Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,274

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Excuse Me

Piqua, OH

#22582 Nov 1, 2012
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
Quality Education comes first! As stated in the Springboro Community Schools Bylaws and Policies, Statement of Philosophy "A. The District should strive to provide the best possible education to each student, using public and private funding in the most efficient manner possible." Note what comes first in the sentence - "best possible education to each student"!
Have you just recently learned to read? If not, then why did you not utilize your reading skills and great understanding of "using public and private funding in the most efficient manner possible" way back in 2009 when our former school superintendent David Baker failed to hold former athletic director Troy Holtrey accountable to legal and ethical Sports business practices?

Why were public and private fundings not utilized in the most efficient manner possible during that continuous stream of unnecessary levies holding parents hostage over things like bussing and activities fees? Why were our former school administrators lying to voters that there was no money to buy our kids' textbooks; but these school adminisrtrators (including the athletic director)were receiving yearly salary increases?

Now that we have a "reform minded BOE majority" attacking run-away-labor costs in our school district (instead of attacking hard-working taxpaying homeowners for NEW Money) why are you suddenly trying to prove "putting kids first" can only be done with new taxes? That's union-first malarky.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#22583 Nov 1, 2012
Which former curriculum director purchased $170,000 in books that never left the box?

Which former business manager spent $250,000 on an inadequate wireless system that prepares us for nothing and must be replaced?

Which former administrator failed to collect monies that were due and rightly owed the district from a certain youth basketball program to the tune of $87,000?

All of these people were the ones the newspapers were lauding as irreplaceable assets to the district.

Over $500,000 wasted without a thought and virtually no repercussions. Those three items are just ones we know of, what about all of the stuff they want to bury?
Where Is Accountability

Piqua, OH

#22584 Nov 2, 2012
Just Watching wrote:
Which former curriculum director purchased $170,000 in books that never left the box?
Which former business manager spent $250,000 on an inadequate wireless system that prepares us for nothing and must be replaced?
Which former administrator failed to collect monies that were due and rightly owed the district from a certain youth basketball program to the tune of $87,000?
All of these people were the ones the newspapers were lauding as irreplaceable assets to the district.
Over $500,000 wasted without a thought and virtually no repercussions. Those three items are just ones we know of, what about all of the stuff they want to bury?
Now that we know the truth; we are FREE to keep digging into the failed practices of our school employees,(including malone/creager/holtrey/benjami n/pelfrey/wilhite) who have conducted themselves in leadership practices that are not in the best interest of our Springboro Schools and community.
These school employees who are in denial of any wrong-doing should be held accountable and should not be employed in positions of influence over our school children.
Where Is Accountability

Piqua, OH

#22585 Nov 2, 2012
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them."
-Patrick Henry
long arm salute

Germantown, OH

#22586 Nov 2, 2012
Just Watching wrote:
"All of these people were the ones the newspapers were lauding as irreplaceable assets to the district."

I missed that article! Wait, wait, don't tell me! That was written by one of the parents of our former business manager!
In The News

Piqua, OH

#22587 Nov 2, 2012
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you and Swee Pea married? I don't want to move on to another discussion board - I'm having too much fun getting you two all riled up:) Have either of you even supported the athletic boosters in the last five years? Do you have a personal vendetta with those involved?
As for new levies - no new levies if we can afford to teach our students without it - see we agree:) Although, I want to make sure we are in full agreement (since we agree so often), the quality of the education at Springboro and the students needs should come first - not the communities desire to reduce their tax bill. Yeah I know, before you cry out that we built those schools, I know the financial aspect is a concern but it is not on the top of the list!
Do you know what is "on the top of the list" for Ohio Teachers?

"We Are The Radical Leftists of the NEA And We Have YOUR Kids!"

"Ohio Teachers trying to take union fight from the classroom to the legislature." EAGnews.org
In The News

Piqua, OH

#22588 Nov 2, 2012
Did you know wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think these students know that Dr. Malone asked to be considered for the central office positions in July? For a man that did not want to go??? This news makes a fool of the HS students doesn't it? A shame to be sure.
A shame to be sure...

"We Are the Radical Leftists of the NEA And We Have YOUR Kids!"

"Ohio Teachers trying to take union fight from the classroom to the legislature..."

....If this masquerade pays off for the Democrats, Ohio’s legislature may soon be marching in lockstep with the state’s teachers unions...
EAGnews.org
Question

Piqua, OH

#22589 Nov 2, 2012
Just Watching wrote:
Enlighten me, what books were bought for $170K and not taken out of the box? What were they for and why weren't they used?
Answer

Piqua, OH

#22590 Nov 2, 2012
Get real wrote:
<quoted text>
While I get your opionions regarding the BOE and the teachers union, etc. you are not providing details to help the district.
Should we buy new buses?
Should we buy new computers?
Should we have capital improvements made to our schools?
Should teachers receive competitive wages?
Should we fire all principals currently working in Springboro and hire new ones - or do we need any?
Should we have our students learn via electronic media and no teachers?
How are we going to put in place the common core standards requird by the state - without extra state funding?
Are we prepared when the high school student population will increase significantly within two years due to the class sizes of the 8th and 7th grades?
If not Todd Petry, who do you think is best suited as a superintendent and why?
Should we get rid of all athletics?
Where exactly do you think money would be well spent to help the students????
Also, as I recall, the parent council would be opened up to other parents not just the ones on the list so I am assuming you are involved and will be attending any meetings they plan.
Our school superintendent, Mr. Todd Petrey, has been hired by our Springboro School Board of Education to lead this school district in problem solving ALL of your questions.
That's why ALL school district taxpayers contribute to Mr. Petrey's "biggest salary" ever paid a Springboro superintendent ($130,000/yr. plus benefits).
Mr. Petrey and his staff has a budget to work within to assure a quality education for our students, while living within our means, with NO NEW TAXES.
IF Mr. Petrey is not up to the task, then perhaps he will choose to join the ranks of former Springboro superintendents who had only the ONE "tunnel vision" skill of promoting levies "for the kids."
swee pea

Germantown, OH

#22591 Nov 2, 2012
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you and Swee Pea married? I don't want to move on to another discussion board - I'm having too much fun getting you two all riled up:) Have either of you even supported the athletic boosters in the last five years? Do you have a personal vendetta with those involved?
As for new levies - no new levies if we can afford to teach our students without it - see we agree:) Although, I want to make sure we are in full agreement (since we agree so often), the quality of the education at Springboro and the students needs should come first - not the communities desire to reduce their tax bill. Yeah I know, before you cry out that we built those schools, I know the financial aspect is a concern but it is not on the top of the list!
Our family has long supported sports in Springboro schools. We choose to do this directly, not through Booster fund raisers. Springboro Boosters organizations have had a track record of sketchy leadership and bookkeeping disorganization long before this donation scandal hit the presses. I like to think because of the bad press, the BOE'S slap on the wrist and the auditor's probe, future Springboro Booster operations will begin a shift toward legitimacy.

What have you done in the last five years to support accountability and transparency in both our schools and community?transparency
Mostly Ghostly

Springboro, OH

#22592 Nov 2, 2012
So, controversy in the schools today, the anonymous letter sent around to teachers with a summary of the Parent Council's meeting. Is it accurate, is it misinterpretation?
These parent council meetings are suppose to answer parent concerns (as they are constantly asking for our concerns to take to these administrators) but this anonymous letter is the first I've heard of what's happening.
I thought those "levy ladies" would send out their own summary, much like they do after every board meeting....but it's all crickets. Why is that? What concerns are being presented, from what I heard it's a lot of preaching from the administration, but then again, no one is talking.
bodhisattva

Germantown, OH

#22593 Nov 3, 2012
Mostly Ghostly wrote:
I thought those "levy ladies" would send out their own summary, much like they do after every board meeting....but it's all crickets. Why is that? What concerns are being presented, from what I heard it's a lot of preaching from the administration, but then again, no one is talking.
Hmm, good point! Maybe these levy ladies are satiated with the 1% merit increase announced this past week.

NOT!!!!
Whatever Happened

Piqua, OH

#22594 Nov 3, 2012
ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
She sounds a little unbalanced. Perhaps, that's why they didn't offer her the job.
Whatever happened to Tammy Grigsby's efforts to transfer tax dollars from her neighbors pockets to her own "deep with greed and revenge" pockets? Whatever happened to Tammy Grigsby's "fear and smear" campaign against our reform-minded BOE majority members who are "financially" attacking our school district's runaway "union-labor by fixing our school budget with levy alternatives to spending more than our school district takes in; doing what's right for our children's future with NO NEW TAXES needed?
Whatever Happened

Piqua, OH

#22595 Nov 3, 2012
Mostly Ghostly wrote:
So, controversy in the schools today, the anonymous letter sent around to teachers with a summary of the Parent Council's meeting. Is it accurate, is it misinterpretation?
These parent council meetings are suppose to answer parent concerns (as they are constantly asking for our concerns to take to these administrators) but this anonymous letter is the first I've heard of what's happening.
Whatever happened to direct communication from parents to school district leaders? Isn't "assuring us that our children are receiving the best possible education" what our parents/teachers
conference is all about?
Whatever happened at that September 25th FIRST meeting that our school superintendent organized and held (with the same old group of schoolyard bullies that verbally attack their neighbors, spreading lies throughout our schools, businesses, churches, and parks) BEFORE the superintendent even brought his recommendation to the public school board meeting (which is broadcast throughout our community so that ALL parents have open communication with the school superintendent and his staff?)
Why are we parents bothering to "e-mail our concerns" to Ron Malone's representatives Tiffany Carlisle or Sarah Jobe (or why should parents e-mail our concerns to a "go-between"... such as any of the levy ladies are... on the superintendent's parent council?
dumbo

Germantown, OH

#22596 Nov 3, 2012
Whatever Happened wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are we parents bothering to "e-mail our concerns" to Ron Malone's representatives Tiffany Carlisle or Sarah Jobe (or why should parents e-mail our concerns to a "go-between"... such as any of the levy ladies are... on the superintendent's parent council?
This conjurs up recollections of 60's and '70's era Cincinnati Zoo when kids like us could dispose of paper food garbage simply by placing it directly in front of vacuuming plastic elephants' trunks.
leaf

Dayton, OH

#22597 Nov 3, 2012
dumbo wrote:
<quoted text>
This conjurs up recollections of 60's and '70's era Cincinnati Zoo when kids like us could dispose of paper food garbage simply by placing it directly in front of vacuuming plastic elephants' trunks.
Funny you mention zoo in the same subject manner with Sarah & Tiffany...both would make great zoo specimens.
Clueless

Youngstown, OH

#22598 Nov 3, 2012
Hoping that the teachers and Petrey keep thinking that Babbs (and her side kick Carlisle) is their 'savior'! She is nothing but a 'pot stirrer'! Let the teachers and the SEA have her and then they will see that she really isn't there for them! Babbs is only in it for herself!
Credibility

Springboro, OH

#22599 Nov 4, 2012
long arm salute wrote:
<quoted text>
"All of these people were the ones the newspapers were lauding as irreplaceable assets to the district."
I missed that article! Wait, wait, don't tell me! That was written by one of the parents of our former business manager!
There is no media source worth the time it takes us to read their stupid nonsense. The media is copable for the sad state of affairs of this community and this country. Irreplaceable my hinny. Every past admin is replaceable-oops I think we have and the ladies were devastated and a certain past BOE member has been quoted to say someth8ing more sinister is going on. What could that possible be? I know to clean house of those that have been taking from the kids to pad their own pockets or cover up for those that do not work. I thank GOD that they have all left now the kids have a fighting chance to get what we all pay for.
Credibility

Springboro, OH

#22600 Nov 4, 2012
In The News wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know what is "on the top of the list" for Ohio Teachers?
"We Are The Radical Leftists of the NEA And We Have YOUR Kids!"
"Ohio Teachers trying to take union fight from the classroom to the legislature." EAGnews.org
WOW this media is worth reading. Now we know what is really going on.
Lots of great articles I signed up for future articles. Thanks
Parent Council

Springboro, OH

#22601 Nov 4, 2012
Whatever Happened wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever happened to direct communication from parents to school district leaders? Isn't "assuring us that our children are receiving the best possible education" what our parents/teachers
conference is all about?
Whatever happened at that September 25th FIRST meeting that our school superintendent organized and held (with the same old group of schoolyard bullies that verbally attack their neighbors, spreading lies throughout our schools, businesses, churches, and parks) BEFORE the superintendent even brought his recommendation to the public school board meeting (which is broadcast throughout our community so that ALL parents have open communication with the school superintendent and his staff?)

What a waste of time for our schools to do this.
Isn't it ammmmaaaaazing that the parent council is exactly the same people that worked over the community for emergency levy money. These are women who walked door to door telling unsuspecting and unacknowledgeable parents and citizens that if the school did not get more money that children would suffer and that the money was for the kids. These people never told the poor unsuspecting citizens and parents that 85% of the money was for continued increases in pay and benefits and that a measly maybe 15% might trickle to the kids.
Who is surprised that a principal would recommend a levy mom to the parent council. Really, They do not ask questions they simply are Stetford wives and do whatever they are told. They are simply union reps coming at the subjects at a different angle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr 18WheelsNoBrainCells 31,059
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Bently 19,219
Riverside Police (Sep '11) 4 hr jeremybrooks38 21
ING is now Yoya, a brand-new investment and ret... 5 hr masterofconcretep... 2
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 9 hr Vic 231
This is your lucky Monday! 10 hr Library Lover 6
Andy's Dean's "America Now" cancelled! 10 hr Library Lover 40
•••
•••
Springboro Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••