Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,515

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Heart Burn

United States

#24770 May 21, 2013
You Betcha wrote:
<quoted text>
I would love to see a typical public school teacher receive a fair day's pay for a fair day's work without greedily envying what others have and constantly complaining "that's not fair!"
A typical public school teach DOES receive a fair days pay for a fair days work. See my example above. If you think 66,000+/year is unfair for a 5-7 hour work day then you may want to re-evaluate your perception of fairness.

I don't see those that go to work for 8, 10, 12 hours a day 12 months a year in order to pay their property taxes so that those that choose to work 6-7 hours a day 180 days a year can get paid an equivalent of 66,000 a year as "greedily envying what others have and constantly complaing that's not fair!" What I see is that the majority of those that live in this community are tired of listening to teachers that have chosen a their 180 day work year complain that paying a fraction of what those that work 265 days to pay the teachers salaries for great benefits.

If a public union employee wants to talk "fairness" then pay 35% of your own family health care benefits, take no pay raises (steps included), have perks cut, cuts in retirement benefits, give up bonuses, to start...just as those in the private sector have been doing for many years...You know, those that work to pay the difference in the the health care benefits, in sick days, personal days, early retirements, step increase, COLA increase, bonuses.

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#24772 May 21, 2013
poundsand wrote:
Pay no attention to to the man behind the curtain 'open springboro'.
Excellent job, anonymous mudslinger! Manufacture discontent, avert attention from the wholesale of our public schools to private investors.

Your bait-and-switch tactics aren't as successful as the marketing packet you received to destroy the destroy our public education system. You should really stay on point and get back to copying and pasting more threats against the Unions and shed more crocodile tears about being bullied.
Media Man

Piqua, OH

#24773 May 21, 2013
Just Watch the Movie Atlas Shrugged And You Will Never Say Yes To Another Tax Increase Allowing Your Local Government to OWN more of your Family HOME!
Our government leaders should focus on creating "equal opportunity for Individual Achievement" while living within its mean, and stop forcing taxes supporting the unattainable
fair share laws of "Equal Outcome For ALL."
LOL

Piqua, OH

#24774 May 21, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent job, anonymous mudslinger! Manufacture discontent, avert attention from the wholesale of our public schools to private investors.
Your bait-and-switch tactics aren't as successful as the marketing packet you received to destroy the destroy our public education system. You should really stay on point and get back to copying and pasting more threats against the Unions and shed more crocodile tears about being bullied.
How Silly of "Open Springboro" to attack ANONYMOUS mudslinger!

LOL...There are NO threats against the unions....

Isn't it Springboro Parent, David Bowman, who is all over the local newspapers "threatening" to continue with disrespectful "bullying" of our children first BOE
representatives, until "they listen" to his demands that teachers be given "respect?"

Taxpayers Get No Respect

Piqua, OH

#24775 May 21, 2013
In Due Respect to Springboro Taxpayers and Our BOE Elected Officials....

why doesn't Mr. Maney just Tear Down those Rows of Red Ribbons in protest against Taxpayers and just Get this employment contract all wrapped up for our wonderful school teachers' job security, and sense of enjoyment for Summer Vacation 2013!
Vote with Your Wallet

Grafton, OH

#24776 May 21, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Start buying Alcoa stock, I think someone is starting to make foil hats to protect himself from the Tea Party brain washing machine!.
Heart Burn

United States

#24777 May 21, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
How Silly of "Open Springboro" to attack ANONYMOUS mudslinger!
Isn't it Springboro Parent, David Bowman, who is all over the local newspapers "threatening" to continue with disrespectful "bullying" of our children first BOE
representatives, until "they listen" to his demands that teachers be given "respect?"
I have read most of Mr Bowmans articles, if you can call them that. IMHO they should be on the editorial pages. He is an eloquent writerr, I'll give him that. But is it just me or have others noticed there is very littel substance to his writings. What I mean is, everything he writes is flowery emotional subjective opinions. He never gives specifics on whatever topic he is writing about. Example...He tells us he has read both contract proposals. Then he tells us how unfair the BOE proposal is, but it is always subjective opinion with a lot of adjectives thrown in about respect, fighting for the teachers, winning the battles, etc. But he never tells us what he personally finds so unfair about the BOE proposal. And this is a pattern in all his blogs and opinion pieces. It's always just his opinion but never an obejctive informed opinion with specifics of what he is actualling raging against. But those of BoroSure and public union employees lap it up because they already agree with whatever his opinion is going to be before they ever actually read what he is writing, regardless of content. I understand it's a tactic the left uses quite often, never give specifics, never give solutions, only point out some percieved wrong and then rail against it as ifthe perception is reality. Use a lot of flowery adjectives to rally support...but above all, don't be specific.

Using this tactic to divide the community instead of using his platform to objectively inform the community is kinda of a crock in my opinion.
unionmans gauntlet

Girard, OH

#24778 May 21, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I see your logic: the Board doesn't control the resources of the taxpayers, they simply pay private legal firms to investigate turning our public schools into charter schools, so that we can decide which for-profit schools we can send our kids to.
http://www.abc22now.com/shared/news/top-stori...
Isn't it awesome knowing that there aren't any unions to protect their employees, thus affording us the opportunity to select teachers who make less than minimum wage without health insurance? I mean, that's what makes Walmart so awesome, as their employees are worth a dime a dozen to them, the same as their products.
Hey there, Mr. Unionman!
Please do us all the courtesy of providing names/locations of communities within the U.S. where a development of a charter school ultimately resulted in those given community's parents having for their children a... DECREASED... number of K-12 options.
Choice is Good

Grafton, OH

#24779 May 21, 2013
unionmans gauntlet wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey there, Mr. Unionman!
Please do us all the courtesy of providing names/locations of communities within the U.S. where a development of a charter school ultimately resulted in those given community's parents having for their children a... DECREASED... number of K-12 options.
Unions don't like real choice, they like phony choices that mean nothing and maintain their cash flow. Unions are big business and their product is selling labor, just like P&G sells Tide. The main difference is Tide has more quality control in its business model. If 80% of washings done with Tide failed, Tide would soon die in the free market. Other more successful brands would take its place. Not so with public education, here you can just keep right on failing at an 80% clip on the state math test in the 8th grade and fear no retribution from the market. No choice means no improvement and no consequences for failure.
See why the union wants to limit parents and taxpayers choice?
Crisis In Progress

Piqua, OH

#24780 May 21, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read most of Mr Bowmans articles, if you can call them that. IMHO they should be on the editorial pages. He is an eloquent writerr, I'll give him that. But is it just me or have others noticed there is very littel substance to his writings. What I mean is, everything he writes is flowery emotional subjective opinions. He never gives specifics on whatever topic he is writing about. Example...He tells us he has read both contract proposals. Then he tells us how unfair the BOE proposal is, but it is always subjective opinion with a lot of adjectives thrown in about respect, fighting for the teachers, winning the battles, etc. But he never tells us what he personally finds so unfair about the BOE proposal. And this is a pattern in all his blogs and opinion pieces. It's always just his opinion but never an obejctive informed opinion with specifics of what he is actualling raging against. But those of BoroSure and public union employees lap it up because they already agree with whatever his opinion is going to be before they ever actually read what he is writing, regardless of content. I understand it's a tactic the left uses quite often, never give specifics, never give solutions, only point out some percieved wrong and then rail against it as ifthe perception is reality. Use a lot of flowery adjectives to rally support...but above all, don't be specific.
Using this tactic to divide the community instead of using his platform to objectively inform the community is kinda of a crock in my opinion.
And, most of all, NEVER, let a "crisis" go to waste!
No Crisis? No Problem!

Just form a Pity Party and spread it around quickly through social networking of the "inside school community" before the "outside community" catches on to the truth! Then assemble a few Springboro parents like David Bowman and Lisa Babb to pounce upon the board members like Angry Birds vowing to Vote for Revenge and Take Back "our" board!(Remember the March 2012 false employment crisis created on behalf of "Save Dr. Malone." Remember Mr. Maney ran to the DDN to tattle-tale that his "staff" was not happy with our newly-elected board representatives, and that a "crisis board meeting" must be held so that Mr. Malone's grief-stricken students could interrogate these board members that were doing harm to our children (all dressed in black) by trying to push out their beloved high school principal.
Well, guess what.... Now we have our grief stricken youth union activists wearing the "red" to protest "living within our means" in our school budget that is paying our students beloved teachers into generous retirements! It appears that Forced Unionism is Priceless; and now all force against our children first board members must be used to keep these highly paid union members on the active payroll (paying those high union dues). To the SEA, education is all about the MONEY, and who has the power and control of that MONEY!
Heart Burn

United States

#24781 May 21, 2013
Crisis In Progress wrote:
<quoted text>
No Crisis? No Problem!
Just form a Pity Party and spread it around quickly through social networking of the "inside school community" before the "outside community" catches on to the truth! Then assemble a few Springboro parents like David Bowman and Lisa Babb to pounce upon the board members like Angry Birds vowing to Vote for Revenge and Take Back "our" board!(Remember the March 2012 false employment crisis created on behalf of "Save Dr. Malone." Remember Mr. Maney ran to the DDN to tattle-tale that his "staff" was not happy with our newly-elected board representatives, and that a "crisis board meeting" must be held so that Mr. Malone's grief-stricken students could interrogate these board members that were doing harm to our children (all dressed in black) by trying to push out their beloved high school principal.
Yea its all about "battles, fighting, winning the war, not giving up, standing up, bullying" are just some of the buzz words they like to throw around. Instead of eworrying about winning some perceived war, how about looking at how good things are in our district and what a great job our BOE is doing in being stewards of the kids getting a great education and fiscal responsability. My gut feeling is, if Lisa Babb was on the BOE and advocating the same things this board is...all would be peachy with those the like to "wage battles" against this current BOE. Talk about micromanaging...this BOE can't pop a squat without the "fighters" squaking about it.

Speaking of that circus that was Babb, Carlisle Christman et al creating hysteria over Dr Malone being asked to serve the district in a larger capacity. After all the dust settled, I wonder if those running the 3 ring circus that was the Malone Fiasco realize that Dr. Malone later inquired about wanting the job that was originally offered by this BOE. Another battle lost.

Don't believe me...request a freedom of information act into Dr Malones emails to the BOE.
can see this coming

Girard, OH

#24782 May 21, 2013
Crisis In Progress wrote:
<quoted text>
No Crisis? No Problem!
Well, guess what.... Now we have our grief stricken youth union activists wearing the "red" to protest "living within our means" in our school budget that is paying our students beloved teachers into generous retirements! It appears that Forced Unionism is Priceless; and now all force against our children first board members must be used to keep these highly paid union members on the active payroll (paying those high union dues). To the SEA, education is all about the MONEY, and who has the power and control of that MONEY!
May 23rd @ this coming Thursday's night's 7PM board meeting.
Without question we're going to be treated to political slant from pro-union types about the heroism of the Oklahoma teachers that as tornados approached, unselfishly threw their bodies atop those of their students.

Not to take a speck of respect away from these, or any other teacher that may someday find themselves in this type of tragic or emergency situation, but this exact level of unselfishness in a crisis is to be expected of ANY PERSON of sound mind and body, be they business owners / employees, members of clergy, public servants, and of course parents & relatives.
And the People Said Amen

Piqua, OH

#24783 May 21, 2013
can see this coming wrote:
<quoted text>
May 23rd @ this coming Thursday's night's 7PM board meeting.
Without question we're going to be treated to political slant from pro-union types about the heroism of the Oklahoma teachers that as tornados approached, unselfishly threw their bodies atop those of their students.
Not to take a speck of respect away from these, or any other teacher that may someday find themselves in this type of tragic or emergency situation, but this exact level of unselfishness in a crisis is to be expected of ANY PERSON of sound mind and body, be they business owners / employees, members of clergy, public servants, and of course parents & relatives.
Totally agree. The way I see it, in the best interest of our community members attending the public school board meeting, and our TV audience, our Springboro School Board of Educatin Members Must be Pro-Active in their response to those who may be tempted to exploit their own political agendas by "grasping this moment of crisis."
Would it not be most respectful and appropriate for our Board leadership, after calling the meeting to order, to simply acknowledge this great tragedy in Oklahoma by a moment of SILENCE allowing everyone to show respect in individual contemplation.
Would not this be much better for the overall positive tone and tenor; rather than allow the dramatic grandstanding that was seen by a few Springboro parents at public meetings during the recent school tragedy in Newtown?
It is offensive for those who attend board meetings to be informed(rather than to perform) to to be held "captive" audience at public board meetings, subjected to this tongue lashing fury of a "few bad citizens" spewing out personal anger and hostility toward our good BOE members, who are working tirelessly making Springboro a better place to live, work, learn and play sports.
Just Super

Piqua, OH

#24784 May 21, 2013
Totally agree. The way I see it, in the best interest of our community members attending the public school board meeting, and our TV audience, our Springboro Schools Superintendent, Mr. Petrey, must join with our Board of Education members AND be pro-active in their response to those who may be tempted to exploit their own political agendas by "grasping this moment of crisis."
Would it not be most respectful and appropriate for our Board leadership, after calling the meeting to order, to simply acknowledge this great tragedy in Oklahoma by a moment of SILENCE allowing everyone to show respect in individual contemplation.
Would not this be much better for the overall positive tone and tenor; rather than allow the dramatic grandstanding that was seen by a few Springboro parents at public meetings during the recent school tragedy in Newtown?
It is offensive for those who attend board meetings to be informed(rather than to perform) to to be held "captive" audience at public board meetings, subjected to this tongue lashing fury of a "few bad citizens" spewing out personal anger and hostility toward our good BOE members, who are working tirelessly making Springboro a better place to live, work, learn and play sports.

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#24785 May 21, 2013
LOL wrote:
My mistake, I'm clearly new to playing Tea Party Mad Libs. Let me try again:

Isn't it Springboro BOE President, Kelly Kohls, who is all over the Tea Party circuit, "threatening" to continue with disrespectful "bullying" of our parents and teachers, until they "listen" to her demands that the Board be given "respect."

I know we're all trolling in the snake pit, just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
stars on thars

Girard, OH

#24786 May 21, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah! You mean like that list of insightful / inspirational Dr. Seuss quotes hijacked by our friends at SURE ?!?
Heart Burn

United States

#24787 May 21, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it Springboro BOE President, Kelly Kohls, who is all over the Tea Party circuit, "threatening" to continue with disrespectful "bullying" of our parents and teachers, until they "listen" to her demands that the Board be given "respect."
I know we're all trolling in the snake pit, just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
I'm sorry, but maybe I am a bit naive. I have never been on the "tea party circuit" can you explain what that is?

Maybe throw in a few specific examples of Dr Kohls "threatening to "threatening" to continue with disrespectful "bullying" of our parents and teachers, until they "listen" to her demands that the Board be given "respect."

In all seriousness, I have never been to a Tea party event, never donned a tri corner hat, never even vsupported a teap party candidate hat I am aware of. But can you explain to me what is so god awful about those that engage in grass roots organizatonis such as the tea party? What have they done as an organization that has left such a venomous taste in your mouth?

Kelly Kohls involvement in the Tea Party affects her performance on the BOE how? Should we not be proud to have someone such as a Dr Kohls as our BOE President, that is involved in and respected by other organizations. Or would you rather have the bump on a logs that we have had in the past that show up at BOE meetings, look at their phones and watches all night long, rubber stamp whatever the SEA demands without ever questioning the status quo?
Me? I'll take the person that is not afraid to be involved, ask tough questions, do research, make informed decisions, then have the guts to stand behind them. Some might call that leadership. Too bad recent past BOE presidents, Scott Anderson, Craig Colston come to mind, lacked that quality...IMHO.
wormhole

Girard, OH

#24788 May 21, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
The Kelly Kohls you're referring to may exist in another universe, possibly on the opposite side of a wormhole.
In THIS universe, Dr. Kelly Kohls, President of Springboro Board of Education, is 100% dedicated to seeing that district resources are managed in such a way that our children receive the best educations possible. I have known Kelly since before she was elected. Dr. Kelly Kohls does not attempt to bully anyone into accepting her set of beliefs, nor does she ask others to compromise their beliefs. What she does a great deal of is encourage the public's participation in helping her (with progressive groups such as OSBLC) to improve the overall future for education.

After years of empty threats to the public and fiscal neglect neglect through Baker & Detwiller, Kelly's BOE has a huge measure of respect from this entire community for bringing accountability to Springboro schools. So, who are these anti-Kohls naysayers? Like Kohls, these anti-Kohls naysayers are 100% about the best educations possible for Springboro's students.
The key difference is philosophy in that the anti-Kohls effort being led by the SEA is all about this Scott Maney wet-dream: Toss taxpayers' money straight up into the air! First create a need, then fill it with tax dollars! Maney will tell you straight to your face that the secret ingredient in keeping that good ol' Panther Pride a rollin' is securing extra cash flow, especially into the back pockets and purses of the teachers!!

Because they support the educational needs of Springboro schools students, Miller, Kohls, Rigano, Petroni & Kull must support teachers. However, in this context, the word "support" should not in any way be confused with the phrase... "pay eternal homage to". Any responsible, functional public school Board of Education will attempt to work together in a PRACTICAL, FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE MANNER for the mutual benefit of everyone connected to that given district- students, teachers/staff, parents/ taxpayers as well as business owners.

Open Springboro I'm so glad you brought up the subject of snakepits. There's no question the majority of district voters would much rather have Kohls and her Tea Party connection than have any association with the local socialist sympathizing organization Springboro Education Association - led by Scott Maney, the slimiest of snakes to be found in the pit.
Transparency Scares

Grafton, OH

#24789 May 21, 2013
Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but maybe I am a bit naive. I have never been on the "tea party circuit" can you explain what that is?
Maybe throw in a few specific examples of Dr Kohls "threatening to "threatening" to continue with disrespectful "bullying" of our parents and teachers, until they "listen" to her demands that the Board be given "respect."
In all seriousness, I have never been to a Tea party event, never donned a tri corner hat, never even vsupported a teap party candidate hat I am aware of. But can you explain to me what is so god awful about those that engage in grass roots organizatonis such as the tea party? What have they done as an organization that has left such a venomous taste in your mouth?
Kelly Kohls involvement in the Tea Party affects her performance on the BOE how? Should we not be proud to have someone such as a Dr Kohls as our BOE President, that is involved in and respected by other organizations. Or would you rather have the bump on a logs that we have had in the past that show up at BOE meetings, look at their phones and watches all night long, rubber stamp whatever the SEA demands without ever questioning the status quo?
Me? I'll take the person that is not afraid to be involved, ask tough questions, do research, make informed decisions, then have the guts to stand behind them. Some might call that leadership. Too bad recent past BOE presidents, Scott Anderson, Craig Colston come to mind, lacked that quality...IMHO.
Kelley tells the truth, lifts the rocks an encourages others to watch the cockroaches to scurry about.
Read My Lips

Piqua, OH

#24790 May 21, 2013
Open Springboro wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, Open Springboro, but please Read My Lips:
NO ADDIITONAL LEVIES NEEDED FOR SCHOOL AND CCFD IN NOVEMBER.
Your neighbors will politely sit through your grandstanding maney acts for M-O-O-R-E job security, increased wages and benefits for union employees at our public meetings; but Open Springboro Case for New November Taxes is DOA; Case Closed in the minds of citizens for responsible spending. Enough Is Enough! And our local governments are already collecting Enough tax revenue to provide our citizens with adequate services.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Diversity Perversity (Apr '11) 4 hr The New Cool Warrior 7
Despite this Hannity Insanity: 4 hr The New Cool Warrior 4
What happens when traffic cameras go away? 4 hr Fan of Leon The Man 3
The Dayton Mall shoe-thief shooter: 6 hr Fan of Leon The Man 12
Don't drive your cars to and from bars! 8 hr Dayton Taxpayer 11
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 13 hr Bently 19,559
Will we have to sign liability-reslease forms? Dec 19 Sky King 1
Springboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:56 pm PST