RARE "I Croak for the Jackson Wagon" 1880's Door Stop

Full story: Spatial Ireland

I CROAK FROG DOOR STOP. C.1880 Vintage cast iron dipped in brass figural door stop, From form inscribed: "I Croak for the Jackson Wagon" on back.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Jun 16, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
carolj585

AOL

#1 Mar 7, 2008
how do I receive the full story?
Gerald McNerney

Studio City, CA

#2 Aug 1, 2008
I have one of these. Is it worth anything? I appeares to just be cast iron, no brass
Don Rogers

United States

#3 Aug 6, 2008
carolj585 wrote:
how do I receive the full story?
I believe we have one of these frogs also/ Does any one know a value?

When and where was this article posted?
Ron Davis

Fort Walton Beach, FL

#4 Jan 20, 2009
Gerald McNerney wrote:
I have one of these. Is it worth anything? I appeares to just be cast i
on, no brass
I also have one of cast iron. Do you know the orgin of " I croak for the Jackson wagon" and its value?
Stan Piper

Sydney, Australia

#5 Dec 12, 2009
I have one of these too. Had it for years. I live in Queensland, Australia
jasmine allen

Lewiston, ID

#6 Jan 23, 2010
My great grandmother found mine in a pile of dirt my great grandpa dug.I am 4th cousins to p.t barnum
Bob

Dearborn, MI

#7 May 13, 2010
Stan Piper wrote:
I have one of these too. Had it for years. I live in Queensland, Australia
My grandfather would be thrilled, The frog was cast in his foundry in Jackson Mi USA. The Jackson wagon was the light pick up wagon of the day
Bob

Dearborn, MI

#8 May 13, 2010
Don Rogers wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe we have one of these frogs also/ Does any one know a value?
When and where was this article posted?
Don; Your frog is not very far from home, it was cast in my grandfathers foundry in Jackson Mi. Value is in the eye or the big toe of the owner.Want to sell it? Bob lonesomebob@comcast.net
Bob

Dearborn, MI

#9 May 13, 2010
jasmine allen wrote:
My great grandmother found mine in a pile of dirt my great grandpa dug.I am 4th cousins to p.t barnum
I am grandson to the man who cast them, Cast in Jackson Mi at the holton foundry. Bob Holton
Kerry Guenter

Canada

#11 Aug 25, 2010
My parents, who live in Burns Lake, British Columbia, have one. The printing is indistinct and for years we have been trying to figure out what it said. This mystery is finally solved. All we could read for sure was "I croaked", which is what I googled and found out about this frog. These seem to have made their way around the world. George E.Allen is listed as a wagonmaker in Holton, Michigan in 1880. Does anyone (especially Bob Holton) know if Geo.Allen made the Jackson wagon? As the town only had three hundred residents, there probably wasn't more than one wagonmaker. Regards,Kerry
Bob

Dearborn, MI

#12 Aug 26, 2010
Gerald McNerney wrote:
I have one of these. Is it worth any
th
It was cast in Jackson Mi,in the late 1880" cast in my grandfathers foundry, jackson wagon was a light ,pickup type wagon. value is in the belief of the owner. lonesomebob@comcast.net Bob
Bob

Dearborn, MI

#13 Aug 26, 2010
To all who want info on the I croak for thr Jackson wagon frog. It was cast in the city of Jackson Michigan. In my grandfathers foundry. Holton Mi is another city some miles west. The Jackson wagon was Called a Democrat wagon or a light ,pick up wagon. The foundry and the Holton Dam are now gone.These are scattered all over the world I do believe. If you have ever kicked one in the night,then you know all its other names. value is in the eye of the owner. If you wish i may be contacted at ,lonesomebob@comcast.net There some funny stories about these frogs and their uses. Bob
Bob

Dearborn, MI

#14 Sep 5, 2010
Anyone want to sell a frog? contact me at lonesomebob@comcast.net
dave

Bridgman, MI

#15 Oct 10, 2010
Hey Bob,
Saw on a Heritage Auctions page one of these frogs sell for $145.00...I'm going to list mine on eBay, give it a look! 10/10/10.
Dave
Gerald McNerney

Burlington, IA

#16 Oct 14, 2010
Bob wrote:
To all who want info on the I croak for thr Jackson wagon frog. It was cast in the city of Jackson Michigan. In my grandfathers foundry. Holton Mi is another city some miles west. The Jackson wagon was Called a Democrat wagon or a light ,pick up wagon. The foundry and the Holton Dam are now gone.These are scattered all over the world I do believe. If you have ever kicked one in the night,then you know all its other names. value is in the eye of the owner. If you wish i may be contacted at ,lonesomebob@comcast.net There some funny stories about these frogs and their uses. Bob
Bob, my daughter lives in Jackson and I think I will give it to her. She may be interested in the history. Mine is cast iron but the writing is very clear on it.
Bob

Manchester Township, NJ

#17 Jan 12, 2011
We have one "I croak for the Webster wagon" Is it from MI?
SirchKismet

Athens, OH

#18 Jun 10, 2011
Bob wrote:
We have one "I croak for the Webster wagon" Is it from MI?
It is believed that the Webster frog comes from the Webster Wagon Co., Manufacturers of FARM, FREIGHT, LUMBER & PLANTATION WAGONS, MOUNDSVILLE, WEST VIRGINIA.
Ray

Portland, OR

#19 Sep 21, 2012
I purchased some property on the Cowlitz River in WA, State and was clearing brush and found one in beautiful shape! Great history (:
Steve W

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Mar 28, 2013
SirchKismet wrote:
<quoted text>
It is believed that the Webster frog comes from the Webster Wagon Co., Manufacturers of FARM, FREIGHT, LUMBER & PLANTATION WAGONS, MOUNDSVILLE, WEST VIRGINIA.
I also have a Frog that says I CROAK FOR THE WEBSTER WAGON.
I think my dad got it probably around 1950 when he ran an Auto Wrecking and Scrap Yard in Newcomerstown Ohio.
Dorothy

Champlin, MN

#21 Jun 16, 2013
I have one of these frogs, I got it from my mother-in-law. Most of the green is gone but you can read the name on it perfectly. I am willing to sell, are you still interested?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spring Arbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Gay Marriage - Jackson, MI (Jul '10) 20 hr lol 45
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) Aug 23 Truthisgood 115
Sandy Case Aug 19 chicken hunting 1
Review: Bamm's Carpet Cleaning Jul '14 David Wayne 1
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul '14 gottondas 5,482
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul '14 maeball 169
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun '14 lulubell 302
•••
•••
•••

Spring Arbor Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Spring Arbor People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Spring Arbor News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Spring Arbor
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••