Festival violence, fueled by social m...

Festival violence, fueled by social media, has some worried

Posted in the Spencerport Forum

Long Hot Summer

Caledon, Canada

#1 May 25, 2013
In a city where police are called to break up fights on a daily basis, last weekend’s brawl was unremarkable — except for its location.

The fracas at the Lilac Festival resulted in 16 arrests and no serious injuries. Now, as Rochester’s festival season gets under way in earnest, a history of chaos at some summer events has police stepping up enforcement and scouring social media for warning signs, as some revelers who witnessed the fighting saying they feared for their lives.

Fear is a powerful virus that can make people think twice about going to a festival for a family outing. And reputation can kill even a beloved public event: The annual Greece Festival for Youth shut down permanently in 2011 because of repeated bouts of brawling groups of young people.

“If fights continue at any event, eventually the event will no longer exist,” said festival goer Jim Jamison, 50, of Greece.“I don’t blame the promoters, I blame the disrespectful kids and adults who were fighting that ruin it for everyone else.”

Indeed, some say the root of such public brawls has less to do with security and more to do with state of youth and the power of social media.

more at
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/2...

“I don’t blame the promoters, I blame the disrespectful kids and adults who were fighting that ruin it for everyone else.”

And just who are these "kid's and adults"? Oh never mind everyone already knows.
Long Hot Summer

Caledon, Canada

#2 May 25, 2013
For some, the incident at this year’s Lilac Festival was a frightening experience. Mary Cowles of Pittsford saw the fighting at Highland Park on Saturday. She said the kids and police crossed in front of her car and to her it looked like a “riot.” Jen Nardone of Irondequoit was at the festival Saturday for a family outing and what she saw made her fear for her life and the lives of her husband and 1-year-old son.

“A teenager yelled ‘He's shooting he’s shooting.’ We immediately looked and saw crowds of people running away from that area, people grabbing their children and their dogs and running,” said Nardone.“My life flashed before my eyes and all I could imagine was stray bullets flying in our direction and injuring or killing my family.”

All good points.
Wally58

Rochester, NY

#3 May 25, 2013
Actually the festival organizers/promoters could have controlled the situation a little better.
Although they can't predict what mobs will do, they should have known that mobs would form.
They gave OK's to some musical performers by word of mouth (?) and deemed that no permit was necessary. A permit is like a contract, it can protect both parties. You NEED a permit.
An concert that started with about 100 orderly people swelled to 600 within minutes and things got crazy.
The security wasted a few minutes trying to understand if the performers had permission or not to perform. Nobody knew anything or had an answer. There was frustration and confusion and a melee ensued.
Maybe this particular incident would have turned out differently had this been in actual writing and security would have acted quicker and a less heavy-hand tactic would have solved the problem.
If I want to enjoy Lilacs, the I like to walk among them without crowds and noise and for free.
Long Hot Summer

Caledon, Canada

#4 May 25, 2013
“Traditionally, on any given day in Charlotte, we may have one or two officers who will be in the area. In this deployment, combined with our Special Events as well, we could have up to 20 officers at any given time in the Charlotte area,” Rochester Police Chief James Sheppard said on Friday.

Law enforcement agencies faced this same problem in 2011. A fight involving more than 200 people broke out at Ontario Beach Park on Memorial Day outside the festival, resulting in multiple arrests, minor injuries and closure of the park.

“In terms of this Memorial Day weekend, we are going to take care of business,” Sheppard said.
Long Hot Summer

Caledon, Canada

#5 May 25, 2013
“The planning of this, in terms of social media, is disheartening, but I think is something we applaud due to the fact that it does give us an opportunity to develop intelligence, gives us an opportunity to redeploy our resources,” Sheppard said.“Relative to the Lilac Festival, we anticipated that there was going to be events there, that were planned events, and I think we responded well to those.”

???

Ready for Rib Fest
Police and sheriff’s officials are expecting a safe weekend with a high-profile presence at Lake Ontario Park.

Sheriff’s Cpl. John Helfer said rumors of planned disturbances at festivals and public events are taken on a case-by-case basis and usually handled with additional officers and resources. The department will have a command center and extra deputies at the park as well as its marine unit on the water.

Tera Gregson, the marketing director of the ROC City Rib Fest, said they are confident of the safety and security of the festival this weekend. Festival organizers have hired off-duty police officers to patrol the festival grounds, which are fenced off from the rest of the park and require a ticket to enter.

“We are pretty confident in the security we have here,” Gregson said.

But even with the promise of a safe, family environment at upcoming summer events and festivals, some people are still apprehensive not only because of local incidents, but also recent violence in Boston and Newtown, Conn. Residents such as Jamison fear that if these brawls here continue they will escalate and someone will be killed or seriously injured. Nardone said she will think twice before heading out to a local festival.

“It definitely makes me nervous, seeing all the stuff that’s been happening in the news,” she said.“Things are just becoming more and more sporadic and you can’t predict. They try to prevent, but things just keep happening.”

Whats all this cost the decent people? The tax payers footing the bill?
Whitey

Caledon, Canada

#8 May 25, 2013
Allegedly the Monroe County Jail is almost chocked full on non whites. Allegedly!
Grady Stiles

United States

#11 May 25, 2013
I'm losing count. So far two shootings and a stabbing today?
Real Patriot

Rochester, NY

#13 May 28, 2013
THE POLICE KNOW EXACTLY WHO THE TROUBLE MAKERS ARE.
THE POLICE KNOW EXACTLY WHERE THE TROUBLE PROPERTIES ARE.
THE POLICE KNOW EXACTLY WHERE DRUGS ARE BEING SOLD.
THE POLICE KNOW EXACTLY WHERE STOLEN GOODS ARE BEING SOLD.
THE POLICE KNOW ABOUT IT ALL BUT DO NOTHING.
SOME WANT TO, THEY HAVE THEIR HANDS TIED BY THE HIGHER UPS. THE REST ARE KNOWINGLY CORRUPT AND ABUSIVE.
COPS BRAG ON FACEBOOK ABOUT GETTING TRANSFERRED TO UNITS THAT ARE KNOWN FOR THEIR AGGRESSIVENESS AND ABUSE WITHIN THE DEPT SOLELY FOR THE REASON THAT THOSE OFFICERS ARE AGGRESSIVE AND ABUSIVE.
THERE ARE FEMALE OFFICERS WHO ARE NOTHING MORE THAN IN HOUSE HOOKERS SLEEPING THEIR WAYS UP THE RANKS
IM LETTING THE WORLD KNOW, IT IS 100 PERCENT FACT THAT THINGS ARE HOW THEY ARE IN THE CITY OF ROCHESTER BECAUSE THE PEOPLE IN CHARGE ARE ALLOWING THEM TO BE THIS WAY.
LET THEM ALL KNOW ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND WE THE PEOPLE WONT STAND FOR IT ANYMORE, FOR RECALL ELECTIONS FOR ALL ELECTED NYS OFFICIALS IMMEDIATELY

and since i cant post in all caps, i add this to defeat the stupid censorship programs

“Don't Toews Me Bro!”

Since: Apr 13

The Elite Northeast

#14 May 28, 2013
I went to Rib Fest this weekend (person I was with "packs heat" so we were good lawl). Anyways I saw the cops on horses as I walked in and was kind of hoping to see them in action

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spencerport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Are Liberal Democrats Getting So Nervous Ab... 18 min Go Blue Forever 60
Make America Strong and Safe Again! 2 hr ha hA 74
Wease picks his fights (Jul '15) 3 hr Slammed 636
Greece cops arrest lady for taking video of an ... Jun 27 HA HA 11
Agitators Jun 26 Ha Ha 62
hey (Sep '15) Sep '15 northern ireland 1
News Former Rochester Mobster Arrested in Albion (Aug '15) Aug '15 M Brooks 3

Spencerport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance