Teen fatally shot after wounding officer

Teen fatally shot after wounding officer

There are 251 comments on the Baltimoresun.com story from Jan 20, 2007, titled Teen fatally shot after wounding officer. In it, Baltimoresun.com reports that:

A Montgomery County police officer shot and killed a teenage suspect at a park-and-ride lot in Burtonsville yesterday after the youth allegedly approached another officer and shot him in the shoulder.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimoresun.com.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
unknown

Greenwood, IN

#1 Jan 20, 2007
i still think that the police officer shouldnt have killed Marquies Dajour Timberlake. Even though he shoot him. That was wrong. I see that the police has the right to shoot back, but you are not suppose to kill him.
Gordon Leitch

United States

#2 Jan 21, 2007
Actually police are trained to shoot to kill. There is NO WAY to shoot to do anything less when the sh*t hits the fan. And in this case, the officer should have killed Timberlake BEFORE he was wounded. I am a former officer and know that police do sometimes over-react, but in this case the officer was 100% correct. One less scumbag on the street. And what problem does "unknown" have?
swf

Bethesda, MD

#3 Jan 22, 2007
TELL ME - ARE YOUR CHILDREN OR CHILDREN IN YOUR FAMILY ALL SCUMBAGS....THE ANSWER IS ABSOLUTELY NOT.... YOU MAY HAVE SOME WALKING THE SAME WALK AS MARQUIS.... ON THE WRONG STREET AND WHO KNOWS HOW THEY GOT THERE.... USUALLY YOU CAN LOOK IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD OF THE FAMILY AND FIGURE THAT... MARQUIS WAS NOT A SCUMBAG - JUST ANOTHER YOUNG BROTHER GONE WRONG...AND NOW WITHOUT A CHANCE TO GO RIGHT; AND I AM CERTAIN HIS PARENTS AND FAMILY WISH THEY HAD DONE THINGS DIFFERENTLY. I AM GLAD YOU ARE NO LONGER A POLICE OFFICER WITH THAT ATTITUDE...KILLING OBVIOUSLY COMES TO EASY FOR YOU...PERHAPS IF YOU WEREN'T IN UNIFORM.... YOU MAY VERYWELL HAVE BEEN AS YOU WOULD SAY "A SCUMBAG" TOO....WITH THAT RAW-DARK AND DIRTY ATTITUDE.
Gordon Leitch wrote:
Actually police are trained to shoot to kill. There is NO WAY to shoot to do anything less when the sh*t hits the fan. And in this case, the officer should have killed Timberlake BEFORE he was wounded. I am a former officer and know that police do sometimes over-react, but in this case the officer was 100% correct. One less scumbag on the street. And what problem does "unknown" have?
Seon Price

Woodbridge, VA

#4 Jan 22, 2007
In response to Fmr. Officer Leitch's comment, you should've been killed on the job, then disscusion boards wouldn't have input from you faggots aka police. And it's not all police, just your kind, that probally was picked on in school by kids like Timberlake,R.I.P. Leitch, your oppinion sucks as much as ur wife :-)
Voice of Moderation

Bristow, VA

#5 Jan 22, 2007
If you read the early stories about this incident in the Sun and the Post, they differ greatly in describing the circumstances surrounding the shooting. Hopefully the truth will come out in the weeks to come, but regardless of whether you think Timberlake was a "scumbag" or that police officers are "faggots", I think everyone agrees that it's sad that a 16-year old died last week because he was involved in some way with illegal drugs. There are so many positive things to do with your life, it's a shame that drugs still attract so many young people and that police officers have to risk their lives on a daily basis to help keep more young people from getting caught in that dead-end culture. This comes from a former drug user who knows someone who knew Timberlake in school. Very sad...
CTC from PG County

Ypsilanti, MI

#6 Jan 22, 2007
Everyone has something to say, but no one knows the truth about what happened. We first need to understand that this was someone's child and we should be praying for the parents and the strength for them put their 16 year old child in the ground.
I have known Marquese since he was a baby, he was an artist, very smart child, and most of all very loving. Everyone is so quick to judge, but take a look at your own family Gordon and see how many thugs are at your family reunion.
Citizen

Alexandria, VA

#7 Jan 22, 2007
Let’s see the kid has pictures of himself on his my space pages with guns. "HE" states that he is in a gang and that they rob people. Everyone should stop blaming the police and blame the kid himself or the parents / family. The police, teachers, government, society, etc did not put the drugs or guns in that kids hand. The police (everyone else too) did not tell him to rob, shoot and then violently assault the officer while he lay wounded on the ground. They went out that day to rob and kill someone. The kid brought along a gun or “hammer” as they called it to take care of business. Instead of them trying to rob and kill an ordinary citizen it turned out to be a police officer. Family, friends and parents ALWAYS blame someone else when they are to blame. He is a 16yo that has dropped out of school. If he was in school he would have not been involved in this incident. Why do parents, friends and family always have to blame others for their poor parental skills and there faults. My question is how many innocent people did this criminal hurt before this incident? The news reported that Timberlake had been arrested before for numerous robberies and burglaries. Sounds like it was not his first brush with the law and now it was his last. Quit blaming the police ever time they are forced to protect themselves, other innocent citizens and use force because some criminal forces them to. He shot first and forced the police’s hands to protect themselves and other citizens that were nearby. What else would the kid done with a loaded gun to escape arrest?
swf

Bethesda, MD

#8 Jan 23, 2007
Dear Citizen,

I don't think anyone is blaming the police. The police comments are very negative and that is NOT the way it should be. We all know of or have read of someone's daughter/son going wrong, whether it be the fault of the family, society...who knows. This law officer's attitude is one that could ruin another child. I don't see any blame or pointing of fingers toward the officers here. Perhaps he could have shot to stop him and maybe not - and I am more than certain that the family is taking a GOOD look at themselves. Will this be enough to change what is necessary within themselves so as to save the rest of the youth in that family. The only person we can change is ourselves and no one else. I hope that the family does what iat has to do to end the curse upon their family line; and I sincerely hope the police officer looks at the ugliness within himself to think of anyone (NO MATTER HOW THEY GOT THERE) as a scumbag....it could have been him... You do reap what you so Officer Leitch - just as Mr. Timberlake did - so will you....Prayers should go out for everyone - the fallen officer in trying to product our communities and the family of Mr. Timberlake and those parents/family who wished they would have walked another way....

LET'S FOCUS ON SAVING - stop pointing the finger.... let's all get a mirror...we all NEED IMPROVEMENT
dimediva_202

United States

#9 Jan 25, 2007
YO 4REAL F*** THE POLICE INCLUDING MR GORDON. MARQUESE WAS A FRIEND OF MINE SINCE BACK AT BANNEKER MIDDLE SCHOOL IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT WAS GOING ON ITS STILL SAD TO SEE ONE OF YOUR FRIENDS GO LIKE THAT SO FOR YOU TO JUST SIT UP HERE AND SAY HES ANOTHER SCUMBAG YOU SOUND IGNORANT WHAT IF THAT WAS YOUR CHILD OR ONE YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS YOU WOULDNT WANT NOBODY DISRESPECTING THEM LIKE THAT! REGARDLESS THAT HE WAS IN A GANG AND WAS SELLING DRUGS THAS STILL F***** UP THAT HES DEAD I MEAN MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE OTHER POLICE OFFICER AND HIS FAMILY BUT 4 YOU TO SIT UP HERE AND SAY THAT IS ALSO F***** UP MARQUESE WAS A GOOD PERSON YALL UP HERE SAYING HE DROPPED OUT OF SCHOOL AND HOW MANY PPL HAS HE HURT BEFORE HE DIED ALL THAT S*** DONT EVEN MATTER CUZ HES WALKING IN HEAVEN LOOKING DOWN ON US LIKE I SAID F*** THE POLICE THAT DONT GIVE A DAMN LIKE YOUR COLD HEARTED ASS GORDON R.I.P. TO MY HOMEBOY MARQUESE YOU WILL BE MISSED AND NEVER FORGOTTON!!!
lookin_withingod seyes

Chesterfield, MO

#10 Jan 26, 2007
Mr. Gordon actually let me take that back I don't think you even deserve to be called "MR." instead of being negative you should be alittle more respectful to God's children because afterall he is a child of God and regardless he has a spot in eternity with the all mighty himself! now you, you might want to be alittle worried about having a spot with your name on it,don't be to quick to pass judgement without the facts "God don't like Ugly" and for whoever reads this by that statement
you should know who I am (KAP)
unknown

Greenwood, IN

#11 Jan 27, 2007
I AGREE WITH THIS STATMENT CUZ I KNEW HIM SINE ELM. AND ITZ A SHAME TO SEE ANOTHER CLOSE FRIND GO AWAY LIKE THAT.MARQUESE WAS A GOOD PERSON, AND ALL YALL TALKIN ABOUT IS A POLICE OFFICER GOT SHOOT, POLICE THIS POLICE THAT. THERE WAS A CHILD, A TEENAGER THAT GOT SHOOT, AND YALL DONT REALLY CARE. HE WAS LOVED BY MANY HATED BY FEW. BUT WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE HIM. AT SPRINGBROOK HIGH SCHOOL ON 1/26/07 MY PRINCIPLE WAS TALKING ABOUT THE SITUTION AND HE DIDNT CARE ABOUT HIM, HE WAS LIKE FOR THE YOUNG MAN THAT DIED, BLAH BLAH BLAH. THAT ISNT FAIR. THAT IS WRONG AND MARQUESE NEEEDS TO BE HEARD.. AND ANOTHER THING AT MY SCHOOL ONE OF MY FRIENDS WORE A T-SHIRT THAT SAID R.I.P MARQESE TIMBERLAKE, AND HE MADE HIM TAKE IT OFF.. THAT IS WRONG AND NOT FAIR. I THINK NO ONE IS TRYING TO DO ANYTHING FOR HIM, BUT WE, US THE FRIENDS AND FAMILY ARE GOING TO DO SOMETHING THIS IS CRAZY. I HOPE YALL UNDERSTAND WHERE WE COME FROM, CUZ RIGHT NOW YALL NOT. YALL NEED TO STOP THINKIN YALL HAVE A LL THE ANSWERS TO THE WORLD BUT YALL DONT. TO TALKING AND LISTEN. R.I.P MARQESE.. I LOVE YOU.. AND WILL ALWAYS. YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!
dimediva_202 wrote:
YO 4REAL F*** THE POLICE INCLUDING MR GORDON. MARQUESE WAS A FRIEND OF MINE SINCE BACK AT BANNEKER MIDDLE SCHOOL IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT WAS GOING ON ITS STILL SAD TO SEE ONE OF YOUR FRIENDS GO LIKE THAT SO FOR YOU TO JUST SIT UP HERE AND SAY HES ANOTHER SCUMBAG YOU SOUND IGNORANT WHAT IF THAT WAS YOUR CHILD OR ONE YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS YOU WOULDNT WANT NOBODY DISRESPECTING THEM LIKE THAT! REGARDLESS THAT HE WAS IN A GANG AND WAS SELLING DRUGS THAS STILL F***** UP THAT HES DEAD I MEAN MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE OTHER POLICE OFFICER AND HIS FAMILY BUT 4 YOU TO SIT UP HERE AND SAY THAT IS ALSO F***** UP MARQUESE WAS A GOOD PERSON YALL UP HERE SAYING HE DROPPED OUT OF SCHOOL AND HOW MANY PPL HAS HE HURT BEFORE HE DIED ALL THAT S*** DONT EVEN MATTER CUZ HES WALKING IN HEAVEN LOOKING DOWN ON US LIKE I SAID F*** THE POLICE THAT DONT GIVE A DAMN LIKE YOUR COLD HEARTED ASS GORDON R.I.P. TO MY HOMEBOY MARQUESE YOU WILL BE MISSED AND NEVER FORGOTTON!!!
Glamorus

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Jan 29, 2007
Well about this whole situation I remember him from middle school and his smile lite up a whole room. Of course what he did with the selling of drugs and the gun possesion is wrong but i mean still he's a teenager, if the police knew that he was dealing with drugs and whatnot before this incident they should've dealt with it and maybe all of this wouldn't have happened. My prayers go out to Marquese and the police officer that died. Can the people of America please stop all of this gang violence especially this incident happening in my area of Burtonsville where nothing eve happens has happened...it's truly sad and it needs to be dealt with. R.I.P Marquese Timberlake!
swf

Bethesda, MD

#13 Jan 31, 2007
Don't know who you are KAP - but you are speaking the truth....and that's what we all need to hear.... thanks for the message
swf

Bethesda, MD

#14 Jan 31, 2007
To Glamorous - Just to keep the facts straight. I don't believe the police officer died. I am so glad to hear from his peers.... you're speaking up and keep talking - talk so the world will listen....
lookin_withingod seyes

Chesterfield, MO

#15 Jan 31, 2007
It's amazing how the media had to blow this up and paint this HORRIBLE picture of this "baby" because that's exactly what he was a BABY.They made him seem like he was so dangerous, so BIG to justify the rightfulness of him being shot! they had to paint a awful picture of him for the public let them tell it he was a gang member because he threw up signs symbolizing a gang sign in a photo young guys pose like that everyday including most of our CELEBRITY rappers that doesnt mean they are included in a gang environment.They out here setting up a sting operation to catch a 16yr.old when you got BIG BIG dealers they need to be out here setting up shop on, you got pedaphiles people who murder children violently children that are getting abducted they need to be spending more time
on those cases.Police officers are trained to disable the person so that they are no longer a threat not to shoot to kill a person so they wont get away whatever happen to shooting them in a leg so they cant run there was better way for him to disable the young man ,they just chose to take another young black man out this world thats all because so many of them get away with it because of the power they have. But in the end only one man can have all the power and thats "GOD" so he has to answer to that when its his time to pass thru them pearly white gates!
Nichelle

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Feb 1, 2007
Gordon Leitch wrote:
Don't you think the word "scumbag" is a bit harsh? How dare you. Timberlake was only a child. He was a baby. He was talented and smart. You knew nothing about him. He was capable of much more than the petty crime he was MURDERED for! Sadly the world will never know how beautiful he really was.
Trina

Chicago, IL

#17 Feb 2, 2007
I used to babysit Marquese and his brother when they were in elementary and middle school and he definitely wasn't a scumbag. I think that it is very insensitive of the former officer to say that. All you know about him is what was said in the media but they can't even begin to tell you what kind of kid he really was. His smile could light up a room alone and he had a lot of love for those around him. Yes he may have made some negative choices but everyone does at some point. No one is perfect and Marquese certainly wasn't but he was still a joy to be around and it's very sad and unfortunate that something like this happened. I am not in any way defending his actions but I think that the situation could have been handled a little differently so that the life of a 16 year old kid, who just happen to fall off track, could have been saved. My heart goes out to his mom and the rest of his family because it is always harder to accept death when it happens so tragically. I hope he is resting in peace.
Saddened

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Feb 5, 2007
I didn't know Marquese, his family or his friends, but my heart goes out to them. I wouldn't wish their pain on anybody.

Unfortunately, Marquese decided to sell or to pretend to sell drugs. Marquese decided to carry a gun. And Marquese decided to use that gun. If he had changed any one of those decisions, he would probably be alive today. That's what is so sad. A 16 year old shouldn't be making those decisions, in fact, can't make those decisions wisely. And while this was probably only a small part of who he was, it cost him his life.

Because of the way violence can be portrayed on TV, in movies and video games, many people have the misconceived notion that somebody using a gun can shoot to wound. That is wrong. Whether you are a cop, in the military or otherwise trained in firearms, the only time you fire a weapon at somebody is to kill them. Period.

Don't be angry with the cops. Don't be angry with Marquese. Be angry that a young life was cut way too short. And then do something to help prevent it from happening to somebody else.
alexis

Rockville, MD

#21 Feb 6, 2007
i, mean marquese and mi friend use to talk.. and ertime i ssen him he always playiin around and havinng fun... i mean he was only 16 ... and didn't live lonnngggg and just caus ehe shot tha white under cover polic e officer( wihch he didn't die .. u should hasd never sott he to tha point that he had to die.. i meannn damn uu i miiss that boiii so fuckkiinn gg mucchh dawg iwent to his furneal and shit (open cascate him laying there like he was slleppp.. like it wass sooo sad and scarry i jsutt kepppt starriinngg and cryyiinn.. i was like another gone so quickk. and wasss(alieve ) just the other day he wass awake going to schhool having fun and making ppl lauugghh an dnow hes just gone now lookkkiinn up on u s when he's in heaven... and his sonn willl knever remember his dad just that he was a great and lovely father and funninn and always making ppl laugh i .. mean he takes thingss ercious... but yea h....................R.I.P MARQUESE TIMBERLAKE 5-25-1990 ..TO1-19-2007
pbj

Silver Spring, MD

#22 Feb 8, 2007
well marquese went to my school and wut da cop did wuz mest up yeah marquese was selling drugs and had possesion of a weapon but i've benn shot before and i shot da other guy in his leg i didn't try to kill him but i was arrested for posseion marquese and he didn't deserve to died like this he left his family his girl his friends and most of all his mother. f**k montgomery police and R.I.P marquese

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spencerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Naked man climbs on fire truck, arrested (May '13) Feb '17 Fireman Phart 7
News Police: Swastikas, - racist' spray-painted on c... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Swilliamsloans 1
News Woman groped in Georgetown, suspect is arrested (Sep '16) Sep '16 Amn 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) May '16 American 8
Robin Hood Pool (Jun '15) Jun '15 Huskyfan 1
New Office Space in Empty Lot (Mar '15) Mar '15 brook 5
News Ananda makes GQ's list of 25 best American new ... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Calvin 1

Spencerville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spencerville Mortgages