Kanye

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2012

Why is Grand Haven still like a 1950s segregated town?
Why do police still harass black people for just driving through your town? Why is there no black people in Grand Haven? When black people try and purchase homes in your town they are turned down. Is there a conspiracy to keep Grand Haven completely white. Is it a beacon for whitey?
PatriotTeaParty

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2012

Probably because we don't want our lovely community to turn into Muskegon.
And yes, we are a Beacon for good hard working God fearing White folks. We don't want the gangbanger drug addicts moving to our town with there watermelons and welfare food cards. We only accept real American currency here, not your Obama monopoly money. Please stay away. Thank you.
Jimmy Olson

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2012

GRAND HAVEN TOWNSHIP, MI -- An Ottawa County diversity group is claiming that a Grand Haven area man's political statement -- a lawn chair hanging from a tree -- is racially insensitive and should be taken down.

Leaders of the Lakeshore Ethnic Diversity Alliance have scheduled a "community conversation" public meeting next Thursday at the Grand Haven Community Center to discuss the issue.

The lawn chair is suspended by a rope from a tree along Comstock Street near Peach Plain Elementary School and, according to the homeowner, is simply a take-off on Clint Eastwood's much-ballyhooed "empty chair rant" speech at the Republican National Convention where Eastwood was pretending to talk to President Barack Obama.
Jimmy Olson

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2012

Like many Tri-Cities residents, I was disturbed to read about not one, but two acts of racism in our community recently.
In one, the Asian-American proprietor of Chan’s Restaurant in Spring Lake was harassed with racist comments on the phone as well as in person at the restaurant. At about the same time, a black worker in an apartment complex in Grand Haven returned to the area where he was working to see a racist comment scrawled on the wall.

Some might like to think that these were isolated incidents. It is tempting to hope that such overt acts of hatred are indeed uncommon, and that as a community we are by and large much better than that. With the election of our first black president a few years ago, many proclaimed that we are a “post-racist” society. But that ignores some ugly truths.
For one, such incidents obviously do still occur in communities like ours all across the country. Such actions reflect deeply held attitudes.
What happened in Grand Haven and Spring Lake recently may be isolated incidents, but it is scary to think of how many others hold attitudes like these that are simply not expressed as publicly.
Then, there is a more subtle form of racism that exists in our society. This happens when even well-meaning people say and do things that nonetheless are hurtful to people of a different skin color or national background.
We’re making progress, but we are not yet a post-racist society.
Coincidentally, I learned a lot about this concept just recently, right after these incidents happened in my own community here. I attended an institute on equity and inclusion in higher education at the University of Colorado in Colorado Springs. I spent three intensive days with about 30 people discussing these issues. While much was discussed, there are two key concepts I think are relevant to share with Tri-Cities residents.
One is the concept of privilege. Everyone has varying degrees of privilege in our society, as well as lack of it in some areas. After discussing lots of academic concepts related to this, we did a simple exercise that drove home the point. There were bowls of paperclips next to papers with a series of questions about the degree to which we felt free or privileged in the routines of daily life —everything from job applications to walking down the street. If you felt free, you took a paperclip for each item.
At the end, my chain of paperclips was quite long. It was striking to see how much longer than some others.
Another concept I learned is that of “micro aggressions.” This is the concept in which a person says or does something with the best of intentions, but it nevertheless is an insult to a person of color. An example given was when Joe Biden said of Barack Obama that he was “clean, good-looking and articulate.” He no doubt meant it as a compliment, but it implied that it is unusual for a black man in America to be clean and articulate. Tricky stuff, but important to think about.
So, recent incidents may have drawn our attention to the idea of racism in the Tri-Cities. Certainly most of us are outraged at obvious acts of bias and hatred. But we can all work to examine ourselves to be more than diverse in the sense of accepting the presence of people from all different backgrounds. We need to be conscious and intentional about making all people feel included as a part of our community as well.
I hold out hope that our society, and this community in particular, will continue to move beyond prejudice —which is a way of pre-judging others before we truly know them. Rather, we should be most concerned with how we ourselves are judged.
We will all be judged, as Martin Luther King Jr. said, by “the content of our character.” We will also be judged by how well we keep God’s commandments, one of the greatest of which is to “love our neighbors as ourselves.”
Kanye

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2012

Jimmy Olson wrote:
Like many Tri-Cities residents, I was disturbed to read about not one, but two acts of racism in our community recently.
In one, the Asian-American proprietor of Chan’s Restaurant in Spring Lake was harassed with racist comments on the phone as well as in person at the restaurant. At about the same time, a black worker in an apartment complex in Grand Haven returned to the area where he was working to see a racist comment scrawled on the wall.
Some might like to think that these were isolated incidents. It is tempting to hope that such overt acts of hatred are indeed uncommon, and that as a community we are by and large much better than that. With the election of our first black president a few years ago, many proclaimed that we are a “post-racist” society. But that ignores some ugly truths.
For one, such incidents obviously do still occur in communities like ours all across the country. Such actions reflect deeply held attitudes.
What happened in Grand Haven and Spring Lake recently may be isolated incidents, but it is scary to think of how many others hold attitudes like these that are simply not expressed as publicly.
Then, there is a more subtle form of racism that exists in our society. This happens when even well-meaning people say and do things that nonetheless are hurtful to people of a different skin color or national background.
We’re making progress, but we are not yet a post-racist society.
Coincidentally, I learned a lot about this concept just recently, right after these incidents happened in my own community here. I attended an institute on equity and inclusion in higher education at the University of Colorado in Colorado Springs. I spent three intensive days with about 30 people discussing these issues. While much was discussed, there are two key concepts I think are relevant to share with Tri-Cities residents.
One is the concept of privilege. Everyone has varying degrees of privilege in our society, as well as lack of it in some areas. After discussing lots of academic concepts related to this, we did a simple exercise that drove home the point. There were bowls of paperclips next to papers with a series of questions about the degree to which we felt free or privileged in the routines of daily life —everything from job applications to walking down the street. If you felt free, you took a paperclip for each item.
At the end, my chain of paperclips was quite long. It was striking to see how much longer than some others.
Another concept I learned is that of “micro aggressions.” This is the concept in which a person says or does something with the best of intentions, but it nevertheless is an insult to a person of color. An example given was when Joe Biden said of Barack Obama that he was “clean, good-looking and articulate.” He no doubt meant it as a compliment, but it implied that it is unusual for a black man in America to be clean and articulate. Tricky stuff, but important to think about.
So, recent incidents may have drawn our attention to the idea of racism in the Tri-Cities. Certainly most of us are outraged at obvious acts of bias and hatred. But we can all work to examine ourselves to be more than diverse in the sense of accepting the presence of people from all different backgrounds. We need to be conscious and intentional about making all people feel included as a part of our community as well.
I hold out hope that our society, and this community in particular, will continue to move beyond prejudice —which is a way of pre-judging others before we truly know them. Rather, we should be most concerned with how we ourselves are judged.
We will all be judged, as Martin Luther King Jr. said, by “the content of our character.” We will also be judged by how well we keep God’s commandments, one of the greatest of which is to “love our neighbors as ourselves.”
Amen.
WELL SAID.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

....What is wonderful about the United States, is that everyone has the right and freedom to like or not like, whomever they desire.....see there...political and social correctness work's for everyone.....
black and proud

Elizabeth, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2013

Grand Haven is a stomping ground for the Michigan chapter of the KKK.
I hope Obama sends in the national guard to help combat the racist terrorists that live in Grand Haven.
Jaded Jester

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Probably means far less crime...........

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah...do you think?...lol.....
Cornelius Evazan

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Attention blacks:

Grand Haven doesn't like you. I don't like you either. You just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems.
Get Real

Wyoming, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Okay people, super simple. If you dress like trouble, walk like trouble, talk like trouble, and look like trouble you are going to be treated like trouble. White Black Hispanic Asian no matter the race.
No U Get Real

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Get Real wrote:
Okay people, super simple. If you dress like trouble, walk like trouble, talk like trouble, and look like trouble you are going to be treated like trouble. White Black Hispanic Asian no matter the race.
There is no such thing as dressing or walking like trouble you idiot.
You make no sense, you big dummy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

One great feature to the country we love....is the freedom, to live with and around the people, you chose.....
Ronald Reggin

Alsip, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Today a Black tried to give me a chicken sandwich. It had mayonnaise on it so I slapped it out of his black charcoal hands and said, "get this shit out of may face you COON". He then picked it up off the ground and ran back to the jungle to feed his crack monkeys.
Hilda Gulch

Elizabeth, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Ronald Reggin wrote:
Today a Black tried to give me a chicken sandwich. It had mayonnaise on it so I slapped it out of his black charcoal hands and said, "get this shit out of may face you COON". He then picked it up off the ground and ran back to the jungle to feed his crack monkeys.
Hey man, we appreciate your support, but us Grand Haven residents don't hate negroes, we just believe the natural order of things is to keep our neughborhood white. The negroes are happy in there neighborhoods. Why change things sonny?
IGNORANCE

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

GRAND HAVEN IS NOT AlL BeAUTIFUL WITH WHITeS...SEX OFFENDER HEAVEN SO INSTEAD OF FEARING BLACKS>>>BLACKS FEAR YOUR CHILDREN IN GRAND HAVEN!THE MEN DO STALK WOMEN(BIRACIAL) AS WELL IVE READ A REPORT ON IT!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Neighborhood watch guys are better neighbors than teen thugs......
Angry Black Guy

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Neighborhood watch guys are better neighbors than teen thugs......
Grand Haven should change its name to Pedophile Haven.
Nothing but queers and steers in G.H........
Muskegons much safer.
Let the whiteys in G.H rape there children if thats there cup of tea.
Doesnt effect my life at all.
I have no desire to come to your boring lame town anyway.
LoL
You can keep it.
Johnny Face Puncher

Chicago Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2013

I onced punched a black man in the face. One hit was all it took for his head to explode into millions of pieces of watermellon jolly ranchers.

The End.
The Pale Coasters

South Holland, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Get Real wrote:
Okay people, super simple. If you dress like trouble, walk like trouble, talk like trouble, and look like trouble you are going to be treated like trouble.
I agree, we can't have these black trouble talking Travons walking around our wholesome ivory citadel.

Just as our beloved hero King George Zimmerman The Great did, it's time to take out the gangsters with our gats.......YAKETY YAK, don't talk black.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Spring Lake Discussions

Search the Spring Lake Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Wed gottondas 5,482
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun 25 lulubell 302
Heroin and Marijuana Jun '14 Tony Rowe 1
Holland Museum opens exhibit of Nazi propaganda... Jun '14 Johan Schmidt 20
wind storm blows away pronto pup stand Jun '14 John Depth 3
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) May '14 Ned Tugent 114
•••
•••
•••
•••

Spring Lake Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Spring Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••