Murder conviction overturned, Betty Tyson arrested for petit larceny

Sep 13, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Democrat & Chronicle

Betty Tyson, who spent 25 years in prison for murder before having the her conviction overturned in 1998, was charged with petit larceny in Greece last month, accused of stealing $32.50 worth of items from a local grocery store.

Comments
41 - 56 of 56 Comments Last updated Dec 29, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2011

thats funny, you hijacking forum names again....Gee like no one knows that it's you you IDIOT.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2011

Crime_Dog wrote:
<quoted text>That's funny, a line of crack...dunbarse.
Why don't register your name so noone can copy it Rhondo,slammer,bigstupid or what ever the hell you call yourself?

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2011

my name is registered, they can steal it but that can't duplicate the avatar

Since: Sep 10

Geneva, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2011

Judged:

That bitch is ugly as sin!
Wow

Endicott, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2011

Crime_Dog wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry Rhonda, I'm a complete moran, wannbe crime fighter. I recently got fired from my parking monitor job at the U of R.....I was so close to being a Blue Shirt. Any ways, I've never taken a single Criminal Justice class. Otherwise I would know that there was no physical or circumstantial evidence linking Tyson to the murder. The evidence and witness statements the prosecution did have pointed to someone else committing this crime. But I'm a doocusebag, we run off at the mouth about crap we know little or nothing about cause that's what doocusebag's do.
What is a moran??????
What is a wannbe?????
What is a doocusebag????? Oh yeah rhon-DUH!
K Cornell

Webster, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2011

Crime_Dog wrote:
She was awarded the money in a lawsuit against the Rochester Police Department for withholding evidence at her trial.
Guess you can't take the ghetto out them after all.
hey, it is nice to see the thin blue line on here, thought I was the only one.

Right on crime dog!
Novella

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

CrackHead wrote:
She spent time in jail for grand theft before committing that murder..
And now she’s stealing again. Typical trash.
Whoever gave her $1.25 Million should be shot. How freaking stupid.
Lock this felon up.
Watch your mouth about her. She has ben through a lot ! Unless you know her story please have a seat. Dont judge her by what you read. This is my aunt and im not going to let anyone talk bad ABOUT her. SO PLEASE WATCH YOUR MOUTH ABOUT HER!
Novella

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

Iknowthings727 wrote:
That bitch is ugly as sin!
Watch your mouth about her ! Dont talk about her! I bet money You ugly as shit ! Keep mean comments to yourself ! THANKS
Steel City Steelers

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Judged:

Novella wrote:
<quoted text> Watch your mouth about her. She has ben through a lot ! Unless you know her story please have a seat. Dont judge her by what you read. This is my aunt and im not going to let anyone talk bad ABOUT her. SO PLEASE WATCH YOUR MOUTH ABOUT HER!
Or WHAT? What are you going to do??? Empty threats get you nowhere deary.
Stoop It Steal Sit Tea

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

Steel City Steelers wrote:
<quoted text>Or WHAT? What are you going to do??? Empty threats get you nowhere deary.
a keyboard bully-LOL^^^^^^^SMH!!!
You gon' learn, you gon' learn, you gon' learn.

Just don't know when to keep your TRAP shut and mind you Business!
mo-mo

New Port Richey, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2013

wow...just watched this "joke" on tv....as she still sits there and talks all that bs, how she never did the crime! Really!!!!
Loislane

Poughkeepsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Judged:

bigsingle wrote:
It's about time you brought this story to a head: She is an abusive bitch who beats her gay lover all the time. SHE HAD 1.25 MILLION FROM THE STATE OF NY AND SHE IS STEALING IN WALMART? I FOLLOWED HER CASE IN THE 70s and KNOW IT WELL. She is walking around the town and some say she is a heroin addict to boot. Don't know her personally, but know many folks in the community who do. I also think she was guilty as sin for killing that business man from out of state, but that's what happens when these business men come to town and pick up prostitutes. John Duval her co-conspirator, was released from prison, WAS GIVEN NO TAX PAYERS MONEY (THANK GOD) and died less than 1 1/2 years after his release. Good. Betty Gail Tyson should be ashamed of herself. I feel sorry for her very light skinned girlfriend who she beats the shit out of! true story! This trick had 1.25 million dollars of my and state tax payers dollars and she USED IT UP IN DRUGS, TRICKING WITH LESBIANS AND WASTING IT. SHE LIVES IN GREECE. THAT DOESN'T SURPRISE ME. LOTS OF NUTS LIVE THERE! THIS WOMAN IS WACKED OUT OF HER FKIN MIND. ARREST HER AGAIN FOR SOME OF THE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE. SHE IS A TERRIBLY VIOLENT PERSON. I HOPE SHE GETS PUT BACK IN PRISON. THE COMMUNITY IS BETTER OFF. GUILTY AS SIN IN THE 70S, GUILTY NOW. And, just because she didn't admit to killing the man, WE TAX PAYERS HAD TO PAY THIS MURDERER. WRONGFULLY ACCUSED MY ASS!
I GUESS SHE IS WRONGFULLY ACCUSED NOW? MY ASS!
I find it interesting and a bit disturbing that you who do not know her have so much to say about this woman. Let me say this Ms. Tyson was WRONGFULLY convicted of a crime she DID NOT COMMIT. She was freed because the Police Department of YOUR fine city actually committed a crime by withholding evidence which caused her to be convicted. The little bit of tax money you pay did not contribute to any thing and in fact it if was not for the Upstate Prison System what would kind of employment or economic system would Rochester have?. And if in fact you followed her case as you say you did then you would know this. Someone else committed this crime, there was a death bed confession, but either your ignorant of this or omitting this from your rant. She nor her co defendant EVER admitted to this crime. In fact the real crime rests with the Rochester Police Department and the District Attorney's office for their racist attitudes and for Knowingly and willfully disregarding their oath. And $1.25 Million dollars is not enough for STEALING 25 years of someone's life.
Loislane

Poughkeepsie, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Judged:

Crime_Dog wrote:
Well I have to point out that your still an IDIOT Brain Fart.
1. She did murder someone but the conviction was overturned due to evidence being held back at trial. Though her record was cleared it still doesn't mean she didn't physically kill someone. Just in the legal systems eyes due to the overturned conviction her record was cleared in relation to that incident.
2. She made the news because she is a free woman , a millionaire and arrested for shoplifting.
Your also uneducated in the criminal justice system. An ACD stands for adjournment in contemplation of dismissal (New York Criminal Procedure Law, Section 170.55). There are terms set within the ACD. You don't get an ACD and a conditional discharge, same animal different terminology.
3. You would have to prove that the police acted criminally when they withheld the evidence. Very doubtful and very very hard to prove. That's why they did get charged you moron.
CrimeDogg maybe you should read this educate yourself on her case.
Dedicated supporters of a Rochester, N.Y., woman are jubilant at her release from prison. Her 1973 frame-up murder conviction was finally overturned.
Betty Tyson spent 25 years at Bedford Hills Correctional Facility. Her real crime was being an impoverished African American woman.
As the facts of her case became known over the years, more supporters were drawn to her defense. Among them were the Rev. Raymond Graves, an African American minister with a long history of fighting against police brutality, Lori Hirtelen and Marge Booker, a lesbian couple who run a progressive book store, and Bob Tishler, a Workers World Party member and activist for almost three decades.
As the supporters began to push a reluctant media to release more information about her case, it came to light that Betty Tyson's conviction was based on no physical evidence at all. Witness testimony had been coerced. Her own confession had been beaten out of her by the police, and she later recanted.
Even though the case against her was weak, it still took many years to win her freedom. This speaks volumes about the racist character of the police and courts.
The only physical evidence available to the Rochester cops that night in 1973 was tire tracks. When they failed to place Tyson at the scene of the crime, the cops buttressed their case through beatings, threats and cover-up.
Teenagers Jon Jackson and Wayne Wright accompanied Tyson's co-defendant on the day cops questioned him. They were to never return home.
Jackson and Wright were held under "protective custody" for seven months- until they finally agreed to say they had seen Tyson with the victim on the night of the killing.
In the deposition that was at the center of the legal efforts to win Tyson's release, Wright states that one morning County Sheriff William Mahoney woke him up in jail. Mahoney stood over Wright, spinning the chamber of a revolver and demanding that Wright recite his "testimony" for the Tyson case.
Mahoney later went to jail himself for fabricating evidence in other cases. It is widely believed that those cases were just the tip of the iceberg.
The cops forced Wright and Jackson to leave town. Jackson has lived under an assumed name in another state for more than two decades. Although Tyson's lawyers contacted him, he was afraid to come forward.
But Wright moved back to Rochester about 10 years ago. He couldn't get Betty Tyson off his conscience. His family wanted to help him make it right. They contacted the Rev. Graves.
This provided the final thrust in a long struggle. Soon after, a 1973 document was discovered in police files. In it, Jon Jackson said that he did not see Betty Tyson with the murder victim, although he was later forced to say in court that he did.
With that, there was no case against Tyson left. The courts had little choice except to release her. This is a bittersweet victory. Betty Tyson was the longest-serving female inmate in New York state.
Sue Higgenbotham

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2013

Judged:

loislane,
thanks for clarifying the truth and ignorance of many of this forum. They chose to believe lies in spite of the fact the evidence says not so.

police will cover up and railroad for a conviction.
Mad

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

Tell us something new, you folks can't open old wounds, Lay down please! Stop 89 G Shawcross was guilty and was released and did worst. Betty time is over,
Have your homes been invaded, Remember you all are saying she is guilty of a terrible crime..
Mad

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2013

Judged:

I feel that you can attack her by words if anyone touch her, Roots will be replayed. If this was your town why let her buy property there someone said the hell with what others think, money talks!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Spencerport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trash-awn? HaHaHaHaHa!! 10 min Wyatt Krakur 3
After 35 Years, WHAM's Chet Walker Fired 6 hr Duncan Richards 32
Civic Center garage 7 hr RacistFireCrotchB... 30
Term Limits: Who Takes Reins Of MC Crime Syndic... 7 hr RacistFireCrotchB... 5
White Fireman Steal $400,000 7 hr RacistFireCrotchB... 4
Diversity In the RPD 8 hr WarrenT 24
Is Diamond Daisy Crazy? 10 hr Devonte 48

Search the Spencerport Forum:
•••
•••