Formerly homeless Tacoma Army veteran...

Formerly homeless Tacoma Army veteran is among thousands to benefit from federal effort

There are 4 comments on the The News Tribune story from Apr 5, 2012, titled Formerly homeless Tacoma Army veteran is among thousands to benefit from federal effort. In it, The News Tribune reports that:

Darren Spencer, 39, a former homeless veteran, and his 18-year-old son Lamont pose in their Tacoma-area apartment Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The News Tribune.

“Seeking the TryGon Trigon”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#1 Apr 8, 2012
Good to hear someone is stepping up for the people who got drawn into these crazy expeditions overseas. When they come home they need our support to reintegrate.

Since: Dec 09

Choctaw, OK

#2 Apr 8, 2012
Help is there more today then years back!

Today if your on the streets as a true Veteran and do not seek help there is a bigger problem.

We still have Veterans on the streets here (OK City ) but they wont get a job or move off the streets! you can only help thoses who wont the help!

We have veterans who need medical help but wont seek it and wont take what is given to them on veteran sweps they do in the city each month!

Help is there for ALL Veterans and for ALL wars veterans..........
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#3 Apr 8, 2012
USA VET wrote:
Help is there more today then years back!
Today if your on the streets as a true Veteran and do not seek help there is a bigger problem.
We still have Veterans on the streets here (OK City ) but they wont get a job or move off the streets! you can only help thoses who wont the help!
We have veterans who need medical help but wont seek it and wont take what is given to them on veteran sweps they do in the city each month!
Help is there for ALL Veterans and for ALL wars veterans..........
Yes, I know the help is there. I see it every time I visit a VA hospital. I also see and speak to vets who don't want the help. I know one man who served and tells me the years and how happy he is, living on the streets and he wouldn't change it. That is his reality and he is safe and happy from his state of mind. No he does not want the help and will cuss you out if your offer it to him. Yes this is a sad reality for some vets but some vets have been destroyed by life as it is today. The worry of keeping a job to support a family, the worry of bills that are due and you can't keep up with them, the worry of medicine you can't afford and the reality of death around each corner. Some vets I have spoken to, look forward to the after life because it offers a solace that things will be better on the other side. It is hard to understand this reality. When you are broken and destroyed by the way the world is today, it is hard to come back. Just the simple things of where to get a meal, when to get out of the cold, and only worrying about how you have to survive are the simple rules of today much less the hard lifestyle of today. Talk to one of these men or women who live this life. Don't try and change them, that will only make them angry, just try and understand what destroyed them and then look at today and understand you are not there yet but you could learn the lesson of survival in a limited world of choice.

Since: Dec 09

Choctaw, OK

#4 Apr 8, 2012
I was just reading a story about HOW some will become homeless again cause of the grant money will run out and it's up to the veteran to pay his or her rent!
Some are taking the housing but have NO job! Some yes have kids but grants run out = money

In the story one Veteran says he now has a roof over his head but for HOW long? He lived in his car for 9 months and still looked for work and picked up cans for gas money to get food and look for a job. He has a part time job of 29 hours a week for $8.55 an hour and still looking for a full time job to stash money back and be able to pay the rent and power bill and car insurance.

As he said it's not going well for full time work!

So now in the months to come HOW many Veterans will lose his or her rent hours or apt. will be moved back out to the street once the grant money = GOV money runs dry?

No one is checking on what will happen tomarrow it's always today but today will run out we must make funds or jobs to keep Veterans off the streets of the USA

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sprague Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Local Horse Rescue Needs Help Feeding Horses (Mar '15) Mar '15 Kurt Cooks 1
Review: Dalkena Community Church (Jan '15) Jan '15 Robyn Kelly 1
despair and white poverty runs rampade in this ... (Mar '12) Aug '14 Adam 3
Newport Community meetings (Jan '14) Jan '14 VictorBueno 1
News In brief: Body found in Newport park - Mon, 16 ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 manuel mejia 2
News Sprague building collapse hurting nearby busine... (Oct '13) Oct '13 kevin hannan 1
chec k this out! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Kenton Krason 1

Sprague Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Sprague Mortgages