The Queens' Kingdom
WIT

United States

#4712 Jan 24, 2013
big package wrote:
<quoted text>
Sooo... eat a little. I had a small sandwich bag of walnuts I had shelled earlier for a snack. And a small cup of Honey, Nuts and Oats Greek Yogurt cereal dry. Yumm.
I didn't get up to eat then, but I am now. I've got to get some shut eye so I'm off to sleep soon. My g'daughter tested negative for the flu but will be home again tomorrow. Hope she feels better and can eat tomorrow. The cat comes home Saturday.:/

Since: Nov 12

Boonville, IN

#4713 Jan 25, 2013
Good morning everyone and be safe fairly slick this morning

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#4714 Jan 25, 2013
Wondering30 wrote:
Good morning everyone and be safe fairly slick this morning
fairly? I need skates to go out on my back porch.

Since: Nov 12

Boonville, IN

#4715 Jan 25, 2013
BLUeyedGUY wrote:
<quoted text> fairly? I need skates to go out on my back porch.
not the bad here in Henderson

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#4716 Jan 25, 2013
Wondering30 wrote:
<quoted text>not the bad here in Henderson
that's what I hear. Hancock Co. Told me NO!!! Don't even attempt to send a truck out....
WIT

United States

#4717 Jan 25, 2013
It sure looks slick out there but a family member just sent a text that the roads were fine around here! One thing good is that it's a little warmer today!

Good Morning!

“I'm almost awesome”

Since: Dec 12

jersey city

#4718 Jan 25, 2013
WIT wrote:
It sure looks slick out there but a family member just sent a text that the roads were fine around here! One thing good is that it's a little warmer today!
Good Morning!
Good morning ALL (yes, guys too!) Be safe out there traveling around.
WIT

United States

#4719 Jan 25, 2013
Owensboro city streets must be really slick this morning!
Just checked and far north PA is still in single digits. Brrrrr! Time to move outta there! Honolulu is expecting the low 80's today. Mmmmm. Sounds good! Next January trip idea ? Lol
Meanwhile back to reality! The Grandson enjoyed throwing rip rap onto the Pond ice and watching it slide around. It WAS fun!

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#4720 Jan 25, 2013
CastleOnACloud wrote:
<quoted text>All the research or articles I've read point to almonds as the healthiest. I eat the plain, raw ones...but Sam's Club sells these freaking AMAZING creme brulee almonds every Christmas. TO. DIE. FOR. The cocoa ones quite scrumptious, too. Of course, I just buy the plain ones & eat like a cup a day, most of the time. Fabulous source of fiber, by the way.

You do realize that sunflower seeds are SEEDS, not nuts, right?? lol. I do love those, too...just don't buy them very often. Love to throw them in salads.
Since we're getting all technical... A nut is a type of fruit. So then what is a fruit? A fruit is a mature ovary from a flower. Every fruit contains one or more seeds. And what is a seed? A seed is an embryonic plant encased in a covering, called the seed coat or integument. Every seed has the potential to germinate and grow into a mature adult plant. After a flower is pollinated, sperm are delivered to the eggs, deep down in the part of the flower called the ovary. After the eggs are fertilized, each one can develop into an embryo enclosed by an integument. That is a seed. As seeds mature, the surrounding ovary tissue develops into a fruit. This fruit can take many forms; some plants make berries (like blueberries or tomatoes), some make legumes (like peas and beans), some make dry capsules (like poppies). Other plants make pretty bizarre fruits; grasses make a fruit called a caryopsis (like a grain of wheat or a corn kernel) and members of the daisy family make a fruit called a cypsela (the little parachute things that we like to blow off the tops of dandelions).

To answer the question: many plants make a fruit called a nut. Technically, a nut is a single-seeded fruit with a hard, dry outer wall that doesn't crack open at maturity. An acorn (the fruit of an oak tree) is a perfect example of a nut. By the way, some things we usually call "nuts" are not, botanically speaking nuts. A peanut (when still in its shell) is a legume. An almond is a type of fruit called a drupe. A coconut is also a drupe.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#4721 Jan 25, 2013
WIT wrote:
<quoted text>Have you tried boiled peanuts ? They are absolutely wonderful !! I'm sorry that's a bald faced lie. I think they are nasty
At least you admitted it.. Lol!

I've lived in the south long enough to get suckered into trying damn near every kind of boiled peanut. They are nasty! I don't care how you slice it, flavor it or boil it, they're gross!

“I'm almost awesome”

Since: Dec 12

jersey city

#4722 Jan 25, 2013
WIT wrote:
Owensboro city streets must be really slick this morning!
Just checked and far north PA is still in single digits. Brrrrr! Time to move outta there! Honolulu is expecting the low 80's today. Mmmmm. Sounds good! Next January trip idea ? Lol
Meanwhile back to reality! The Grandson enjoyed throwing rip rap onto the Pond ice and watching it slide around. It WAS fun!
Yes, it's 8* and feels like -1*. I've got to go back out and do about 2 hours of outside work and I'm procrastinating. I do need to just get it done though because snow is on the way. All the water around here is frozen SOLID now.

I've never been to Hawaii except as a whistle stop. I'd love to go someday. My parents and younger sister and her family have all been and they raved about it.

Keep dodging the sickies WIT.

“I'm almost awesome”

Since: Dec 12

jersey city

#4723 Jan 25, 2013
Amandas Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Since we're getting all technical... A nut is a type of fruit. So then what is a fruit? A fruit is a mature ovary from a flower. Every fruit contains one or more seeds. And what is a seed? A seed is an embryonic plant encased in a covering, called the seed coat or integument. Every seed has the potential to germinate and grow into a mature adult plant. After a flower is pollinated, sperm are delivered to the eggs, deep down in the part of the flower called the ovary. After the eggs are fertilized, each one can develop into an embryo enclosed by an integument. That is a seed. As seeds mature, the surrounding ovary tissue develops into a fruit. This fruit can take many forms; some plants make berries (like blueberries or tomatoes), some make legumes (like peas and beans), some make dry capsules (like poppies). Other plants make pretty bizarre fruits; grasses make a fruit called a caryopsis (like a grain of wheat or a corn kernel) and members of the daisy family make a fruit called a cypsela (the little parachute things that we like to blow off the tops of dandelions).
To answer the question: many plants make a fruit called a nut. Technically, a nut is a single-seeded fruit with a hard, dry outer wall that doesn't crack open at maturity. An acorn (the fruit of an oak tree) is a perfect example of a nut. By the way, some things we usually call "nuts" are not, botanically speaking nuts. A peanut (when still in its shell) is a legume. An almond is a type of fruit called a drupe. A coconut is also a drupe.
Wow. And it's NOT a cut and paste job. Very good my man. I love fruits and nuts in most any form you named. They're mostly all good to eat in my book. 1 smartie for you J.

“I'm almost awesome”

Since: Dec 12

jersey city

#4724 Jan 25, 2013
Amandas Man wrote:
<quoted text>
At least you admitted it.. Lol!
I've lived in the south long enough to get suckered into trying damn near every kind of boiled peanut. They are nasty! I don't care how you slice it, flavor it or boil it, they're gross!
Amen. I kind of felt bad at first, like I was insulting an icon or something. They ARE gross.
WIT

United States

#4725 Jan 25, 2013
.....and for the final prize, explain why bananas are herbs.... Lol

“I'm almost awesome”

Since: Dec 12

jersey city

#4726 Jan 25, 2013
WIT wrote:
.....and for the final prize, explain why bananas are herbs.... Lol
Whaaatttt???
WIT

United States

#4727 Jan 25, 2013
big package wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen. I kind of felt bad at first, like I was insulting an icon or something. They ARE gross.
Has anyone ever admitted liking those nasty things? Who do they sell them to? MAybe they sell them just once to every person ...so thAt means they have an unlimited source of potential customers...Kinda like if every person in owensboro would send me just one dollar....(wishful thinking)
Home Sitter

Owensboro, KY

#4728 Jan 25, 2013
BLUeyedGUY wrote:
<quoted text>I'm around
Good!
WIT

United States

#4729 Jan 25, 2013
big package wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it's 8* and feels like -1*. I've got to go back out and do about 2 hours of outside work and I'm procrastinating. I do need to just get it done though because snow is on the way .

My gosh, you are out there doing work every morning. Harvesting all that ice and going to sell it this summer? Jk lol. Last winter the folks around here didn't get a single block of ice stored! Looks like they will get some this week!

“Tempermental Redhead!”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#4730 Jan 25, 2013
CastleOnACloud wrote:
<quoted text>I used to be TERRIBLE about laundry...but having to use a shared laundry room with the rest of the complex means I have to get it started & done all in one day/night. It is my least favorite, too.
Ugh, mine too! I love that we don't have to share anymore. I didn't use the shared laundry facilities. I was always worried about getting something in or on our clothes that we didn't want on or in them. I would take ours to my moms. I spend so much time there anyways that it was easier in a way. A pain in the arse to luge the laundry up an down the stairs but, I got it done in a day.

-tree rat-

Since: Jan 13

#4731 Jan 25, 2013
Good morning. I live on a road that does not get treated. Coming to work i found out i have some bad ass driving skills. On the subject of nuts(snicker), you guys should try pine nuts, they are great. Also, you can buy sun flower seed butter that is just fantastic. I had no idea so many women loved salty nuts......lol, sorry, i had to get that out of my system. Did you know nuts shrink in cold weather? Ha! Ok, i swear that was the last one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spottsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pit 5 min Maybe 2
Brooke martin 35 min Guest 101 1
Ttma 1 hr Lol 3
Cory p 1 hr mom2one 4
Mary Nelson Harmon 1 hr east end 2
Cory & Jenna edwards 1 hr mom2one 3
Before you judge 1 hr SCRAPER 15

Spottsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spottsville Mortgages