RARE "I Croak for the Jackson Wagon" 1880's Door Stop

Full story: Spatial Ireland

I CROAK FROG DOOR STOP. C.1880 Vintage cast iron dipped in brass figural door stop, From form inscribed: "I Croak for the Jackson Wagon" on back.
Comments
21 - 24 of 24 Comments Last updated Jun 16, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chuck

Covington, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2013

I have one as well, here is what the Kovell's had to say about the frog.

Q. A friend of mine has a construction business in Nashville, Tenn. In the process of dismantling an abandoned house not far from Andrew Jackson's home, he found a cast-iron frog. It weighs 31/2 pounds and is about 3 inches tall. An inscription on the frog's back reads "I croak for the Jackson wagon." What does that mean?

A. Collectors used to think this frog was related to Andrew Jackson's campaigns for president in 1828 and 1832. The gift shop at The Hermitage, Jackson's home, even sold reproductions of the famed frog. But in 1980, a researcher at the Smithsonian Institution discovered that the frog was an 1880s advertising premium for a wagon company in Jackson, Mich. An original advertising frog is valued at $200 to $300 today.
Margaret

West Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

I have a Jackson Wheel frog but it is cast in brass. Is this a reproduction? Were the originals all cast iron?
Tom

Kansas City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2013

I also have one and live in Kansas City on the Kansas side. Is this item for Andrew Jackson run for President? Also would be of interest how much it is worth. If for Andy Jackso, got to worth more than above poster mentioned.
Wanda Hesson

Faith, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2014

My mother has one. Writing is clear & it is solid cast iron (very heavy). She has had it for 30 yrs. Can anyone advice us of it's value??

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Spring Arbor Discussions

Search the Spring Arbor Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Sandy Case 8 hr chicken hunting 1
Review: Bamm's Carpet Cleaning Jul 24 David Wayne 1
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul 23 gottondas 5,482
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul '14 maeball 169
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun '14 lulubell 302
Dr Don's Famous Door Jun '14 curious 1
Review: Kwaske Construction May '14 satisfied customer 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Spring Arbor Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Spring Arbor People Search