Wilson students protest school cell p...

Wilson students protest school cell phone ban

There are 384 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from May 28, 2009, titled Wilson students protest school cell phone ban. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

Students protested at Wilson Magnet High School Thursday morning because the school is banning cell phones other electronics during school hours.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

senior or fourth grader

Fairport, NY

#421 Jun 13, 2009
Wilson SenioR LAST LAUGH wrote:
Safety isnt an issue but today in Charlotte high school somebody brought a gun.......... But schools safe and you dont need your cell phones its not a safety issue.......... But you guys know every thing please enlighten me on this.
There is a reason why 50% of the "seniors" at Wilson don't graduate. Being in school doesn't mean they are learning anything. Anyone against standardized testing in favor of "alternate" forms should see the results with the student posting here. There are not just misspellings and glaring errors in grammar. We now have students ready to graduate high school without the ability to form a cohesive sentence. Granted they will likely come back again and again until they are 21 and booted, but how did they get to be even in a high school without basic writing ability? Elementary students everywhere can do this. Why can't RCSD students? Assuming the RCSD gives them a diploma without skill, then what? Job without writing ability? College? At least when they don't graduate college, it won't be on the public dime.
Mom05

Wilmington, DE

#422 Jun 13, 2009
Charlotte should be closed down; torn down, and bulldozed over. There are so many freaking problems in this school, which are not being brought to light, that here is not enough time; or space here to expose it all. It is not all of the students (but a portion of them), but the main problems are a great majority of the Adminstrators and the Principal. Check it out, ask questions, discuss the school day and events which occur there with the student.

Since: May 09

Rochester, NY

#423 Jun 20, 2009
woo0o0oo0o0o0o0w people are still talkin about this i see alot of people dont have lives come on now really its been a month now move on this protest was stupid but wrong they should protest rite but anyways done wit this unknowns out for gud peace

Since: May 09

Avon, NY

#424 Jun 20, 2009
If your so INSECURE you ned to talk constantly, maybe, but then they should be in a Psych Ward because they have real problems!
Stumped wrote:
How can being without your cell phone be a safety hazzard? I just dont get it. When I was in high school, we didn't have cell phones and I never felt unsafe. Kids nowadays are totally spoiled and entitled. It was almost like a reward to have your cell phone in school, but they took advantage of the situation and took it too far and now they have to pay the consequences. I truly hope that the decision makers stick to their guns on this one and teach the kids that there are penalties and fall out for their actions. There isn't enough of that today and that is why things are the way that they are.
i dont understand

Rochester, NY

#425 Jun 20, 2009
chyna wrote:
i go to wilson and i think it was funny how it happened because the way they went bout it and honestly if i was the news i wouldn't of took non of us seriose but there was no reason for them to take cell phones yes it was used yestarday for pranks but it was to warn students too so they wont get caught up in the mix of the pranks so everyone who got something to say bout us wilson students and hop off and get a life because cell phones are a must exspecially since we out located in a very bad enviorment and were not spoiled
sicerly,chynadoll
Judging by your use of the English language you need to pay attention in your classes a little bit.
this ban sucks

United States

#427 Jun 27, 2009
well i disagree with this ban because there are a lot of adult students there to. I mean what happens if they need to call police because of a assault by a more popular student the teachers will let it slide the popular kids get all the attention and protection while the guys like me are left to rot like garbage i mean i was the first person to leek this ban on the net which started the protest and they destroyed my reputation for every cell phone they confiscate they keep till the end of the year no student got it back so parents started to get mad when they could not get it back ether some of my friends reported to me that there cell's where sold by the deans and principal in total in a month when this ban started the deans in our school made over 3000 dollars and where not charged with any criminal accounts but when we went to protest it they where quick to have us arrested so we protested in the gym and auditorium. So this ban needs to be lifted badly

Since: May 09

Rochester, NY

#428 Jul 27, 2009
why is people still talking about this its over done with they ban cell phone and its gonna still ban no matter what comments anyone writes to drop it and everyone get a life
Mizu - Wilson Student

Batavia, NY

#429 Jul 27, 2009
unknown17 wrote:
why is people still talking about this its over done with they ban cell phone and its gonna still ban no matter what comments anyone writes to drop it and everyone get a life
People are concerned about this because some actually are responsible for using their phones. It'll continue on for a while.

Since: May 09

Avon, NY

#430 Jul 27, 2009
You should have added Grammar!
i dont understand wrote:
<quoted text>
Judging by your use of the English language you need to pay attention in your classes a little bit.
WILSON IB SCHOLAR

United States

#431 Aug 27, 2009
so we've heard it over and over again that back in the day u guy's didn't have any cell phones, which im pretty sure if you did u would want to carry them with you to school and if somebody took that privlege away from you, you would be mad to, i dont understand what everybody is in an uproar about all wer did was a peaceful protest. and kids do need their phones for saftey some kids may not feel safe where ever there going after school and may want to use their phone for a lil protection. then so be it. but all this grow up and omg these are the kinds of our future, welll lets see the way this world is going the world is going towards technology and if we don't embrace it and learn how to use it where would we be, and let us look at one simple fact here, wilson is a school of computers and technology and if you take that away what is our school then.
Sincerly,
A wilson IB Scholar and a avid cell phone user
Wilson Student

United States

#432 Oct 6, 2009
For those of you who are calling us spoiled brats and saying "you will probably amount to nothing", you should be ashamed of yourselves. Number one, "spoiled" is the LAST thing that we are. Wilson is a public school in the inner city... how are we "spoiled"?? And saying that we won't amount to anything?! How dare you judge us without even knowing our names. We offer the IB program and of course have the regular AP and honors classes so for you to say that we won't amount to anything is disgusting. The protest wasn't even that big of a deal. We just didn't want them taking our expensive phones and electronics and throwing them into some bin. Please just get your facts straight before you come on here saying that we're "spoiled brats" or "won't amount to anything". Get real.
Old School

Omaha, NE

#433 Feb 19, 2010
Teachers need to teach. Administrators have enough on their plates. Students need to learn. Who gives a damn about cell phones? Students would learn better if they weren't worried that every time they turned around there is another rule with a punishment attached that they have to follow. I would be just as rebellious as they are! I never had to sign codes of conduct and run a background check before attending class. What we do affects them just as much as it in turn affects us. Let's back off and get back to square one.
Woww

Long Island City, NY

#434 Dec 30, 2010
I remember this incident during my freshmen year. Just by reading a few of these posts, I am highly disappointed by my fellow Wilson peers. This incident does frighten me greatly. As a wilson student, merging out of this stereotype of being a "black city kid" is difficult, especially when incidents like this one continuously happen. Im just ashamed as a wilson student ...
Here's a side note: Its pathetic to prove and clear out issues through technology, moreover, its quite lame.
Oh and just because we have an IB program doesn't mean that we are a good school... We went from ranking in the top 30 in the nation to below 300..this should definitely tell everyone something..
College Anon

Astoria, NY

#435 Dec 30, 2010
Woww wrote:
I remember this incident during my freshmen year. Just by reading a few of these posts, I am highly disappointed by my fellow Wilson peers. This incident does frighten me greatly. As a wilson student, merging out of this stereotype of being a "black city kid" is difficult, especially when incidents like this one continuously happen. Im just ashamed as a wilson student ...
Here's a side note: Its pathetic to prove and clear out issues through technology, moreover, its quite lame.
Oh and just because we have an IB program doesn't mean that we are a good school... We went from ranking in the top 30 in the nation to below 300..this should definitely tell everyone something..
Tell me, what is wrong about having an argument/debate of the validity of usage of cell phones in schools? Do you not understand the results of banning cell phones in your own school? Seeing that you're still currently experiencing it, you should. Its not lame and its certainly not pathetic; your peers from Wilson that come on here that act like children are only weakening the credibility of the said debate.
diff_chyna

Penfield, NY

#436 Feb 27, 2014
First off we were not protesting about cell phones we were protesting because are principal would not let us celebrate are history black history! Not cell phones the city school district told the news it was a misunderstanding when the truth is it wasn't they clearly told us it was cancelled after the changed are date 3 times the principal over uses her power she wouldn't even let students sing a gospel song woth saying the word jesus...know what you guys are talking about before you have stick shit come out your mouths
Allana LaBarge

Goodells, MI

#437 Feb 28, 2014
Wow do you people believe EVERYTHING you read on the internet? The protest was for the cancellation of our black history month assembly. Our cell phones are already banned, since the beginning of the year they've been banned.
Ineedz my phone

Georgetown, SC

#438 Feb 28, 2014
Igoez to wilsun. Ineedz my phones to find outz if eye iz a daddy. MY phone is a obuma phone STOP DA HATIN
Taxation without represen

United States

#439 Mar 1, 2014
How the hell do those on welfare afford a cell phone ... Not to mention pot....drugs....caddies....boo ze .....steaks...... Denny's ....cable tv ....wi fi ....etc ?
What the hell is wrong with Americans ?
Why should working Jim be taxed to crap for corporate and social welfare ?
Time to clean the barn !!!!

Beware of liberals posing as Americans
Taxation without represen

United States

#440 Mar 1, 2014
Wilson Student wrote:
For those of you who are calling us spoiled brats and saying "you will probably amount to nothing", you should be ashamed of yourselves. Number one, "spoiled" is the LAST thing that we are. Wilson is a public school in the inner city... how are we "spoiled"?? And saying that we won't amount to anything?! How dare you judge us without even knowing our names. We offer the IB program and of course have the regular AP and honors classes so for you to say that we won't amount to anything is disgusting. The protest wasn't even that big of a deal. We just didn't want them taking our expensive phones and electronics and throwing them into some bin. Please just get your facts straight before you come on here saying that we're "spoiled brats" or "won't amount to anything". Get real.
Your spoiled to the bone....
Pay for your own education and stop leeching off others.

Beware of liberals posing as Americans
Taxation without represen

United States

#441 Mar 1, 2014
mom05 wrote:
Stats show that there are more 'white parents' getting help from DSS than blacks. When are people going to start speaking the truth, remove the blinders from their eyes and stop speaking about things they have no knowledge about. I do not agree with the carrying of eletrical devices in school, but these young people stepped up and protested in a civil manner. No guns or other murderous weapons used.(Maybe if they had scanning in the schools in the surburbs most of the fatalities which occur would stop.)
I agree that there may be more whites on welfare than blacks ......that's how Nobama became president......white trash communist liberals on welfare. It's not a race problem.....it's a lazy liberal communist on the dole problem. It's freedom vs communism. Why should working Jim feed ..educate if possible....house...clothes... .booze....cell phone....cable tv....Denny's ...etc lazy liberal communist joe ?

Beware of liberals posing as Americans

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spencerport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Is It With Liberal Democrats Lying, Making... 41 min Gibs me dat 9
Wease picks his fights (Jul '15) 2 hr Slammer 553
What's Wrong With College Town? 12 hr perfect 51
News Despite High Taxes, millionaires not fleeing Ny 13 hr josephbarkley 36
What's All The Extra Security At Ontario Beach ... 13 hr josephbarkley 9
5 Dead 55 Shot So Far This Memorial Day Weekend... 13 hr josephbarkley 2
Is Trump the Orange F├╝hrer ? 13 hr josephbarkley 83
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spencerport Mortgages