Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,279

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Read My Lips

Piqua, OH

#24790 May 21, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
My mistake, I'm clearly new to playing Tea Party Mad Libs. Let me try again:
Isn't it Springboro BOE President, Kelly Kohls, who is all over the Tea Party circuit, "threatening" to continue with disrespectful "bullying" of our parents and teachers, until they "listen" to her demands that the Board be given "respect."
I know we're all trolling in the snake pit, just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
Sorry, Open Springboro, but please Read My Lips:
NO ADDIITONAL LEVIES NEEDED FOR SCHOOL AND CCFD IN NOVEMBER.
Your neighbors will politely sit through your grandstanding maney acts for M-O-O-R-E job security, increased wages and benefits for union employees at our public meetings; but Open Springboro Case for New November Taxes is DOA; Case Closed in the minds of citizens for responsible spending. Enough Is Enough! And our local governments are already collecting Enough tax revenue to provide our citizens with adequate services.
Standing Strong

Piqua, OH

#24791 May 21, 2013
Transparency Scares wrote:
<quoted text>
Kelley tells the truth, lifts the rocks an encourages others to watch the cockroaches to scurry about.
Standing Strong in support of our BOE president, Dr. Kelly Kohls,
who is a Springboro Parent standing strong for Our Children First.

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#24792 May 21, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
Kelly Kohls involvement in the Tea Party affects her performance on the BOE how? Should we not be proud to have someone such as a Dr Kohls as our BOE President, that is involved in and respected by other organizations. Or would you rather have the bump on a logs that we have had in the past that show up at BOE meetings, look at their phones and watches all night long, rubber stamp whatever the SEA demands without ever questioning the status quo?
I suck at trolling mainly because I'm a sucker for honest questions and a good debate. Of course, this will only set me up for further attacks, but here goes!

To answer your question, I agree with your premise, but do not feel that handing our school system over to the Tea Party is a good idea for for reasons:

1. I do not believe that teaching Creationism will help improve our academic ratings.
2. I do not believe that teachers with guns are necessary in one of the top performing schools in Ohio.
3. I do not believe that private schools out-perform public schools, nor that our school system should be sold to the private sector.
4. I do not believe that the Constitution was delivered by God in order to ensure that His people were prosperous in the New World, nor that this should be taught during Constitution Week.

Contrary to the trolls who attack everyone that disagrees with them and labels them Communists, what I believe is very simple:

1. I believe in the Rule of Law.
2. I believe in Networked Communities.
3. I believe in Open Government.

Anything else that is attributed to me on these boards is simply trolling.
Curious

Hilliard, OH

#24793 May 21, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
I suck at trolling mainly because I'm a sucker for honest questions and a good debate. Of course, this will only set me up for further attacks, but here goes!
To answer your question, I agree with your premise, but do not feel that handing our school system over to the Tea Party is a good idea for for reasons:
1. I do not believe that teaching Creationism will help improve our academic ratings.
2. I do not believe that teachers with guns are necessary in one of the top performing schools in Ohio.
3. I do not believe that private schools out-perform public schools, nor that our school system should be sold to the private sector.
4. I do not believe that the Constitution was delivered by God in order to ensure that His people were prosperous in the New World, nor that this should be taught during Constitution Week.
Contrary to the trolls who attack everyone that disagrees with them and labels them Communists, what I believe is very simple:
1. I believe in the Rule of Law.
2. I believe in Networked Communities.
3. I believe in Open Government.
Anything else that is attributed to me on these boards is simply trolling.
1) Where do you find an official Tea Party platform that espouses this idea?
2) Want to bet that teachers with guns feel more secure when someone is shooting at them than teachers without a way to protect themselves aside from reminding the psychopath that this is a gun free zone?
3) If 80% of junior high children failing a state achievement assessment in math is your idea of out performing anyone, your standards are subterranean.
4) That sounds like your tinfoil hat is not on tight enough, can you actually site a reference for this distorted view of reality?

The rule of law is something we all adhere to oh great master of the obvious. Phony declaration, typical communistic union shtick.

Networked communities sounds so now, but has been around since man began developing settlements together. Another phony declaration of grandeur and pseudo hipness that states the obvious.

Open government, sounds great, what does it really mean? The current BOE's transparency project must be sending tingles down your leg.

Springboro, Ohio

#24794 May 21, 2013
Curious wrote:
Open government, sounds great, what does it really mean? The current BOE's transparency project must be sending tingles down your leg.
Send me a PM if you want to start working on my biography. As for your last question (above): I don't know! It's like The Invisible Hand of the Free Market; Open Government is just something I believe in.

In fact, those tingles were so strong that I ran right up to David Petroni the first chance I could, and told him that I loved their transparency project, so much that I'm building on his idea and making the contract not only transparent, but interactive and accessible to everyone!

BEHOLD: http://rapgenius.com/Springboro-board-of-educ...

I'll tell you something else that I shared with the Board: There's a fast moving train headed our way. RapGenius is in love with the way I'm using their platform, and they're invested in helping to open the contract negotiations. I don't what's going to happen, but I'm willing to bet that things are just about to get real interesting.
Curiouser

Cleveland, OH

#24795 May 21, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Send me a PM if you want to start working on my biography. As for your last question (above): I don't know! It's like The Invisible Hand of the Free Market; Open Government is just something I believe in.
So open government is like God, welcome to the light. By the way, what was here before the Big Bang filled it up? And where did the particle that exploded come from if there was nothing before? Simply musing.
huh

Ashburn, VA

#24796 May 21, 2013
Curiouser wrote:
<quoted text>
So open government is like God, welcome to the light. By the way, what was here before the Big Bang filled it up? And where did the particle that exploded come from if there was nothing before? Simply musing.
?
Support Our Success

Piqua, OH

#24797 May 22, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but maybe I am a bit naive. I have never been on the "tea party circuit" can you explain what that is?
Maybe throw in a few specific examples of Dr Kohls "threatening to "threatening" to continue with disrespectful "bullying" of our parents and teachers, until they "listen" to her demands that the Board be given "respect."
In all seriousness, I have never been to a Tea party event, never donned a tri corner hat, never even vsupported a teap party candidate hat I am aware of. But can you explain to me what is so god awful about those that engage in grass roots organizatonis such as the tea party? What have they done as an organization that has left such a venomous taste in your mouth?
Kelly Kohls involvement in the Tea Party affects her performance on the BOE how? Should we not be proud to have someone such as a Dr Kohls as our BOE President, that is involved in and respected by other organizations. Or would you rather have the bump on a logs that we have had in the past that show up at BOE meetings, look at their phones and watches all night long, rubber stamp whatever the SEA demands without ever questioning the status quo?
Me? I'll take the person that is not afraid to be involved, ask tough questions, do research, make informed decisions, then have the guts to stand behind them. Some might call that leadership. Too bad recent past BOE presidents, Scott Anderson, Craig Colston come to mind, lacked that quality...IMHO.
Springboro Loves Our Children First!

Springboro Parent and BOE President, Kelly Kohls, is all about
putting our students individual achievements first in every fiscally responsible decision! Thank You, Dr. Kohls!
Freedom of speech

Girard, OH

#24798 May 22, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
My mistake, I'm clearly new to playing Tea Party Mad Libs. Let me try again:
Isn't it Springboro BOE President, Kelly Kohls, who is all over the Tea Party circuit, "threatening" to continue with disrespectful "bullying" of our parents and teachers, until they "listen" to her demands that the Board be given "respect."
I know we're all trolling in the snake pit, just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
Open Springboro, you are my hero!
Burning Question

Piqua, OH

#24799 May 22, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact, those tingles were so strong that I ran right up to David Petroni the first chance I could, and told him that I loved their transparency project, so much that I'm building on his idea and making the contract not only transparent, but interactive and accessible to everyone!
BEHOLD: http://rapgenius.com/Springboro-board-of-educ...
I'll tell you something else that I shared with the Board: There's a fast moving train headed our way. RapGenius is in love with the way I'm using their platform, and they're invested in helping to open the contract negotiations. I don't what's going to happen, but I'm willing to bet that things are just about to get real interesting.
Question everything, lest even the "elect" be taken in by clever deceit of the unnecessary evil love of greed for More than
is needed.....

The way I see it, Christopher Ritter, shouldn't everything you post on Open Springboro bear the rubber stamped Union transparent trademark....Liar! Liar! Pants on fire...?
Now wouldn't that be awesome?
Heart Burn

United States

#24801 May 22, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is trolling?
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa...There ya go getting all David Bowmanesque one me. Who said anyting about handing our school system over to the Tea Party. Kelly Kohls is one member of the BOE and as far as I know the only person on the BOE that is affiliated with the TP. But the question I asked is what is so bad about that and what is so bad about the TP as a whole?
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Will it decrease them? Will it actually hurt a single thing? To be honest, I think this entire creationism thing is a distraction that gives those that look for stuff to nit pick a reason to complain. But IF the BOE is seriously considering it I would advise them to look for bigger fish to fry than creating a controversy where none should exist.
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this even a topic of discussion still? The entire topic was reactionary at best...but then again the entire national debate about guns is reactionary. But since you brought it up. I have no problem what so ever if the BOE granted the right to well trained responsible teachers carry & conceal on school property. I don't see what the problem is. It would be a better deterrant, IMHO, than an armed guard out in front of a building. Qualilfied trained teachers spread throughout the buildings that may or may not be CCW on any given day disrupts teaching how?
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe statistics would prove your point otherwise. Who is advocating selling our school system to the private sector? You can't make these broad accusations without backing them up somehow.
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? This is an actual concern? Who gives a rats ass if this is taught or not? What is the harm, other than those that oppose it are making it into a bigger distraction than it would normally be otherwise.

Since you like a good debate and honest questions, I will c&p those honest questions you skipped over in the post you responded too:
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
...I have never been on the "tea party circuit" can you explain what that is?
Maybe throw in a few specific examples of Dr Kohls "threatening to "threatening" to continue with disrespectful "bullying" of our parents and teachers, until they "listen" to her demands that the Board be given "respect."
...But can you explain to me what is so god awful about those that engage in grass roots organizatonis such as the tea party?

What have they done as an organization that has left such a venomous taste in your mouth?

Kelly Kohls involvement in the Tea Party affects her performance on the BOE how?

Should we not be proud to have someone such as a Dr Kohls as our BOE President, that is involved in and respected by other organizations?

Or would you rather have the bump on a logs that we have had in the past that show up at BOE meetings, look at their phones and watches all night long, rubber stamp whatever the SEA demands without ever questioning the status quo?...

Springboro, Ohio

#24803 May 22, 2013
Burning Question wrote:
The way I see it, Christopher Ritter, shouldn't everything you post on Open Springboro bear the rubber stamped Union transparent trademark....Liar! Liar! Pants on fire...?
Now wouldn't that be awesome?
You're trying, aren't you? Lets see how the Union reacts before putting their stamp on my open contract. All I know is that the Board was excited to see someone building on to their efforts.
LOL

Piqua, OH

#24804 May 22, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
You're trying, aren't you? Lets see how the Union reacts before putting their stamp on my open contract. All I know is that the Board was excited to see someone building on to their efforts.
Trying What?

Will you try answering these questions?

(I do not choose to visit your rapping genius website).

Is your name Christopher Ritter?

Are you a taxpaying resident/voter in the Springboro school district?

Are you "insinuating" on this blog that You are "working on your Open Springboro" project with approval of the Board?"

And to which Board, specifically, are you referring?

For someone posting as Open Springboro, advocating for open government, your posts are quite vague in specifics.
Question Everything

Piqua, OH

#24805 May 22, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is trolling?
<quoted text>
Whoa...There ya go getting all David Bowmanesque one me. Who said anyting about handing our school system over to the Tea Party. Kelly Kohls is one member of the BOE and as far as I know the only person on the BOE that is affiliated with the TP. But the question I asked is what is so bad about that and what is so bad about the TP as a whole?
<quoted text>
Will it decrease them? Will it actually hurt a single thing? To be honest, I think this entire creationism thing is a distraction that gives those that look for stuff to nit pick a reason to complain. But IF the BOE is seriously considering it I would advise them to look for bigger fish to fry than creating a controversy where none should exist.
<quoted text>
Is this even a topic of discussion still? The entire topic was reactionary at best...but then again the entire national debate about guns is reactionary. But since you brought it up. I have no problem what so ever if the BOE granted the right to well trained responsible teachers carry & conceal on school property. I don't see what the problem is. It would be a better deterrant, IMHO, than an armed guard out in front of a building. Qualilfied trained teachers spread throughout the buildings that may or may not be CCW on any given day disrupts teaching how?
<quoted text>
I believe statistics would prove your point otherwise. Who is advocating selling our school system to the private sector? You can't make these broad accusations without backing them up somehow.
<quoted text>
Really? This is an actual concern? Who gives a rats ass if this is taught or not? What is the harm, other than those that oppose it are making it into a bigger distraction than it would normally be otherwise.
Since you like a good debate and honest questions, I will c&p those honest questions you skipped over in the post you responded too:
<quoted text>
Is it possible that the Union has hired in TWO wackos to do their "professional" bully attacks against Springboro taxpayers?
Is a double punch at our School Board Representatives to be expected on May 23? One from David Bowman and the SURE mommies for increased taxes; and another from genius rapper Christopher Ritter?
Heart Burn

United States

#24806 May 22, 2013
Question Everything wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it possible that the Union has hired in TWO wackos to do their "professional" bully attacks against Springboro taxpayers?
Is a double punch at our School Board Representatives to be expected on May 23? One from David Bowman and the SURE mommies for increased taxes; and another from genius rapper Christopher Ritter?
Now now...let's not resort to name calling.

However are you suggesting that the SEA pays David Bowman to write his hyperbole filled blogs and editorials? Are you sure?
The Scoffer

Piqua, OH

#24807 May 22, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
Now now...let's not resort to name calling.
However are you suggesting that the SEA pays David Bowman to write his hyperbole filled blogs and editorials? Are you sure?
No way does SEA pay David Bowman; Mr. Bowman attacks his neighbors for the SURE pleasure of being biggest bully on the block!
(or in the board room)
Bowman Scary

Brunswick, OH

#24808 May 22, 2013
The Scoffer wrote:
<quoted text>
No way does SEA pay David Bowman; Mr. Bowman attacks his neighbors for the SURE pleasure of being biggest bully on the block!
(or in the board room)
If Mr Bowman makes you wet your pants you might have issues
the scoop

Girard, OH

#24809 May 22, 2013
Bowman Scary wrote:
<quoted text>
If Mr Bowman makes you wet your pants you might have issues
Speaking of issues, only magazine stands have more than Bowman.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24810 May 22, 2013
And now back to the children

2000 plus children in our district are not getting the education the taxpayers are funding today.

Where is the union on that single salient point?

The union is not producing the results for which we, the taxpayers, are funding them to produce.

An 80% failure rate in the junior high on the math section of the Ohio Achievement Assessment tests that has been ongoing for as long as Ms. Cook has been principal.

Ms Cook's response in the face of a bulge in student population hitting her school was to reduce instruction time for each child.

She proclaimed it as a great thing that she got the union to agree to teach roughly 30 more children a day by reducing instruction time from 48 minutes a class to 42 minutes per class.

The 80% of the children are receiving a D or F and Ms. Cook and the union's solution is to reduce classroom instruction time.

How much did 6 minutes per day x 180 days = 1080 minutes or 18 hours

At the old 48 minute classes that amounts to 22.5 FEWER days of instruction
in a class where 80% of the kids receive a D or F.

22.5 days is roughly one month of school LESS on a subject that sees 80% if the children receive a D or F.

Ms Cook was lauded for her uncanny ability to cheat the children for the benefit of the union members.

Ms. Cook did not reallocate her resources to drop junior high "electives" and move them into defined areas of need in the core courses of math and english where overwhelming numbers of children were struggling.

No, Ms Cook's response was to protect union jobs in areas that offered scant educational return rather than opt to strongly support student achievement.

Let the readers decide if such "achievement" is really excellent with distinction.

8th Grade 2011-2012 Ohio Achievement Assessment Tests Results.
Math .......50 possible points on the test
State Rating System and distribution of students for the 8th grade
Limited.......... 3 Students
Limited.......... 20% was the Average score for this group
Limited..........definition--0 -10 correct answers =(0-20% correct)
Basic..........25 Students
Basic ..........27% was the Average score for this group
Basic..........definition--11- 15 correct answers =(22-30% correct)
Proficient........174 Students
Proficient........47% was the Average score for this group
Proficient.........definition- -16-29 correct answers =(32-58% correct)
Accelerated.....159 Students
Accelerated.....67% was the Average score for this group
Accelerated.....definition--30 -36 correct answers =(60-72% correct)
Advanced........77 Students
Advanced........85% was the Average score for this group
Advanced........definition--37 -50 correct answers =(74-100% correct)

Applying Mr. Malone's same grading system used for assigning percentages to grades earned in the college credit program (PSEO)
F.....Below 62.99% correct answers.......239 Students
Percentage of Students.....55% receiving F

D..... 63%- 74.99% correct answers......108 Students
Percentage of Students.....25% receiving D

C......75%- 84.99% correct answers........49 Students
Percentage of Students.....11% receiving C

B..... 85%- 92.99% correct answers........36 Students
Percentage of Students.....8% receiving B

A..... 93% correct answers and above.....6 Students
Percentage of Students.....1% receiving A
Is this the level of achievement to which we wish to aspire in Springboro?
Is this the best we are capable of given our resources?
Should we continue to allow the schools and the state to hide behind euphemisms rather than actual achievement?
Demand better, our children and taxpayers deserve a real return on our investment in our schools.
Question Everything

Piqua, OH

#24811 May 23, 2013
Just Wondering .... wasn't Ms. Cook recently rewarded for job badly done with a promotion to district office and a big salary increase? Aren't taxpayers locked into a three year contract now with Ms. Cook? What's the deal with that big administrative move?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 min WARRIOR 19,282
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 31,466
greene county humane society 12 hr Tina 3
Dennis Gannon trying to cover his past! 15 hr happy camper 2
For readers, not breeders and bottom feeders: 17 hr Fan of Leon The Man 2
"Reading is old-school cool!" 17 hr Leon Harrison 1
PRICHARD-Butler-Ison, Katrina Mon David M 1
Springboro Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Springboro Jobs

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springboro News, Events & Info