Spring Grove father calls for law to stop Westboro picketing

Full story: York Dispatch

While speaking at the American Legion Washington Conference, Albert Snyder told attendees to call upon legislators to legally restrict Westboro Baptist Church from protesting at funerals.
Comments
41 - 51 of 51 Comments Last updated Mar 24, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
former teacher

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43
Mar 24, 2011
 
real FACTS wrote:
<quoted text>
First off as a former teacher of all people youy should understand the SCOTUS ruling about free speech and the right I have to exercise that anyway I want when addressing someone of the manner of 'Pete'. So you can park the school marm fascade at the door.
Second, I never asked for an excuse. My family has made the ultimate sacrafice just as did Mr. Snyders for our country. I grew up without my father, fortunatly I had a wonderful stepfather who raised me.
Third, my family, especially my mother has long been involved in the VFW and honoring the men and women who have fought in wars. Unlike many of the so called patriots on this site who spewed hatred at the men returning from Vietnam, just as bad as the Westboro kooks. Many of them teachers who sought deferments bnecause they were in college. So you think this Westboro nut crowd has the monopoly on harte for service men? My mother has told me about the horrible thimngs that were done and said in this country at the time of the Vietnam War. So yeah I have a real connectuion to what it is like, but I also understand what freedom means because of it.
Fourth,I honored my mother's wish not to join the service because she did not want to lose someone else close to her. She still cries when she sees a son or daughter killed in action.
Fifth, as to volunteering I am involved in my community of York on many levels, so please don't make an assumption yiou know nothing about. You know what they say about assuming, it makes you and Pete look like a@@es!
PS I'm exercising my freedom of speech in that last comment so save the reply post for someone who cares.
First of all, you obviously CARE since you took the time for your rather weak response. Secondly, kudos to mom and dad, but I would love to hear what "volunteering" you supposedly do. Thirdly, as a former teacher I taught my students to respond diplomatically and articulate themselves with solid facts, arguments, and viewpoints so they don't have to resort to name-calling the way young children need to. Lastly, it is unfortunate that people abuse their hard fought freedom of speech to talk like a spoiled teenager. I am sure your parents would be so proud!
former teacher

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45
Mar 24, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

wait a minute wrote:
former teacher wrote:
wait a minute wrote:
Mr Snyder should shut his money grubbing mouth and bide his time until he can protest at one of the Westboro church member's funeral.
It is sickening that both he and his lawyer, opportunistically running for judge, wanted to obliterate part of the freedome of speech that is what makes this country great and for which hundreds of thousands of veterans died to preserve.
He and his lawyer make me sick.
Who would want a judge that would so easily flush part of our great freedoms down the toilet, and for what, oh that's right, grubbing for money. Snyder's son must be rolling in his grave over the disgrace his father has made of the son's sacrifice to protect the bill of rights.
Trebilcock would knock him self out to protect the rights of would be illegal aliens like the golden venture folks, but he would gladly take MONEY to erase the first amendment. What an unamerican piece o crap.
"You are sick. Please get some help before you hurt someone."
With an attitude that the constitution means so little, it is probably good that you are a FORMER teacher.(Or is it that you had to quit for molestation or kiddie porn?) If you retired from teaching, it explains why kids graduating have so little knowledge of ethics and history. like most teachers I suppose it was about the money and retirement. Which brings to mind that you do have a great deal in common with Mr. Snyder, concern for the money and retirement.
Why don't you give him some of yours and let the rest of us have the first amendment continue intact as it should be.
Any man who feels the need to make a point about freedom of speech using that kind of language needs some help. I was not referring to his viewpoint, I was referring to the way he chose to articulate it. The name calling is just ridiculous. Sounds like the rant of someone who needs a little help. find it interesting you felt the need to do the same - attack me and name call. Really? You can't do better than that? Sad.
Tammy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#46
Mar 24, 2011
 

Judged:

1

dr ses, They did not hold signs and post things on the internet defaming the family. your post does not say anthing about them attacking private families,It is you and the maternal side who showed no class by going against their daughters who want the wrong done right against their brother. They supported their father through out this case to the dismay of the mother and the grandparents, I saw them speak in many interviews, its find that the mother support free speech, they are just upset with Mr. Snyder and the only person they are hurting is the daughters, they need to bury the ax
dr ses

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#47
Mar 24, 2011
 
former teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, you obviously CARE since you took the time for your rather weak response. Secondly, kudos to mom and dad, but I would love to hear what "volunteering" you supposedly do. Thirdly, as a former teacher I taught my students to respond diplomatically and articulate themselves with solid facts, arguments, and viewpoints so they don't have to resort to name-calling the way young children need to. Lastly, it is unfortunate that people abuse their hard fought freedom of speech to talk like a spoiled teenager. I am sure your parents would be so proud!
If you taught your students to respond the way you did in your post, they are surly failures in this world. You did not respond to anything in the post on a factual or even opiniated basis except in your own snided little way to make us want to beleive you are so articlate and how wonderful you were as a teacher.

Unfortunatly your level of eduation is minimal if real. You have based your argument on emotuion not fact as outlined by the courts or the law. You act as if free speech can be shut down on an emotional whim with no regard for the slippery slope it creates. You are unable to artuiclate on a factual level but only on an emotional and sarcastic level, which makes you a very scary person to teach children. I am only glad you are former so as not to harm any more children.

As to your 'hard fought' freedom of speech, save it. The men who fought and died for it have the right to claim that right, we only have the right to exercise it. And again if you would ubnderstand what free speech as guarennteed in the United Staes you would understand it has niothing to the content you judge acceptable or not. You beleive that free speech is only nice nice talk in your perverted world view. It includes much more than that. It gives me the right to still think you are an ignorant a@@!
dr ses

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#48
Mar 24, 2011
 
Tammy wrote:
dr ses, They did not hold signs and post things on the internet defaming the family. your post does not say anthing about them attacking private families,It is you and the maternal side who showed no class by going against their daughters who want the wrong done right against their brother. They supported their father through out this case to the dismay of the mother and the grandparents, I saw them speak in many interviews, its find that the mother support free speech, they are just upset with Mr. Snyder and the only person they are hurting is the daughters, they need to bury the ax
You are truly stupid. Hiodling signs that say 'Baby killer' at the gates of Arlimngton natiomnal cemetery for the famalies burying thier dead seems to me like a personal attack. Just as much as saying soldiers, not specifically Matthew Snyder, were gay, etc.. I suggest you do some research. And perhaps their were no online attacks beacuse there were no computers back then. It was done face to face. Ask my mother who on more than one occassion confronted in public with vile speak about my father being in the war.

The long attacks were prompted by the protracted litigation and the back and forth of BOTH sides and what they said about each other. The kooks from Westboro were vile, but Snyder and his gang of groupies like yourself have flamed the fire as well.

Maybe someday you will come to understand what those of us that lost someone in war, what free speech means and what price it cost. I suppose you think because my father was killed in war and I don't support the theatrics of Snyder and his attorneys I must be as 'bad' as Mathew Snyder's mother and grandparents. Sorry, my family has given the most any famalit could be expected to in a time of war so your pathetic posts and irrational is really just plain silly.
Tammy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#49
Mar 24, 2011
 
dr ses are you 6 or 7 years old or just very attached to your mommy and they didn't hold signs that said baby killers, point me in the direction of the internet and show me that, you can not back your facts. I hope Mr. Snyder continues to flame the fire because thats what 80-85 percent of this country wants, Mr Snyder and his son have done more for this country then you will ever do, Can't wait for your mommy to die so we can hold signs at her funeral saying THANK GOD FOR MOTHERS WHO RAISE IDIOTS!
Tammy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50
Mar 24, 2011
 

Judged:

1

dr ses, the American legion and the VFW and the military over in Iraq and Afganistan must be nothing more then Al Snyder groupies also , because they are his biggest supporters.
Dr Martin VanNostran

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#51
Mar 24, 2011
 
pete wrote:
dr ses & Dr. VanNostran and Wait a minute are all the same people they are members of the westboro cult., Mr. Snyder was probley still in high school during Vietnam, and as badly as the Vietnam Vets were treated, not one of their funerals were interupted the way the Phelps interupt funeral and thats a fact , go back and read your history books, I hope when you mother dies someone stands outside her funeral with a sign that says THANK GOD FOR DEAD SLUTS, don't start judging people you don't know
I certainly do not belong to a cult and don't agree with what they did that day. But I do beleave in freedom of speech. If Mr. Snyder did not like the protest he should have handled it like a real man and crossed the line and kicked some butt. He should be ashamed of standing back and doing nothing if it were my family member I would not have waited one second I would have been taking care of business no matter what the consequences were.Now he wants to cash in accepting money from the vfw what a shame.
Dr Martin VanNostran

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#52
Mar 24, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Tammy wrote:
dr ses are you 6 or 7 years old or just very attached to your mommy and they didn't hold signs that said baby killers, point me in the direction of the internet and show me that, you can not back your facts. I hope Mr. Snyder continues to flame the fire because thats what 80-85 percent of this country wants, Mr Snyder and his son have done more for this country then you will ever do, Can't wait for your mommy to die so we can hold signs at her funeral saying THANK GOD FOR MOTHERS WHO RAISE IDIOTS!
Hows this for freedom of speech Blow Me you fat pig
Clayton Bigsby

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#53
Mar 24, 2011
 
Dr Martin VanNostran,
I totally agree with your thinking. If this group were to protest any funeral I attended, family or friend, I would have to cross the line and whoop some a$$! Mr. Snyder saw dollar signs as soon as he realized what was going on during his sons funeral. It;s a shame that most Americans have turned to this approach as a way to make money. I hate the fact that Westboro is doing what they're doing but the fact that Mr. Snyder is taking advantage of the communities dollars is just sickening!
dr ses

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#54
Mar 24, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Tammy wrote:
dr ses are you 6 or 7 years old or just very attached to your mommy and they didn't hold signs that said baby killers, point me in the direction of the internet and show me that, you can not back your facts. I hope Mr. Snyder continues to flame the fire because thats what 80-85 percent of this country wants, Mr Snyder and his son have done more for this country then you will ever do, Can't wait for your mommy to die so we can hold signs at her funeral saying THANK GOD FOR MOTHERS WHO RAISE IDIOTS!
Geez i guess my father being killed in the line of duty in Vietnam is doing nothing for this country. I'm so glad Albert Snyder's family memeber was so much more important than mione when he died in the line of duty protecting your right to be a bigot and a fool.

Why do you persist in wishing ill on my mother who has no dog in this fight except she lost the man she loved with all her heart and gave her three children? What did she ever do to you to make you hate someone so bad? Because I beleive as she, that free speech, no matter how vile needs to be protected for everyone?

While you and 'pete' and 'former teacher' have evrry right to say the most vile and personal attacks against someone who disagrees with you because you can't back it up with fact, it definitly diminshes your credibility when you talk about honoring someone else's loss by limiting what they can say or do. Because by calling her a slut and other foul names you are no different than the Westboro kooks who called a soldier gay. You truly are a sick and perverted individual who I'm sorry my father and Matthew Snyder gave their lives for so you can live in peace and freedom. because your idiocy is not what they fought for and i doubt Albert Snyder would be proud of you calling a soldiers widow a slut. If he is he is just as sick as you.

Perhaps you may want to take a break from spouting vile insults and look on the internet by goggling Vietnam protests and funerals and you will see what was done to military famaliies in the 60s and 70s. i know you won't because you are so wrapped up in believing things that are not true.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Spring Grove Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Spring Grove People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Spring Grove News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Spring Grove
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••