Springboro School
don gingerich

Dayton, OH

#1 Dec 27, 2008
Springboro school officals now find themselves pleading for more taxpayers money because of lavish spending and poor planning. Several years ago it was clear the district would soon have an over abundance of students. We now have this and it will get worse. Tax and spend has led to enormous costs and overhead we can no longer afford. Normally, business in a district pay their fair share of taxes without adding students. Springboro is not known for encouraging business.
In March of 2003, I called Dr. Baker and suggested a plan ( would have to be approved by the State Legislature) to charge each builder of a new home to be constructed in the county, a $10,000 assessment that would be paid directly to the schools. If this slows new residence construction, fine. If\it does not slow growth and a new house is built. schools get $10,000.00 to help with added expenses. I asked Dr. Baker if he would support such a plan. I informed him two commissions were for it and Richard Finan, President of the Senate, at the time, thought it was a good idea. Bakers reply was "I'll take any money you have to give me." End of conversation. If you recall, the present method of funding schools in Ohio had been struck down by the court. He obviously wasn't worried about money.
There will be no additional money given by the State for schools. It's broke. Springboro is classed as a wealthy school district and the more money taxpayers pay, the less the State contributes to our schools. Going back to taxpayer who are under serious financial stress at his time is not going to work. Cutting busing means you are shifting the financial burden to parents.
I was the founder and president of several private schools for 20 years. We also went through a period of hard times. We did not cut or dismiss any teachers, but we cut all administrators salaries by 30% including myself. We made non-essential cuts that didn't affect student's education and everything turned out fine after a few months.
Double dipping is a sore point with me. If you really care about school children and you retire with full benefits, you should volunteer your time. To me that's the American way.
I understand some cuts by the school are being made. I'm a believer cuts should start from the top. I realize public schools are government and it's a rare case it happens this way. Wouldn't it be nice if it did?
Bernie

Cincinnati, OH

#2 Dec 27, 2008
I remember the assesment plan. My only question is what happens if you have a family that "moves up" so to speak and they do not impact the school system. What also happens when you have people moving into used housing rather than new that effects the school system.

By the way...hope you had a good christmas Don.
Bernie

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Dec 28, 2008
Here is a question from way out.....what if the School District declared bankruptcy....could it break the teachers union?
Bernie

Cincinnati, OH

#4 Dec 28, 2008
Where can we find exactly how many kids have and are now coming in and how many have and are leaving?
BoroLivin

West Milton, OH

#5 Dec 28, 2008
Bernie,
Here is a link for you to look up the student enrollment data.(click on enrollment and customize your report)

http://ilrc.ode.state.oh.us/Power_User_Report...

The data from ODE is what the district has to report. It does not reflect exactly how many transfered in or how many out, but does reflect the net from year to year. This data is standardized across the state.

I could have just told you the numbers, but I want you to see them with your own eyes -- and see what other type of info you might on the ODE wesite.
Bernie

Cincinnati, OH

#6 Dec 28, 2008
Good Site!!!! Thanks
Newts Wally

Loveland, OH

#7 Dec 29, 2008
Don Gingrich Makes Too Much Sense (Again).*****
The Baker Regime is Blotted and Needs to Be Reduced.
The U.S. Economy is Going South Towards Depression.
No Community Can Afford Baker and His Airplane Any Longer. Fire the Baker Dozen, Pick Any 13 Administrators.
Live Free or Die!
don gingerich

Dayton, OH

#8 Dec 31, 2008
Bernie wrote:
Here is a question from way out.....what if the School District declared bankruptcy....could it break the teachers union?
The anser is no. The State will take over the school.
Newts Wally

Springfield, OH

#9 Jan 6, 2009
Rhetorical Question : Is There Any Truth to the Rumor That the Wimmer Descendants, Who Have Never Seen a Tax Hike They Didn't Like, Still Want to Pay Higher Taxes?
Bernie

Cincinnati, OH

#10 Jan 9, 2009
Don, Borolivin has a numerous amount of links to data and reports. I thought it might be usefull to put them on one forum page for ease of use. Number them with a small description then the link.

Cite the data and post the link. What are your thoughts?
Good Ol Boy

Englewood, OH

#11 Jan 17, 2009
I just got called a school nazi on another blog by someone called "not a baker fan." Now I see Mr. Gingerich here starting his own new love fest.

Do you guys know how "radical" you sound? I'm a new resident of Springboro. I wouldn't have moved here if the "great" suggestion of 10 Grand was passed into law.

I don't trust you radicals--and oh--by the way--this "newbie" and "nazi" voted three times against the levy request. But it wasn't because of you fools.

As a levy opponent, I would be freakin' ashamed to be associated with you all.
not a baker fan

United States

#12 Jan 18, 2009
why the sudden interest in Gingerich? What are you afraid of? Don't like me suggesting people call him, then don't. See, that was easy.

ok...I"d rather light one candle, than curse 1000 times in the dark.

All you are attempting to do here is discredit the man. It's pretty obvious.
not a baker fan

United States

#13 Feb 8, 2009
not a baker fan wrote:
why the sudden interest in Gingerich? What are you afraid of? Don't like me suggesting people call him, then don't. See, that was easy.
ok...I"d rather light one candle, than curse 1000 times in the dark.
All you are attempting to do here is discredit the man. It's pretty obvious.
obviously you are the former memeber of the school board that got sacked.....:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Springboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Greater Dayton RTA 16 hr FIGHT ON THE BUS 3
Anyone know Matt Morrow? (Oct '15) 20 hr funny 137
c.i./snitches FOR CERTAIN 23 hr ucanfitallinsideyou 7
News Ohio Has So Many Overdoses They're Considering ... Tue non homo pheobie 10
Any tea baggers that weigh below 200 lbs? (Sep '10) Tue wowed 26
Mart Crowe (May '12) Mon Ky Gal 74
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Jul 17 observer 20,964

Springboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Springboro Mortgages