Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 20 comments on the Feb 5, 2008, Dayton Daily News story titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Show Us The Money

Youngstown, OH

#21017 Jul 29, 2012
jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
When did Jim Rigano last serve on the BOE and how come he never served as BOE President?
Why did the past five board members who have served as Springboro Board of Education just look the other way and ignore their responsibilities to serve our children's best interest first?

Mr. Anderson, Shame on you!
Mr. Miller, Shame on you!
Mr. Kruse, Shame on you!
Mr. Colston, Shame on you!
Mr. Thomsen, Shame on you!

Each one of you have failed in protecting our schools and community's best interest.
Each one of you had opportunity to hold the school superintendent and the school athletic director accountable to the school district's legal by-laws and policies related to our school district and the Springboro Athletics Boosters; but you chose instead to "go along to get along" and this fundraising mess continued until now. Isn't it time to acknowledge responsibility and stop blaming those who are doing the right thing??
Question

Dayton, OH

#21018 Jul 29, 2012
Community Drama wrote:
<quoted text>
Get Ready for the summertime rerun of the march madness protest.
Will our students arrive in boro blackwear wailing and whining we want our troy boy!
So we say that it is "children first", but when they have something to say, we shouldn't listen to them??? Is it it really "children first" or "parents first"??? Our students that rallied for Dr. Malone were well spoken respectful women and men and we should be proud of them!!! I know I was proud of each and everyone one of them. Maybe we should listen to our children because the adults in this community are not putting children first!!!!
really

Youngstown, OH

#21019 Jul 29, 2012
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
I hear he is a great, great guy. Just ask him.
Is this the loud mouth who I hear is Petroni's puppet.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#21020 Jul 29, 2012
Ask him next time you see him.
Answer

Thornville, OH

#21021 Jul 29, 2012
The board members are elected by the taxpayers, not the children, unless they are of voting age. The children's first agenda means looking out for the children's educational welfare, before that of the parents, teachers, boosters, coaches or any other adults with a different agenda than getting the best education possible for the children in the district. It does not mean letting the children select their own principal because he greets them everyday. Or provides donuts. The board members are the ones who set the path for the administrators to follow. If the administrators cannot do as asked, they may be better off in a different position, or gone altogether. If they are under contract, at least get something productive out of them, instead of paying them to leave.
Better answers

Dayton, OH

#21022 Jul 29, 2012
Answer wrote:
The board members are elected by the taxpayers, not the children, unless they are of voting age. The children's first agenda means looking out for the children's educational welfare, before that of the parents, teachers, boosters, coaches or any other adults with a different agenda than getting the best education possible for the children in the district. It does not mean letting the children select their own principal because he greets them everyday. Or provides donuts. The board members are the ones who set the path for the administrators to follow. If the administrators cannot do as asked, they may be better off in a different position, or gone altogether. If they are under contract, at least get something productive out of them, instead of paying them to leave.
You really should give the children in our community more respect. They act much better than most of the adults. Look at the mess our school district is in now. Don't give too much credit to the adults running the show right now..........they are the problem!
Other Questions

Youngstown, OH

#21023 Jul 29, 2012
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
So we say that it is "children first", but when they have something to say, we shouldn't listen to them??? Is it it really "children first" or "parents first"??? Our students that rallied for Dr. Malone were well spoken respectful women and men and we should be proud of them!!! I know I was proud of each and everyone one of them. Maybe we should listen to our children because the adults in this community are not putting children first!!!!
Were those students showing disrespect toward school board authority the same "well spoken respectful women and men" that plan revenge "when they are old enough to vote?"

Isn't disrespect of school board authority shown by the Springboro Athletic Boosters the root cause of boro boosters rot which is now under criminal investigation. Where's the pride?
Google Search

Milford, OH

#21024 Jul 29, 2012
Search his name and Sky Bank together. Sounds like a bully to me!
Other answers

Dayton, OH

#21025 Jul 29, 2012
Other Questions wrote:
<quoted text>
Were those students showing disrespect toward school board authority the same "well spoken respectful women and men" that plan revenge "when they are old enough to vote?"
Isn't disrespect of school board authority shown by the Springboro Athletic Boosters the root cause of boro boosters rot which is now under criminal investigation. Where's the pride?
They were protesting in a respectful manner. Maybe you should have listened to their side. They were in NO WAY disrespectful!!!! As far as the Athletic Boosters issues, you really need to wait for the investigation to be over..........you will get your answers then. I have so much pride for the children that we have educated in this community....the adults could learn something from them!!!
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#21026 Jul 29, 2012
Better answers wrote:
<quoted text>
You really should give the children in our community more respect. They act much better than most of the adults. Look at the mess our school district is in now. Don't give too much credit to the adults running the show right now..........they are the problem!
I concur, our district is a mess. We have 2000+ students who are receiving a failing education. And we have another 1000 or so who being labeled accelerated. Few know that accelerated means you got 60-74% of the achievement test correct.

It is time some of us in the system begin to take responsibility for our performance both inside and outside the classroom. These results are the cumulation of the past five years of education. If you look at the fifth grade numbers you can see the foundation that was laid the previous five years.

The real victims here are the children who receive much less than we promote.
Worth Repeating

Youngstown, OH

#21027 Jul 29, 2012
Answer wrote:
Totally Agree!
Excuse Me

Youngstown, OH

#21028 Jul 29, 2012
Other answers wrote:
<quoted text>
They were protesting in a respectful manner. Maybe you should have listened to their side. They were in NO WAY disrespectful!!!! As far as the Athletic Boosters issues, you really need to wait for the investigation to be over..........you will get your answers then. I have so much pride for the children that we have educated in this community....the adults could learn something from them!!!
There is simply no right way to do the wrong thing.
Students showing disrespect toward school authority is wrong. Boosters fundraising practices that are illegal and unethical are wrong.
It's not easy to face our weaknesses, but when we do face them, we have a chance to correct or work around them.
We now have for the first time in years a BOE leadership majority who are strong enough to confront wrongdoing in our school district; and weaknesses in our school district employees; and that means that it is now time for these wrong doers to go.
EXCUSE me back

Dayton, OH

#21029 Jul 29, 2012
Excuse Me wrote:
<quoted text>
There is simply no right way to do the wrong thing.
Students showing disrespect toward school authority is wrong. Boosters fundraising practices that are illegal and unethical are wrong.
It's not easy to face our weaknesses, but when we do face them, we have a chance to correct or work around them.
We now have for the first time in years a BOE leadership majority who are strong enough to confront wrongdoing in our school district; and weaknesses in our school district employees; and that means that it is now time for these wrong doers to go.
AGAIN they were not disrespectful!!
No Excuse

Youngstown, OH

#21030 Jul 29, 2012
EXCUSE me back wrote:
<quoted text>
AGAIN they were not disrespectful!!
Liar! Liar! pants on fire!

Again, They were disrespectful little snots!
No Excuses

Dayton, OH

#21031 Jul 29, 2012
No Excuse wrote:
<quoted text>
Children should not be on this site........it's way past your bedtime!!
wow

Dayton, OH

#21032 Jul 29, 2012
No Excuse wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you KIDDING me?!

I am embarrassed for you. Such anger and hatred. You really should get some help. Soon.
Answer

Thornville, OH

#21033 Jul 29, 2012
Who cares? Governing by crisis is not good governing. Whether it is students, teachers or parents, wearing black or chanting slogans is disruptive and rude. We elect the board, we should let them run things. If we don't like it, we vote them out. We don't cry and whine ....should I say it?.....like children.

Now, let's get back to the real issues. WHERE IS THE MONEY? All the Booster money since 2004 has disappeared. Do not let them be in charge of one more cent.

What about the COACHES? WHERE IS THE MONEY? We know it went into someone's bank account. WHO HAS THE SPORTS FUND RAISER MONEY?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#21034 Jul 29, 2012
One must remember that as children/young adults they have no frames of reference to with which to evaluate their positions. We as adults have some points of reference and experiences that we can utilize to weigh the pros and cons in a of logical fashion.

Young adults are easily swayed by emotion and rhetoric, which often rings hollow when faced with scrutiny. Young people tend to view the world as they have become accustom to seeing it each day. They are not as comfortable as one would imagine with change. If you don't believe me tell your kids you are moving to Eaton, then note their reaction.

The youth, as has been the case from time immemorial, press the boundaries
established by their elders. Always advancing their idealism to press for change which they believe wholeheartedly is needed.

As adults, we are charged with tempering the enthusiasm of youth with the hard won wisdom and experience gained through a lifetime of living.

As always, kids will get away with whatever we let them. We, however should be adults, it suits most of us.
jimmy

United States

#21035 Jul 29, 2012
Show Us The Money wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did the past five board members who have served as Springboro Board of Education just look the other way and ignore their responsibilities to serve our children's best interest first?
Mr. Anderson, Shame on you!
Mr. Miller, Shame on you!
Mr. Kruse, Shame on you!
Mr. Colston, Shame on you!
Mr. Thomsen, Shame on you!
Each one of you have failed in protecting our schools and community's best interest.
Each one of you had opportunity to hold the school superintendent and the school athletic director accountable to the school district's legal by-laws and policies related to our school district and the Springboro Athletics Boosters; but you chose instead to "go along to get along" and this fundraising mess continued until now. Isn't it time to acknowledge responsibility and stop blaming those who are doing the right thing??
AGAIN! WHEN DID JIM RIGANO LAST SERVE ON THE BOE AND WHY WAS HE NEVER PRESIDENT? What say you? More deflections or a straight answer?
jimmy

United States

#21036 Jul 29, 2012
really wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this the loud mouth who I hear is Petroni's puppet.
Who would that be? The puppet I mean?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Chuck 19,852
Brian Perry 11 hr margaret 1
tony dozier (Jan '10) 13 hr smiles 24
strip clubs (Nov '11) 20 hr anonymous 11
News Former Channel 7 anchor hired by Channel 2 (Nov '12) Apr 24 Leroy 17
theodore franks missing since 1986 Apr 23 wyatt 1
News Ambulance, fire levy sparks debate in Ohio (Feb '13) Apr 23 Throatme 2,047
More from around the web

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]