Talent Agency Disappears After Taking...

Talent Agency Disappears After Taking Girl's Dream, Parent's Money

There are 17 comments on the NewsChannel5.com Nashville story from Jun 3, 2008, titled Talent Agency Disappears After Taking Girl's Dream, Parent's Money. In it, NewsChannel5.com Nashville reports that:

A Midstate family claims a talent agency scammed them out of $2,400 and a little girl's dream of stardom.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsChannel5.com Nashville.

Nashville

Charlotte, NC

#1 Jun 4, 2008
I don't see why they couldn't stop payment on the check. But if I were these parents I would be finding the person or person's responsible for this and getting my money back. But if this little girl wants to take acting classes she can go to Alan Dysert , or call Sharon Smith Talent Agency in Nashville., they are both legit.
Linda Roberts

College Grove, TN

#2 Jun 4, 2008
I was a Casting Director. Personal Manager and a Theatrical Agent when I first started in show business in 1980. These "schools" or "talent searches" are very expensive and they charge a lot of money to "teach" kids what they're supposed to learn about the business. They are mostly scams. If you're considering a school of some type, make sure you've done your research on it's history and who is teaching. If you would be interested in a Seminar called "Next Step Hollywood" -(what to do when you want to take that next step) be watching for a free class at the Williamson county Library in Franklin. You'll be amazed at what you'll learn.
gi-gi

AOL

#3 Jun 10, 2008
First of all parents need to realize that if you have to pay money they are a scam..You never have to pay an agent...The agency make money when you make money and then it is most of the time 15 to 20 percent of what you make..A good agency doesn't want you to spend alot of money parents that's why they tell you to use snapshots...Research these places and just because someone tell you your child is cute or should be an actress/model doesn't always mean that is what the agent is looking for...Believe me I know this..I have been doing it for a long time...These same companies do this to kids and parents and then after they make some money they change the name of the company...Call the Attorney General's Office...I was in Florida when I received an e-mail about this and it need to stop..But parents need to be SMARTER...
Sara

San Francisco, CA

#4 Jun 11, 2008
Yes, agency NEVER should take money from you, if they do it is a scam. But you need to recognize whether a company is an agency or a school/ academy. Please pay attention to detail: Pacific Modeling and Acting ACADEMY. When you go to a headhunter or a recruiting service you never pay them a fee, they take a percentage from the new employer. When you go to school, let say...one of the State Universities or even Harvard, you are paying and investing your hard earn money for the education and training. PMAA is no different from those school expect they specialize in acting and modeling. It is just very unforunate that they could not sustain their business.
Obed

Glenview, IL

#5 Jun 12, 2008
The same happened to my daughter who is 8 years old. She attended 3 classes and then we got the same email. They suggest that I get with other parents and file a lawsuit against the agency. I'm in this with you because I paid $2495 when they were here in Washington State.
stupidisasstupid does

Maryville, TN

#6 Jun 12, 2008
thats what happens when you want to profit off your kids.
fools..

Since: Mar 08

Smyrna TN

#7 Jun 17, 2008
I remember when AIM was active here. I was still in high school when they approached me telling me what they could do for me, and the work they could find for me. They offered to do my portfolio, and market me to their "contacts in the business" They poured on the compliments and the sales pitch, and finished with the price tag, which I could make back easily in one week with the jobs they can get me. I told them I will do it, just take the fees out of my pay checks. It was fun watching them squirm and back peddle.
Jordan

Hermitage, TN

#8 Jun 17, 2008
This is unfortunate and I do feel sorry for the little girl involved. As everyone has said here, and it's so true, someone wanting sums of money up front are most likely not legitimate and/or not stable.

Research is they key. I read the story and it indicated that that the mom did do research; however, I would be curious as to how much she did. I am sure in her mind, she probably did a lot; however, a lot more should have been in order.

Another good place to check is the BBB...I have gone there and discovered hundreds (sometimes thousands) of complaints against a company I may have been interested in doing business with.

Bottom line, be careful and don't make promises to your children about stardom...the few who are lucky enough to make it in show biz usually end up down in the dumps and head the wrong direction in life...
Jordan

Hermitage, TN

#9 Jun 17, 2008
stupidisasstupiddoes wrote:
fools..
This was a crude way to put this; however, I can't argue with it's logic and have to agree with the overall message...

I am also not necessarily saying that's what this mom was trying to do...but it's food for thought.

“Speaking of People”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#10 Jul 29, 2008
Nashville wrote:
I don't see why they couldn't stop payment on the check. But if I were these parents I would be finding the person or person's responsible for this and getting my money back. But if this little girl wants to take acting classes she can go to Alan Dysert , or call Sharon Smith Talent Agency in Nashville., they are both legit.
Talent Agencies are not supposed to recommend any kind of photography studio, dance classes or acting classes. Legally, they are only to provide a list of names so the client can choose one. Everyone on the list should be known by the Agent. A lot of kick-backs are given to Agents who recommend certain teachers.

“Speaking of People”

Location hidden

#11 Jul 29, 2008
gi-gi wrote:
First of all parents need to realize that if you have to pay money they are a scam..You never have to pay an agent...The agency make money when you make money and then it is most of the time 15 to 20 percent of what you make..A good agency doesn't want you to spend alot of money parents that's why they tell you to use snapshots...Research these places and just because someone tell you your child is cute or should be an actress/model doesn't always mean that is what the agent is looking for...Believe me I know this..I have been doing it for a long time...These same companies do this to kids and parents and then after they make some money they change the name of the company...Call the Attorney General's Office...I was in Florida when I received an e-mail about this and it need to stop..But parents need to be SMARTER...
Film and television agents are only allowed to charge 10% of the gross earnings, after a performance. Modeling agencies can charge more.

“Speaking of People”

Location hidden

#12 Jul 29, 2008
Film and television agents are only allowed to charge 10% of the gross earnings, after a performance. Modeling and print agencies can charge more.

“Speaking of People”

Location hidden

#13 Jul 29, 2008
stupidisasstupiddoes wrote:
fools..
"Profiting off your kids" - Sounds awful, however, if you feel your child has something other people could relate to, or be entertained by, then your "JOB" is to manage them, which takes a lot of time, effort and concentration, plus meeting new people every day. It's not just a sit-back and collect money. There's a lot of effort that goes into promoting a child, including acting lessons, plays, auditions and every day study.
Kris

Nashville, TN

#14 Jul 29, 2008
Not all parents who have their kids in modeling or acting are trying to profit off of them. Some kids truly have talent and this is what they want, so there is nothing wrong with a parent helping them to achieve that. Now, pushy parents and miserable kids......that's a different story. Yes, there is a lot of that, but it's wrong to classify all parents of kids who act or model as such.
blahdeedah

Pinola, MS

#15 Jul 29, 2008
2 words for ya.
Miley Cyrus

:)
i agree

Nashville, TN

#16 Sep 19, 2012
My daughter loves acting and modeling. She is not a professional but I as a photographer waited until she was old enough to express her desire. She is in Irish Step Dance and was in tears when her father cancelled her classes. I was paying for it not him. The fact sis she is a straight A student. Some kids are right brained and others are left brained. Football dancing acting singing all start out with the natural talent being recognized by a parent who doe snot want to force their child to be a doctor or lawyer. They recognize their natural ability and shape them. As for profiting, there are laws that protect children. A contract is in place to give the child their percentage usually in a trust and for the agency and the parent who manages the child. Whoever manages the talented child YOU MOM, will be a work horse and you will spend a lot of money training, driving flying even if they get a job on a soap opera. Situation Comedy (SITCOM) is usually Los Angeles. But thousands o9f dollars for allowing your child to follow their dream is worth every penny if they are a natural born artist type. There will be auditions just like sports players have try outs. Listen to your child.They may change their mind 2 or 3 times be open to this and prepared if they drop the ball completely, never force a child to do something they said they wanted to but then changed their mind. They are still finding themselves. Bottom line if HELP YOUR CHILD LIVE THEIR DREAM -whatever that dream may be.
Linda Roberts wrote:
<quoted text>
"Profiting off your kids" - Sounds awful, however, if you feel your child has something other people could relate to, or be entertained by, then your "JOB" is to manage them, which takes a lot of time, effort and concentration, plus meeting new people every day. It's not just a sit-back and collect money. There's a lot of effort that goes into promoting a child, including acting lessons, plays, auditions and every day study.
Seahappi

Newark, NJ

#17 Mar 9, 2016
I simply do not understand y ppl out there are so dupped into giving money to ANYONE and EVERYONE who comes along CLAIMING to be things they r not!!!! WHY would u not check into someone or a company asking for ANY money upfront??!!! IDIOTS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
realtors in maury county (Sep '11) 12 hr Wonder 7
Electric Cowboy Festival (Mar '10) Thu Rudy Childs 63
News Durham pursues summons for charge of criminal t... May 22 SpencerHallMom1A 1
Review: Auto Masters (Oct '08) May 21 elizabeth 83
Looking for an old friend May 21 An old friend 1
The Grand Reserve Apartments (Aug '15) May 21 Healthhazard 14
Store closing (Jul '12) May 20 mdajomac 155
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spring Hill Mortgages