Spring Lake police chief suspended

Spring Lake police chief suspended

There are 66 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jan 2, 2009, titled Spring Lake police chief suspended. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Roger DeYoung, the police chief for the Spring Lake/Ferrysburg department , is serving an unpaid and mandatory suspension after being involved in a traffic accident on December 13.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

Info

Colorado Springs, CO

#42 Jan 3, 2009
MIbowhunter wrote:
<quoted text>And yet, the listed consequences for his actions prove that you are wrong. He was not judged more harshly than a private citizen. To drive a public owned vehicle for private use and have alcohol in your system while you are driving is grounds for prosecution AND termination in most fields. He recieved a 30 day suspension. You call that harsh? Please.....
Thats because he hasnt been convixted of a crime yet. It is still being reviwed by an independant prosecutor. Just like everybody else, innocent until proven guily.
AA is good

Hudsonville, MI

#43 Jan 3, 2009
Info wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats because he hasnt been convixted of a crime yet. It is still being reviwed by an independant prosecutor. Just like everybody else, innocent until proven guily.
OHHH NNNOOO! Not when it comes to a cop! A cop is guilty NO MATTER WHAT! They are always crooked, scum, pigs, the popo, liars, out to screw everyone, unfair, unjust, racist, egomaniacs, just itching to kill someone, power abusers, and the list goes on.

Its the only profession where you are totally at the scrutany of a clueless and completely uneducated and prejudiced citizenry.
Info

Colorado Springs, CO

#44 Jan 3, 2009
GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
He did not leave the scene. He stayed and exchaged info as required apparently. He did not report it to the police, a different crime. You only have to report it if there is a certain amount of damage, I can't remember the amount. If that happened in GR you would have gone in and reported it the next day, got your report # and that would have been the end of it.
Pete you are correct. If the damage is under $1000.00 dollars you are not required to call police and we are not required to do a report.
Info

Colorado Springs, CO

#45 Jan 3, 2009
AA is good wrote:
<quoted text>
OHHH NNNOOO! Not when it comes to a cop! A cop is guilty NO MATTER WHAT! They are always crooked, scum, pigs, the popo, liars, out to screw everyone, unfair, unjust, racist, egomaniacs, just itching to kill someone, power abusers, and the list goes on.
Its the only profession where you are totally at the scrutany of a clueless and completely uneducated and prejudiced citizenry.
Oh trust me I know, makes me feel good going to work every night.
HanginGr

Grand Rapids, MI

#46 Jan 3, 2009
red wrote:
He should be thank full to still have a job. My company had a "ZERO tolerance" for anything like that. To be a Police Chief/Officer and keep your job, darn good union.
as a Cheif he would be consider manament

Since: Sep 08

United States

#47 Jan 3, 2009
WOW wrote:
If this was anyone else, they would be in jail. I am pissed off at spring lake officer and law. The guy left the scene of an accident and was drinking. Come on!! I am not saying he should be fired, and people make mistakes, but he should be put into jailed and fined and go to court. Bottom line. If I hit someone, I will leave the scene and drink when I get home. Come on, who are the cops protecting. There own!! Power of the badge!!
For what he did not commit a crime that we know of. It was not a hit and run. Apparently the damage was minor. If anyone should be criticized here it is the cops that went to his house and gave him a PBT. He should have known better than to take the damn thing. NEVER take it.

Since: Dec 08

AOL

#48 Jan 3, 2009
I wonder if he will have to go in front of Judge Post? I wonder if this "HERO" will be treated different from the average person? The car being driven by this "Hero" the police chief, was paid for with our tax money. Should he not be held to a higher standard, should he have been driving his own personal car?

Wait I am sorry, this guy is a cop and I do not have the right to question him, for cops never do anything wrong. Next time we see this guy lets get down on our hands and knees and kiss the ground he walks on. He must be worshiped.
WDA48

Auburn, NY

#49 Jan 3, 2009
I would think that most police chiefs have a car to use for both personal and business use because they are basically on call 24/7 if anything happens they have to go..
Why do so many people feel that the police are bad asses when they do so much good for most of us all the time. They enforce laws to keep us all safe.
They put themselves in harms way for us all the time
and get paid very little to risk their lives for us.
Enough already...

Since: Sep 08

United States

#50 Jan 3, 2009
WDA48 wrote:
I would think that most police chiefs have a car to use for both personal and business use because they are basically on call 24/7 if anything happens they have to go..
Why do so many people feel that the police are bad **** when they do so much good for most of us all the time. They enforce laws to keep us all safe.
They put themselves in harms way for us all the time
and get paid very little to risk their lives for us.
Enough already...
Some cops make mistakes and commit crimes. Some abuse their office. Some people worship them to the extent they are blind to their weaknesses. Some of us are more skeptical.
Never empty

Deerfield, IL

#51 Jan 3, 2009
MIbowhunter wrote:
<quoted text>And yet, the listed consequences for his actions prove that you are wrong. He was not judged more harshly than a private citizen. To drive a public owned vehicle for private use and have alcohol in your system while you are driving is grounds for prosecution AND termination in most fields. He recieved a 30 day suspension. You call that harsh? Please.....
Bowhunter...don't assume that the 30 days suspension is ALL the consequences he will suffer. This is only the beginning. You are jumping to conclusions.

Since: Jun 08

Fennville, Mich

#52 Jan 3, 2009
I say if he is on call 24/7 then he was on duty. But,he will not get charged because the test was done after the fact. I do applaud him for steping up and following the protocol but I think he knew they couldn't do anything because it was after the fact.
Joel

Genoa City, WI

#53 Jan 3, 2009
WOW wrote:
If this was anyone else, they would be in jail. I am pissed off at spring lake officer and law. The guy left the scene of an accident and was drinking. Come on!! I am not saying he should be fired, and people make mistakes, but he should be put into jailed and fined and go to court. Bottom line. If I hit someone, I will leave the scene and drink when I get home. Come on, who are the cops protecting. There own!! Power of the badge!!
You are wrong and don't know all the facts of the case. If this was John Q public it would have been handled the same way. 4hrs after the incident there is no way the investgating officer can determine what the BAC was at the time of the accident. If anything he is being judged more harshly than anyone else. It it was you the case would have been closed that night for lack of evidence and nothing more would have been done.
devosisascamarti st

Granby, CO

#54 Jan 3, 2009
Considering that SL officers thrive on drunk driving arrests and write more speeding/traffic tickets per capita than all other w.michigan departments- mot firing him is as hypercritcal as it gets
working the beat

Traverse City, MI

#55 Jan 3, 2009
GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Some cops make mistakes and commit crimes. Some abuse their office. Some people worship them to the extent they are blind to their weaknesses. Some of us are more skeptical.
I do have to agree with you that yes there are some officers that do abuse their position and make mistakes...but we are all human and make bad choices and decisions and this does not just stop with officers of the law...what about the insurance agent that defrauds customers...or the business man that embezzles thousands of $$$ from the company he works for. These too are bad decisions made by "everyday citizens", which police officers are also "everyday citizens"...after all COP does stand for Citizen on Patrol.

What is so difficult about when one officer makes a bad decision is it affects every officer who wears the uniform everyday. So many judged by the actions of one. Understand I am not saying that what the Chief did was right, but that is something that he has to deal with, which he did step one in admitting to the issue.

As far as all the comments stating that cops are lying, "above the law", power greedy individuals...just please do remember when so many are running away from danger it is the duty of those wearing a badge to run toward it. So before anyone can say that all cops are "bad"...do recall "those who paid the ultimate sacrifice"...and they were "just doing their job" as those of us in West Michigan all recall the cost that Ofc Kozminski paid. Yes it is the job we choose, but hey someone has to do it, so until you put on the uniform and work the beat and see the true worst of what people are capable of...don't be so quick to judge the whole by the actions of one. Sadly we work many times a thankless job, not saying that we work it because we want someone to say thanks...but the sad reality is that when so many want to put down police and law enforcement and say that "all cops do is harrass me cause they just abuse their power", when that same person is in danger they call for an officer. And that officer responds to their call even though that same person they are helping just the previous day told them "where they can stick it" on a privious call...but that officer still goes and does their job...why? Because it is the duty we have sworn to.
Joel

Grand Haven, MI

#56 Jan 4, 2009
working the beat wrote:
<quoted text>
I do have to agree with you that yes there are some officers that do abuse their position and make mistakes...but we are all human and make bad choices and decisions and this does not just stop with officers of the law...what about the insurance agent that defrauds customers...or the business man that embezzles thousands of $$$ from the company he works for. These too are bad decisions made by "everyday citizens", which police officers are also "everyday citizens"...after all COP does stand for Citizen on Patrol.
What is so difficult about when one officer makes a bad decision is it affects every officer who wears the uniform everyday. So many judged by the actions of one. Understand I am not saying that what the Chief did was right, but that is something that he has to deal with, which he did step one in admitting to the issue.
As far as all the comments stating that cops are lying, "above the law", power greedy individuals...just please do remember when so many are running away from danger it is the duty of those wearing a badge to run toward it. So before anyone can say that all cops are "bad"...do recall "those who paid the ultimate sacrifice"...and they were "just doing their job" as those of us in West Michigan all recall the cost that Ofc Kozminski paid. Yes it is the job we choose, but hey someone has to do it, so until you put on the uniform and work the beat and see the true worst of what people are capable of...don't be so quick to judge the whole by the actions of one. Sadly we work many times a thankless job, not saying that we work it because we want someone to say thanks...but the sad reality is that when so many want to put down police and law enforcement and say that "all cops do is harrass me cause they just abuse their power", when that same person is in danger they call for an officer. And that officer responds to their call even though that same person they are helping just the previous day told them "where they can stick it" on a privious call...but that officer still goes and does their job...why? Because it is the duty we have sworn to.
Well said brother or sister!!!!!!!
WHY

Grand Rapids, MI

#57 Jan 5, 2009
Joel wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said brother or sister!!!!!!!
not well said. If your cop, you have to obey the law because you uphold the law. the chief should be fired. On the other note how many warnings have you passed out in the past year for people driving careless. Probably a dozen warnings to the many tickets you have passed out. Ticket happy. Your not heros, it is a job. A hero is someone who is saving a person life without being paid. Come on. Do your job! Quit crying. He should be in jail and be fired. I would be fired from my job.
WHY

Grand Rapids, MI

#58 Jan 5, 2009
Joel wrote:
<quoted text>
You are wrong and don't know all the facts of the case. If this was John Q public it would have been handled the same way. 4hrs after the incident there is no way the investgating officer can determine what the BAC was at the time of the accident. If anything he is being judged more harshly than anyone else. It it was you the case would have been closed that night for lack of evidence and nothing more would have been done.
I would get witnesses from the party he came from and he should never left the scene. He left the scene because his friend was there anybody else would have stayed. He was drunk. The rest of the public or Spring Lake PD might think I am dumb, but he does not fool me. Police officers call themselves Brother and Sisters for a reason. To protect themselves from incidents like this. If he was a real man and don't hide behind the badge, he should admit his mistake.
Lisa

Mishawaka, IN

#59 Jan 6, 2009
WHY wrote:
<quoted text>
I would get witnesses from the party he came from and he should never left the scene. He left the scene because his friend was there anybody else would have stayed. He was drunk. The rest of the public or Spring Lake PD might think I am dumb, but he does not fool me. Police officers call themselves Brother and Sisters for a reason. To protect themselves from incidents like this. If he was a real man and don't hide behind the badge, he should admit his mistake.
Ummm……so can you please show me where the Chief did not admit to making a mistake…or where “working the beat” calls them heroes.......and do you know the true history on why OFFICERS call themselves brothers and sisters?....people think they are making good points, good arguments, and then they slip and show their true ignorance and true educational level when they speak on something they have no idea what they are talking about…unless YOU where there that night?!...and if so maybe you could put your superior detective skills to work (since you have already proven you have them by stating one of the first guidelines to any investigation “talk to witnesses”) and find out some accurate information on the situation at hand…and then maybe post something a little bit more interesting and True then what you are already doing.
WHY

Grand Rapids, MI

#60 Jan 6, 2009
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm……so can you please show me where the Chief did not admit to making a mistake…or where “working the beat” calls them heroes.......and do you know the true history on why OFFICERS call themselves brothers and sisters?....people think they are making good points, good arguments, and then they slip and show their true ignorance and true educational level when they speak on something they have no idea what they are talking about…unless YOU where there that night?!...and if so maybe you could put your superior detective skills to work (since you have already proven you have them by stating one of the first guidelines to any investigation “talk to witnesses”) and find out some accurate information on the situation at hand…and then maybe post something a little bit more interesting and True then what you are already doing.
Lisa, I am glad he did not kill any of your loved ones drinking and driving. Good job Lisa. Good Job SISTER!! I hope he gets a raise. He is modeling Spring Lake PD like it should be modeled. Good Job BOSS, lets go have a drink.
Lisa

Mishawaka, IN

#61 Jan 6, 2009
WHY wrote:
<quoted text>
Lisa, I am glad he did not kill any of your loved ones drinking and driving. Good job Lisa. Good Job SISTER!! I hope he gets a raise. He is modeling Spring Lake PD like it should be modeled. Good Job BOSS, lets go have a drink.
The only thing your response accomplished was that everything I stated before is true! So just keep up the great work at making your mom proud!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grand Haven doesnt like black people (Oct '12) Jul 18 AssAssassin 33
News Teacher turnover, 'chronic' absenteeism prevale... May '17 Rick 1
News Jessica Heeringa found: This guy started the rumor (Jun '13) Apr '17 A friend 5
Scagel place Mar '17 Auld Skool 1
News BH Leaders Call For Action To Save Local Schools Jan '17 marvinlzinn 1
News Park Twp. Man Sentenced in Drive-By Shooting (Nov '16) Nov '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Wallet Snatchers in Downtown Holland SoughtHOLL... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Go Blue Forever 2

Spring Lake Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spring Lake Mortgages