New study: Rochester is fifth poorest...

New study: Rochester is fifth poorest city in country

There are 12 comments on the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle story from Dec 10, 2013, titled New study: Rochester is fifth poorest city in country. In it, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle reports that:

There are two Rochesters. There's the one everyone likes to boast about -- the one with the great cost-of-living, the high-performing suburban school systems, the affordable real estate, and the short commutes, all of which combines to push it to the top of those "Best places to live" lists that come out every so often.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.

dew4794

Rochester, NY

#1 Dec 10, 2013
Perception of crime in Rochester? Highest rates if crime violence than Brooklyn or NYC
Violent Crime Stats for 2012.
NYC= 3.98 per 1000 residents. Victim chances=1 in 251.
Brooklyn = 6.78 per 1000 residents. chances=1 in 159.
Rochester = 9.63 per 1000 residents, chances = 1 in 104
(Neighborhood Scout)
Perception of violence? How about reality of violence?

ED DOHERTY GET REAL

“Maybe you’ve heard people use this term about crime — that perception of crime is worse than reality,” said Ed Doherty, vice president of community programs for the Community Foundation.“I believe with poverty, it’s sort of the opposite. The perception understates the reality.”
Tim

Rochester, NY

#2 Dec 10, 2013
"the high-performing suburban school systems" Ummm. How is that Rochester?

The boosters in this town are absolutely delusional. Rochester is too small and too far away from any large city to feed off it and bring substantial gentrification.
RePigs friend

Rochester, NY

#3 Dec 10, 2013
What do the posters on these threads have to say about this story? Please read it in full before answering.
Observer

Fairport, NY

#4 Dec 11, 2013
Poor people are poor for a reason: unmotivated to do better. Each of us control our own destiny. Find a way to break the cycle through education. People don't have to be poor. It's their choice to make welfare their fulltime job.
Taxation without represen

Lakewood, OH

#5 Dec 11, 2013
Maybe if the city liberals would let housing investors control their own property instead of letting the liberal commies smash and trash the homes and call their friends at city hall to enforce code violations and stop rent things would be different.......am I right ?
I thought so

A fool and his $$$ soon part......only fools invest in liberal commie areas.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#6 Dec 11, 2013
Certain people study hard, work hard, excel and become successful, often moving out of the poor crime ridden neighborhoods. Others seem to just give up or give in, and they stay. Their "leaders" tell them the deck is stacked against them and that they can not ever attain success, unless the government gives it to them. And too many believe the lie, and fall prey to it. It becomes a cultural, generational trap. Anyone know the statistics of how many single mothers there are in Rochester? That is a shocking number, and the biggest indicator.
Observer

Fairport, NY

#7 Dec 11, 2013
Taxation without represen wrote:
only fools invest in liberal commie areas.
When did they liberal commies arrive? We have to react. They'll be erecting statues of Lenin all over. Geez.
RePigs friend

Rochester, NY

#8 Dec 11, 2013
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
When did they liberal commies arrive? We have to react. They'll be erecting statues of Lenin all over. Geez.
I think they got here the same time President Johnson did.
Taquandra

Rochester, NY

#9 Dec 11, 2013
Do anybody thinks it has to do with the 40% graduation rate and not being able to find a job?
Taquandra

Rochester, NY

#10 Dec 11, 2013
1-800-459-8387- Civil War vets coming around tomorrow to pick up? Cpoul this help.
Observer

Fairport, NY

#11 Dec 11, 2013
Taquandra wrote:
1-800-459-8387- Civil War vets coming around tomorrow to pick up? Cpoul this help.
I'm calling. I would love to meet a Civil War. This must be quite elderly. I want to ask them if their efforts were worth it.
CrimeStoppers

Rochester, NY

#12 Dec 11, 2013
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm calling. I would love to meet a Civil War. This must be quite elderly. I want to ask them if their efforts were worth it.
Today both sides would probably agree on total disaster.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spencerport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
south wedge, I have questions for you 1 hr Ha Ha 94
Pentagon Buried $125 Billion in Administrative ... 1 hr Ha Ha 7
all women are CxNTS 2 hr Ha Ha 5
Moshe haha iescapedny perfect are all the same ... 2 hr women are wastes ... 3
What The Heck Happened To The Bills Yesterday? 2 hr perfect 12
Welcome Back PigPen. You Sure Spanked South Wed... 4 hr IescapedNY 44
3 questions for Pigpen and you BETTER answer them 4 hr Moshe 5

Spencerport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance