Stumpy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2010

The new and improved Spotsylvania County Noise Ordinance was approved and is supposed to be protecting your ears. But, is it? Probably not! I live in Lake Wilderness and when I moved in thought that it would be a peaceful place, boy was I wrong. Within a few months people moved in next door to me. I took them a welcome basket and offered any help my family and I could offer. I invited them over for supper, because I know what it is like to move. I was in the military and we moved many times.

In April these neighbors decided that they did not like me -- guess it is because I am short. It started with them turning off their septic pump, so my yard was the dumping ground for their raw sewage, then they decided to encourage their dog to bark for hours on end. Well, I took the high road and rolled with it. Now that the sewage problem did not get me mad enough to “met them out back” and the dog barking only cost me $40 bucks to get a sonic pet trainer, now they beat on drums. The drums beating can start one day at 9:00 AM and go until 7:00 PM the next day it may be 11:00 AM and go to 10:00 PM and this has been going on from 29 May 2010 until today and I have no doubt that it will happen again tomorrow and the day after until the earth stops spinning around the sun. Not just taps and not with any talent, it is much akin to a two-year-old banging mother’s pots and pans on the kitchen floor and at 80 decibels (DB).

Now for the Noise Ordinance and the reason for this posting. I have a copy of the new ordinance, it says that noise must be kept at or below 65 during day time hours and 60 DB at night. Exception, for repetitive noise such as “hammering and Drums” then the person taking the measurement must deduct 5 DB, so the daytime would be 60 and night 55. Spotsylvania’s deputy sheriffs have readers, we the tax payers bought them and they are not cheep. So, what is my issue. Well try to get them to respond to a noise complaint. It is near impossible, the abuser would need to play their music, beat the drums, or nail their nails for hours to allow sufficient time for the Deputy Sheriff to arrive to catch them in the act. And, if they do arrive to catch them in the act, don’t be surprised if the Deputy either does not know about the Ordinance, does not have his meter in the car, the meter has not be calibrated, or they stand and ask you questions so the offender can spot them and stop the activity that is making the noise. After all, I think most of us slow down when we are speeding and spot a policeman. So, why spend the money on the readers, why spend the money on researching noise…..is this such a rich county that we can afford to go thought the drill of developing and printing an Ordinance that will never be more than a dust collector on a desk?

Over the past 60 days I have been told that it is my neighbor’s Constructional Right to beat the drums without limit on the noise. When I showed the officer the Ordinance, then I was told to go to Juvenile Intake and file a complaint. The next officer I had to show the Ordinance to, told me that because noise is a misdemeanor, I needed to go to the Magistrate’s Office and file a complaint. Two other officers did not have meters and the other two had meters that were not calibrated. Ergo, if you expect protection under the new Spotsylvania County Noise Ordinance……….good luck!
Barkin Mad

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2010

We have the same problem here in Breezewood with a guy who has 4 dogs. He lets them out to bark at 4am every morning when he gets up for work, inconsiderate that not everyone gets up at that hour! The dogs bark constantly all day at nothing. I've watched him with them, and instead of teaching them manners he rewards their barking habits with food. He is as dumb as his dogs are. Maybe I should take up the drums just to start banging on them when he goes to bed at 8pm. Tit for tat if the cops don't care anyway, right? ;-)
County Resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2010

So call the newspaper. I hear their Spotsylvania County beat reporter is a guy who does nothing short of putting the coals under the feet of local governments. He has a good blog,too.

Just make sure you have evidence or he'll likely move on. I called him on a story two years ago and he ran me through for weeks on proof before he wrote the story.
Stumpy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2010

Barkin Mad wrote:
We have the same problem here in Breezewood with a guy who has 4 dogs. He lets them out to bark at 4am every morning when he gets up for work, inconsiderate that not everyone gets up at that hour! The dogs bark constantly all day at nothing. I've watched him with them, and instead of teaching them manners he rewards their barking habits with food. He is as dumb as his dogs are. Maybe I should take up the drums just to start banging on them when he goes to bed at 8pm. Tit for tat if the cops don't care anyway, right? ;-)
Well, there is something you can do about the dogs barding. There are several devices you can buy that will not hurt the dog, nor will you be able to hear it, but it will even retrain old dogs. It is an ultra sonic sound that is emitted when the dog barks. I found one at PetCo for about $40 and within 3 days the German Sheppard belonging to the same horrible neighbors was retrained. Too bad there is nothing like this for bad neighbors. Of course, pardon me, but they are Yankees and seem to have no appreciation for manners. Did not mean to offend any, if there are any, Yankees with manners.
They are yanking my chain

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2010

Stumpy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, there is something you can do about the dogs barding. There are several devices you can buy that will not hurt the dog, nor will you be able to hear it, but it will even retrain old dogs. It is an ultra sonic sound that is emitted when the dog barks. I found one at PetCo for about $40 and within 3 days the German Sheppard belonging to the same horrible neighbors was retrained. Too bad there is nothing like this for bad neighbors. Of course, pardon me, but they are Yankees and seem to have no appreciation for manners. Did not mean to offend any, if there are any, Yankees with manners.
I've been eyeing those ultrsonic things for awhile - how close do you have yours to the dog. We have a neighbor's yard between us and two monster barkers. They pull the 'I don't speak english' trick when you try to talk to them about their dogs, and this Yankee is darn tired of it.
Bill

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

There's a much simpler and less costly way to enforce a noise ordinance than purchasing meters. Instead of setting a decibel limit, set a maximum distance at which the noise is audible. 50 feet with open windows or doors and 10 feet with closed does the trick, and is easily applied to vehicles and permanent structures.
Jose

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2011

In doubt the tapping was compare able to a 80 decibel sound, I'm sure your neighbors have an explanation for these things, have you confronted them about these issues and if so I'm sure they didn't say, "your short we don't like you" your post is obviously biased on your side of the situation. You cannot hold them accountable for their dog barking.
Ellen Herndon Atkins

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2012

Barkin Mad wrote:
Dear Barkin Mad:
I have a question regarding how long the neighbors dogs bark? Is it that they just bark a couple of barks when they run out the door for less than a minute or do they bark for 10 to 15 minutes. Is that what is waking you up..? Just asking....Thanks for the info.
Ellen Herndon Atkins

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2012

Stumpy wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Stumpy,
Thanks for this information. I have two Chorkies that live in the house but when let outside - they bark just a few barks - then they do their business. When they are outside, during the day, they enjoy chasing butterflys and birds and they will bark while chasing them. The Nasty Witch next door has complained about these two dogs. To me, this isn't a problem and I can't see where it is breaking the noise ordinance but I want to be a responsible neighbor so I'll try the device.
AJ Mom

Newburg, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

I'm having a hard time finding and getting a copy. What are the specific hours for "daytime" and "night time"? And how many decibels do you suppose a self-propelled lawn mower is? My neighbors feels the need to mow his yard for two hours starting at literally 8 a.m. and it wakes up my little ones before they are ready, thereby robbing me of what little sleep I do get. Not to mention, since they are woken up instead of waking on their own, they are cranky all day! Thanks.
Stumpy wrote:
The new and improved Spotsylvania County Noise Ordinance was approved and is supposed to be protecting your ears. But, is it? Probably not! I live in Lake Wilderness and when I moved in thought that it would be a peaceful place, boy was I wrong. Within a few months people moved in next door to me. I took them a welcome basket and offered any help my family and I could offer. I invited them over for supper, because I know what it is like to move. I was in the military and we moved many times.
In April these neighbors decided that they did not like me -- guess it is because I am short. It started with them turning off their septic pump, so my yard was the dumping ground for their raw sewage, then they decided to encourage their dog to bark for hours on end. Well, I took the high road and rolled with it. Now that the sewage problem did not get me mad enough to “met them out back” and the dog barking only cost me $40 bucks to get a sonic pet trainer, now they beat on drums. The drums beating can start one day at 9:00 AM and go until 7:00 PM the next day it may be 11:00 AM and go to 10:00 PM and this has been going on from 29 May 2010 until today and I have no doubt that it will happen again tomorrow and the day after until the earth stops spinning around the sun. Not just taps and not with any talent, it is much akin to a two-year-old banging mother’s pots and pans on the kitchen floor and at 80 decibels (DB).
Now for the Noise Ordinance and the reason for this posting. I have a copy of the new ordinance, it says that noise must be kept at or below 65 during day time hours and 60 DB at night. Exception, for repetitive noise such as “hammering and Drums” then the person taking the measurement must deduct 5 DB, so the daytime would be 60 and night 55. Spotsylvania’s deputy sheriffs have readers, we the tax payers bought them and they are not cheep. So, what is my issue. Well try to get them to respond to a noise complaint. It is near impossible, the abuser would need to play their music, beat the drums, or nail their nails for hours to allow sufficient time for the Deputy Sheriff to arrive to catch them in the act. And, if they do arrive to catch them in the act, don’t be surprised if the Deputy either does not know about the Ordinance, does not have his meter in the car, the meter has not be calibrated, or they stand and ask you questions so the offender can spot them and stop the activity that is making the noise. After all, I think most of us slow down when we are speeding and spot a policeman. So, why spend the money on the readers, why spend the money on researching noise…..is this such a rich county that we can afford to go thought the drill of developing and printing an Ordinance that will never be more than a dust collector on a desk?
Over the past 60 days I have been told that it is my neighbor’s Constructional Right to beat the drums without limit on the noise. When I showed the officer the Ordinance, then I was told to go to Juvenile Intake and file a complaint. The next officer I had to show the Ordinance to, told me that because noise is a misdemeanor, I needed to go to the Magistrate’s Office and file a complaint. Two other officers did not have meters and the other two had meters that were not calibrated. Ergo, if you expect protection under the new Spotsylvania County Noise Ordinance……….good luck!
tommyg524

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Jose wrote:
In doubt the tapping was compare able to a 80 decibel sound, I'm sure your neighbors have an explanation for these things, have you confronted them about these issues and if so I'm sure they didn't say, "your short we don't like you" your post is obviously biased on your side of the situation. You cannot hold them accountable for their dog barking.
...then why have a noise "ordinance", at all ?
tommyg524

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Berkely Farms Va.,a local (..and apparantly unlicensed motocross track-this according to pre-existing neighbor reports) has been going on since we moved here. When you have 2 cycle engines going ALL DAY long every weekend and after dusk it doesn't matter that you might be several hundred feet away from it, you can still hear it and it becomes irritating. Imagine a bee flying in and out of your ear all day long and you can't swat it. Why have a noise ordinance if the sheriff's dept. wont do anything about it. And even...yes even unlicensed while they are charging the public to come and use their track, as well (again reported by pre-existent neighbors and not verified on my part) encroaching on others properties. Wow. Why is this continually allowed? Oh that's right - the sheriff probably doesnt actually live here in order to personaly enjoy the nuiscance...got it. Having said that, we still would rather live non-HOA, which is essentially just an added burden/cost over and above such similar nuiscances people come up with - HOA or not - so we figure why place yourself at an extra cost to boot . After thought - "Government,the ultimate riddle." Whatever happened to common courtesy ?
spotsy

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

You can download an android appb that will turn your phone into a basic noise meter. May not be admissable in court but would give good background info.
cyn

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Bill wrote:
There's a much simpler and less costly way to enforce a noise ordinance than purchasing meters. Instead of setting a decibel limit, set a maximum distance at which the noise is audible. 50 feet with open windows or doors and 10 feet with closed does the trick, and is easily applied to vehicles and permanent structures.
You are kidding right? My house is 15 feet from my neighbors. When am I supposed to mow
donna

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

i was wondering we live by a church that is going 7 days a week and they play drums and loud music on a loud speaker intercom every day from 5 pm to 10 pm every day the drums and music rattle my house I called several deputies of spotsy and of course we got 1 good deputy out of the bunch who told the church to turn
the stuff down then the other 3 plus a sergeant said they can do what they want really...and shaken my windows an the nonsense music n drums ,what can be done im tired of these so called spotsy sheriff dept not during there job...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Spotsylvania Discussions

Search the Spotsylvania Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
More than 100 Hampton police officers want back... Mon Hamptonian 9
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Jul 6 babyface 2,535
Review: Chambers Training Academy (Dec '13) Jul 3 Sara 3
$100....driver in town for a few hours looking ... Jun 25 driver0323 2
Review: Bailey, Ryan M DDS - Ryan M Bailey DDS (Jun '10) Jun 18 Paininthetooth 7
Ken Tyler Jun 13 Woodrow George 1
Moving to Fredericksburg , VA Jun 13 Sunshine 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Spotsylvania Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Spotsylvania People Search