Considering relocation to Spokane. What's it like there?

Posted in the Spokane Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wanderlust

Dallas, OR

#1 Feb 6, 2007
We've had about enough of the insane and extreme growth in Southern Oregon and we're looking for a new home. Tell us all about Spokane. What do you love about it and what do you hate? Climate, growth, quality of life, fun, outdoor recreation? Give us the good, bad and ugly. Thanks!
Sharroni

Spokane, WA

#2 Jul 15, 2007
I have live here 40 years and I can give you the good, bad and the ugly. Spokane is growing like crazy too. OK heres the good. We have a four season Climate. Not too much of anything and most of the time just the right balance in the weather. Not too much rain, not too hot (usually) not too cold in the winter, Beautiful falls and springs, Lots and Lots of any kind of recreation you can think of. I love it that you can drive out of Spokane and be in the county in minutes. but people are moving everwhere and developments are springing up like weeds in a field. I think our crime rate is bad but it depends on where you live. Its bad compared to when I moved here 40 years ago. At that time everyone knew thier meighbors and no one locked their doors. If I were moving here, I would move to a small town close to but not in Spokane like Colville, Cheney or Medical Lake. We just bought 5 acres in Valley Wash, were there are four small lakes, mountains, rivers, a huge valley, surrounded by mountains and covered by cattle farms, miles and miles apart. We paid 79,000 for the land with a P, W, and septic. Mostly treed with a 12 mile lake association package. Recently I drove to Deer Park, another neat little town north of Spokane and was shocked to see houses all the way from Spokane to Deer Park. Another beautiful area is Metaline Falls and Ione. I love Ione. My husband is from Portland and theres no way he would ever go back. It is scarey to tell you this because I don't want people all over the country reading this and moving here. Probably the things that bother me the most are the homeless people and drug users on the streets. When there are drug users there is crime. I wouldn't live on the northside in the NorthTown area. Also if I could move any where I would move to Missoula Montana, or any where in Western Montana. Just take a drive from Spokane to Missoula and the farther east you go the more beautiful it is. Good Luck!
Arroyoribera

Spokane, WA

#3 Jul 23, 2007
Born in Spokane and lived here coming and going for 49 years.

1) Police accountability and brutality scandal.

2) Sole source aquifer recently contaminated by Burlington Northern refueling station.

3) 82 nuclear weapons at Fairchild AFB, on west edge of town.

4) CIA/military training facility where U.S. torture techniques were refined for Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo.

5) Insane and extreme development north, south, east and west resulting in significant traffic problems and rapidly declining quality of life.

6) Racist history and current lack of diversity.

7) Politically very conservative.

8) Anti-intellectual environment.

9) A freeway runs through it east and west and soon one will run through it north and south.

10) Used as a trial market for all manner of stores and products, in particular fast food.

11) Primary east/west thoroughfare is a extensive used car lot.

12) A shocking history of serial killers and sex crimes.

13) A major Catholic Church sex abuse scandal and cover-up.

14) Unholy alliance of interests from the old Cowles family money (owners of this one-paper town's one paper) to new money interests for the purpose of displacing the poor and "renewing" downtown.

15) Rapidly rising cost of living.

16) Extreme summer heat accompanied by very long, grey, cold winters

Since: May 07

Spokane, WA

#4 Jul 27, 2007
Whatever! Spokane is a great place to raise a family. With the real estate the way it is, it is a buyers market. There are tons of houses to chose from, so you should be able to get a fairly good deal. The schools are pretty decent. I would try for the North side and to be in the Mead district! The person above paints a bad picture, but coming from the Seattle area 15 years ago, I think Spokane is a dream. The traffic is better. The weather is better, the cost of living is rising, but then again where isn't it? As far as diversity goes, I think it is a pretty diverse area considering the size of the city. There is a lot of lakes around so if you enjoy camping, boating, fishing or swimming, you'll like it. I guess it just depends on your age and what your looking for, if your younger it may seem a little boring, coming from the city. If you are looking for a great place to raise a family and already have a job lines up, I think it's a good place to consider!

“im just me , no more , no less”

Since: Jul 07

Martinez Ca ~ Now in WA

#5 Jul 30, 2007
Arroyoribera wrote:
Born in Spokane and lived here coming and going for 49 years.
1) Police accountability and brutality scandal.
2) Sole source aquifer recently contaminated by Burlington Northern refueling station.
3) 82 nuclear weapons at Fairchild AFB, on west edge of town.
4) CIA/military training facility where U.S. torture techniques were refined for Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo.
5) Insane and extreme development north, south, east and west resulting in significant traffic problems and rapidly declining quality of life.
6) Racist history and current lack of diversity.
7) Politically very conservative.
8) Anti-intellectual environment.
9) A freeway runs through it east and west and soon one will run through it north and south.
10) Used as a trial market for all manner of stores and products, in particular fast food.
11) Primary east/west thoroughfare is a extensive used car lot.
12) A shocking history of serial killers and sex crimes.
13) A major Catholic Church sex abuse scandal and cover-up.
14) Unholy alliance of interests from the old Cowles family money (owners of this one-paper town's one paper) to new money interests for the purpose of displacing the poor and "renewing" downtown.
15) Rapidly rising cost of living.
16) Extreme summer heat accompanied by very long, grey, cold winters
LOL wow the anger , you should really seek some attention for that or at your age your gonna have a heart attack .....
Having moved here 6 years ago from cali where i was born and raised ... knowing a large portion of the proffesional community and non alike i have a few comments on this LOL

as for the list ..

1.... yes and no, anywhere you go there are good cops and bad, here they are just more bored then the rest and a bit more jumpy to over charge the inocent and back down on the real criminals , most of them are scared little boys with guns , bad idea

2.... blah blah blah.. the water is fine , better then most places

3..... FAFB is an awsome place to have close by , atleast we know we got back up anything ever does happen , and most of the families you meet from there are very nice

4... YOU NEED TO STOP BELIEVING EVERYTHING YOU READ and stop reading fiction LOL

5..& 15.. if thats so true why is real estate at an all time low in the county??? hmmmmm .. i have acreage 5 minutes from the mall , cheapest cost of living i've seen without being an omish !!@!

6 and 7 .... grow up , your sheltered just cause we arent in SF

8.... your the only proof of that
9-10.... no worse then anywhere else , way better actually , try driving in the bay area in commute... you'll beg to be here

11...... what do you want dirt roads so you can complain about the dust

12.... we get 1 damn nasty freak and now theres a shocking history? history has to have events that resemble eachother to even claim it being as such and shocking
13...... its the church not the town... everywhere is dealing with the sicko's from that

14.... 15...16...

we have all 4 seasons which is great if you enjoy outdoors , for delusional psycho people its best to stay in your padded room and close your eyes ... otherwise nice warm summers with 100 lakes withing driving , lots of snow for winter sports and beautiful colors in the spring and fall, my kids LOVE it here.... the crime is yes growing compared to say 50 years ago... however its not any worse then what you will find in most of the US and much less then most places.... stay out of spraugue area , which is a bit yuck but more dirty then anything...

enjoy and im sure you'll see the reason there are so many inplants from others states here...

the one big thing that i would complain on is the child welfare here is in need of revamping , there system is failing the kids seriously , recent events though seem to have brought light to it and hopefully that will change ...

Since: May 07

Spokane, WA

#6 Jul 30, 2007
Tabby wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL wow the anger , you should really seek some attention for that or at your age your gonna have a heart attack .....
Having moved here 6 years ago from cali where i was born and raised ... knowing a large portion of the proffesional community and non alike i have a few comments on this LOL
as for the list ..
1.... yes and no, anywhere you go there are good cops and bad, here they are just more bored then the rest and a bit more jumpy to over charge the inocent and back down on the real criminals , most of them are scared little boys with guns , bad idea
2.... blah blah blah.. the water is fine , better then most places
3..... FAFB is an awsome place to have close by , atleast we know we got back up anything ever does happen , and most of the families you meet from there are very nice
4... YOU NEED TO STOP BELIEVING EVERYTHING YOU READ and stop reading fiction LOL
5..& 15.. if thats so true why is real estate at an all time low in the county??? hmmmmm .. i have acreage 5 minutes from the mall , cheapest cost of living i've seen without being an omish !!@!
6 and 7 .... grow up , your sheltered just cause we arent in SF
8.... your the only proof of that
9-10.... no worse then anywhere else , way better actually , try driving in the bay area in commute... you'll beg to be here
11...... what do you want dirt roads so you can complain about the dust
12.... we get 1 damn nasty freak and now theres a shocking history? history has to have events that resemble eachother to even claim it being as such and shocking
13...... its the church not the town... everywhere is dealing with the sicko's from that
14.... 15...16...
we have all 4 seasons which is great if you enjoy outdoors , for delusional psycho people its best to stay in your padded room and close your eyes ... otherwise nice warm summers with 100 lakes withing driving , lots of snow for winter sports and beautiful colors in the spring and fall, my kids LOVE it here.... the crime is yes growing compared to say 50 years ago... however its not any worse then what you will find in most of the US and much less then most places.... stay out of spraugue area , which is a bit yuck but more dirty then anything...
enjoy and im sure you'll see the reason there are so many inplants from others states here...
the one big thing that i would complain on is the child welfare here is in need of revamping , there system is failing the kids seriously , recent events though seem to have brought light to it and hopefully that will change ...
Hi Tabby. I agree with what you have to say! I really enjoy living here. I am an original california transplant as well. So Cal. San Diego! 6 years heh? I moved to Washington in 77. I moved back to Cali for a few years in the late 80's. It is sooo much better here, I do miss the beaches though! Welcome to Spokane, even if it is 6 years late! lol!
Oh Yeah

Seattle, WA

#7 Aug 3, 2007
Spokane is a nice place to live!
Chale

Spokane, WA

#8 Aug 4, 2007
leaving asap

Spokane, WA

#9 Aug 30, 2007
I moved here after ten years in Seattle & I must say this place is a pit. Nice people for the most part but absolutely nothing to do if you enjoy music & the arts. Outdoor rec. is really nice, this summer wasn't very hot so if you have the time, lots of fishing & golf. With the exception of real estate not much cheaper than Seattle. Not a great place to be single but I could see raising a family here.
Gypsy doggies

Mesa, AZ

#10 May 28, 2012
Well, I too am looking at Spokane. Having lived in numerous locations around the U.S.,it seems as though the entire country has lost a lot of its spirit and identity during this recession and since 9/11, although I still have hope for the future.

As I get older, I don't need as much excitement, but I would like to be around at least a fair amount of creativity, intellect, civility and appreciation for arts and culture. Does Spokane have too little of this to even consider, or would I be pleasantly surprised?
igor

Spokane, WA

#11 Jun 5, 2012
i live in spokane,, stay away from spokane,, crappy job market, sure cost of living is low bugt it's for a reason. it's a manufacturing economy, so this is our little chunk of the rust belt people complain about. noting to do, crappy winter weather, and we have a lot of property crime. stay away people!!!!
Student

Prince Albert, Canada

#12 Jun 7, 2012
What were the people like back in the day were they nice or mean?'m a student investigating this for a class assignment. Any bit of infromation would help. Whats the history like..
Nick

Concord, CA

#13 Aug 7, 2012
Tabby wrote:
2.... blah blah blah.. the water is fine , better then most places
That's right, ignore any evidence that all is not perfect. Probably a Republican who never cared much about water or air quality to begin with. Intelligent people should Google these keywords:

Spokane aquifer diesel fuel leak Burlington Northern refueling station
Nick

Concord, CA

#14 Aug 7, 2012
Gypsy doggies wrote:
Well, I too am looking at Spokane. Having lived in numerous locations around the U.S.,it seems as though the entire country has lost a lot of its spirit and identity during this recession and since 9/11, although I still have hope for the future.
As I get older, I don't need as much excitement, but I would like to be around at least a fair amount of creativity, intellect, civility and appreciation for arts and culture. Does Spokane have too little of this to even consider, or would I be pleasantly surprised?
In general, the more heavily conservative an area is, the less intellect you'll find by default. They tend suffer from a malady that's been called the Dunning Kruger Effect (they think they know a lot more than they really do, and they don't budge on it).

That's been my big reservation about Spokane, though the people have seemed "nice" enough during various visits. Once you get past the superficial aspects you learn what they're really about. That takes time, or the ability to glean good info from anecdotes.

“I will gladly pay you Tuesday”

Since: Jul 12

for a hamburger today.

#15 Aug 8, 2012
If anyone wants a clue about Spokane check this site out.

http://www.spokanesucks.com/
Cervelo

El Dorado Hills, CA

#16 Aug 8, 2012
Nick wrote:
<quoted text>
In general, the more heavily conservative an area is, the less intellect you'll find by default. They tend suffer from a malady that's been called the Dunning Kruger Effect (they think they know a lot more than they really do, and they don't budge on it).
That's been my big reservation about Spokane, though the people have seemed "nice" enough during various visits. Once you get past the superficial aspects you learn what they're really about. That takes time, or the ability to glean good info from anecdotes.
Oh god,( sorry, anathema to you I know) another self-righteous, condescending liberal who thinks he/she is some intellectual heavyweight. At least your post above proves you have a sense of irony. What really makes me grin, is when I see the standard, garden variety liberal, happily putting down the road in his bumper sticker laden Prius, and then I see it.........the Darwin-eats-Jesus bumper sticker. The poor fool driving along, enjoying his intellectual, and moral superiority, never quite catching on to the fact that Darwinism was survival of the fittest. That would be the antithesis of the equality, and embarrassingly ironic.

Maybe you can glean something more interesting from MSNBC next time. Perhaps at least, something that better demonstrates that finely honed intellect of yours.
Alatina
#17 Aug 16, 2012
Gypsy doggies wrote:
Well, I too am looking at Spokane. Having lived in numerous locations around the U.S.,it seems as though the entire country has lost a lot of its spirit and identity during this recession and since 9/11, although I still have hope for the future.
As I get older, I don't need as much excitement, but I would like to be around at least a fair amount of creativity, intellect, civility and appreciation for arts and culture. Does Spokane have too little of this to even consider, or would I be pleasantly surprised?
Did you in up moving to Washington? if so, which area did you pick?
VeganTiger

Spokane, WA

#18 Aug 16, 2012
Spokane is great place to live. I moved here three years ago and has never looked back. If you have a family this is a GREAT place to raise one.

*Even the publc schools supposedly will teach their kids to read before they graduate from college.

*Safe city. It got it's crooks and intruders, but if peopel just started using the second more I think we would get rid of such garbage fast enough.

*IF you are single lots of hot women around that take good cre of themselves.

*Mostly people are not nosy into others affairs here. I definately think there is a strong liberal/libertarian streak in Spokane despite the mayor having an R behind his name.

*Awesome city workers and I am a very small govnermnet guy, but I really and sincerely think the city worers of Spokane are great. Thanks for keep all the parks in such a great shape....

*Idaho and Montana is close bye if you need to hike, disappear in the wilderness, go skiing or so on. Cour D' Alene in itself is a jewel.

*Seattle is not THAT far away if you wanna go wild in a big city.

*Very many great grocery stores that actually sell GOOD food. Exampes of Rosaurs, HUckleberries and Fred Mayer for starters.

*Lots of great sports to watch and play. Several great gyms and personal trainers around (like me, LOL).

*Very tolerant city and I see very little intolerance hate or such stuff. I am with lots of "people of color" (like the democrats like to say) and they all think Spokane as very little racism.

*If you're into biking, lotsa biker clubs around.

*Mt Spokane is close by for a little day trip in the high.

*Lots of brainpower in the city. Great higher institutions of learning. Gonzaga has law school and a medical school will soon be established here for full. Community colleges are good here, bioth SCC and SFCC

*Very high level medical community. Sacred Heart is now number three in nation with heart transplants for example.

Finally, for some reason I find most people I meet and talk with never take themselves to seriously or think they are the shi*, even if they are... Even hard-core liberals in SPokane are actually not outright hateful towards others, IMHO.

Overall, I reccommend the city. Too bad Washington is getting dragged down in the mud with all the people from CA and other liberal states that take their leftist attitudes with them and expect the free lunch to continue.
If you come here to leech, you are not welcome, but otherwise you are MOST elcome ;)
mcmc

Euless, TX

#19 Nov 15, 2012
We are looking to relocate to the Spokane area, but do not want to be in town or near the air force base and airport. If anyone lives near Cheney can you hear the jets and such from the base? How far is far enough away to not have that interfere with our peace and quiet? What are their flight patterns? Is it possible to be away from jet noise? Where should I focus to look for houses if we want a quiet country setting, privacy, and beauty?

“I will gladly pay you Tuesday”

Since: Jul 12

for a hamburger today.

#20 Dec 1, 2012
mcmc wrote:
We are looking to relocate to the Spokane area, but do not want to be in town or near the air force base and airport. If anyone lives near Cheney can you hear the jets and such from the base? How far is far enough away to not have that interfere with our peace and quiet? What are their flight patterns? Is it possible to be away from jet noise? Where should I focus to look for houses if we want a quiet country setting, privacy, and beauty?
North of town. Towards Deer Park is nice quiet areas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spokane Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I am trying to find some H 19 min Homegrown77 2
Russians and Ukranians in Spokane, WA 3 hr Homegrown77 3
How's the Black Situation in Spokane 3 hr Homegrown77 2
News So. Idaho county bans residents from owning Pit... (Apr '07) Fri Crassus 75
News Developer Harlin Douglass arrested for courthou... Apr 17 Kurtz 1
Spokane community detox center Apr 11 mark moses 2
News Concealed weapons law costing Idaho colleges $3... Mar 30 The real zeke 53
More from around the web

Spokane People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]