Spring Lake police chief suspended

Spring Lake police chief suspended

There are 66 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Jan 2, 2009, titled Spring Lake police chief suspended. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Roger DeYoung, the police chief for the Spring Lake/Ferrysburg department , is serving an unpaid and mandatory suspension after being involved in a traffic accident on December 13.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Barnesville, OH

#21 Jan 2, 2009
In court, they will have to throw out the PBT result as several hours went by and they can not assume what his BAC was at the time of the incident. He should get away with this wrist slap.

“If ya can't say somethin' nice”

Since: Feb 08

Woodlands

#22 Jan 2, 2009
baseball wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it is.
I think you can still be charged will 'driving while impaired' or visibly impaired.
You are not off the hook just because you BAC wasn't the exact .08 You are still ,more than likely, impaired to an extent.
Driving while impaired is very iffy and is a misdemeanor. Like a traffic ticket...not enough to lose your job over. Yes for those who know me ... it is me defending a drunk driving law.... I am probably the strongest advocate for stiffer drunk driving laws that you will ever see. But the law is the law and we have to live with the current situation.
I agree with the poster above... he could have lied and said he was froze solid when he got home and has had several drinks to warm up and wind down.... but he didn't do that. He didn't avoid the law, in fact he followed the law and consented to the test.
Lets get it right here

Hudsonville, MI

#23 Jan 2, 2009
puzzled in GR wrote:
I find it interesting that two people responsible for the law - one for law making (Kevin Green) and one for upholding it (Spring Lake Police Chief) are both let off the hook for driving under the influence (and Mr. Green was so drunk he passed out after vomiting on himself), yet a local university president was forced to resign for lesser impairment, and his job was not in the law field! Perhaps justice isn't blind - it's only blind toward those who make and "uphold" the law!
First off, I don't know all the details on Mr. Green's situation, I didn't follow it too closely. But I wonder, was he arrested while the legislature was officially in session? If he was, he has what equates to "diplomatic immunity" and couldn't be charged. If the legislature wasn't in official session, then if was that intox that he threw up on himself, then he should have been suitable charged and let the courts/prosecutor and his lawyer hash that one out.

In the case of the SL/Ferrysburg Chief, first, he hasn't "gotten away with it as the report has been forwarded to the prosecutor for review. But second, again, there is a difference between violating village policy and state law.

And in the case of the Davenport University president...did the LAW make him resign or did the COLLEGE REGENTS (or whatever they are called at Davenport that are the governing body of the university) make him resign? Seems to me, I think it was the leadership of the university that made him step down...not the courts, cops or law.

“Just be you. ”

Since: May 08

Muskegon,MI

#24 Jan 2, 2009
on the fly wrote:
<quoted text>
Driving while impaired is very iffy and is a misdemeanor. Like a traffic ticket...not enough to lose your job over. Yes for those who know me ... it is me defending a drunk driving law.... I am probably the strongest advocate for stiffer drunk driving laws that you will ever see. But the law is the law and we have to live with the current situation.
I agree with the poster above... he could have lied and said he was froze solid when he got home and has had several drinks to warm up and wind down.... but he didn't do that. He didn't avoid the law, in fact he followed the law and consented to the test.
I agree. Another poster had just stated that it was not against the law to consume alcohol then drive. I ,then,was just trying to say that BAC does not have to .08 to be in some sort of legal trouble, that's all.

I agree that he handled it better than some people may have. But driving while intoxicated is just that, no matter who you are.
Up north dude

Big Rapids, MI

#26 Jan 2, 2009
SOS wrote:
Chances are he'll get off because he has connections. I hope the rotten pig gets into another wreck but this time kills himself.
Dude...you have some serious issues. You might want to get some counseling. A little harsh don't you think??
gonesilver

Saint Joseph, MI

#27 Jan 2, 2009
Lets get it right here wrote:
PART 1...
There are way too many posts ahead of this one to quote/reply to them all...so I'll just try to address the issues raised by all of you in the first 13 posts on this thread.
First...it is NOT AGAINST THE LAW to drive after drinking alcohol. It IS AGAINST THE LAW to drive if you have a BAC above .08 in Michigan.
Now, I do not know what the level was with his blood test, which is far greater in the accuracy since it is the actual concentration of alcohol in the blood stream rather and not the estimation of through a breath sample. That is why it is called a "PREMILIMARY breath test."
So, it doesn't matter if he was UNDER .08 when it comes to the LAWS OF MICHIGAN. He is NOT in violation if under that level.
Second, none of us know what the policy is for the village of Spring Lake with respect to whether they consider his department car as totally village property or if he is allowed to use it for personal use. If it is allowed for personal use, then there are different rules then if it is for "official use only."
My guess would be that it is somewhere in between and that is why he has been given the suspension. But as long as he was below the .08 level, he is NOT a DRUNK DRIVER as defined by Michigan State law.
And NEITHER WOULD ANY OF US READING THIS THREAD.
Regarding his going home and drinking some more...not really a valid issue. He was pulled out of the snow bank, information was exchanged and to both parties, ISSUE SOLVED.
It is the insurance company who when contacted required a police report. And many car insurance companies have 24 hour customer support, so its not unreasonable to have officers respond at 4 AM, especially if it wasn't many hours after the accident.
They couldn't do a breath test, he wasn't driving...so they go with the blood test. Why wouldn't he agree to it. They take blood at the hospital and go home and go to sleep. Nothing can be done until the results come in from the lab anyway.
donkeyjim....NO ONE has said he WAS ON DUTY at the time. Yes, he's the chief and on call 24/7, but he does have a life like the rest of us. Show me where it is reported he WAS WORKING on the clock. This is just your own preconceived anti-cop attitude and opinion.
Drunk driving? We'll never really know. Why?
Because he left the scene of an accident. I believe any other citizen would have been arrested on that charge alone. As for using the city car off duty, that may or may not be a perk or a requirement of his office.I find it hard to understand how some,(by no means all),police officers can arrest someone for doing something today,that they themselves had just done the night before.I know this is true because I have SEEN it done,over and over again.NO CONSCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!
Pot calling kettle black

Hudsonville, MI

#28 Jan 2, 2009
gonesilver wrote:
<quoted text>Drunk driving? We'll never really know. Why?
Because he left the scene of an accident. I believe any other citizen would have been arrested on that charge alone. As for using the city car off duty, that may or may not be a perk or a requirement of his office.I find it hard to understand how some,(by no means all),police officers can arrest someone for doing something today,that they themselves had just done the night before.I know this is true because I have SEEN it done,over and over again.NO CONSCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!
He was in the ditch/stuck in the snow on the shoulder. He gets pulled out of the snow. During the process, he makes minor impact with the assisting car.

They exchange information, and mutually agree to go their separate ways.

If he was truly drunk, I cannot see the person who was assisting not insisting on the cops being called at that time.

Do you have any idea how many times in a year that cars involved in accidents that are minor DO NOT call the cops for a report? It happens way more often then you think. In fact, more often then drivers who do call the cops.

By legal definition, you slide off into the median is an accident. People make money with 4x4s going around and pulling people out all winter long because there are more people stuck then tow trucks to get them out and they wait for hours.

So if the Chief was drunk and the person helping him could smell it, or see he was impared, I cannot see them accepting the exchange of infomration and going on their merry way.

You just have an issue with cops and think they are all a bunch of pricks out to screw the citizens while living above the law themselves. And that's not reality, just your warped view.
puzzled in GR

Grand Rapids, MI

#29 Jan 2, 2009
My point was "the law" was stiffer with charges with the college president (he got OWI but Green only recieved "impaired," even though the college pres. alcohol level was LESS). The press was nastier and covered daily for weeks, but not for the other two. The police department and the House of Representatives would have greater CAUSE to ask for resignations - it just seems people are not treated fairly.
Lets get it right here wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, I don't know all the details on Mr. Green's situation, I didn't follow it too closely. But I wonder, was he arrested while the legislature was officially in session? If he was, he has what equates to "diplomatic immunity" and couldn't be charged. If the legislature wasn't in official session, then if was that intox that he threw up on himself, then he should have been suitable charged and let the courts/prosecutor and his lawyer hash that one out.
In the case of the SL/Ferrysburg Chief, first, he hasn't "gotten away with it as the report has been forwarded to the prosecutor for review. But second, again, there is a difference between violating village policy and state law.
And in the case of the Davenport University president...did the LAW make him resign or did the COLLEGE REGENTS (or whatever they are called at Davenport that are the governing body of the university) make him resign? Seems to me, I think it was the leadership of the university that made him step down...not the courts, cops or law.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#30 Jan 2, 2009
Pot calling kettle black wrote:
<quoted text>
He was in the ditch/stuck in the snow on the shoulder. He gets pulled out of the snow. During the process, he makes minor impact with the assisting car.
If he was truly drunk, I cannot see the person who was assisting not insisting on the cops being called at that time.
Do you have any idea how many times in a year that cars involved in accidents that are minor DO NOT call the cops for a report? It happens way more often then you think. In fact, more often then drivers who do call the cops.
By legal definition, you slide off into the median is an accident. People make money with 4x4s going around and pulling people out all winter long because there are more people stuck then tow trucks to get them out and they wait for hours.
So if the Chief was drunk and the person helping him could smell it, or see he was impared, I cannot see them accepting the exchange of infomration and going on their merry way.
You just have an issue with cops and think they are all a bunch of pricks out to screw the citizens while living above the law themselves. And that's not reality, just your warped view.
On the other hand why is the guy that pulled him out making an ins. claim at 3 a.m. He apparently called the cops at about that time and they went to the Chief's house. Strange story. Chief should have just paid for the guys damage out of his pocket.

United States

#31 Jan 2, 2009
gonesilver wrote:
<quoted text>Drunk driving? We'll never really know. Why?
He did not leave the scene. He stayed and exchaged info as required apparently. He did not report it to the police, a different crime. You only have to report it if there is a certain amount of damage, I can't remember the amount. If that happened in GR you would have gone in and reported it the next day, got your report # and that would have been the end of it.

United States

#32 Jan 2, 2009
Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
In court, they will have to throw out the PBT result as several hours went by and they can not assume what his BAC was at the time of the incident. He should get away with this wrist slap.
PBT is not admissable anyway. Other than possibly drinking before driving a government car, a policy, not a law, they have nothing on him.
gonesilver

Saint Joseph, MI

#33 Jan 2, 2009
Pot calling kettle black wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW!!!! An issue with cops? Bunch of pricks? You may want someone to read you my previos reponse, because I don't see those remarks anywhere.As far as being above the law,( your words not mine),I said that some,not all,think that they are,which makes a bad name for all, and that is not fair to the honest ones.So please, give me a break.
Post hole digger

Bay City, MI

#34 Jan 2, 2009
This board definitely seems a little more balanced than the board over at WZZM. I'd like to start off first by stating that although the chief may not have made the best decision by driving after having a drink, whether it was one or twelve, BUT why is it that he should be held to such a higher standard because he is a police chief. Sure he should know better, but so should the bank teller, the pharmacist, the waiter, or anyone else. The only difference is that the media negatively portrays this to get a rise out of the public. If they put this article up but it was about a server at TGIFridays, no one would care. The man has been reprimanded and punished, and it sounds as though he is working in the right direction. People make mistakes and shouldn't be forced to lose their jobs over this. I know I'm probably going to get crap for saying that a "mistake that could have killed someone" and this that and the next thing, and I have lost a parent where alcohol was and have another in treatment. So people can preach all that they want, but I have been through the ringer back and forth growing up in a family of alcoholism and yet I do believe that the chief has had punishment enough.
Joel

Grand Haven, MI

#35 Jan 2, 2009
Firt off a PBT is not a CHEMICAL TEST. IT is a tool cops use on the road during an OWI investigation. A CHEMICAL TEST is on a certified datamaster or a blood test at the hospital. Neither one of these was requested or taken. As far as leaving the scene of an accident, if info is exchanged and there is less than $1'000 dollars of damage and no one is hurt or other property is not damaged it is not required to call the cops for a report.

OWI and Impaired driving are both 93 day misdemeanors. The only diff is OWI is .08 or greater and Impaired is either a .06 or .07. He screwed up no doubt but he is now living with the consequences and admitted he has a problem and seeking treatment.

As for being Police Chief of Spring Lake not being an accomplishment, one of the requirements is to have a Masters Degree. How many people posting on here have a Masters. Based on the posts not many.
Joel

Grand Haven, MI

#36 Jan 2, 2009
And bye the way he was not arrested or charged with any crime. The report was submitted for review only.
Olivia

United States

#37 Jan 2, 2009
GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
On the other hand why is the guy that pulled him out making an ins. claim at 3 a.m. He apparently called the cops at about that time and they went to the Chief's house. Strange story. Chief should have just paid for the guys damage out of his pocket.
This whole situation is obviously Bush's fault, and it will all be resolved to everyone's satisfaction when Obama gets sworn in.
Pot calling kettle black

Hudsonville, MI

#38 Jan 2, 2009
GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but a lot of insurance companies have 24 hour service. That's one of the selling points for Allstate and Geico.

Personally, I would have waited to call or not called at all depending on the amount of damage. But some people are more "johnny on the spot" then I am. Who's to say.
WOW

Grand Haven, MI

#39 Jan 2, 2009
If this was anyone else, they would be in jail. I am pissed off at spring lake officer and law. The guy left the scene of an accident and was drinking. Come on!! I am not saying he should be fired, and people make mistakes, but he should be put into jailed and fined and go to court. Bottom line. If I hit someone, I will leave the scene and drink when I get home. Come on, who are the cops protecting. There own!! Power of the badge!!
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

Barnesville, OH

#40 Jan 3, 2009
GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
PBT is not admissable anyway. Other than possibly drinking before driving a government car, a policy, not a law, they have nothing on him.
You are right about that. They can not establish his condition at the time.
Info

Jenison, MI

#41 Jan 3, 2009
donkeyjim wrote:
Drinking on the job, TOTALLY unforgiven, FIRE HIM>>>>>>
It wasn't on the job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Effort to fund Ottawa County bike lane successful Jul 26 District 1 14
News Top 5 things to do this weekend Jul 23 District 1 1
News Western Michigan woman sends 17,000 valentines ... (Feb '06) Jul 15 Da Doo Ron Ron 5
News Holland Goes 20 Days Without Rain (Jul '12) Jul 13 bonds77 16
State Park Jul 4 dlb10 1
News Homicide in Muskegon Heights (Jan '09) Jun '15 Go Blue Forever 55
Debate: Gay Marriage - Grand Haven, MI (Jan '12) Jun '15 Go Blue Forever 20
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spring Lake Mortgages