Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,305

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
What else

Youngstown, OH

#21994 Sep 20, 2012
John Parise wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said money was the MAIN issue...you did...stop spinning the truth..and try owning up to the fact you were opposed to me from the get go..you supported JONES(with the backing of DEWINE), or you supported Gabbard(with the backing of Wade and Agenbroad). otherwise you wouldn't be on my case.
What else was it then? If money wasn't the main issue? Then why did you lose?

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#21995 Sep 20, 2012
What else wrote:
<quoted text>
What else was it then? If money wasn't the main issue? Then why did you lose?
gee...ya think.... I was outnumbered 5-1 and why am I the main subject here? Your group is missing the point....but again, that is your point...to deflect from the main subject.

That being the lack of opposition to the establishment in this community.

BWT, anyone considering running for local public office, be prepared to deal with this B. S.
maybe

Girard, OH

#21996 Sep 20, 2012
Wonder if MAYBE some of that money that SYB collected went to pay the refs??? gee... ya think???
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#21997 Sep 20, 2012
maybe wrote:
Wonder if MAYBE some of that money that SYB collected went to pay the refs??? gee... ya think???
Referees are paid out of the admissions cash box at each game. The referees sign there name to a sheet signifying they were paid the correct amount at the end of their schedule. Each time I returned a cash box at the end of the day there was always more money inside than there was in the beginning.

Carlisle plays in the same league, its fees were $70, while ours were $225 for select basketball.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#21998 Sep 20, 2012
The show repeats on Friday at noon and again on Sunday at 5:00 p.m.

Watch the board meeting from 9/11 as the discussion revolves around following a board policy (7510) that has been in place for over 22 years.

The discussion is interesting and insightful, but the public participation section that follows is what makes it worth the price of admission. Look for the second speaker, the president of Springboro Youth Basketball, and listen to him plead ignorance to the above policy, how much money is involved ($100,000 plus), how he intends to make the kids pay so his group does not have to, or a few other dire consequences.

A couple question my wife had were, "If the schools needed money so bad and were running levies, why did they waive SYB's usage fees? Why didn't they collect the $25,000 each year?"

Interesting stuff, watch it if you have not and judge for yourself.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#21999 Sep 21, 2012
when I came to boro - my father bought and sold land with a handshake the world moves forward I wish that there were to main roads in boro 1954 but this is 2012 this is NOT the establihment of 1954 it is 2012 MONEY is now the only factor - the POWERS in place now are for the MONEY that is why the boro plan 1995 is still in place why the 73/741 instersection is a cork in the bottle why we have sports skyscraper but kids are not being taught enough to pass basic college entry. when I went to boro - my
mother knew I was bad in school B4 I left the building - now kids are roaming the halls without supervision and teachers are complaining they are over worked for little pay. how about hiring a autoworker as school hall monitor in Class or study hall or in a cop car you as parents choice. 400,000.00 dollar homes and kids are roamin the streets with nothing to do another autoworker in the lunchroom from 3 to 6 your kids at home or in the lunchroom until you as parent pick them up. walkers/bus riders you have a place to be. yes I wish the old boro was back Carl/Vince/my mother were there not out stating they need more money
John Parise wrote:
<quoted text>
gee...ya think.... I was outnumbered 5-1 and why am I the main subject here? Your group is missing the point....but again, that is your point...to deflect from the main subject.
BWT, anyone considering running for local public office, be prepared to deal with this B. S.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#22000 Sep 21, 2012
anyone that running for office (public/vol) should be ready for review hmm maybe if we did then Money would not be going in the front door and out the back. it would work for an ineffective president and a "rich" buyit republican.
money

Springboro, OH

#22001 Sep 21, 2012
John Parise wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you not make yourself the "main subject" based on your post:
"I beg to differ...I ran a campaign...it was me supporting myself..I could not compete with the kind of money Gabbard and Jones threw around."

You specifically mention money and you could not compete with it. So, if not the money, which you specifically address, what is the main subject then?
money

Springboro, OH

#22002 Sep 21, 2012
Just Say No wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth is; ALL Springboro/Clearcreek Township taxpayers are being hurt because we have a Springboro/Clearcreek Township local government LEADERSHIP crisis. Regardless of political agenda of self-interest local government leadership; their actions have created among voters our No credibility, No trust, No confidence vote in our Springboro/Clearcreek Township elected officials,
which equals NO NEW TAXES. Common sense voters simply cannot allow
more of our money to fall into the double dipping hands of Springboro city and Clearcreek Township politicians.
Waiting to hear how you have been "hurt" by a "Leadership Crisis". Nothing specific? I'm not surprised. Easy to make general statements of "no credibility", "no trust" without specifics.

Fight the powers to be! I don't really know why I am fighting them.....I'm just so mad! But what I am mad at, I really don't know!

Truth is: Credibility from voters asking informative questions and actually knowing what is going on creates credibility from elected officials. Voters blowing hot air (as typically happens here on these pages) just creates more hot air.
ridiculous

Dayton, OH

#22003 Sep 21, 2012
Takes the cake wrote:
<quoted text>
The new varsity basketball coach. The one who stabbed Coach Holtrey in the back!
Oh please. Troy Holtrey has been digging his own grave for as long as I have been here. He thought he was invincible and that was proven incorrect. He's being made to be accountable for his own actions. I don't feel sorry for him.
Boro Fan

Miamisburg, OH

#22004 Sep 21, 2012
At the constant urging of Just Watching, I found the rebroadcast last night of the last BOE meeting and not surprised that Just Watching has a very different viewpoint. I found the SYB president to be unemotional, factual, and direct in how SYB is run and how the organization has built its account. I won't go into every detail as I am sure some one will attack this post with their specific complaints. The organization did not ask or push for the facility fee waiver and has paid every bill as was noted several times. The SYB sounds as though they have made a proposal for a higher payment to the schools with a focus on that money being used for basketball/athletic facilities but the schools have not yet responded. So let's hold the attacks on SYB - they do a lot of good for the kids in the community. Before this post gets blasted by the lunatic fringe, remember that no one has hinted that any individual has made any profit for themselves from SYB fees. This organization has played by the rules that the schools gave them and is an asset for our community. I think it is fair to ask why the fees were waived by the school board but it is unfair to unload that anger on SYB.
money

Springboro, OH

#22005 Sep 21, 2012
Boro Fan wrote:
At the constant urging of Just Watching, I found the rebroadcast last night of the last BOE meeting and not surprised that Just Watching has a very different viewpoint. I found the SYB president to be unemotional, factual, and direct in how SYB is run and how the organization has built its account. I won't go into every detail as I am sure some one will attack this post with their specific complaints. The organization did not ask or push for the facility fee waiver and has paid every bill as was noted several times. The SYB sounds as though they have made a proposal for a higher payment to the schools with a focus on that money being used for basketball/athletic facilities but the schools have not yet responded. So let's hold the attacks on SYB - they do a lot of good for the kids in the community. Before this post gets blasted by the lunatic fringe, remember that no one has hinted that any individual has made any profit for themselves from SYB fees. This organization has played by the rules that the schools gave them and is an asset for our community. I think it is fair to ask why the fees were waived by the school board but it is unfair to unload that anger on SYB.
Thank you Boro Fan. It is shocking that you have a different viewpoint from those on these pages!

And it should come at no surprise that the SYB wants the usage fees to go towards basketball. That's a "Duh"! Of course they do. they are the Springboro Youth Basketball program. Not the Springboro Wrestling Program. Through the transparency that is ALWAYS talked about here....who knows what the schools really would do with that money. Divert it to something else? As you said....let's wait and see before the lunatic fringe speaks and continues to attack SYB. These are good people volunteering their time and efforts.
Another View

Piqua, OH

#22006 Sep 21, 2012
Boro Fan wrote:
From my understanding of the viewing and the way I see it:

The fees were waived by former superintendent Mr. Baker and former business manager Mr. Long; but a written waiver was not issued by neither Mr. Baker nor Mr. Long; (neither one is now employed in our school district) and SYB has no written waiver, and verbal agreements are not acceptable for the SYB to make their case that the new superintendent honor that verbal waiver (which is in violation of Springboro board policy.)
The question presented to the community by the new superintendent (as some see it) was whether or not the superintendent should waive fees for the SYB and continue doing business as usual; or should the new superintendent charge the fees in accordance with board policy 7310 which so allows the superintendent the choice.

As for me and my household of voters, we support the Superintendent moving forward with new beginnings of doing business within the legal and ethical practices of school board policy and state laws; and we agree with our Springboro schools BOE president's comments. We fully support our school board president and superintendent and we 100% agree in favor of charging fees to the SYB (and all outside organizations who use our taxpayer-funded public schools facilities) within our school board policy 7310.
Boro Fan

Miamisburg, OH

#22007 Sep 21, 2012
I totally agree with the posting by Another View. I was simply pointing out that all the anger directed at the SYB is unfounded. I don't know why the waiver was put in place or why the BOE didn't create a paper trail but it isn't fair to direct that anger towards the groups that use the facilities. Given the schools didn't create a process to track or report this, the best energy to be used is going forward. The schools have the right to charge for facilities and SYB has the right to accept/reject. I agree that the parties should get together and figure something out that works for all but blaming SYB for this is not fair. I believe SYB the last 4 years has been a very well run organization and the president/treasurer have done a good job at building a strong program that also offers transparency on the funds generated and used. If you want to be angry with past school administration for the waiver, fine - but let's not hang all of this on the organizations that use the schools after hours.
ridiculous

Dayton, OH

#22008 Sep 21, 2012
Boro Fan wrote:
I totally agree with the posting by Another View. I was simply pointing out that all the anger directed at the SYB is unfounded. I don't know why the waiver was put in place or why the BOE didn't create a paper trail but it isn't fair to direct that anger towards the groups that use the facilities. Given the schools didn't create a process to track or report this, the best energy to be used is going forward. The schools have the right to charge for facilities and SYB has the right to accept/reject. I agree that the parties should get together and figure something out that works for all but blaming SYB for this is not fair. I believe SYB the last 4 years has been a very well run organization and the president/treasurer have done a good job at building a strong program that also offers transparency on the funds generated and used. If you want to be angry with past school administration for the waiver, fine - but let's not hang all of this on the organizations that use the schools after hours.
What I think some people take issue with is if they were not paying for the gym, why were the fees what they were? Again, where has the excess money gone?
Just Say No

Piqua, OH

#22009 Sep 21, 2012
money wrote:
<quoted text>
Waiting to hear how you have been "hurt" by a "Leadership Crisis". Nothing specific? I'm not surprised. Easy to make general statements of "no credibility", "no trust" without specifics.
Fight the powers to be! I don't really know why I am fighting them.....I'm just so mad! But what I am mad at, I really don't know!
Truth is: Credibility from voters asking informative questions and actually knowing what is going on creates credibility from elected officials. Voters blowing hot air (as typically happens here on these pages) just creates more hot air.
Excuse me, money, but perhaps that "hot air blowing through the boro is the natural outcome created by local "self-interest" leadership "burning holes in taxpayers pockets" with scorching threats that "your young and old will suffer harm IF we do not get our way."

For example: during the November 2011 election, big union labor money launched a scorching pro-union "self-interest" TV campaign across our state projecting an attitude of fear and insecurity among citizens, including, specifically, my elederly neighbor who saw the TV campaigns; and then expressed fear that Township firefighters/police patrol would not help her if she had an emergency in her home; because homeowners in her neighborhood displayed "certain" political signs! Now that's a local government leadership crisis when big union money roots out "trust" between our community members and our community public safety employees.

Another example is the recent scrutiny of the big donation made by the Springboro Athletics Boosters official; and the buzz around town that the "good old boys" have circled the wagon protecting "self-interest" instead of the Springboro Police acting in the protection of community best interest. Now's that's a local government leadership crisis.

Next we have the review of the fairness in our pay to play fees which has resulted in four of our Springboro Schools classroom teachers refusing to answer tough questions regarding ethical and legal board policy violations; and simply hiding behind big "money" lawyers' fees in their efforts to get away with their financial practices wrongdoing. Now that's a local school government leadership crisis.

Now we have TV proof that the SYB association was operating illegally all the time that they were profiting big "money" from our kids sports while Mr. Baker and Mr. Long "illegally" waived the fees; which now Mr. Emanual argues that the new school superintendent should continue "waiving" .... and all the while Mr. Emanual of the SYB does not mention that his organization was illegally operating and only received their legal status from the state around September 7, 2012!
There are serious lapses of our local government NOT holding those who operate their money business outside the law?

But Where Is the Accountability?

Just Grow Up

Piqua, OH

#22010 Sep 21, 2012
Boro Fan wrote:
Let's agree to disagree; but just forget that same old tiring mantra.... "that's not fair!" Only losers use that excuse;
and only after they get caught cheating!
We can all know we have grown from childhood to responsible adulthood when we stop saying "it got lost" and personal admit
"I lost it."

As long as the SYB (and others) cling to their "we are victims" status; there will be no responsibility taken for their mistakes and there will be no restitution made to district taxapyers---just more whining "it's not fair; we're not so bad; so why not focus on others that are worse?"

Just disgusting that this type of inept leadership in our schools and community organizations has gotten such a strong footing with the blessing of former school admininstrators and former BOE elected officials.

That's why we need community-wide support for our new board's philosophy of directing everything we do toward accelerating student achievement. Our new superintendent fully supports the new direction in which our new board is leading our school putting KIDS best interest FIRST! School employees and/or community sports leaders who do not support children first in every decison made as those in positions of authority over our kids, should simple agree to step down and go someplace else.
As former superintendent Mr. Lolli once indicated in the DDN: you know it's time to leave the school district when you disagree with your boss's new philosophy of transparency in all our school financial records and putting our children's future first in every decision made by school district leaders.
We Can Change It

Piqua, OH

#22011 Sep 21, 2012
Just Say No wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me, money, but perhaps that "hot air blowing through the boro is the natural outcome created by local "self-interest" leadership "burning holes in taxpayers pockets" with scorching threats that "your young and old will suffer harm IF we do not get our way."
For example: during the November 2011 election, big union labor money launched a scorching pro-union "self-interest" TV campaign across our state projecting an attitude of fear and insecurity among citizens, including, specifically, my elederly neighbor who saw the TV campaigns; and then expressed fear that Township firefighters/police patrol would not help her if she had an emergency in her home; because homeowners in her neighborhood displayed "certain" political signs! Now that's a local government leadership crisis when big union money roots out "trust" between our community members and our community public safety employees.
Another example is the recent scrutiny of the big donation made by the Springboro Athletics Boosters official; and the buzz around town that the "good old boys" have circled the wagon protecting "self-interest" instead of the Springboro Police acting in the protection of community best interest. Now's that's a local government leadership crisis.
Next we have the review of the fairness in our pay to play fees which has resulted in four of our Springboro Schools classroom teachers refusing to answer tough questions regarding ethical and legal board policy violations; and simply hiding behind big "money" lawyers' fees in their efforts to get away with their financial practices wrongdoing. Now that's a local school government leadership crisis.
Now we have TV proof that the SYB association was operating illegally all the time that they were profiting big "money" from our kids sports while Mr. Baker and Mr. Long "illegally" waived the fees; which now Mr. Emanual argues that the new school superintendent should continue "waiving" .... and all the while Mr. Emanual of the SYB does not mention that his organization was illegally operating and only received their legal status from the state around September 7, 2012!
There are serious lapses of our local government NOT holding those who operate their money business outside the law?
But Where Is the Accountability?
We can change the good ole boys corruption in local government when we just say no to new money. We can change the bad policy of "no accountability" in our local government by voting out those whose bad poicies are not for the good of our community as a whole. Yes! We Can Change It!
Just Vote No to status quo.
heres your clue

Germantown, OH

#22012 Sep 21, 2012
ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
What I think some people take issue with is if they were not paying for the gym, why were the fees what they were? Again, where has the excess money gone?
Think of a word that begins with "sk"... and rhymes with "gym"
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#22013 Sep 21, 2012
Boro Fan wrote:
Amazingly this idea of a waiver only recently appeared in the past couple months. The thought that no one would think to mention it to an organization's treasurer for four years is laughable on its face.

Seriously, you are supposedly getting the facilities you are selling for free, but you forget to mention it to your accountant for FOUR years? Who would believe that nonsense?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Concealed carry in Boro's schools - not a matte... (Jul '13) 16 hr anonymous panther 77
741 & 73 intersection make over 16 hr traffic cop 1
Emotional Blackmail in Springboro (May '13) 16 hr private schooled 35
Mart Crowe (May '12) Fri Cincyalso 64
New High School Vice Principal - Another Reason... (Sep '10) Oct 15 student at EHS 16
Cops Still Pedos? Oct 8 Anonymous 3
Ambulance, fire levy sparks debate in Ohio (Feb '13) Oct 7 soda 2,043
Springboro Dating
Find my Match

Springboro Jobs

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]