Money isn't everything to young peopl...

Money isn't everything to young people, but it helps -- South F...

There are 8 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Aug 21, 2007, titled Money isn't everything to young people, but it helps -- South F.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Today's young people have a complicated relationship with money, dismissing it as a paramount source of happiness yet conceding its power over them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Truth

Pompano Beach, FL

#1 Aug 21, 2007
Sure the ones with the families earning over $75,000 were the happiest! Mommy and Daddy payed all the bills or let them keep whatever money they earned. When I was young if you worked even at a paper route you contributed money for household expenses. Not the other way around! Lets see if they feel the same way as they get older and have to foot all the bills!!
DRS

Hollywood, FL

#3 Aug 22, 2007
WITHOUT MONEY IN THE USA YOU DO "NOTHING" AND YOU BETTER HAVE TONS OF THOSE FAKE DOLLARS
goodluckwiththat

Boca Raton, FL

#4 Aug 22, 2007
Money is everything anything else is details
simple simon

United States

#5 Aug 22, 2007
The young people who respond to these surveys are unconsciously lying to themselves. We have a saying where I come from: don’t listen to what people say, listen to what they do.

Even as they reject the importance of money, their behaviors suggest otherwise. Young people surround themselves with the trappings of the material world (or try to) and the materials they choose are not of the bargain basement variety. From computers, to clothing, to cars to ipods, young people want (and their parents often give them) luxury goods.

“Listening to music” as a source of happiness sounds harmless enough, but once you unpack it, the truth comes out: music CDs or downloads cost money (music is primarily sold to young people). Having a computer & and ipod costs money. Good speakers cost money. Going to concerts cost money. I could go on and on…

There ARE simple pleasures to be had in life, but few young people I know are interested in those things. Of course, it’s not the kids’ fault. They were raised in age of consumer culture not to mention an age of conspicuous consumption!

The truth is money gives one (at any age) a degree of freedom that we all want.
Trixie

AOL

#6 Aug 22, 2007
simple simon wrote:
The young people who respond to these surveys are unconsciously lying to themselves. We have a saying where I come from: don’t listen to what people say, listen to what they do.
Even as they reject the importance of money, their behaviors suggest otherwise. Young people surround themselves with the trappings of the material world (or try to) and the materials they choose are not of the bargain basement variety. From computers, to clothing, to cars to ipods, young people want (and their parents often give them) luxury goods.
“Listening to music” as a source of happiness sounds harmless enough, but once you unpack it, the truth comes out: music CDs or downloads cost money (music is primarily sold to young people). Having a computer & and ipod costs money. Good speakers cost money. Going to concerts cost money. I could go on and on…
There ARE simple pleasures to be had in life, but few young people I know are interested in those things. Of course, it’s not the kids’ fault. They were raised in age of consumer culture not to mention an age of conspicuous consumption!
The truth is money gives one (at any age) a degree of freedom that we all want.
You got it, Simon. Youngsters who think money isn't important are kidding themselves or have yet to learn that without money you have no insurance. Without insurance, even a fractured leg from an accident can leave you with hospital bills to wipe out a quarter century of savings.
Old and Wise

Spartanburg, SC

#7 Aug 22, 2007
Sure money is not important to young kids these days! hahaha what a joke.
Try hiring one fresh out of college. They expect to be a V.P. in the company in five years (at most) and make $150,000

“MANGLER”

Since: Dec 06

Atlanta, GA / Seattle, WA

#8 Aug 22, 2007
Well that was nice to interview young people making $50k to $75k, and more than that. But there are the 98% of young people (I'm talking working age and post college) that don't make $5ok/yr. Look at the median imcomes of every US city and State. The highest is in the low $30's. Let's get the list of wants from the people making $13-$18/hr and trying to support themselves and have a life.
Climaxxx

United States

#9 Aug 22, 2007
Money means alot to those that make lower wages. For those that live paycheck to paycheck regardless of how much they are earning, ask them how they feel about money. How one extra paycheck would make a world of difference to them. I am fortunate to not be in that situation, but are friends with some who are. This survey is BS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spencerport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Make America Strong and Safe Again! 29 min perfect 36
Hilarious 4 hr josephbarkley 1
NickBo wants Charlotte Carousal panal put back up 5 hr T Burt Sains 5
haha has a job! 8 hr perfect 1
Fair port is a racist town 8 hr FullOfMalarkey 130
Wease picks his fights (Jul '15) 15 hr josephbarkley 560
hey (Sep '15) Sep '15 northern ireland 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spencerport Mortgages