Tying Up Dogs In Cumberland County Wi...

Tying Up Dogs In Cumberland County Will Soon Be Illegal

There are 34 comments on the NBC 17 story from Jul 8, 2009, titled Tying Up Dogs In Cumberland County Will Soon Be Illegal. In it, NBC 17 reports that:

Starting August 1, Cumberland County residents will no longer be allowed to tie or chain pets to stationary objects outdoors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 17.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WTF

Raeford, NC

#1 Jul 12, 2009
I am about tired of big brother (government) trying to tell me what I can and cannot do on my property. I hope someone tries to come on my property and take my dog. trespassing is trespassing which will be dealt with. Anyway these clowns can think of to make a buck they do it.
FayettevilleChic k14

Lumberton, NC

#2 Jul 12, 2009
Ridiculous!!!!

Since: Mar 09

Fayetteville, NC

#3 Jul 14, 2009
Oh yeah.Big Brother you can kiss my grits.
Boom

AOL

#4 Jul 15, 2009
All this is going to do is cost some child his pet. Although I know that some dogs are tied up and forgotten, there are already laws that require food and water and immunization. Lets enforce the laws already on the books and not create new ones.
CCSD

United States

#5 Jul 19, 2009
This makes me think of Congress and how with all the crap going on in this country they decide they need to hold hearings to deal with steroid use in pro. baseball.
Completely pointless and a waste of time and money.

All this is is just one more tax put upon the people without representation.
froggie

Fayetteville, NC

#6 Jul 27, 2009
I hope the law is enforced in Hope Mills,why have a dog if you keep it tied up outside, thats not fair especially in this heat and humidity we have. Just think would you like to be tied up outside and have to drink hot water lay on the hot ground. I think that is just cruel.

Fayetteville, NC

#7 Jul 27, 2009
froggie wrote:
I hope the law is enforced in Hope Mills,why have a dog if you keep it tied up outside, thats not fair especially in this heat and humidity we have. Just think would you like to be tied up outside and have to drink hot water lay on the hot ground. I think that is just cruel.
I bet you have never had a dog.Next you'll try to tell me how to cook grit's.
leos rule

Fayetteville, NC

#9 Jul 28, 2009
i totally agree with someone.. My Best friend has a great dame and when shes off her leash she somehow gets out of the fence. she has had the police come to her house twicw that in know of because of the incidemt. i think this law will not last for long some child or someone is going to end up getting bite. Its sad that bad things have to happen before people realize things that are just plain common since. First its u cant spank your child(look how many out of control kids there are now) now its u cant have your dog tied up in ur yard where u pay the bills and the taxes . What next???? Sometime the government or who ever is comming up with all these laws really need to sit back and think before they speak.
leggs

Bayboro, NC

#10 Aug 3, 2009
I agree with everyone. Its a shame that the govenment is more worried about our "family" pets instead of our soliders dying in another country. Instead of wasting our time and money on petty stuff like this, the government should be concerned about why we have no police dept in spring lake, why our soliders are in Iraq over some BS and trying to find a way to end to unemployment. Dont get me wrong, I do not agree with people that abuse their pets but I do believe that there are other things that are a little more important.
Simonette

AOL

#11 Aug 10, 2009
im sorry but i agree with this. its August, and we have a heat wave going through Fayetteville and pretty much all of the Coastal Plain Region. Just imagine a poor little helpless puppy outside in 105oF weather. My Neighbor has a dog and ties her up with food but no water. Now dont get me wrong, you SHOULD be able to do what you want on your property, im not against that, but how would you like it if you were tied up with no access to food or water?? well there's my opinion.=)
Responsible Dog Owner

Apex, NC

#12 Aug 11, 2009
The fact of the matter is that many people purchase or are given a dog that they can not care for properly or afford to take care of. Whether that is not spaying/neutering the dog or not being able to afford a fence to keep the dog in. A dog becomes aggressive when left tethered in a yard. In addition it can't be very comfortable for an animal to lay in it's own waste in the 100 degree heat while tethered in your yard.
We are out of control in this county with uneducated, lazy animal owners and if we need "big brother" to control it then so be it. If you have a dog-vaccinate it, put up a fence, spay/neuter it and don't let it stand outside barking all day long.
So when you see a dog for sale on the side of a road and you have an extra $100.00 to buy it think about the costs involved over the years and whether you can keep that dog in your house instead of tethering it.
Boom

AOL

#13 Aug 12, 2009
Responsible Dog Owner wrote:
The fact of the matter is that many people purchase or are given a dog that they can not care for properly or afford to take care of. Whether that is not spaying/neutering the dog or not being able to afford a fence to keep the dog in. A dog becomes aggressive when left tethered in a yard. In addition it can't be very comfortable for an animal to lay in it's own waste in the 100 degree heat while tethered in your yard.
We are out of control in this county with uneducated, lazy animal owners and if we need "big brother" to control it then so be it. If you have a dog-vaccinate it, put up a fence, spay/neuter it and don't let it stand outside barking all day long.
So when you see a dog for sale on the side of a road and you have an extra $100.00 to buy it think about the costs involved over the years and whether you can keep that dog in your house instead of tethering it.
The fact that you would consider buying a pet on the side of the road (and encourage backyard breeding), tells me that you are not a "responsible pet owner".
Responsible Dog Owner

Apex, NC

#14 Aug 13, 2009
The fact that you would consider buying a pet on the side of the road (and encourage backyard breeding), tells me that you are not a "responsible pet owner".

The fact that you think I would consider buying a pet on the side of the road and encourage backyard breeding tells me you didn't read my post completely. No where did I encourage either backyard breeding or buying a pet on the side of the road. I am simply stating that many people buy these dogs on the side of the road and can't afford to take care of them. I state that you should spay/neuter your dog and consider all costs involved.
If you are going to resond to a post..read it and understand it first.
Boom

AOL

#15 Aug 13, 2009
Shut up! Read it and understand it (blah, blah, blah). Keep your wake county opinions where they belong, in wake county. Thanks so much for your "informed" opinion. Now go worry about your neighborhood, not ours.
Boom

AOL

#16 Aug 13, 2009
Although my dog is a house dog, not everyone has house dogs. Nor is my dog ever put on a tether. That being said, a dog on a chain is not indicative of a mistreated dog. Your way of raising, or caring for, a dog, is not the "be all, end all" of pet care.
Responsible Dog Owner

Apex, NC

#17 Aug 14, 2009
To Boom- it's wonderful that you too are a responsible pet owner!
I actually do live in Fayetteville and part of my disdain comes from my time spent living on Ft. Bragg and dealing with neighbors that had tied their dog up and it did become aggressive endangering my kids. While I now live in a great neighborhood there is a person that ties their dog up in the front yard. It's an eyesore, the dog is aggressive and it's cruel.
I'm not going to shut up about this issue I'll give my opinion the same as everyone else and hopefully everyone will treat their pets the same way as you and I. I agree with you that my opinion is not the "be all, end all" of pet care it's simply my opinion and like you I'm allowed to voice it. In my experience a dog tied up in a front yard 24/7 is a mistreated dog and it looks like Cumberland County officials agree with me...
Boom

AOL

#18 Aug 14, 2009
To Boom- it's wonderful that you too are a responsible pet owner!
I actually do live in Fayetteville and part of my disdain comes from my time spent living on Ft. Bragg and dealing with neighbors that had tied their dog up and it did become aggressive endangering my kids. While I now live in a great neighborhood there is a person that ties their dog up in the front yard. It's an eyesore, the dog is aggressive and it's cruel.
I'm not going to shut up about this issue I'll give my opinion the same as everyone else and hopefully everyone will treat their pets the same way as you and I. I agree with you that my opinion is not the "be all, end all" of pet care it's simply my opinion and like you I'm allowed to voice it. In my experience a dog tied up in a front yard 24/7 is a mistreated dog and it looks like Cumberland County officials agree with me...
Actually, we probably agree more than we disagree. Sometimes I can't help myself in these forums, in here, people paint with pretty wide brushes. I once adopted a dog off of Bragg. On a chain, no food or water in site, I could count her ribs and vertebrae. It made me tremble, I didn't even speak to the owner, I just loaded the dog up and took her. Being active duty at the time I couldn't believe this was going on on post. She was probably one of the best dogs I ever had, although she never fully regained her health, she gave me years of faithful companionship. But I don't blame the chain, I blame the owner. I do feel that a dog can be kept on a chain and still be properly cared for. I just fear this law will impact some youngster whose parents rent or cannot afford a fence.

“I've been gone for too long;”

Since: Aug 09

Think it's time I come back!

#20 Aug 17, 2009
Boom wrote:
Shut up! Read it and understand it (blah, blah, blah). Keep your wake county opinions where they belong, in wake county. Thanks so much for your "informed" opinion. Now go worry about your neighborhood, not ours.
dude, there's no rule that says she cant post here.

Fayetteville, NC

#21 Aug 19, 2009
I'll tell you what how about I drop off all my pets and my kids and you see if you can do a better job.When should I come over???
Responsible Dog Owner

Apex, NC

#22 Aug 20, 2009
lilacs57 wrote:
<quoted text>I'll tell you what how about I drop off all my pets and my kids and you see if you can do a better job.When should I come over???
Really? Your willing to drop off your kids with me and your pets..you are the parent of the year congratulations. When you can reply to a post with some type of intelligent answer that is relevant to the post try again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NC starts Chemours investigation over GenX Sat Uh Oh 4
Antisemitism in Fayetteville? Jul 20 Badabing 2
Fayetteville people in general. Jul 20 Badabing 2
what mc? (Sep '12) Jul 12 bucc0 25
News Richard David Perez and Justin Ryan Vasquez (Oct '10) Jul 11 Unknown friend 60
Transgender Dating in Fayetteville (Dec '14) Jul 10 Yummy 22
Power Moves will be providing free meals on Chr... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Keith 1

Spring Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spring Lake Mortgages