Job offer in Rochester
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
JBJ

United States

#1 Feb 27, 2014
I was just offered a job in Rochester, making good money, pay to relocate, etc. I'm starting to wonder if the more than generous offer is because Rochester isn't really a place 'anyone' would want to move to? What is up with the crime rate? Even from other more reliable sources (such as anything but Topix or online forums) the crime/murder rate is off the charts.
Dont do it

Penn Yan, NY

#2 Feb 27, 2014
Take a job anywhere but the city. lots of animals dealing drugs and killing folks. the stories you hear are true.
Not Politicaly Correct

Rochester, NY

#5 Feb 27, 2014
Take the job in Rochester but for the love of God don't live within 30 minutes of it or on a bus line from it.
Linda

Rochester, NY

#6 Feb 27, 2014
Hope you live in a small backwater, otherwise coming to Rochester is going to be a culture shock. We're trying to sell our house in the 'burbs and book it (selling a house in upstate is tough), due to the state taxes. The lack of anything is debilitating, and its always cloudy and gray. We made the mistake for Xerox five years ago, and we're in the process of correcting it.

Keep sending out resumes.
Dorky Dave

Alden, NY

#7 Feb 27, 2014
Do not listen to the previous posters. Rochester still is a GREAt place to live and raise a family. While like some have mentioned I would not want to live within the city limits unless it is in the Park Ave. area.

However with that said we have great arts, entertainment options, plenty of spectator sports, and and great restaurants.

For the most part the suburban schools are great and you can drive anywhere across town in 30 minutes or less.

Rochester will always be my home and I would not live anywhere else !

With a decent paying job this area is tough to beat for quality of life.
BlackyBlack

Rochester, NY

#9 Feb 27, 2014
Dorky Dave wrote:
Do not listen to the previous posters. Rochester still is a GREAt place to live and raise a family. While like some have mentioned I would not want to live within the city limits unless it is in the Park Ave. area.

However with that said we have great arts, entertainment options, plenty of spectator sports, and and great restaurants.

For the most part the suburban schools are great and you can drive anywhere across town in 30 minutes or less.

Rochester will always be my home and I would not live anywhere else !

With a decent paying job this area is tough to beat for quality of life.
Nice post DD!.....but there are other areas of the City besides the Park Ave. area that offer the same quality living.
BlackyBlack

Rochester, NY

#10 Feb 27, 2014
Linda wrote:
Hope you live in a small backwater, otherwise coming to Rochester is going to be a culture shock. We're trying to sell our house in the 'burbs and book it (selling a house in upstate is tough), due to the state taxes. The lack of anything is debilitating, and its always cloudy and gray. We made the mistake for Xerox five years ago, and we're in the process of correcting it.

Keep sending out resumes.
Linda...it sounds like you must live in shack or your asking way too much for your home. Rochester has had one of the strongest real estate markets in the Country. Even through the mortgage crisis, homes here sold at or above market value.
Keebler_elf

La Vergne, TN

#11 Mar 1, 2014
Rochester was fine 90 years ago, not now. Rochester is a third tier toilet with regard to every industry. You will regret it if you move to Rochester and your career will ultimately suffer.
Linda

Rochester, NY

#12 Mar 2, 2014
BlackyBlack wrote:
<quoted text>
Rochester has had one of the strongest real estate markets in the Country. Even through the mortgage crisis, homes here sold at or above market value.
Houses above $250K are not moving well in Rochester (or Buffalo or Syracuse). We have been receiving lowball and speculative offers. We are motivated sellers to get this behind us, as we have both accepted positions in Atlanta, and my husband has already started. The market is by no means strong. Obviously you are not in it.
Taxation without represen

United States

#13 Mar 2, 2014
JBJ
On homes in rochester ...appraisal values 2x more than actual value.
Property Taxes are the highest in the nation......the world.
Insurance rates are forced....FEMA
Property values going down every year but appraisal going up.
This is true of the burbs surrounding rochester also.
Government owns most of the houses .
A fool and his $$$ soon part.....only fools invest in communist areas.
Government will tax your home to feed Hillary's communist liberal village idiots and to give $$$ to corporate welfare.
Do not waste your money .... The American dream of owning a home is dead in NY.
Beware of liberals posing as Americans
Linda

Rochester, NY

#14 Mar 2, 2014
Taxation without represen wrote:
JBJ
On homes in rochester ...appraisal values 2x more than actual value.
Property Taxes are the highest in the nation......the world.
Exactly. Our property taxes are much lower in Atlanta for the same services. Better values in housing. Taxes in NY state are outrageous and the reason businesses are leaving. Accepting employment in NY is nuts. I feel much safer in Atlanta than downtown Rochester, which has become a war zone.
Dorky Dave

Alden, NY

#15 Mar 2, 2014
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Our property taxes are much lower in Atlanta for the same services. Better values in housing. Taxes in NY state are outrageous and the reason businesses are leaving. Accepting employment in NY is nuts. I feel much safer in Atlanta than downtown Rochester, which has become a war zone.
Linda,

You are correct about our property taxes and yes they are a detriment to selling a house. That is something that has to be fixed. The property taxes anywhere down south are much cheaper. However just wait until you need to register your car then surprise there comes a property tax bill for the auto.

And if you think that living in Atlanta in safer than ANYWHERE in Rochester you are crazy. Atlanta is a very poor city and I would not be caught dead there. Sounds like you have a nice suburban house here and I am sure you will stay out in the Burbs of Atlanta perhaps the upscale North side but please come back and report what the traffic and commute is as people simply will not live close to downtown due to the crime there. The days of your short drive to work are over.
Cry Baby Jack

Rochester, NY

#16 Mar 2, 2014
JBJ wrote:
I was just offered a job in Rochester, making good money, pay to relocate, etc. I'm starting to wonder if the more than generous offer is because Rochester isn't really a place 'anyone' would want to move to? What is up with the crime rate? Even from other more reliable sources (such as anything but Topix or online forums) the crime/murder rate is off the charts.
Most people want out of NY as soon as possible. Investigate the company very carefully.
At companys like Kodak, Zerox, Boush and others you could be recruited today and let go in the next round of lay offs.Don't trust the big companys.
Flee NYS

Siler City, NC

#17 Mar 2, 2014
A lifelong Rochester resident here . We left for good . NYS is wonderful if you like
Police State
Ridiculous TAXATION
never ending CRIME and Murder , that no one can stop.
Extremely Hi energy bills by the Cartel RG&E
No economic growth
Inferior Infrastructure
Homosexual Agenda everywhere
Aids/HIV and all the other STD's for your kids .
Drugs everywhere , especially Pills , heroine , Crack etc ...IN High schools.
Mean hearted people
Crappy Restaurants <all the independent rest. are gone>
Corporate GMO restaurants YUCK !
Hi gas prices
Hi food prices
Querky Fascist residential committees in your business
Thug gangs every where engaged in Violent crime ANYWHERE !
Bankrupt business's Kodak , XEROX , Bausch and Lomb
No real jobs for you or your children
WELFARE STATE
Entitled Minorities who Hate WHITE people and let you KNOW it .
Miserable WINTERS
NO SUNSHINE for WEEKS on END
CHEMTRAILS EVERY day . The sky is a checker board of poison .
SCHOOLS that FAIL year after year .
GUN CONTROL , for everyone but criminals
Corrupt Police and courts
ETC... other than these FACTS the place is like HEAVEN .
These come to mind immediately
Linda

Rochester, NY

#18 Mar 2, 2014
Dorky Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
And if you think that living in Atlanta in safer than ANYWHERE in Rochester you are crazy. Atlanta is a very poor city and I would not be caught dead there.
You know, for all the bad things we could come up with, pretty much anywhere is an improvement on Rochester. I guess cloistered, small town living was not for us. Can't wait to see Rochester in the rear view mirror for the last time. And Xerox!

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.
Flee NYS

Siler City, NC

#19 Mar 2, 2014
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, for all the bad things we could come up with, pretty much anywhere is an improvement on Rochester. I guess cloistered, small town living was not for us. Can't wait to see Rochester in the rear view mirror for the last time. And Xerox!
Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.
It's 68 degrees here today , we are going to the ocean and play in the warm sand .

A year ago today we would be crying over the RG&E shut off notice and the lack of work for me . I am current with all my bills here , I don't drink as much ! I'm not angry or racially tense .Also I have finger nails again because I'm not a worried wreck . Yeah we had to downsize a bit , and it was an adventure getting established , but ...... WE and our children are HAPPY , and playful together . We never got a TV here also , and that has improved on our outlook overall .

Rottonchester is Devils Haven of Death , Destruction and Demise . Not to mention the KOOLAIDE drinker's paradise .

The current political Occupant in the White house is HATED here ! They all realize he is a Sham puppet . The populace is heavily armed and aware of their Rights to be FREE .
The schools are Clean , new , and 100 times better than Rotton chester . The children all behave . I am called Sir , and My wife is called Mam'e or Ms . My kids are playing outside all year round , and not attached to a TV set or Video Console . They READ daily .
People here are GENUINE , not PHONY . Hard working and Family oriented .

Paradise ? NO .... But it's Light Years away From Our Old life . OFF TO THE BEACH ....

For some surf fishing and Relaxation . We wont be worrying about Thugs and Riots AT ALL .
Liberal Bill

Alden, NY

#20 Mar 2, 2014
Rochester is a great city you just have to be open to all it has to offer. Sure we have problems as do other Northern cities in the rust belt but we have so much to offer.

While our friends in the south always want to talk about the weather do you really want to live in 100 degree heat for July and August. Spring time here is a breath of fresh air and just think how nice it will be here as soon as this winter weather lets go.

Our summers are packed with festivals, concerts, and 80 degree days !

Live in a nice area of the city or in most of the suburbs and life here is hard to beat as long as you have a job that pays a decent living wage.

I have been in the south and the people there are a step behind most people in NY. Just go to any grocery store and compare the cash register folks to those at wegmans and you will see for yourself.
rochmetro

Brockport, NY

#21 Mar 2, 2014
To me..unless you are talking about maybe San Diego..all these southern "hotspots" have just as many if not more weather problems than Rochester. Sure winters are "nice".but summers tend to be unbearable with all the heat..storms....possible huricanes...dewpoints in the 70s. Nasty bugs and critters...I can' argue about the beach because Lake Ontario beaches are smelly and disgusting.
Once the weather hits 50 up here.I'm good to go until November.
Commentor

Siler City, NC

#22 Mar 2, 2014
The Eastern sea board is not land locked South . We have a hot season yes , but also 2 full growing seasons . Ocean and Beaches , the people here are not hicks . What are you talking about ? The North is Dead .
A liberal hell of multi - culturism . Down here people pride themselves on Community , low crime , Tourism and Family . Southern people here are extremely friendly and SHOW RESPECT . We like being Tan , and healthy . There is hardly any sunshine in NY . The constant Chemtrails only an IDIOT wouldn't notice . It's sunny and clear skies here .

You get used to the heat . People here love it . Not many Fatties either .
We don't miss seeing FAT families all over . A big turn off . They never leave the house , eat all day long in front of the TV . YUCK .

Shopping here for food compared to Rottonchester is DREAMY !
They don't have Ghetto stores here like Priced right or Save-alot .
EEEECK . I don't miss that at all . The grocery stores here are Clean
and secure . unlike rockchester .
Linda

Rochester, NY

#23 Mar 2, 2014
If you're stuck in Rochester, well that's the way it is. Other posters are correct about the crime and lawlessness that exists in Rochester (City of, not the 'burbs).

The weather is better in the south, but so are the outstanding opportunities. Rochester (including western NY) is a city well past its prime. In Atlanta, the positions available to both blue and white collar workers are boundless: if you want to work at a better than average prevailing wage get out of NY state. It has become a welfare state, lacks jobs, is driving business and workers out -- it is not a great place to live. We choose to both resign good paying professional positions in engineering and finance to pursue a better life, primarily for the children.

Rochester needs to get its crime under control, and attract new businesses. At this time, neither item is being addressed well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spencerport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wease picks his fights (Jul '15) 7 hr Slammed 640
haha the topix retard 10 hr perfect 1
Agitators 10 hr perfect 66
Hillary: the most corrupt politician ever!!! 10 hr Ha Ha 18
Greece cops arrest lady for taking video of an ... 13 hr Neo Black Ha Ha 18
Make America Strong and Safe Again! 14 hr Ha Ha 77
rochester christian church ministries is a cult... (Oct '07) 16 hr Silent no longer 98

Spencerport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spencerport Mortgages