Is It Sinful for Christian Women to Wear Pants and Makeup?

Full story: Campus Life

Q: The Bible tells us to separate ourselves from the world. It's obvious we shouldn't be drinking and doing drugs.
Comments
21 - 40 of 529 Comments Last updated Saturday Aug 2
Julia -same person

Arlington Heights, IL

#22 Jul 29, 2007
Also the Bible talks about Jezebel and how she put on makeup and also other scriptural passages refer to the use of makeup (in a negative way). In Revelation, Jesus calls someone a Jezebel so you can be sure that that Old Testament example can still be applied to the New Testament church.
Don't build a false sense of security in your makeup. Don't make it your god. If you can't walk out of the house without makeup on you've got a problem.
Makeup was used by Native Americans to make them look more fierce than they really are. It was also an important part or the Middle Eastern devotion to certain godesses.
It is also used in magic.
Are you confident because you look a certain way?
When someone tells you you need to put some more makeup on, they are very mistaken. It is a FACT that God made you beautiful. No matter what people say. Trust the Lord. He knows what He is talking about.
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30
"Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'" " Matthew 22:37
Sure it says in 1 Samuel 16:7 :
"But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." "
but Jesus said in Matthew 15:18 :
"But the words you speak come from the heart—that’s what defiles you."
Have you ever considered that the things we do come from the heart? From the heart we do all things. When we put on makeup, it is an action. It is from the heart.
Don't be so hypocritical and overlook all that tears you away from the world. Don't try to be like the world. Instead when you put something on, ask yourself "By what I'm wearing, can you tell that I am a Christian?"
Also, you have got to realize that not every man that looks at you going to be your husband. Men when they look at someone that is dressed immodestly, that image that they saw of that person may pop up later in the day and that image may wrestle with the way his wife looks. Would you want to cause that pain for another married couple? I sure wouldn't want my husband to be struggling with another woman's image.
Matthew 7:12 :
" “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets. "
Julia

Arlington Heights, IL

#23 Jul 29, 2007
When we go to church we wear certain things to not distract men from serving God right? Then if we know that certain things tempt men why do we make it an exception to wear it outside of church? Aren't these the same men that would be tempted in church and would be distracted from God? Shouldn't men be serving God all the time? Men go through enormous temptation by the way many women dress and to dress a different way then you would is church is hipocritical. Who are you dressing for? God, or men? Men really do notice when you are trying to dress modestly. And if you do something befpre you're married, such as dress immodestly, then you are likely to do it during marriage as well.
You don't need make-up. And whoever tells you that you need more makeup is simply wrong. God made you beautiful and that is a FACT. Don't fall into the lies of this world.
Also when women put on makeup they neglect their skin, and damage the temple of the Holy Spirit.
Lastly, when you put on make-up you're basically saying: "Well You know God, if You made my cheeks a little bit pinker, I would've looked so much cuter!" <<-- that is an insult to God. Ever thought about the fact that God made you the way you are for a reason?

When you try to look like "the girl next door" your husband wont fall in love with you but with the makeup "of the girl next door" and he might just see a prettier woman that puts makeup on a little better than you and is also "a girl next door" so he might just leave you for her. Your eyes are the windows to your soul.Don't try to alter them. Be yourself. Be who God created you to be.
Sorry to be getting a little off topic but what I have noticed personally is that the "celebrity baby boom" only speaks of one thing: that women really do want families.. and sometimes large ones. And now that everybody is having kids, so are the rest of the celebrities. So the feminist mentality has really been proven wrong which says that women are in bondage because of their demanding husbands and children etc. So trust the Word of God because trends change but the Word of God remains the same.
Julia

Arlington Heights, IL

#24 Jul 29, 2007
oh sorry i thought this thing didnt really work some things repeated =]]
Driven

Naperville, IL

#25 Jul 30, 2007
This is hilarious! What would you say to other cultures where men where garments that are "dresslike?" Jesus and the disciples wore robes which are in essence- "dresses!"

There are much bigger fish to fry! The Word says to take care of the log in your own eye before pointing out the speck in mine!
Theresa

Decatur, TX

#27 Aug 14, 2007
Woman can wear make up and mini skirts. God doesnt care what you wear. If that was the case, all the homeless would go to hell fore their clothing is just awful, poor children in other countries who have no clothes would go to hell, etc. GOD DOES NOT CARE WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE OR WHAT YOU WEAR!
maria

Brandon, MS

#28 Aug 18, 2007
if your husband is ok with it,& God is ok with it...wear it..but within boundaries. and the reason why you wear it is the main factor. if you arte wearing it to draw attention to yourself, wrong motive...if you are to look pretty for your husband, fine..
cameo

New York, NY

#29 Aug 18, 2007
Pants, no. But how about a really, really short skirt?
cameo

New York, NY

#30 Aug 18, 2007
Julia, the fact is that God did not make most women beautiful. I have no idea what you look like, but since I'd say onl 3-5% of women are really beautiful, chances are you're not one of them. Makeup helps. You may not care what you look like. But other people are the ones who have to look at you. So give the world a break, and put on a little lipstick and mascara. Really, it's not going to kill you. Foundation, for whoever said it's bad for the skin, is the best sun protection there is. And really, how could anyone be so deranged to think that God has time to give a flying if you're wearing make up -- or whatever you wear, for that matter.
American

Springfield, MO

#31 Aug 18, 2007
DeniseApostolic wrote:
I disagree with Mom from Ohio! The bible says in 1 Corinthians 2:15 the apostle Paul states "But he that is spiritual JUDGETH ALL THINGS...." to add on to that when you meet someone or know someone that claims salvation you should stop immediatley and look at what they got on (as well as other things such as the things they say and the actions they do). If someone tells me they are saved yet the Holy ghost they "supposedly" got let them put an a mini skirt and they got tatoos and all kinds of piercings---- more towards the topis they got on the tightest fitting jeans ,something has got to be wrong.Even if the pants are loose now you look even more like a woman in man's clothing its just not right.It was stated in Deut. 22:5 that a woman shouldn't wear that which pertaineth to a man. God always wanted there to be a separation in what men wear and what women wear like Deut.22:5 -one of the first books of the bible even down to 1 Peter 3:3 one of the last books of the bible. They are not requirements that we as christians have they are commandments made by God .WE are simply just telling them the truth. And if they weren't willing to accept the truth they weren't ready to recieve salvation any way.As for makeup women shouldn't wear that either as stated 1 Tim.2:9 (shamefacedness) I'm even gonna throw in the fact that women shouldn't wear jewelry.(1 Tim 2:9 and 1 Peter 3:3. These are the things that apply to being holy and having holiness "without which no man shall see the lord"(Heb.12:14)
Good answer and the truth by the Scriptures. As Jesus said "Why call me Lord,Lord and do not the things that I say?"
American

Springfield, MO

#32 Aug 18, 2007
Theresa wrote:
Woman can wear make up and mini skirts. God doesnt care what you wear. If that was the case, all the homeless would go to hell fore their clothing is just awful, poor children in other countries who have no clothes would go to hell, etc. GOD DOES NOT CARE WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE OR WHAT YOU WEAR!
Show a little common sense and wisdom that the Lord gave all people will ya?
American

Springfield, MO

#33 Aug 18, 2007
cameo wrote:
Julia, the fact is that God did not make most women beautiful. I have no idea what you look like, but since I'd say onl 3-5% of women are really beautiful, chances are you're not one of them. Makeup helps. You may not care what you look like. But other people are the ones who have to look at you. So give the world a break, and put on a little lipstick and mascara. Really, it's not going to kill you. Foundation, for whoever said it's bad for the skin, is the best sun protection there is. And really, how could anyone be so deranged to think that God has time to give a flying if you're wearing make up -- or whatever you wear, for that matter.
Maybe if you read the Lord's Word you would stop pretending to know what God accepts or requires of us all?
cameo

New York, NY

#34 Aug 19, 2007
If you were to re-read my post, you'd realize I said exactly that it's pure folly for anyone to guess or pretend to know what God accepts or requires, whether or not he or she speaks English, or what his/her fashion preferences are. The mere idea that belief in God or spirituality has anything to do with fashion boggles the mind. Why stop at pants? Why not go for a chador or maybe the full Monty with a nice black Burkha? I mean-- who are you or I or anyone else even to begin to contemplate, recommend or impose such nonsense? Ans as for what you call the
"Lord's Word", I am assuming you are referring to the Scriptures. Do you see God sitting at a writing desk with a Mont Blanc, a quill pen, or a Pentel rolling writer in his/her hand?
A brother

Centerville, MA

#35 Aug 19, 2007
The Scriptures in Deuteronomy clearly speak to "Cross Dressing" Wearing that which pertaineth to a man or woman...In our society There are pants for males and pants for females (pants are not exclusively male or female)Biblical writers neither wore pants nor skirts, nor dresses, nor suits, nor many of todays garments..thus we have society to look to for their perception of what is male and female, and the Holy Spirit for what is appropriate within the societal norms(Not denominational bylaws)...in Scotland their are Kilts (Skirts) for men and Skirts for Woman, In Africa their are Robes for men and Robes for Women...In Biblical days in Palestine...The male and female garments were almost identical except for the length of them (The Woman's being Longer. Truly the Spiritual man judges all things...but this scripture is preceeded by " The natural man understandeth not the the things of the Spirit..." I will respond to the Jewelry issue Asap... Thanks for your post...In Christs love....a brother
Theresa

Decatur, TX

#36 Aug 28, 2007
American wrote:
<quoted text>
Show a little common sense and wisdom that the Lord gave all people will ya?
Like I said, God doesnt give 2 hoops on what ya wear! Now get a grip!
Kayla

United States

#37 Aug 28, 2007
Dress with modesty avoiding costly apparel 2 tim 2:9

Since: Jun 07

Columbus, OH

#38 Aug 28, 2007
Are all you on this forum in Xenia? I see that Xenia has never changed..........
Nette

Bristol, VA

#39 Sep 1, 2007
Mom from OH wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that judging someone by appearance is not the way God intended us to look at someone (Man looks at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart). When we as Christians have all these "neat little requirements" then we shut those people out that we want the most to reach out to. We are basically telling them, you can't be what we are until you become like us. That's human standards, not devine. God welcomes everyone!
It does matter to God what we look like. A Christian should look different than the people out in the world. The Bible says a women should not put on garments that pertain to a man. And the only woman in the Bible that wore makeup was Jezebel and she was fed to the dogs.
Buddy-a Sister in Christ

AOL

#40 Sep 3, 2007
It's been a long time since I've been on one of these discussion boards, and I see nothing has changed. It's always the young that think they have all the answers, and those of us who have been around the block a few times are not so sure.
Anyway, I thought as an old married lady of 39 years to the same wonderful man, I thought I'd throw in a few comments. The Bible is clear that the sexes should not wear each other's clothes; that is a given. However, has anyone noticed that in biblical times, men and women dressed more alike than they do now? Now, I wear pants sometimes, however, I wear skirts and dresses more often than not to work. But, I can tell you that my husband would not be caught in "girl's clothes," whether it be my ladie's tees (which do not look or fit anything like men's tees anymore than my women's jeans or slacks do. And I would look ridiculous in his clothes as well, although in our young married days, I used to love to sleep in his tees because they were so comfy and came all the way down to my knees (very modest, hee hee).
Which brings up another topic, if I did wear his clothes in our moments of complete privacy, what would it matter as all things in the marriage bed are undefiled.
As for makeup, I say to each her own. At 16 or 17, most girls are naturally beautiful without makeup, although I admit I have always worn it. However, no one would ever mistake me for a hooker, a woman trying to be picked up, etc., I am a consertative, normal looking, respectable married woman.
We can argue about all this till the cows come home, but don't you think a little common sense needs to come into play. Although we are set apart from the "world," we still live in this world and not in the world of 1st century Christians, and while the same concepts hold true, we need to look at how the Bible applies to our own culture.
Buddy-a Sister in Christ

AOL

#41 Sep 3, 2007
I wanted to say one more thing about Jezebel, who is often brought up as a reason not to wear makeup. Jezebel was a wicked woman and she wore makeup, right? Well, to her, putting on her makeup to face her public was no different than putting on her queenly robes. Because she was wicked, does that make that fact wicked? There have been good and decent queens, and there have also been wicked kings. So what? The president dresses a certain way to address the nation, and he dresses differently when he is relaxing with his family. For me, putting on my makeup is no different than combing my hair or brushing my teeth. It is a part of my daily grooming, and if there are times I feel like doing neither at home, so what? A thing in and of itself is neither good not bad, it is how and what it is used for. Let's try to keep things in contest, huh?
A Christian

Taiwan

#42 Sep 6, 2007
I am glad that the Lord looks upon the heart, Didn't he also tell us that he judge the inside of a person and that the world judge the outside of a person ? Thank you Lord for begin my judge and not the 'world'
I can find the verse that I am talking about if anyone needs it

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Home2Home Consignments Bait & Switch (Mar '11) 3 hr vetted 12
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Bently 18,880
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 4 hr Anonymous of Indy 30,543
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 5 hr ALL ABOUT THE FRE... 31,202
This is why I am an Ann Fan! 14 hr Ann Fan 3
looking for a text buddy (Nov '12) 21 hr bill 44
Aaron fannigan Fri he aint all into you 2
•••
•••
•••

Springboro Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Springboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Springboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Springboro
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••