Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31938 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Questions

Cleveland, OH

#21184 Aug 2, 2012
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Mr Kirby said it best at the meeting the other night. He stated that there are one of two things happening. 1.) there is a special interest group with this board that we all aren’t privy to. If this is the case and this group has such compelling evidence, where are they? What do they have to say? And why aren’t they here to share this? Or is it that they don’t have to be here because they have all the time in the world later to talk to you about their particular gripes. In legal land, that’s hearsay, and ex perte communication and no judge is allowed to make a decision if that exists. Secondly, if you aren’t listening to someone privately, then you are conducting your own investigation and that makes you both prosecutor and judge and that’s not fair either.
Me thinks good ole boy Kirby protesteth too much, in "legal land" ....but why?

He doesn't appear sharp enough to know the difference between the Court room and the Board room? Or, which Springboro "board" is under scrutiny?

Mr. Kirby was offered "equal time" as a Springboro resident to address his concerns to our elected officials; Why did he appear to be "interrogating" and then "judging" board members? That was creepy!
Just Wondering

Cleveland, OH

#21185 Aug 2, 2012
Where is the Money wrote:
Holtry is an idiot. The only reason he hasn't been arrested for mismanagement of Booster Funds during his tenure while athletic director and using the basketball "booster" donations from camp fees and other fund raisers as his own personal money, is because of his relationship with the Police Chief.(BFFs, remember?)
Why Wilhite is getting a pass for the same time period is a mystery. He was also co-athletic director with holtry and has raised enormous amounts with "booster" football fundraisers. Remember when Jim Tressel came to talk? What about Jake Ballard? Where is the money?
Remember when Jim Tressel made robo calls to Springboro residents promoting the school levy; and the return call went back to Baker's number? Wonder how much of our kids money went into that?
And wasn't Holtrey athletic director at that time?

Isn't it the responsibity of the AD to know exactly what our athletic programs cost; and exactly how much our boosters fundraising business brings in BEFORE knowing how much pay to play fees would be right for students? Why did holtrey resign as AD when superintendent baker resigned?

btw....Could Wilhite be getting a pass because he is "co-operating" with his boss?
no to kohls

United States

#21186 Aug 2, 2012
Kelly kohl's did not create "children first budgeting". Petroni and rigano did. She needs stop clinging to their coat tails. I believe she behaves hypocritically. No? Then why strip down your bank owned property prior to auction? Because that was the Christian thing to do? Or because it was an opportunity? Is that how you would want someone to treat something you owned? You want me to trust her with my child? Um. No. Hell no. Petronia and rigano are not cut from the same cloth as Kelly kohl's. Its apparent those 2 don't need her. But boy are you little ole kohl's supporters trying hard to spin it like they do.
Truth

Dayton, OH

#21187 Aug 2, 2012
It should be apparent to anyone with some brains that Holtrey has some culpability in the booster funds scandal. Do you think we will ever find out the truth with the Police Chief running interference on the investigation? This is the same guy who was under federal investigation for illegal wire tapping in Battlecreek, MI. He and his wife a teacher are extremely close to Holtrey. This is what happens to people when there is NO oversight. Same thing happened to Baker with his ten year reign with absolutely NO oversight until he got caught tapering with public records of district employees a “Felony” in Ohio. Baker chose to go away quietly and no charges were pressed, hopefully Holtrey is smart enough to do the same before he ends up losing his teaching job over all of this.
swee pea

Dayton, OH

#21188 Aug 2, 2012
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Mr Kirby said it best at the meeting the other night. He stated that there are one of two things happening. 1.) there is a special interest group with this board that we all aren’t privy to. If this is the case and this group has such compelling evidence, where are they? What do they have to say? And why aren’t they here to share this? Or is it that they don’t have to be here because they have all the time in the world later to talk to you about their particular gripes. In legal land, that’s hearsay, and ex perte communication and no judge is allowed to make a decision if that exists. Secondly, if you aren’t listening to someone privately, then you are conducting your own investigation and that makes you both prosecutor and judge and that’s not fair either.
C'mon! Lay your cards on the table! Anybody in the room who possessed half a brain realized immediately that Jeff Kirby was trying to paint for his audience what he no doubt perceives is an uncomfortable connection between Kohls, her school board seat, and her current elevated position within the Warren County Tea Party.

Mr. Kirby, things could be a heck of a lot worse! Just imagine, a few hundred votes in another direction in '09 and again in '11 and we could be agonizing in our efforts to work with a school board dominated by present or former members of the S.E.A.
poundsand

Cincinnati, OH

#21189 Aug 2, 2012
no to kohls wrote:
Kelly kohl's did not create "children first budgeting". Petroni and rigano did. She needs stop clinging to their coat tails. I believe she behaves hypocritically. No? Then why strip down your bank owned property prior to auction? Because that was the Christian thing to do? Or because it was an opportunity? Is that how you would want someone to treat something you owned? You want me to trust her with my child? Um. No. Hell no. Petronia and rigano are not cut from the same cloth as Kelly kohl's. Its apparent those 2 don't need her. But boy are you little ole kohl's supporters trying hard to spin it like they do.
go away troll. nobody cares about your personal and pithy little vendetta against kohls. we're here to talk about issues not personal feelings against someone you disagree with. Let me guess... you're a union member?
masterofconcrete pourers

Cincinnati, OH

#21190 Aug 2, 2012
poundsand wrote:
<quoted text>
go away troll. nobody cares about your personal and pithy little vendetta against kohls. we're here to talk about issues not personal feelings against someone you disagree with. Let me guess... you're a union member?
Pounds and pounds? Still haven't got that ass up and exercised?

Pretty soon you'll be MEGA POUNDS!
AD Secretary

United States

#21191 Aug 2, 2012
Law enforcement, auditors, BOE, whoever is investigating need to talk to Cindy McSherry, the AD secretary. She did all of Troys work and probably knows exactly what went on. If there are any records, emails or correspondence, she would be the one to ask. And they had best hurry up before she shreds and bolts. She was the only fully functional human in the office. If anyone knows what went on, it would be her.
Disgusted

Lebanon, OH

#21192 Aug 2, 2012
Whenever someone in business starts by describing themselves as a good Christian, I start reaching for my wallet to make sure its still there. If they are great, their actions alone will speak louder than words.

Wilhite probably knows a sinking ship when he sees one.
Concerned Boro Citizen

Cleveland, OH

#21193 Aug 3, 2012
Truth wrote:
It should be apparent to anyone with some brains that Holtrey has some culpability in the booster funds scandal. Do you think we will ever find out the truth with the Police Chief running interference on the investigation? This is the same guy who was under federal investigation for illegal wire tapping in Battlecreek, MI. He and his wife a teacher are extremely close to Holtrey. This is what happens to people when there is NO oversight. Same thing happened to Baker with his ten year reign with absolutely NO oversight until he got caught tapering with public records of district employees a “Felony” in Ohio. Baker chose to go away quietly and no charges were pressed, hopefully Holtrey is smart enough to do the same before he ends up losing his teaching job over all of this.
This is the first I have heard of Baker tapering with employee records. It doesn't surprise me. Would you please give more details?
Worth Repeating

Cleveland, OH

#21194 Aug 3, 2012
Disgusted wrote:
Whenever someone in business starts by describing themselves as a good Christian, I start reaching for my wallet to make sure its still there. If they are great, their actions alone will speak louder than words.
Wilhite probably knows a sinking ship when he sees one.
Amen! Ever notice some of the rudest drivers on the highway are those that display the biggest "fish" emblems on their cars?

Ever notice those cars parked at the high school with the big blue stickers "God Loves Panthers?" This is at the same high school whose highly paid principal and his school teacher wife spreads lies throughout our neighborhoods and churches about Springboro citizens who support doing what's right for our children's future.
What hypocrites are these school employees!

Why are school district taxpayers (who foot the big bill for our school employees salaries) lied about and bullied by these "cult-like employed-education gods" who feed off the enthusiasm and immaturity of our "students who can't survive the school day without hearing have a nice day" ...from a beloved principal?-That's just hogwash!-
And what's even more disgusting---- this same hypocritical "beloved principal" objected at a public board meeting to decreasing the excessively high pay to play fees for his students!(quite a price to pay for that have a nice day warm and fuzzy-feely voice)!

Did anyone else notice at the July 31 board meeting that one resident expounded rudely (on behalf of good christian coach holtry) that the board would be commiting a sin if they failed to renew holtrey's contract? What hogwash!

Did anyone hear that spiritually abusive hogwash from the Springboro citizen "testifying" that his student chose "christian coach holtrey worship" over the opportunity of attending a "christian high school!"

Why are all these high and mighty "holy rollers" beating down doing what's right for our students (lower activities fees and increased praticipation in sports)in their defense of "allowing the coaches to do what they please with our boosters athletics fundrasing business as usual......and it's none of the school board's business?
Making the Case

Cleveland, OH

#21195 Aug 3, 2012
no to kohls wrote:
Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!

There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say; Unless you insist on saying it anyway!

Your case of your ignorance needing to be heard is closed.

It would please the public if you would just shup up.
Just Thinking

Cleveland, OH

#21196 Aug 3, 2012
Thoughtful wrote:
You will have a hard time selling Coach Holtrey as a dishonest, money-grubbing human being. I am not a friend or a relative, but know him to be a good honest, christian coach. In answer to your question as to why he did not divulge the whole truth (assuming your story is accurate)- perhaps, as the current board is want to do, he felt he was under no obligation to lay open books to you. One can only imaging the tone of that meeting!
August 1 Dayton Daily News:'Plice chief Jeff Kruithoff was emphatic that Holtrey was not a person of interest about that by his or the state's office.' If there is wrongdoing, it will come out in a real investigation by people who are hired to do said investigations carefully and accurately. Coach Holtry was not the only AD to miss the errant treasurer.
This is looking like a personal vendetta.
...and are you suggesting, that just because your friend is a good honest Christian coach, that he should not have to apply (along with all other interested applicants) for the open position of coach in our school district? It appears you are suggesting that other applicants NOT be considered for employment ; but that special preference be shown to your friend who is a Christian?
This is looking like something that could be job discrimination favoring "christian" applicants over others in our public schools
hiring practices ....... just thinking about it...
Boro Backer

Cincinnati, OH

#21197 Aug 3, 2012
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
"a portly, unkempt young man with a stained tie and his shirt tail forever hanging out the back of his low hung slacks"
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black (except for the "young" part)!
I hate Doug

Wimberley, TX

#21198 Aug 3, 2012
Where is the Money wrote:
Holtry is an idiot. The only reason he hasn't been arrested for mismanagement of Booster Funds during his tenure while athletic director and using the basketball "booster" donations from camp fees and other fund raisers as his own personal money, is because of his relationship with the Police Chief.(BFFs, remember?)
Why Wilhite is getting a pass for the same time period is a mystery. He was also co-athletic director with holtry and has raised enormous amounts with "booster" football fundraisers. Remember when Jim Tressel came to talk? What about Jake Ballard? Where is the money?
If you could manage to spell a name correctly....... you might then have somebody agree with you. Looks bad when you refer to a person as an idiot, yet you are the only person in town that gets his name wrong.
KDJ Deserve An A

Cleveland, OH

#21199 Aug 3, 2012
It is rare that a school district has opportunity to elect board representatives with the financial and leadership expertise of these "three."
Special thanks and appreciation for Springboro school board representatives Kelly Kohls, David Petroni and Jim Rigano!

- This school board deserves an "A" -

Since January, the new board has enshrined its “children first” philosophy in a series of 28 goals, which include setting district money aside to help prepare students for the ACT test, among other things.

The board has switched to zero-based budgeting, meaning that school budgets will not automatically increase every year. Instead, teachers are being asked to submit annual budgets outlining specific resources they need.

The board is also developing policies that prioritize district spending, to ensure that student-centered spending needs are met before employee benefits and wage increases are considered. Kohls is crafting a point system to determine which employees will receive bonuses from the leftover funds.
dds

Cleveland, OH

#21200 Aug 3, 2012
I hate Doug wrote:
<quoted text>
If you could manage to spell a name correctly....... you might then have somebody agree with you. Looks bad when you refer to a person as an idiot, yet you are the only person in town that gets his name wrong.
If you have nothing of substance to offer why waste the keystrokes? Your logic is also faulty, but then what else would anyone expect from you?
No To Weed

Springfield, OH

#21201 Aug 3, 2012
Are we seriously looking at this Doug guy with his criminal behaviors as a possible member of the BOE? OK, so he gets it thrown out of court on a technicality. Smart guy to wait out the courts, but is he someone we want making decisions for children? His decision when upset with a bank clerk is to behave in a way that resulted in police help? I guess he can join the fiscally responsible bankrupt member and the one who is removing Holtrey to put his best friend in the coaching position. I cannot hardly believe I am saying this but the other two are looking like the lesser of evils. Keep the socially bankrupt out of the BOE and find someone who children can look up to.
Very Concerned

Cleveland, OH

#21202 Aug 3, 2012
Concerned Boro Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the first I have heard of Baker tapering with employee records. It doesn't surprise me. Would you please give more details?
...Baker tampering with employee records...???

somebody knows about this; but will they speak up or refuse in fear of getting trashed by the bully bandits?
Thoughtful

Cleveland, OH

#21203 Aug 3, 2012
No To Weed wrote:
Are we seriously looking at this Doug guy with his criminal behaviors as a possible member of the BOE? OK, so he gets it thrown out of court on a technicality. Smart guy to wait out the courts, but is he someone we want making decisions for children? His decision when upset with a bank clerk is to behave in a way that resulted in police help? I guess he can join the fiscally responsible bankrupt member and the one who is removing Holtrey to put his best friend in the coaching position. I cannot hardly believe I am saying this but the other two are looking like the lesser of evils. Keep the socially bankrupt out of the BOE and find someone who children can look up to.
This is looking like a personal vendetta.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 6 hr agree 20,506
Disciplining Children (Mar '14) 12 hr Beforwarrend37 9
"Beck can cause Trump to lose this election!" 17 hr Eric Cartman Auth... 2
People Are Saying... Mon Go Blue Forever 26
SUH Dude Mon Not a Fan of Leon... 4
"Mike Turner ought to thank Fuyao" Aug 28 Not a Fan of Leon... 2
"Amish" heaters and EdenPURE heaters--Watch OUT! (Dec '08) Aug 27 Eddie 576

Springboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages