Spring Hill teen killed in motorcycle...

Spring Hill teen killed in motorcycle accident

There are 114 comments on the St. Petersburg Times story from Jan 9, 2011, titled Spring Hill teen killed in motorcycle accident. In it, St. Petersburg Times reports that:

SPRING HILL Teen killed in motorcycle crash on Pinehurst Drive A 19-year-old died in a motorcycle accident early Saturday morning, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at St. Petersburg Times.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
When Will This Stop

AOL

#1 Jan 11, 2011
The article did not note that the poor teen was waiting in an ambulance on the side of the road for a minimum of 35 minutes waiting for a helicopter from Tampa and died in the ambulance from his injuries just before the helicopter was landing. Once CPR was started, the helicopter left and the poor teen was transported in the same ambulance that he was waiting in to Spring Hill Regional hospital in Spring Hill (the closest hospital just minutes away).

The poor teen should have been brought straight to the hospital immediately to be stabilized first and then flown out.

An ambulance is not designed for these type injuries as these patients require emergency room stabilization (in this case, he needed a chest tube and then surgery). It was about 50 minutes (10 minutes less than one hour) before he was en-route to the hospital by ground.

This is common in Hernando County. I do not know why some patients sit in the back of an ambulance instead of getting them to a local ER where they can be stabilized in many cases instead of pronouncing them dead on arrival after just sitting in the back of an ambulance for way too long.

This kid could have had a chance to recover.

Sometimes the helicopters are there for them and sometimes they are not. This is not moral and too often mortal.

My condolences to the Brown family of Spring Hill, FL.

When Will This Stop

AOL

#2 Jan 11, 2011
Correction:
In my statement, "This kid could have had a chance to recover", I should have stated, that depending on his injuries, that he may have had a chance to recover. I should have also stated that you can not tell the extent of the injuries without testing and/or surgery. Therefore, I can not tell if he may have had a chance or not and apologize for my mistake in the way that I wrote that statement (especially to his family and friends).
The extent of injury is very important as some people will pass away no matter what and even if there is a trauma surgical team right there at the accident scene.
However, I still must insist on patients being transported by ambulance in these traumatic instances to the nearest ER for stabilization or at least a good solid attempt to stabilize as opposed to waiting in the back of an ambulance for this amount of time.
My apologies again for the unintentional misleading statement.
WTS
The truth of the matter

Inverness, FL

#3 Jan 11, 2011
Where did the article mention a helicopter?

The article I read said he died at Spring Hill Hopsital.

Speeding around a residential neighborhood in the middle of the night. Smart.
When Will This Stop wrote:
The article did not note that the poor teen was waiting in an ambulance on the side of the road for a minimum of 35 minutes waiting for a helicopter from Tampa and died in the ambulance from his injuries just before the helicopter was landing. Once CPR was started, the helicopter left and the poor teen was transported in the same ambulance that he was waiting in to Spring Hill Regional hospital in Spring Hill (the closest hospital just minutes away).
The poor teen should have been brought straight to the hospital immediately to be stabilized first and then flown out.
An ambulance is not designed for these type injuries as these patients require emergency room stabilization (in this case, he needed a chest tube and then surgery). It was about 50 minutes (10 minutes less than one hour) before he was en-route to the hospital by ground.
This is common in Hernando County. I do not know why some patients sit in the back of an ambulance instead of getting them to a local ER where they can be stabilized in many cases instead of pronouncing them dead on arrival after just sitting in the back of an ambulance for way too long.
This kid could have had a chance to recover.
Sometimes the helicopters are there for them and sometimes they are not. This is not moral and too often mortal.
My condolences to the Brown family of Spring Hill, FL.
When Will This Stop

AOL

#4 Jan 11, 2011
The truth of the matter wrote:
Where did the article mention a helicopter?
The article I read said he died at Spring Hill Hopsital.
Speeding around a residential neighborhood in the middle of the night. Smart.
<quoted text>
It began; "The article did not note...."

Is Spring Hill Hospital different than Spring Hill Regional?

....and your last comment is uncalled for.

Innocent people and children have had similar unfortunate experiences over the years.

Take the point. Something must change to prevent future occurances of trauma patients being delayed proper medical care. There must be a policy somewhere that has to change (if not, one must be written)or these situations will continue.

If a helicopter is close, great.........if it's going to be a bit delayed, quit sitting on the side of the road and take them to the closest ER for stabilization. I believe each hospital has a landing pad........so what is going on?

That IS "the Truth of the Matter".

WTS
The truth of the matter

Inverness, FL

#5 Jan 11, 2011
I think Spring Hill Hospital and Spring Hill Regional are one in the same.

Spring Hill does not have a trauma center. Perhaps this young man's injuries required a trauma center. An e.r. probably would not have done him much good. Trees are not people friendly when they are struck at 30+ mph.

With the population growth in this county/area maybe it is time for a trauma center here.

I stand by my statement: speeding around a residential neighborhood on a motorcycle in the middle of the night is stupid.
Plain and simple. If he was following the laws put in place to protect people he wouldn't be dead.

I would really like to know how fast he was going.

Perhaps you should inquire with Spring Hill Fire/Rescue as to their procedures. Maybe they can shed some light on your concerns.
<quoted text>
It began; "The article did not note...."
Is Spring Hill Hospital different than Spring Hill Regional?
....and your last comment is uncalled for.
Innocent people and children have had similar unfortunate experiences over the years.
Take the point. Something must change to prevent future occurances of trauma patients being delayed proper medical care. There must be a policy somewhere that has to change (if not, one must be written)or these situations will continue.
If a helicopter is close, great.........if it's going to be a bit delayed, quit sitting on the side of the road and take them to the closest ER for stabilization. I believe each hospital has a landing pad........so what is going on?
That IS "the Truth of the Matter".
WTS
The truth of the matter

Inverness, FL

#6 Jan 11, 2011
Where did you get the information as to the wait time?
An ambulance is not designed for these type injuries as these patients require emergency room stabilization (in this case, he needed a chest tube and then surgery). It was about 50 minutes (10 minutes less than one hour) before he was en-route to the hospital by ground..
The truth of the matter

Inverness, FL

#7 Jan 12, 2011
I guess I shouldnt hold my breath waiting on this information.
Where did you get the information as to the wait time?
<quoted text>
Run262

Jackson, NJ

#8 Jan 12, 2011
Once there's a crisis all the geniuses and armchair generals emerge to say how smart they are and how they could do things better. EMS at the scene predicted the victim's injuries and a medical professional opted for a trauma hospital over a community hospital. There's a paramedic on FlightStar with superior training over EMT or AEMT-D. This training and their on-board equipment provides scene stabilization as well as a community ER. They're also in direct communication with physicians who direct treatment.

"When will this stop" will be flapping her fat-ignorant cheeks despite which alternative was taken. Go to Jenny Craig you beast. You wasn't there Miss Piggy and are guessing.
The truth of the matter

Inverness, FL

#9 Jan 12, 2011
I thought the "life flight" (that's what it is called here) was better equipped than a regular E.R. I guess "You had to be there" is a key to the decision made by the EMT on the scene.

Thanks for the good info.
Run262 wrote:
Once there's a crisis all the geniuses and armchair generals emerge to say how smart they are and how they could do things better. EMS at the scene predicted the victim's injuries and a medical professional opted for a trauma hospital over a community hospital. There's a paramedic on FlightStar with superior training over EMT or AEMT-D. This training and their on-board equipment provides scene stabilization as well as a community ER. They're also in direct communication with physicians who direct treatment.
"When will this stop" will be flapping her fat-ignorant cheeks despite which alternative was taken. Go to Jenny Craig you beast. You wasn't there Miss Piggy and are guessing.
Run262

Jackson, NJ

#10 Jan 12, 2011
Unless the complaints are verified by a qualified investigation, I believe the first responders should get the benefit of the doubt.

I ask the OP to notify the County's Health Department with her concerns. They will investigate the matter and render a proper decision. I suspect her complaints will be determined groundless and based on raw emotion, guessing, and innuendos.

In the meantime, she should shut her big trap. If I'm wrong-sue!
When Will This Stop

AOL

#11 Jan 12, 2011
I guess I shouldnt hold my breath waiting on this information.
<quoted text>
I am not at liberty.

I am in the know.
When Will This Stop

AOL

#12 Jan 12, 2011
Run262 wrote:
Unless the complaints are verified by a qualified investigation, I believe the first responders should get the benefit of the doubt.
I ask the OP to notify the County's Health Department with her concerns. They will investigate the matter and render a proper decision. I suspect her complaints will be determined groundless and based on raw emotion, guessing, and innuendos.
In the meantime, she should shut her big trap. If I'm wrong-sue!
You must be confusing me with someone else.

A chest tube for a pneumo goes up or down??? Would a mattress suture hold it?

Make sure you google it.

Lets see.......when I start a central line do I want to see clear fluid (Lactated Ringers) or blood?

A chest tube, properly placed, sure beats a 14 gauge needle every time along with larger colloids than lactated ringers.

This problem needs to be changed before someone else passes.

Again, helicopter close.......fine. Helicopter delayed, ER then fly.

There is an area in Florida where the major trauma survival rate is about 62%(that is 62 patients survive out of 100). We are lucky if we have 2-5%

Quit misinforming the community.

I've made my points.
When Will This Stop

AOL

#13 Jan 13, 2011
run262......FlightStar does not cover Spring Hill in "Hernando" County which IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS!!

So seeing how you don't know how things are done here, nor did you read and absorb what I wrote regarding this serious issue, it's obvious you know very little about Advanced Emergency Medicine. So what right do you have to say the things you did? None.

Let me repeat this....quit misinforming the community in Hernando County.
The truth of the matter

Inverness, FL

#14 Jan 13, 2011
Full of sh*t is what you are.
<quoted text>
I am not at liberty.
I am in the know.
The truth of the matter

Inverness, FL

#15 Jan 13, 2011
FlightStart, LifeFlight, same thing. Medical evac.

What problem do you suspect and please back up your info with facts or sources. Better yet. File a complaint with the appropriate agency.
run262......FlightStar does not cover Spring Hill in "Hernando" County which IS WHERE THE PROBLEM IS!!
So seeing how you don't know how things are done here, nor did you read and absorb what I wrote regarding this serious issue, it's obvious you know very little about Advanced Emergency Medicine. So what right do you have to say the things you did? None.
Let me repeat this....quit misinforming the community in Hernando County.
The truth of the matter

Inverness, FL

#16 Jan 13, 2011
You are telling us that only 2-5 people out of 100 survive an accident in Hernando County?

Prove it.

"There is an area in Florida where the major trauma survival rate is about 62%(that is 62 patients survive out of 100). We are lucky if we have 2-5%"
Listener

Inverness, FL

#17 Jan 13, 2011
sounds like some know, some pretend, some watch tv, others gab, some take a quess ------

the rest -'SHALL WE PRAY'
The truth of the matter

Inverness, FL

#18 Jan 13, 2011
Yep. And Paul and Co. is back.
Listener wrote:
sounds like some know, some pretend, some watch tv, others gab, some take a quess ------
When Will This Stop

AOL

#19 Jan 13, 2011
You are telling us that only 2-5 people out of 100 survive an accident in Hernando County?
Prove it.
"There is an area in Florida where the major trauma survival rate is about 62%(that is 62 patients survive out of 100). We are lucky if we have 2-5%"
Full of ..it? No.

Major trauma. Not every accident...there is a difference....your twisting words and don't have the higher education or experience.

Being a cop does not count.
When Will This Stop

AOL

#20 Jan 13, 2011
Listener wrote:
I love neutral posts.

I'll leave you people to state your opinions but please don't detract from what is a very serious and occasional problem in Hernando County.

Enjoy :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
police helicopter search (May '12) 1 hr LATE POSTER 31
Hmmm 5 hr gab 89
Beth V May 24 starshaft 5
Anyone from the South Bronx? 156 St Anns avenue? (Apr '09) May 23 one who 44
golf course May 20 Dick 9
something i need to say May 19 former Atlantic B... 24
Sex (May '09) May 18 lmao 8
More from around the web

Spring Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE