Officers who shot, killed Spring Grov...

Officers who shot, killed Spring Grove man return to work

There are 108 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Mar 17, 2011, titled Officers who shot, killed Spring Grove man return to work. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Two Southwestern Regional Police officers who fatally wounded a Spring Grove man in February after he pointed a gun at them returned to work earlier this month, according to law enforcement officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Oscar The Grouch

York, PA

#106 Mar 21, 2011
Consider This wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't say he worked in PA. He has nothing to do with "the case." Again making huge assumptions. About as transparent as a sheet of glass. Now you actually want to make threats. I'm so glad we have indivuduals who are so easily mislead by their emotions trying to engage in a debate. Truely inspiring. It's sad that people use a tragedy and turn it into an opportunity to judge, offend, pursecute those that can no longer speak for themselves. That was my only point in replying in the first place. Their is more to the man then the event in the paper. They are not misinformed ideas. Tell me what else do you know about the man? I don't feel the need to keep the circle conversation going. Tell me why a person in his 40's with no previous incidents who is legally owning firearms all the sudden pulls a gun on a cop? That's the question that people who knew him are left with.
Figured you'd be back peddling. Where exactly did I make a threat? You said your friend is a detective for the State Police, now why wouldn't you identify the state to remove any chance of a misunderstanding. And you must not be too close of friends to not know that State Police agencies don't use the rank of "detective" to describe their criminal investigators. I think it is equally tragic and disgusting that people use an event like this to persecute police officers based on what they think they know about police work or the details of what transpired. I don't care how well you know the man or what you think you know about the incident. You werent in the room and I'll safely assume you aren't the criminal investigator handling the case. I agree that it is an unfortunate situation for the family and they don't have an answer to that question. That fact alone does not mean that the police officers did something wrong. I have no idea why people commit suicide. I haven't said anything about the man. All I have said is that people like you who aren't cops and haven't been in those situations have no business commenting like they know what "standard" police procedures are. Just because you claim to have a friend who is a cop doesn't make you knowledgeable by proxy. Instead you encourage people not to trust the police and their ability to do their jobs with your ideas. The job is hard enough without untrained Monday morning quarterbacks professing their knowledge and adding to peoples contempt for authority. You are welcome to join any police force you choose and do better. We'll see what you do when someone points a gun at you. I hope if you are ever so misfortunate as to have to take a life, random people start telling you, you could have done something different. Have a nice day. Hero.
ALSO Consider This

York, PA

#107 Mar 21, 2011
Oscar The Grouch wrote:
<quoted text>
Figured you'd be back peddling. Where exactly did I make a threat? You said your friend is a detective for the State Police, now why wouldn't you identify the state to remove any chance of a misunderstanding. And you must not be too close of friends to not know that State Police agencies don't use the rank of "detective" to describe their criminal investigators. I think it is equally tragic and disgusting that people use an event like this to persecute police officers based on what they think they know about police work or the details of what transpired. I don't care how well you know the man or what you think you know about the incident. You werent in the room and I'll safely assume you aren't the criminal investigator handling the case. I agree that it is an unfortunate situation for the family and they don't have an answer to that question. That fact alone does not mean that the police officers did something wrong. I have no idea why people commit suicide. I haven't said anything about the man. All I have said is that people like you who aren't cops and haven't been in those situations have no business commenting like they know what "standard" police procedures are. Just because you claim to have a friend who is a cop doesn't make you knowledgeable by proxy. Instead you encourage people not to trust the police and their ability to do their jobs with your ideas. The job is hard enough without untrained Monday morning quarterbacks professing their knowledge and adding to peoples contempt for authority. You are welcome to join any police force you choose and do better. We'll see what you do when someone points a gun at you. I hope if you are ever so misfortunate as to have to take a life, random people start telling you, you could have done something different. Have a nice day. Hero.
Oscar, forget it, why let this idiot get you all excited. I just signed off from "IT's" idiotic stupidity! He/she has taken over the position of spokesperson for the family. What a stupid a##! Their moment in the Sun; where were they when all of this was takin' place.
rm86e

New Freedom, PA

#108 Mar 21, 2011
First off, the world of law enforcement and its rules and ways are far beyond the mental reach of anyone who puts ignorant comments about "pigs" and how they think they would have handled a situation without ever being there. There are rules in place for a reason. Yes, maybe a "special" team should have been called in, but they weren't. These officers who have training, and I seriously doubt, just go to work everyday saying "I can't wait to harm people in my community", wanted this situation to happen the way it did. If these officers wouldn't have entered the property and the gentleman harmed himself, the other story would be about how the police did nothing to help. Now, I don't know about everyone else, but ever since I was a little kid I knew that pointing any kind of weapon at a police officer was something that you just don't do, but apparently some people forget this. Also, if there has been something bad happening in your life and you're drunk, you still don't point a firearm or weapon at a police officer. People who always talk bad about police officers and the actions they take in situations that are some of the worst situations witnessed by human beings are also always the ones calling for help when something happens to them. In my opinion, if you don't know what you're talking about, then don't talk about it. The outcome of this situation was very unfortunate, but when certain actions are taken, there is going to be an outcome.
Just A Thought

Hanover, PA

#109 Mar 21, 2011
Is it time for ordinary citizens to wear protective vest?
Bizzy

York, PA

#110 Mar 21, 2011
Bottom line is this... If you point a gun at another person you should know that you could be shot by who ever is in front of it, uniform or not.
Even very severe menatlly ill, handicap persons, and small children know that a gun is capable of hurting some one, and that Police are the the good guys. I am not a police officer and I own a gun, I have never pointed it at anything I did not intend to shoot period.
Just A Thought

Hanover, PA

#111 Mar 21, 2011
Bizzy wrote:
Bottom line is this... If you point a gun at another person you should know that you could be shot by who ever is in front of it, uniform or not.
Even very severe menatlly ill, handicap persons, and small children know that a gun is capable of hurting some one, and that Police are the the good guys. I am not a police officer and I own a gun, I have never pointed it at anything I did not intend to shoot period.
And what if both officers were shot and killed. Would this guy be not charged because it was self defense and he acted according to the book of God?
Fair Winds

York, PA

#112 Mar 21, 2011
Just A Thought wrote:
<quoted text>And what if both officers were shot and killed. Would this guy be not charged because it was self defense and he acted according to the book of God?
Now, now, knock that off, or your liberty card will be held forthwith!
Just A Thought

Hanover, PA

#113 Mar 21, 2011
Fair Winds wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now, knock that off, or your liberty card will be held forthwith!
Oh heck...I was looking for a response but expected something harsh with name calling.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hanover BBQ joint set to open second location Jul '17 Jeff ward 2
News York victims of sexual assault struggle for peace (Apr '13) Mar '17 Struggleright 3
News Hanover man apologizes after fighting cop (Dec '16) Dec '16 Fitus T Bluster 1
News Dodging Delaware's tolls? Don't forget the road... (Nov '07) Dec '16 lollipop 14
News Lancaster County megachurch expands into York C... (Jul '10) Nov '16 Jeff 28
Is Testerone XL good for building muscle? (Oct '16) Oct '16 Nerie 1
News Seven Valleys teen admits to arson (Sep '08) Apr '16 adam wilt 1 40

Spring Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spring Grove Mortgages