Man convicted of murder in second trial

Full story: Newsday

A Monroe County jury found 41-year-old Paul Linnan guilty of second-degree murder in the August 2001 death of 46-year-old Donna Marie Sokolski in their Rochester home.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
exislander

Claremont, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2007

Judged:

Linnan's defense attorney claimed he so drunk that he didn't know he was murdering someone? Pathetic. He chose to get drunk. Lock him up for life. He is a menace to Society...
joe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2007

Judged:

i would like to find the story somewhere i grew up with him
Amy

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

Judged:

He was so drunk and high on crack. The victim attacked him with the roofing hatchet. Did he use excessive force in defending himself? ABSOLUTELY! Does he deserve to be locked up for 25 years? NO. This was self defense. Clearly a manslaughter case not a murder. He didn't plan it, she did. If it wasn't her, it was going to be him. He's in Attica serving 25 to life. Ridiculous!
Ashlee

Dansville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2013

Judged:

@amy it wasn't self defense this here was my aunt he killed her for money for his drug habit and she wouldn't give it to him so how is that ridiculous
Ashlee

Dansville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2013

Judged:

after he killed her he was selling all of her things he took he car and placed it else where if it was self defense he wouldn't have had to hide her care and he wouldn't have sold her things.so yes he deserves what he got.
Ashlee

Dansville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2013

Judged:

Amy wrote:
He was so drunk and high on crack. The victim attacked him with the roofing hatchet. Did he use excessive force in defending himself? ABSOLUTELY! Does he deserve to be locked up for 25 years? NO. This was self defense. Clearly a manslaughter case not a murder. He didn't plan it, she did. If it wasn't her, it was going to be him. He's in Attica serving 25 to life. Ridiculous!
And she never attacked him with the roofing hatchet like you he was high he needed money and she wouldn't give it. know the whole story before you make ridiculous and nonsense statements.
Ashlee

Dansville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2013

Judged:

Amy wrote:
ROCHESTER, N.Y.(AP)- A man who had his first conviction overturned was found guilty in his second trial on charges that he killed his girlfriend with a roofing hatchet.

A Monroe County jury found 41-year-old Paul Linnan guilty of second-degree murder in the August 2001 death of 46-year-old Donna Marie Sokolski in their Rochester home.

Linnan's initial conviction was overturned last year. A five-judge appeals panel ruled that Monroe County Court Judge Frank Geraci Junior erred during the first trial when he refused to dismiss a prospective juror who didn't assure the court she could be fair or impartial.

Linnan's defense claimed that he was so intoxicated by alcohol and drugs during the slaying that he couldn't form the legally required intent to commit murder.

Linnan told police that he killed his girlfriend because she refused to give him money to buy crack cocaine.

Linnan has been in custody during the re-trial.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

After reading it tell me were it says anything about Self Defense
DiamondDaisy

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2013

A roofing hatchet? You could hurt a person with one of those.
Drunk white

Jacksonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2013

Beer is everywhere...I was bored
Lisa

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2014

From what I understand the girlfriend (victim) started him on his crack addiction and then used the crack to control him. She certainly didn't deserve to die but it does seem to me to be an argument that went too far on both sides. I don't believe that he premeditated her death in any way. If I were involved in a huge domestic altercation and I ended up killing someone, I would try to get as much cash as I could get together to get out of town. I doubt he killed her for her car and tv. It seems more reasonable that this was an argument that got way out of control and he panicked and took what he could and ran. Just my opinion. I am sorry for the family's loss. I think he should have gotten manslaughter.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Spencerport Discussions

Search the Spencerport Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: D Caesars Auto (Apr '13) 1 hr rider d corola 22
City selects high rise proposal for Charlotte 1 hr RhondaOnVacation 31
Militia Training Camp outside Buffalo (Jun '11) 2 hr LOLOL 31
rePIG: Its Good Friday! 2 hr Kurt 35
4 Whites Arrested in Undercover Prostitution De... 3 hr truff hurts 5
Black Man charged in Kansas City-area highway s... 3 hr No Nguyen Situation 7
City punk drives go-cart head on into car 4 hr you never get it 3
•••
•••