Reckless people who put themselves in danger need to be rescued, but not handed a bill

Jun 22, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: MLive.com

Firefighters, like these from Jackson, Spring Arbor, and Summit, train to rescue people in all kinds of conditions.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Jun 23, 2013

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Adventurers, Mountain climbers and many other death-defyers.....should likely pay for the effort's of taxpayers rescue personnel and equipment.....People in bad car crashes have to pay bigtime, when the Air Ambulance is summoned.....

Since: Feb 10

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Adventurers, Mountain climbers and many other death-defyers.....should likely pay for the effort's of taxpayers rescue personnel and equipment.....People in bad car crashes have to pay bigtime, when the Air Ambulance is summoned.....
In looking at the comments it seems that folks missed the key part that said "if you do something reckless during an emergency – like a major flood – and need to be rescued, you’ll pick up the tab."

The bill has nothing to do with everyday emergencies, regardless if the person needing help was doing something stupid or just had an accident. There has to be a declared state of emergency.

I don't mind the bill because I'm not going to go kaiaking during a flood but I would be upset if I got stuck in a flood but the emergency services couldn't help me because they were rescuing some stupid daredevil.
Jules

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

If you put yourself in a dangerous position needlessly then yes you should be required to pay back the taxpayers for your decisions. They usually end up putting others in danger. When I lived in Colorado there were these idiots who would heli-ski in the back country and either get caught in an avalanche or smack into a tree miles from any road or civilization. Usually, helicopters were used in the search and rescue or used to transport rescuers at the cost of tens of thousands per hour paid for by taxpayers. You play? You pay!
Oneal

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Jules wrote:
If you put yourself in a dangerous position needlessly then yes you should be required to pay back the taxpayers for your decisions. They usually end up putting others in danger. When I lived in Colorado there were these idiots who would heli-ski in the back country and either get caught in an avalanche or smack into a tree miles from any road or civilization. Usually, helicopters were used in the search and rescue or used to transport rescuers at the cost of tens of thousands per hour paid for by taxpayers. You play? You pay!
So, let me ask you this; Should the same theory go for people who risk their lives and properties? If you decide to build a home in an area of the country that annually is renowned for tornado activity, or floods, or hurricanes - should you receive federal aid on top of the insurance you buy, should the probable natural disaster occur?

It's the same theory, yet annually the government spends billions on aid for natural disasters in areas of the country that we already know are risky.

We'd be hard-pressed to let people just sit their after a tornado swept their homes and lives away. In fact, it was either Ron or Rand Paul who suggested we not offer the Arkansas tornado victims government aid for the very reason you would deny risk-takers. He was absolutely demonized for that comment.

So, if we offer government aid to home risk-takers, why would we not offer emergency aid to personal risk-takers?

Just a thought.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Jules wrote:
I alway's thought places like California and Colorado have this adventuresom nature and their overboard political correctness, clogged their common sense.....Like San Francisco is very friendly with the homeless....so much so, that at Fisherman's Wharf, a major tourist attraction....the homeless are allowed to roust you, for spare change......lol.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Spring Arbor Discussions

Search the Spring Arbor Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Bamm's Carpet Cleaning Jul 24 David Wayne 1
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul 23 gottondas 5,482
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun '14 lulubell 302
RARE "I Croak for the Jackson Wagon" 1880's Doo... (Mar '08) Jun '14 Wanda Hesson 24
Dr Don's Famous Door Jun '14 curious 1
Review: Kwaske Construction May '14 satisfied customer 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Spring Arbor Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Spring Arbor People Search