Nippersink teachers strike stretches ...

Nippersink teachers strike stretches through 5th day

There are 7 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 18, 2007, titled Nippersink teachers strike stretches through 5th day. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Lynn Davids' yard was full of kids jumping on a trampoline and riding bikes this week instead of studying in classrooms shuttered by a five-day-old teachers' strike in McHenry County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

commuter

United States

#1 Oct 18, 2007
It has been a tough couple of weeks. Being a small community it pulls at everyone. The latest BOE has tried to hold the line and bring us to a balanced working budget. However passed on their latest contract to share Mr. Oest with the high school and the fact that they were so proud they didnt need to raise of fees this year, they obviously missed something in budget planning what was that oh yea we need to pay the people who actually work with the kids. D2 BOE I haved vote you in I can vote you out. work with the teachers and get them back to work by compromising.
commuter

United States

#2 Oct 18, 2007
Just wanted to let everyone know i saw this on another blog and the IEA site "
there will be a community informational meeting tomorrow (Oct. 19) at 5:00 pm at 10709 Main St. Richmond(across from Taco Bell, next to the Dollar Up). All interested individuals are welcome. Please come to get the facts! Spread the word! The teachers are holding this informational meeting in response to questions from the community. This is not a rally. It is strictly informational. All members of the community are welcome. I know this is sponsored by the teachers but at least it is a way to get more information. stay strong teachers
D2 resident

United States

#3 Oct 19, 2007
Stay strong teachers?? I am very sad to see that these teachers, whom most parents like very much, continue to strike. The BOE, who is only working for the best interest of the community, has made many counter offers, which have been been rejected by the union. The union's only goal is to get more for the teachers. The teachers chose to strike. They do not seem to care about the children, parents, community, or support staff (who is also out of a job--without any union support). It is all about them. Poor teachers? What about Poor community? Get back to work teachers. Make the right choice this time--don't disappoint the community any more.
District 2 Taxpayer

United States

#4 Oct 19, 2007
The district has need to be re-organized for sometime. The status of most if not all citizens in this community has been to pay into their retirement and healthcare. This is the first BOE that is actually listening to the taxpayers. However difficult it is to be on either side, it is time for a change. We cannot keep handing over dollars until the budget is balanced, the schools, books and technology are updated. If you want your children ready for college you need to get with the times, and look past your small town mentality.
South Side Taxpayer

AOL

#5 Oct 19, 2007
I hope the BOE continues the good work in trying to holding outrageous school spending down. The 3.5% raise only applies to the first couple of steps in a salary schedule. The magic of the salary schedule adds another 1%. 3.5% becomes 4.5%. Then don’t forget the salary schedule lane advancements, another 4% or 5% or even 6% added to the 4.5%. For some teachers the raise could be as much as 9.5%. And don’t forget the 100% board paid TRS pension contributions. This adds a yearly salary bonus of 10.4%. The 3.5% raise is now about (3.5 + 1.0 + 10.4) 14.9% plus a possible lane increase (5.0 +/+) Not bad for 9 months work.
Springgrovemom

United States

#6 Oct 20, 2007
I stand firmly behind the BOE. I love the teacher, but this dist. is tapped out. If the money in Rich/sp is not good enoug I wish you the best of luck as you move on in your life, allow us to move on in ours.
tired of taxes

United States

#7 Oct 21, 2007
The district says it is tapped and has no money? I remember the district getting the teachers behind them to reject plans to bring business into Richmond. Ms. Anderson claimed we need more houses instead of businesses. I would prefer some businesses in town to share the tax burden. Perhaps if we had more businesses then they would be paying taxes and there would be more money to pay teachers. I truly believe we pay enpugh taxes for education in this district. I'm not sure I have any confidence in the narrow mindednes of the district administration but then it is difficult to sya who is right when we do not have all the facts. Get our kids back in school and settle your diffrences during the summer months.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Antioch OKs $250K grant to fill vacant departme... 14 hr Cookie Lover 2
IH Rent - Invitation Homes Complaints (Feb '14) Aug 17 takenforaride 163
Antioch Rescue Squad - where is the money? (Sep '14) Aug 16 antioch resident 128
News Richmond-Burton athletic director, football coa... Aug 9 irish you made a ... 2
News Spring Grove burglary suspect arrested Aug 8 Irish Willie 1
Antioch Canton Tea Garden? Aug 8 Irish Willie 4
screw you antioch,il ambulance service Aug 3 Nitz Harvinkter Sr 3

Spring Grove Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spring Grove Mortgages