First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cappoletti

Burgettstown, PA

#1 Nov 9, 2007
Hey How many of you guys remember partying in Rudolphs Hotel in Avonmore? I think that place put Avonmore on the map. There and the festival.

I moved out of Avonmore a long time ago, never hear much about what is going on.

Anyone local peruse this forum?????
Mr Saltsburg

United States

#2 Nov 9, 2007
cappoletti wrote:
Hey How many of you guys remember partying in Rudolphs Hotel in Avonmore? I think that place put Avonmore on the map. There and the festival.
As a kid, I remember the Fall Festival in Avonmore and the lines of traffic funneling in and out of there. The street entertainment for us kids were great times...watching the huge parade, the bikers hanging out, walking up & down the streets looking at all the street vendors...then there was Rudolphs...we kids got more laughs at the buzzed up goofballs staggering in and out at that place. The unique aroma of a certain sweet smell & loud music hovered around that place during those times.

The whole Avonmore fall festival idea reminded me when I was out in New Hope, Pa in the 90's...including the smell of weed as a part of street vendoring. Back then, Avonmore had something special that attracted alot of people & vendors from all over in the fall....Saltsburg still struggles with canal days attracting people & vendors. Some of it might have to do with poor summer timing and the HIGH cost to setup a stand.
Melissa

Hershey, PA

#3 Nov 12, 2007
I moved out of Avonmore in 79. My older brothers would probably remember Rudolphs. I remember the Fall Festivals though. I have alot of great memories of Avonmore. What a cool town back then. Especially tubing in the Winter:)
Remember when

Wheeling, WV

#4 Nov 13, 2007
I moved away in the late 80's when I was close to 30 years old. Things were going downhill in town then. Growing up was great though, too bad things change so much.

Kinda sad
cappoletti

Burgettstown, PA

#5 Jan 14, 2008
Hey although I moved away I still come back for a few brew now and then. Stil lthe same nice little working class town, cold beer and fond memories.

I also remember some hotties for Avonmore and Saltsburg.

The Avanmore festival is still a hoot.
Former Avonmoron

La Quinta, CA

#6 Apr 28, 2009
Avonmore was a great place to grow up. Lots of activity. Some great nick names - Nookie, Ringneck, Crash, Shadow, Skitchain, Pivich, Mutt, Hump, Shamu, BooBoo, Clucky, Tintson, etc. It was definitely lots of fun. It would have been a real TV hit today.
Cappoletti

Burgettstown, PA

#7 May 8, 2009
Dude I think your a little older than me....tames, rat, carp, gut, redneck, johnall, zeke,...... I know all the guys you mentioned though!
Former Avonmoron

La Quinta, CA

#8 May 8, 2009
Cappoletti wrote:
Dude I think your a little older than me....tames, rat, carp, gut, redneck, johnall, zeke,...... I know all the guys you mentioned though!
Thanks, I forgot these names. Have seen tames, rat, zeke. Haven't seen gut, johnall. I remember now libby, rat's brother. Don't forget skitchain, maybe the top name. Have no idea how that name was formed.
Cappoletti

Burgettstown, PA

#9 May 11, 2009
Was down Avonmore this weekend for some beer drinking. Still like the home town feel. I graduated HS in 78, did the college thing and lived in Avonmore till 1990. Now its once or twice a year. Hit the Moose, Polish Club, and then the Italian Club.
Former Avonmoron

La Quinta, CA

#10 May 11, 2009
Cappoletti wrote:
Was down Avonmore this weekend for some beer drinking. Still like the home town feel. I graduated HS in 78, did the college thing and lived in Avonmore till 1990. Now its once or twice a year. Hit the Moose, Polish Club, and then the Italian Club.
I graduated in 1970. Used to sit on the Polish Club steps steady. Kind of an altar in Avonmore. I remember growing up there, lots of small businesses. Loberts, Chucks Soda Grill, Morgans Market, Taylors Market, Vinces Barber Shop, Tonys Barber Shop (had the radio on but the volume off), more barrooms, etc. Avonmore was definitely made for reality TV. Great fun people!
Cappoletti

Burgettstown, PA

#11 May 13, 2009
You are correct about the people you dont find any better or unique anywhere. The festival was a blast in years past and seemed to die for a long time. Its now making a really nice comeback. I look forward to visiting every year.
Former Avonmoron

La Quinta, CA

#12 May 13, 2009
Cappoletti wrote:
You are correct about the people you dont find any better or unique anywhere. The festival was a blast in years past and seemed to die for a long time. Its now making a really nice comeback. I look forward to visiting every year.
When I visit Avonmore, my biggest complaint are these abandoned buildings. They are fire hazards and eyesores. The town needs a major clean-up. It is an embarrassment for outsiders to see this.
Yeah, the fall festival was a blast. I also remember growing up, a carnival would come to town for a whole week. Great fun! There was a caged trailer where anyone could volunteer to fight an orangutan or chimpanzee. If you stayed in for so many minutes, you win a small cash prize. My friend fought it and claims it was an orangutan. When you're drinking, it looks like Bigfoot.
Rudolph Hotel

Chicora, PA

#13 May 16, 2009
Hello, to all former residents of Avonmore and former partons of Rudolph's Hotel.
We had Rudolph's for 37 years and the Avonmore Fall Festival were among our most memorable memories. Yes, the town has changed over the years but still there is the hometown feeling. The festival is trying to make a come back after several years of not having one.. It's nice to have it again. It is also great seeing former residents returning for the festival.
It brings back old memories of Rudolphs when you mentioned all the nick names..
Thanks to all the loyal customers... see you at the festival.
Former Avonmoron wrote:
<quoted text>
When I visit Avonmore, my biggest complaint are these abandoned buildings. They are fire hazards and eyesores. The town needs a major clean-up. It is an embarrassment for outsiders to see this.
Yeah, the fall festival was a blast. I also remember growing up, a carnival would come to town for a whole week. Great fun! There was a caged trailer where anyone could volunteer to fight an orangutan or chimpanzee. If you stayed in for so many minutes, you win a small cash prize. My friend fought it and claims it was an orangutan. When you're drinking, it looks like Bigfoot.
good

Apollo, PA

#14 Nov 6, 2009
he
Rudolphs

Chicora, PA

#15 Nov 9, 2009
I remember buying my first beer there at 16 years of age
Former Avonmoron

La Quinta, CA

#16 Nov 9, 2009
Yep, sounds right, buying beer at 16. There was no discrimination.
Rudolphs

Chicora, PA

#17 Nov 9, 2009
I can still picture her behind the bar....I remember one time she said...."Are you 18" I said "yes and I am going on 19" She then took the money for the 6 pack...Can't figure that one out being the age was 21
Former Avonmoron

La Quinta, CA

#18 Nov 10, 2009
She had her own minimum age requirement based on the situation :-) Good manners helped too.
Local boy

Greensburg, PA

#19 Nov 25, 2009
Heck was nuttin to fire up a joint in the back room. I remember walking back there and gettin a buzz from the secondary smoke, and being 19.

Those were the days my friend
Ex-Avonmoreon

Greensburg, PA

#20 Feb 25, 2011
I've ben out West for tooooo long. Left Rudolph's with a hooter behind my ear in 1978. I do not speak Spanish...gotta get outta here. I'M GOING BACK !!! At least they speak American in A-more! I'm a goin fish'n, and a hunt'n, and a drink'n. See ya all at My Buddies Place ('ol Rudolph's)I'll save a seat for ya...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Church Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Saltsburg (May '16) Tue Bebe 71
Looking for Junior Marchitelli Jan 16 Bebe 7
welfare/SSI (Oct '15) Nov '16 diddly doo 19
Avonmore woman missing Nov '16 BAM 6
Callahan, Wise, Barnum Oct '16 Kate 3
avonmore mayor (Jul '15) Sep '16 Herb 5
How Come? (Jun '16) Jul '16 Kunta Koontah 4

Spring Church Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance