One injured in crash involving horse and buggy

One person suffered major injuries after a car collided with a horse and buggy Saturday on Path Valley Road. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Enough already

Hagerstown, MD

#1 May 17, 2010
These buggies are a menace. They should not be on the roads with vehicular traffic.
Rumspringer

Holmes, PA

#2 May 17, 2010
They are vehicles, just not motorized. Maybe they should wear helmets and seat belts? Where's the "organ donor" comments?:)
society says

Carlisle, PA

#4 May 17, 2010
Enough already wrote:
These buggies are a menace. They should not be on the roads with vehicular traffic.
morons like you are a menace.
Enough already

Hagerstown, MD

#5 May 17, 2010
I thought Dennis was the menace.
society says wrote:
<quoted text>
morons like you are a menace.
STUPID PEOPLE

Warren, OH

#8 May 17, 2010
Why would you pass while the buggy is turning???As for the stupid comments, you people need to get a life if all you have to do is sit around and make fun of accidents and other misfortunes of others.
hmmm

Chambersburg, PA

#9 May 17, 2010
STUPID PEOPLE wrote:
Why would you pass while the buggy is turning???As for the stupid comments, you people need to get a life if all you have to do is sit around and make fun of accidents and other misfortunes of others.
Before we start name calling how about we reread the article...ya know the part the buggy didn't use a turn signal...Have you ever went around a car that was turning??? It happens all the time because everyone is in too much of a hurry
Darth Vader

York, PA

#10 May 17, 2010
STUPID PEOPLE wrote:
Just how the hell was he supposed to know the buggy was turning ?
my thoughts

High Point, NC

#11 May 17, 2010
well if she hit the buggy, that means the horse was already across the lane of traffic! accidents happen, some could be avoided if patience was practiced.

the horses were on the roads, long before motorized vehicles were ever concidered, fact is, the covered wagon pulled by horse, oxen and mule were the reason we have roads. the twist and turns come from trees to big to get stumps out and easier to go around.

wouldn't it be a boring world if in fact we all live the same life?
Lil Abner

Annapolis, MD

#12 May 17, 2010
People ALWAYS in a hurry......
Unthinking, uncaring people that can not slow down a little bit are the real trouble.
Lessons learned by observing the slow movements of the Amish, the caring for each other, not looking for the fast pace moving life would be more healthy.
when you know that horses and buggies are in the area you keep a sharp eye open and the foot easy on the gas petal.
wow

Chambersburg, PA

#13 May 18, 2010
Darth Vader wrote:
<quoted text>
Just how the hell was he supposed to know the buggy was turning ?
Real simple pay attention. The buggies stay close to the shoulder as possible when cars are coming up on them so they can safely pass.
When a buggy is turning left such as this one, they will be near the center line or in the turning lane.

Again its called paying attention to what the buggy is doing where it is on the road!
YES

United States

#14 May 18, 2010
I agree, she was probably tailgating the buggy and couldn't wait to get around.

Just a thought... a world without motor vehicles we probably wouldn't have some of the problems we have today.
my thoughts wrote:
well if she hit the buggy, that means the horse was already across the lane of traffic! accidents happen, some could be avoided if patience was practiced.
the horses were on the roads, long before motorized vehicles were ever concidered, fact is, the covered wagon pulled by horse, oxen and mule were the reason we have roads. the twist and turns come from trees to big to get stumps out and easier to go around.
wouldn't it be a boring world if in fact we all live the same life?
from the area

Chambersburg, PA

#15 May 18, 2010
I live in the area, and I know these buggy's are a pain in the butt, butt I choose to live there so I guess I will deal with the matter. However, something should be enfored with buggy's on the road. The amish kids are always hanging out the back, but mine have to stay buckled in a car seat till 12!!!! I have to have my transportation inspected, insured, and liscensed, and they can just be out on the roads when ever.. however..
I have had some close calls as well with these buggy's.
HEY THERE

Chambersburg, PA

#16 May 18, 2010
Another thing to remember. THE ROAD WAS MADE FOR CARS...(with state money) and where does the state money come from???? Humm.. inspections?
bucketsofblood

York, PA

#17 May 18, 2010
gosh. you people really have no life. i just read ya'lls comments when im bored at school and have nothing better to do. its quite halarious that a car hit a horse and buggy. how she didnt see it i honestly dont know though. i hope the 63 year old dude ends up ok,.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#18 May 18, 2010
The problem isn't the buggies - it's the roads. There are no shoulders in most rural roads where these buggies ride along daily. If we have any common sense, we'd at least give them enough to room to move to the side of the road. Throw in PA's wonderful 90 degree turns and rolling hills, you have a recipe for disaster.

The buggies have every right to the road as anyone else and drivers should be cautious. But these tight roads just wide enough for two cars are the real hazard.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#19 May 18, 2010
They should have given the horse a breathalyzer test.
Stoltzfus

Newville, PA

#20 May 18, 2010
FISHINGCREEKJAMIE wrote:
They should have given the horse a breathalyzer test.
Dag nab it! Those Amish kids go crazy during rumspringa might as well check their animals too.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#21 May 18, 2010
Do they really go crazy? Like, I've never been a the bar and had a bunch of Amish kids on rumspringa show up to chug beers and car bombs. I would buy them a drink for sure.

I've done some rumspringa research actually and for the majority of Amish communities, although it's a time when they're allowed to do "non-Amish" things, they really don't. The point of rumspringa is to find a spouse and it begins at age 16 when the Amish youth are permitted to attend Sunday night "sings" which are the focus of Amish courtship.

A youth who dares to attend one of these events before reaching the age of sixteen will be forcefed warm milk from a spoon!

In Amish communities, rumspringa is also a term used to generally to describe adolescence as a whole and is mainly a time of decreased scrutiny toward behavior.

So really, few actually leave the community during this time.
What would you do

Sheppton, PA

#22 May 18, 2010
My word! You all must have a lot of issues to sit there and bad mouth people you don't even know...get a life. For those of you who don't live in the area I don't feel that you have the right to comment. When you are on a busy highway such as Rt 75 and the buggy did not use it's turn signal...please tell me what you would do? Because I can guarantee you wouldnt patiently follow it without attempting to pass. So again before you make useless, insensitive comments why don't you start talking about something that you actually know. And quit being so ignorant...it was an accident! We all make mistakes do we not?!?!
Its a blog

Hagerstown, MD

#23 May 18, 2010
What would you do wrote:
My word! You all must have a lot of issues to sit there and bad mouth people you don't even know...get a life. For those of you who don't live in the area I don't feel that you have the right to comment. When you are on a busy highway such as Rt 75 and the buggy did not use it's turn signal...please tell me what you would do? Because I can guarantee you wouldnt patiently follow it without attempting to pass. So again before you make useless, insensitive comments why don't you start talking about something that you actually know. And quit being so ignorant...it was an accident! We all make mistakes do we not?!?!
It's a blog dumb a s s..........what did you expect. Go hug a tree or something.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Run Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
yep Nov 30 great 1
vincent egor martz (Aug '13) Jul '14 martz 6
Review: JDT Slaughterhouse (Apr '14) Apr '14 ELYG 1
Principal's alleged involvement confirmed (May '11) Mar '14 jts 2
become a millio naire with this! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Andrea Holleran 1
Franklin County divorce decrees (Jun '11) Jun '11 Doctor Fill 3
Franklin County divorce decrees (Mar '11) Mar '11 ahh 2
Spring Run Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web