BAD Dental Practice
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mindy

Spring Hill, TN

#1 Jan 13, 2012
Just wanted to send out a warning to anyone searching for a dentist. My entire family visits Tanyard Springs Family Dentistry. My husband had a cavity filled a few months ago. Today as he was eating pizza his filling fell out. I, nor anyone I know, has ever had a filling come out at all let alone after a few months. At this moment he is experiencing pain. It hurts him to even drink water. I called the office at 4:45pm (granted I know it is a Friday) and explained to the receptionist the situation. She said unfortunately the doctor is out of the office until Monday. I asked "Soooo is he just not supposed to eat anything all weekend?" To this she says that is not what I said, he can go to the local ED for pain meds. Well lady I am not sure how much you make but I prefer to keep the $250 I would have to pay for a deductible to visit the ED. My husband also works all weekend and cannot work or drive on pain meds. She said she would try to page him but he may not get the messages until Monday. I, nor my family will EVER be back to see that office. I have a crown that he was supposed to do. I guess I should just be greatful that I found out now before I shelled out the $550. BTW I don't care about your great experiences with the office. I am just trying to warn anyone out there so they do not experience this same treatment. Have a nice day!
dan

Morristown, TN

#2 Jan 13, 2012
Mindy wrote:
Just wanted to send out a warning to anyone searching for a dentist. My entire family visits Tanyard Springs Family Dentistry. My husband had a cavity filled a few months ago. Today as he was eating pizza his filling fell out. I, nor anyone I know, has ever had a filling come out at all let alone after a few months. At this moment he is experiencing pain. It hurts him to even drink water. I called the office at 4:45pm (granted I know it is a Friday) and explained to the receptionist the situation. She said unfortunately the doctor is out of the office until Monday. I asked "Soooo is he just not supposed to eat anything all weekend?" To this she says that is not what I said, he can go to the local ED for pain meds. Well lady I am not sure how much you make but I prefer to keep the $250 I would have to pay for a deductible to visit the ED. My husband also works all weekend and cannot work or drive on pain meds. She said she would try to page him but he may not get the messages until Monday. I, nor my family will EVER be back to see that office. I have a crown that he was supposed to do. I guess I should just be greatful that I found out now before I shelled out the $550. BTW I don't care about your great experiences with the office. I am just trying to warn anyone out there so they do not experience this same treatment. Have a nice day!
soo is it dentist OR the receptionist you are po at??? anf why wait until just before closing time on a Friday to call.
Liz

Brentwood, TN

#3 Jan 13, 2012
Considering the circumstances, what should they have done to make you happy? The only recommendation I might give you is you probably should find an owner/dentist and not go to a corporate office like Tanyard Springs where the dentist clocks in, clocks out like a shift-worker at GM. You probably should also find one that works Fridays (not many do)
SpringHillian

Spring Hill, TN

#4 Jan 13, 2012
Sheet happens.. Deal with it
RpH

Nashville, TN

#5 Jan 14, 2012
In the future, drug stores sell temporary fillers that will get you by for 2-3 days until you get to a dentist- less than $10. Not sure why they didn't tell you that on the phone?
ProbablyNot

Newberg, OR

#6 Jan 14, 2012
More than likely, your husband's filling didn't fall out. Probably what fell out was a bit of "flashing"--filling material that extends beyond the actually filling and helps to seal the actual filling in place. It's an extremely common occurrence. When flashing falls out early, as it tends to do sometimes, there can be some pain but nothing that is going to require pain meds. In fact, unless the filling was really deep and should have been a root canal and exposed the nerve of the tooth, the pain shouldn't be that bad at all.

Sounds to me like your husband needs to brush more and that you're simply seeking pain meds. A lot of junkies do that.
Unnecessary

Nashville, TN

#7 Jan 14, 2012
ProbablyNot wrote:
More than likely, your husband's filling didn't fall out. Probably what fell out was a bit of "flashing"--filling material that extends beyond the actually filling and helps to seal the actual filling in place. It's an extremely common occurrence. When flashing falls out early, as it tends to do sometimes, there can be some pain but nothing that is going to require pain meds. In fact, unless the filling was really deep and should have been a root canal and exposed the nerve of the tooth, the pain shouldn't be that bad at all.
Sounds to me like your husband needs to brush more and that you're simply seeking pain meds. A lot of junkies do that.
Sounds to me like you're the corporate skank dentist who takes Fridays off and doesn't respond when a patient needs help. You should have been a Spring Hill cop..or maybe you are.
ProbablyNot

Portland, OR

#8 Jan 14, 2012
Unnecessary wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds to me like you're the corporate skank dentist who takes Fridays off and doesn't respond when a patient needs help. You should have been a Spring Hill cop..or maybe you are.
I'm not a dentist, I simply am able to pay for reasonable healthcare and have a dentist who talks to me. That's something that comes with having a job that can pay for healthcare. Obviously, you don't have that.

Remember that time that you were opposed to national healthcare, but you also complained about private healthcare? Oh, Republicans. Now what?
Preston

Brentwood, TN

#9 Jan 15, 2012
Tanyard Springs is a good dental office. My wife and I have been going there for two years and Dr. Miller is a good guy. The receptionist's advice was on point.
Unnecessary

Spring Hill, TN

#10 Jan 15, 2012
ProbablyNot wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a dentist, I simply am able to pay for reasonable healthcare and have a dentist who talks to me. That's something that comes with having a job that can pay for healthcare. Obviously, you don't have that.
Remember that time that you were opposed to national healthcare, but you also complained about private healthcare? Oh, Republicans. Now what?
I am not the person who had the bad experience. I am not a Republican, I support a single payer system (yes- like those sick,poor, crippled stupid Canadians) This had nothing to do with whether or not someone has insurance or a job or cash in their pocket. They paid for a service and had a complication. And you are self-righteous prick for making about ability to pay. You will soon find that in the 2012 real healthcare world, you are no more likely to get good care than anyone else just because you have a job, insurance and monry in the bank- so be careful about judging others.
My point was and is that, as a dcotor's office, you don't tell a patient to go to an emergency room on a Firday afternoon just because your doctor won't take phone calls and didn't arrange to have another Dentist handle real emergencies- or to have a staff member with enough clinical experience to provide reasonable alternatives . Sending someone with tooth pain to an ER for pain medicine is absurd for many reasons, not the least of which is that there are people sitting in the waiting room with pneumonias, VRE infections and other things that are very contagious.
This family has a legitimate complaint, This Dentist needs to look at his practice and meet his whole resposibility as a Doctor- not just his retail one.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#11 Jan 15, 2012
ProbablyNot wrote:
Sounds to me like your husband needs to brush more and that you're simply seeking pain meds. A lot of junkies do that.
ProbablyNot, it sounds like you need to get laid..

No matter how you view this, in the context of the post where someone previously asked about a recommendation for a dentist this is a great question to ask the dentist when you are making a final decision. It would be good to know how they deal with after hours issues and who is in the office and their experience level when the dentist isn't there.
Mr Obvious

Brentwood, TN

#12 Jan 15, 2012
Last I checked, Emergency rooms were for 24/7 medical emergencies. A dentist office is not an ER.
Stop whining, all of you...
oldnurse

Fairview, TN

#13 Jan 15, 2012
Mr Obvious wrote:
Last I checked, Emergency rooms were for 24/7 medical emergencies. A dentist office is not an ER.
Stop whining, all of you...
Obviously you don't work in an ER. A malplaced filling isn't a medical emergency. Someone else already had the answer- it's called Dentemp and you can buy it any pharmacy. This dentist's staff could have some on hand and staff should be able to explain to clients how to apply it. Moreover he should have a plan for when his "best work" doesn't work- and he is away. His staff should have given this client better advice than "go to an ER." Contrary to your opinion, people who show up in an ER for something like this make real emergencies and real sick people wait..
That's not whining. I think most people would instead call it accountability.
Mr Obvious

Brentwood, TN

#14 Jan 15, 2012
If the gentleman was in enough pain that he could not wait until Monday, then the ER is the place he needs to go. The dentist is not an ER. Either wait until Monday or go to the ER. That is up to him for accountability. He should make the call on how bad his pain is.

I would agree the receptionist could have been trained to tell the patient he could try the Dentemp but the receptionist is not a doctor and really has no place diagnosing over the phone or recommending treatment options. She could have told him to try it but if pain persisted head straight to the ER if he could not wait until Monday.
Mr Obvious

Brentwood, TN

#15 Jan 15, 2012
Oh and a dentist's plan for when he is away is to utilize the emergency room that all our tax dollars support anyway. If it is bad enough for someone to go to the ER, it's obviously worse than most of the ER patients who are just there for a free ride.
oldnurse

Fairview, TN

#16 Jan 15, 2012
Mr Obvious wrote:
Oh and a dentist's plan for when he is away is to utilize the emergency room that all our tax dollars support anyway. If it is bad enough for someone to go to the ER, it's obviously worse than most of the ER patients who are just there for a free ride.
Like I said, you don't work in healthcare and what suggest is silly..

Since: May 11

Spring Hill, TN

#17 Jan 16, 2012
Going to the ER is just asking for long wait times (serious emergencies come first), a huge bill (think your dentist's bill is high?).
Then they will have to call in a Dental Dr. most likely a Dental surgeon. IF they have one on call.

If the dental pain/problem is due to an infection like sinus they (ER) may be able to help (but so would your Dr.). Or if the underlying problem is a 'non' dental/tooth one.

You should go to another Dentist and get what is called emergency Palliative care.
This is sometimes covered with your insurance.
You will have to call around to 'other' dentists emergency numbers to find one that is available.
Last yr I had to do this on a weekend and while on vacation 800 miles from home for a tooth abscess.
An antibiotic took care of the problem and pain till I got home 2 weeks later..
Palliative care will only do the bare minimum to relieve the pain or re-glue a cap, temp filling. Don't expect them to do a cleaning or root canal.

Going to the ER is not a good idea at all, it also takes away time for life threatening emergencies.
Springhillian

Spring Hill, TN

#18 Jan 16, 2012
why not go to a walk in clinic.. hell, there's everywhere these days..
oldnurse

Franklin, TN

#19 Jan 16, 2012
Springhillian wrote:
why not go to a walk in clinic.. hell, there's everywhere these days..
Urgent Dental Care, yes, regular Urgent Care, no. Medical Doctors and nurese have NO TRAINING to address dental issues. This person lost a filling. While an urgent care doctor could write a prescription for pain meds, that doesn't address the root (pun intended) cause. He needed a temporary filler. He could have purchased it at Walgreens for $8. The dentist's office SHOULD have told him that or referred him to another dentist or to a Urgent Care Dental Clinic. There are several in Nashville. Shoot- there is better coordination of care for sick dogs on the weekend than this dentist offered.
Springhillian

Spring Hill, TN

#20 Jan 16, 2012
well, an emergency room won't do fillings either.. why pay out the butt for an ER visit when you can pay Kroger much less?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How low can you get supporting Crooked Hillary 13 hr Real truth 1
Clinton family crooks 15 hr Real truth 5
Secrets 22 hr Tn guy 1
Corruption In Tennessee (Aug '14) Tue Bronnie 146
Amusing forum comments May 20 Return of some jerk 1
Deedra Llewelyn May 20 Grimy Phoxx 4
Courtney Clayborn???? Does anyone know her??? May 17 QUEEN 9

Spring Hill Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spring Hill Mortgages