Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Read more: Dayton Daily News 31,809

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Read more
control

Girard, OH

#21323 Aug 8, 2012
Twp resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Q) Were the taxpayers of either the City of Springboro or Clearcreek Township provided the opportunity to either collectively approve or veto their respective jurisdiction's "pledge" of $100,000 ??
A) No.
Q. Do the taxpayers get to vote when the streets are paved or the light bulbs changed in the city and township buildings.

A. NO

Q. Why?

A. We have a representative form of government. We ELECT people who make decisions for the collective good of the community. Or not the collective good depending on your point of view.
Irish1158

Piqua, OH

#21324 Aug 8, 2012
Too bad we have to waste all this time and effort on the Band Boosters when we are starting a new school year with almost an all new administrative staff in the central office, two fewer principals in our elementary school. What happened to children first? What are we doing to help them transition into the new year?

This posting seems to spend way too much time pointing fingers rather then lending a helping hand to those who should matter the most, our students. Our future and the future of our community is based on giving our kids the best education we possibly can. All this in-fighting does nothing but detract from what is truly important.
Do your research first

Ashland, OH

#21325 Aug 8, 2012
Irish1158 wrote:
Too bad we have to waste all this time and effort on the Band Boosters when we are starting a new school year with almost an all new administrative staff in the central office, two fewer principals in our elementary school. What happened to children first? What are we doing to help them transition into the new year?
This posting seems to spend way too much time pointing fingers rather then lending a helping hand to those who should matter the most, our students. Our future and the future of our community is based on giving our kids the best education we possibly can. All this in-fighting does nothing but detract from what is truly important.
The Band Boosters are probably the only well run group. They have records, file with the IRS and will open their books to whoever asks. The Springboro Athletic Boosters on the other hand, have not filed with the IRS since 2005 for the 2004 year, have lost their nonprofit status and have seemingly not donated a lot of money collected on behalf of the school. The coaches and Athletic Directors for the last eight years have been keeping off the books accounts, not turning in their fundraising money and following Board policies.

Before you can have a children's first environment, you must have adults in place that are following the rules. The administration, coaches, athletic boosters, athletic directors, superintendents and treasurers have not been following the rules, and it seems that a lot of money is missing. Is this the appropriate environment for children? What kind of example are these "role models" providing?
Don't work yourself up taking things out of context, or bury your head in the sand. If you want to "be for the children first", then get everything in the open and help to fix it. If you don't help to fix things, then you are just adding to the problem.

The kids will be fine. The adults are the problem.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#21326 Aug 9, 2012
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder why Coach Holtrey is now lawyering up in the face of a state auditors?
Why does Mr. Holtrey need a lawyer for a simple audit of a basketball camp? This isn't exactly like an audit of Enron.
Really

Lebanon, OH

#21328 Aug 9, 2012
I Love how so many people THINK they know so much about Mr. Holtrey's personal life! Like that fact that he is supposedly lawyering up??? If he is in fact lawyering up I wouldn't blame him at all! In fact I would go after a lot of people for slander if I were him! The board has pretty much accomplished what they wanted to do and that was to make him look like he has done something wrong. I still haven't seen any proof of that and I was always told innocent until proven guilty!
banger

Dayton, OH

#21329 Aug 9, 2012
control wrote:
<quoted text>
Q. Do the taxpayers get to vote when the streets are paved or the light bulbs changed in the city and township buildings.
A. NO
Q. Why?
A. We have a representative form of government. We ELECT people who make decisions for the collective good of the community. Or not the collective good depending on your point of view.
representative form? ya mean like the crooks that run the township and the city?
All Lawyer ed Up

Dayton, OH

#21330 Aug 9, 2012
The Springboro Athletic scandal is a big tangled web. Let's not forget that there are more culpable people out there than Troy Holtrey. He is just one of a long line. The state auditors investigation will reveal many more. That is why several people currently involved in athletics have all lawyered up. The following people are just a culpable at Holtrey. Do not expect to hear much in the news because they all have been advised by their attorneys not to speak out at all.
1. David Baker
2. Tim Detwiller
3. Craig Colston
4. Larry Hook
5. Steve Castator (Former AD)
6. Troy Holtrey
7. George Long
8. Ron Malone (some of the years in question he was the supervisor of the AD)
9. All coaches who ran these illegal camps.
worried

Springboro, OH

#21331 Aug 9, 2012
getting to the point wrote:
<quoted text>
2/5 of the money is from the taxpayers.
Another 2/5 is tied in some way or another to Springboro boosters.
Scary.
Actually, none of the money "is tied in some way" to the Boosters. The Boosters have nothing to do with the project. Nice try though.
worried

Springboro, OH

#21332 Aug 9, 2012
Answer wrote:
Springboro City council meeting minutes from 4/19/12. See page 13 of 27 in link below.
Keep in mind that the Cook Family Fund did not exist officially with the State of Ohio until May 1, 2012. Also, they are operating under the Warren County Community Foundation "umbrella". They are not a stand alone 501 C 3. Their incorporation says that they are to help children of Warren County, not Springboro Schools. So, there is no guarantee that all, or any, funds will go to Springboro schools. See second link below, page 5, Article III.
http://www.ci.springboro.oh.us/files/Minutes4...
http://www2.sos.state.oh.us/reports/rwservlet...
You are right - none of the monies will go to the Springboro Schools. The groups that pledged money are reimbursing the City according to the agreement you reference. Did you even read what you referenced?????? I know, that would take way too long to do....it's easier to make things up.
Twp resident

Germantown, OH

#21333 Aug 9, 2012
control wrote:
<quoted text>
A. NO
Q. Why?
Oh, of course! Leave it up to all-knowing Agenbroad and Pickett et al to dictate to the community the "best" ways to dispose of our money.
Locally as well as nationally, the beginnings of the end of these kinds of injustices will take place this coming Election Day, Tuesday Nov. 6th.
Do your research first

Lebanon, OH

#21334 Aug 9, 2012
worried wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right - none of the monies will go to the Springboro Schools. The groups that pledged money are reimbursing the City according to the agreement you reference. Did you even read what you referenced?????? I know, that would take way too long to do....it's easier to make things up.
The school will still own the field and be responsible for maintenance, insurance, scheduling, cleaning, repairs, upkeep, concessions, etc. Those are not free.

The point was, these were pledges from groups that still have to raise the funds. They are not obligated in their bylaws to give any or all funds raised to the school. There was nothing in the agreement about default on the pledges from the groups. The asset belongs to the school, the city took out the debt. What happens if the debt is not covered by the fundraisers as promised?
Do your research first

Lebanon, OH

#21335 Aug 9, 2012
worried wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, none of the money "is tied in some way" to the Boosters. The Boosters have nothing to do with the project. Nice try though.
Did you ever look at any of the camp flyers, for any sport, or fundraiser literature? Almost all of them said "sponsored by the Springboro Athletic Boosters"!
Answer

Lebanon, OH

#21336 Aug 9, 2012
All Lawyer ed Up wrote:
The Springboro Athletic scandal is a big tangled web. Let's not forget that there are more culpable people out there than Troy Holtrey. He is just one of a long line. The state auditors investigation will reveal many more. That is why several people currently involved in athletics have all lawyered up. The following people are just a culpable at Holtrey. Do not expect to hear much in the news because they all have been advised by their attorneys not to speak out at all.
1. David Baker
2. Tim Detwiller
3. Craig Colston
4. Larry Hook
6. Troy Holtrey
7. George Long
Don't forget the first year of Troy Holtrey as AD was split with football coach Ryan Wilhite. He has 6 months of responsibility as AD. If you take the money to do the job, you should do the job.

WHERE IS THE MONEY?
bone of contention

Germantown, OH

#21337 Aug 9, 2012
Questions wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the Wade Field property owned by the school district taxpayers?
The district sold the Wade Field property behind the Intermediate school to the township. Why wouldn't they? Clearcreek Township is all about spending YOUR money.
worried

Springboro, OH

#21338 Aug 9, 2012
Do your research first wrote:
<quoted text>
The school will still own the field and be responsible for maintenance, insurance, scheduling, cleaning, repairs, upkeep, concessions, etc. Those are not free.
The point was, these were pledges from groups that still have to raise the funds. They are not obligated in their bylaws to give any or all funds raised to the school. There was nothing in the agreement about default on the pledges from the groups. The asset belongs to the school, the city took out the debt. What happens if the debt is not covered by the fundraisers as promised?
You are right - they are not free. That's why other agreements are in place, or are being negotiated to put money back into the field for all the issues you raise. No debt was taken out by the City as far as I read. If you read the agreement it says that if they don't make their payments, they can't use the field until payments are made. Your user name is appropriate - you need to your research first.
worried

Springboro, OH

#21339 Aug 9, 2012
bone of contention wrote:
<quoted text>
The district sold the Wade Field property behind the Intermediate school to the township. Why wouldn't they? Clearcreek Township is all about spending YOUR money.
This is getting comical. The district sold Wade Field to the Township??? What planet are you living on?????
No you are wrong

Lebanon, OH

#21340 Aug 9, 2012
No, the district did not sell the property. Go look at the county auditor website. Look by owner for Clearcreek School (no s). The address is 40 Florence Dr. Account number is 0520241.
Maybe you were confused because it said Clearcreek School instead of Springboro. Jonathan Wright was part of Clearcreek Schools before they merged and changed the name to SCCSD.
This Might Explain

Cleveland, OH

#21341 Aug 9, 2012
All Lawyer ed Up wrote:
1. David Baker
2. Tim Detwiller
3. Craig Colston
4. Larry Hook
6. Troy Holtrey
7. George Long
This might explain why so many wish NOT to pursue this line of inquiry. As I recall most of these people were for transparency when it involved the current BOE. Suddenly, they seem to be hesitant to reveal the simplest bits of information regarding money made off the backs of the district's parents.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#21342 Aug 9, 2012
As I recall the Wade Field project was financed with actual cash money down from the Lacrosse Club, PeeWee Football, and the Cook Family Fun Day. In essence the Lacrosse Club and PeeWee Football both paid their fees forward to get this project up an running. They also pledged to pay off the remainder of their commitments in 7 years. I believe they will do so way before that deadline. By utilizing concession monies as a consistent stream of revenue, the dream to create a self sustaining asset will be realized. Financial safeguards have been put into place to ensure that every dollar raised for our children actually gets to our children.

The Cook Family Fun Day put up most of its available funds and pledged to raise the remainder over a 7 year time frame. As well, I firmly believe they can accomplish that goal given the people involved. If you feel it is a good cause then by all means stop by and help them out by visiting the Cook Family Fun Day this Sunday at Careflight Field. It all goes to a good cause, you will have the opportunity to catch up with your friends and neighbors, and you can get something to eat if you follow your nose to Mr. Meyers' smoker.

This entire project seems to be what community should be about, the ability for diverse sets of groups to come together to reach a common goal. The building of an infrastructure with the cooperation of the school district, the city, the township, and various community groups should be a cause for celebration. The fact that the plan was designed for self sufficiency is a boon when compared to other programs government normally assumes to establish.

While there are no guarantees for anything in life, aside from death and taxes, it is my fervent belief that this project will improve our community's asset base, enhance the value of our community, and bring more people together over the long haul. Given the level of support I have witnessed over the past decade for all of our programs involved, I would find it incredible if this was not to succeed as a self sustaining venture.
Still Curious

Piqua, OH

#21343 Aug 9, 2012
Just Watching wrote:
As I recall the Wade Field project was financed with actual cash money down from the Lacrosse Club, PeeWee Football, and the Cook Family Fun Day. In essence the Lacrosse Club and PeeWee Football both paid their fees forward to get this project up an running. They also pledged to pay off the remainder of their commitments in 7 years. I believe they will do so way before that deadline. By utilizing concession monies as a consistent stream of revenue, the dream to create a self sustaining asset will be realized. Financial safeguards have been put into place to ensure that every dollar raised for our children actually gets to our children.
The Cook Family Fun Day put up most of its available funds and pledged to raise the remainder over a 7 year time frame. As well, I firmly believe they can accomplish that goal given the people involved. If you feel it is a good cause then by all means stop by and help them out by visiting the Cook Family Fun Day this Sunday at Careflight Field. It all goes to a good cause, you will have the opportunity to catch up with your friends and neighbors, and you can get something to eat if you follow your nose to Mr. Meyers' smoker.
This entire project seems to be what community should be about, the ability for diverse sets of groups to come together to reach a common goal. The building of an infrastructure with the cooperation of the school district, the city, the township, and various community groups should be a cause for celebration. The fact that the plan was designed for self sufficiency is a boon when compared to other programs government normally assumes to establish.
While there are no guarantees for anything in life, aside from death and taxes, it is my fervent belief that this project will improve our community's asset base, enhance the value of our community, and bring more people together over the long haul. Given the level of support I have witnessed over the past decade for all of our programs involved, I would find it incredible if this was not to succeed as a self sustaining venture.
This infor is all well and good. Thanks.

Still curious why there are no official contracts or financial statements of these ones that paid up front that are posted for the public. If there is proof, where is the verification?
Just not willing to embrace Cook fun day just because Ron Malone sent out his invitiation to the community. Is Ron Malone the spokes person for the Cook family? Is Ron Malone getting a principals fund mark up on this fundraiser? Still curious...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
local prostitute caught with senior meals on wh... 5 hr Rebecca 1
"notice to my public" 7 hr t8rsalad 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr Matt Kruse2252 19,831
Today's Leon Harrison Quotation 11 hr Its the Harp Lager 2
I don't read the New Dork Whines. Fri The Hack Checker 1
Family Law Attorneys (May '14) Fri kearbear314 25
Franklin Township Fire/EMS Levy Vote NO in May ... Fri May 2015 Vote NO 2
More from around the web

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]