Car flees crash with horse and buggy

Small children suffered minor injuries Tuesday in a hit-and-run crash involving a horse-drawn buggy on Pa. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Just me

Wilmington, DE

#1 Jun 25, 2009
I'm really sorry that family got hurt. But, what is a horse and buggy doing out at 10:00 at night? Do they have lights on those buggies? I'm pretty sure it's dark by that time of the night.
With all the clues they left, it shouldn't be hard to find who did this.
There is no excuse for the person that hit them and ran. That's cold.
Who wants to bet that alcohol was involved?
George

Woodbridge, VA

#2 Jun 25, 2009
Just me wrote:
I'm really sorry that family got hurt. But, what is a horse and buggy doing out at 10:00 at night? Do they have lights on those buggies? I'm pretty sure it's dark by that time of the night.
Alcohol could very well have been involved. Some of the buggies do have lights, but many of the people over there disrespect the Amish - think they shouldn't be on the road because they don't pay road taxes.
x y z

Gettysburg, PA

#3 Jun 25, 2009
Yes, buggies are equipped with lights. I bet it was 'my two cents' beginning the eradication process. Damn racist psycho.
Mystified

Wilmington, DE

#4 Jun 25, 2009
As I have often said: Another GOOBER in a big rush to get NOWHERE!!!

Since: Jun 08

Colorado Springs, CO

#5 Jun 25, 2009
Somebody at the PO really needs to work on the headlines...

Did a Car flee WITH a horse and buggy? If so...were they towing it? Was it on top of the car?

Did the Car have a driver? If not...THAT would be a story! If so...would a better headline be 'Driver speeds away after Hitting Horse and Buggy'?

Just sayin'...
Ortho

Gettysburg, PA

#6 Jun 25, 2009
Just me wrote:
I'm really sorry that family got hurt. But, what is a horse and buggy doing out at 10:00 at night?
What do you do when you are out at 10pm? I didn't realize they had a curfew. By the way, they have church Wednesday nights.
POReader

Hollywood, MD

#7 Jun 25, 2009
They have lights on their buggies. I live here in Southern Md. and I see them at night frequently. And the traffic down here is a lot worse than up there! I just passed a boy on a wagon with his 2 horses as I drove home earlier. They have lanes for them to ride in down here.
my two cents

Carlisle, PA

#8 Jun 25, 2009
Just me wrote:
Some of them have small blinking red lights on the back, some just have reflectors. I would be willing to bet alcohol was involved. Glad that the family as well as the horse is okay, could have ended very badly.
Billy B

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Jun 25, 2009
UPDATE: I heard it was that 13 year old girl from Fannettsburg out for a ride in her mom's car again...
jr from the burg

Barnegat, NJ

#10 Jun 25, 2009
thats an amazingly accurate description of a vehicle that was seen "running away" at ten at night.
suprised

Media, PA

#11 Jun 25, 2009
Hum this happens a couple time a month in that area. seems to me there should be some laws put in to effect to the conditions of the buggies and the lighting issues on the front and back of the buggie and maybe this could be avoided. Also people do drive fast but when your going the speed limit for that area whatever it may be and the buggy is going its limit the two limits are very differant. Impact is going to be bad. I'm glad to hear the family is ok. Im sure that whatever happened will come out it always does.
no offense meant

Greencastle, PA

#12 Jun 25, 2009
The amish up Path Valley have NO respect for auto drivers, they ride their buggies right down the middle of the road and WILL NOT move over at all, they act like it is just for them. When you are driving up there if there are turns in the road you can run right into them because you cannot see past the bend and wham, there they are right infont of you and not yeilding at all. They are not like the ones in Lancaster or Southern MD.
I feel bad for the Amish and especially the children but they really need to move over.
boro gal

Wilmington, DE

#13 Jun 25, 2009
POReader wrote:
They have lights on their buggies. I live here in Southern Md. and I see them at night frequently. And the traffic down here is a lot worse than up there! I just passed a boy on a wagon with his 2 horses as I drove home earlier. They have lanes for them to ride in down here.
what part of southern md ...never heard of amish in md..just wondering
I Feel Your Pain

Shermans Dale, PA

#14 Jun 25, 2009
I live here, and yes, they do have lights. I feel that the Amish are rather concentrated in a 10 mile stretch or so of the valley, and since you can expect them in this area, you should slow down and be on the look out for them. Yes, sometimes if you are doing the speed limit and come over a hill or around a turn they can seem to appear suddenly, day or night, but so could a deer, or a broken down car, or a piece of lumber that has fallen off a truck, or even a child chasing a ball while parents are screaming and running to stop the child. Drivers need to always expect the unexpected and be prepared to avoid dangers and obstacles in the road. And to hit a vehicle of any type, car, bicycle or buggy, and then run without assisting the people involved is dead wrong.
Makes Sense NOT

Woodbridge, VA

#15 Jun 25, 2009
suprised wrote:
Hum this happens a couple time a month in that area. seems to me there should be some laws put in to effect to the conditions of the buggies and the lighting issues on the front and back of the buggie and maybe this could be avoided. Also people do drive fast but when your going the speed limit for that area whatever it may be and the buggy is going its limit the two limits are very differant. Impact is going to be bad. I'm glad to hear the family is ok. Im sure that whatever happened will come out it always does.
Right. That makes sense. The cars are hitting the buggies, so we need to put more requirements on the buggies and let the cars alone. NOT!
Makes Sense NOT

Woodbridge, VA

#16 Jun 25, 2009
no offense meant wrote:
The amish up Path Valley have NO respect for auto drivers, they ride their buggies right down the middle of the road and WILL NOT move over at all, they act like it is just for them. When you are driving up there if there are turns in the road you can run right into them because you cannot see past the bend and wham, there they are right infont of you and not yeilding at all. They are not like the ones in Lancaster or Southern MD.
I feel bad for the Amish and especially the children but they really need to move over.
Gee, I've never encountered ANY amish buggy riding down the middle of that road, or even near the center line. What are YOU doing that prevents you from slowing down until you are able to pass?
Freedom

Birdsboro, PA

#17 Jun 25, 2009
boro gal wrote:
<quoted text>
what part of southern md ...never heard of amish in md..just wondering
Get a map. You have Charles County, St.Mary's County,Calvert County
Makes Sense NOT

Woodbridge, VA

#18 Jun 25, 2009
A young girl who works at the Orrstown bank hit a buggy in Willow Hill last summer, the young Amish man had a broken pelvis and other injuries. The girl told his family that she had no insurance, and the lawyer they consulted in Dry Run told them there was nothing he could do about it. Now the Amish family has lots of bills that they have to pay, and everytime they go to the bank to do their banking the young girl runs into the back room so she won't have to deal with the family. That's pretty dirty, if you ask me!
Billy B

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Jun 25, 2009
Makes Sense NOT wrote:
... That's pretty dirty, if you ask me!
Actually, I don't think anyone was asking you for your erroneous and inaccurate version of the story.
Kevin

Gettysburg, PA

#20 Jun 25, 2009
no offense meant wrote:
I have never seen the Amish drive in the manner you are describing and I live in a heavily populated area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Run Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
yep Nov 30 great 1
vincent egor martz (Aug '13) Jul '14 martz 6
Review: JDT Slaughterhouse (Apr '14) Apr '14 ELYG 1
Principal's alleged involvement confirmed (May '11) Mar '14 jts 2
become a millio naire with this! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Andrea Holleran 1
Franklin County divorce decrees (Jun '11) Jun '11 Doctor Fill 3
Franklin County divorce decrees (Mar '11) Mar '11 ahh 2
Spring Run Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Spring Run People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Spring Run News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Spring Run

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:38 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 6:38PM
You miss DeSean Jackson now, Philadelphia Eagles?
Bleacher Report 6:45 PM
Eagles Should Turn to Matt Barkley in Week 17 If Playoffs out of Question
Bleacher Report 6:50 PM
Despite Win Redskins' D Still Major Problem
Bleacher Report 7:30 PM
Eagles vs. Redskins: Full Report Card Grades for Washington
ESPN 8:51 PM
Big-play Jackson questions 'naive' Eagles D