Brutal Hate Crime at Bar Near Rochest...

Brutal Hate Crime at Bar Near Rochester, New York

There are 23 comments on the Towleroad story from Mar 18, 2008, titled Brutal Hate Crime at Bar Near Rochester, New York. In it, Towleroad reports that:

"According to Ogden police, Lance Neve, 26, was with his partner, Osbert Maldonado, 28, of Rochester, and another friend at Snuggery's Bar in Spencerport the night of March 7. They allegedly were subjected to ... via Towleroad

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Towleroad.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Deacon Chilly Willie

United States

#1 Mar 18, 2008
what was the point of beating up this individual ?

Just because he didn't like the persons sexual preference - he didn't have to bang him like he did.

That jerk needs to be taught manners in prison

Deacon Chilly disgusted with human mankind

“My POV”

Since: Mar 08

Rochester, N.Y.

#2 Mar 18, 2008
Well, is this establishment known to be a straight bar? I'm not saying that what happened to this individual is right but if it's a known straight bar then how do we know that he and his friends didn't go there to flaunt their homosexuality. He could have done what his friends did and just leave. It seems that he stayed to provoke the matter more. Why would anyone go where they know that they're unwanted anyway? For that matter, why didn't his friends come to his aid? There is definately more to this story then what's being said.
Deacon Chilly Willie wrote:
what was the point of beating up this individual ?
Just because he didn't like the persons sexual preference - he didn't have to bang him like he did.
That jerk needs to be taught manners in prison
Deacon Chilly disgusted with human mankind
Raiders

United States

#3 Mar 18, 2008
Rick, its hard to agree with you on more than just one topic, my ex-girlfriend had mostly gay men as friends, I got to know them very well as people, you seem to label people; muslim/not muslim, gay/straight. Man, I'm telling you the 6 or 7 gay guys I got to know, were really cool dudes, yes it was obvious that they were gay, the clothes and the way they talked were clues enough, but they were funny and very intelligent humans, but I don't think that they should be beaten up because they walked into the Distillery, a Sports bar, or any "straight" bar....this assualt was performed by someone who has a previous criminal record, not a good moral compass when it comes to right and wrong, he was wrong....and going back to jail
im bored

Troy, NY

#4 Mar 18, 2008
i don't think its right - to beat someone because of their sexual preferences,not cool.

Now, if a gay guy grabs a straight guys privates, different story, but i don't think they do that, to be honest.

No need to prove your more of a man by beating another person up -

Save the rage for the real bad people, terrorists, rapists, child molestors - now those things - have a field day, but not because someone has different preferences than the rest of us, nah.

“My POV”

Rochester, N.Y.

#5 Mar 18, 2008
Like I said in a different post, I have two brothers that are gay and they are really cool. They're smart, successful, and very funny. I also know that they have gay friends who have talked about doing things such as going to straight places and flaunting their homosexuality to prove civil rights. I'm just saying that to do that with that intent is asking for trouble and both my brothers would agree. I see you read my profile. Good then I'll say this, The distillery is a sports bar that welcomes all walks of life from college kids to older mature people to straights and even gays. It has a good mix of ethnicity as well. That's why I like it so much. You don't have to agree with me on anything. You have your POV as well as I.
Raiders wrote:
Rick, its hard to agree with you on more than just one topic, my ex-girlfriend had mostly gay men as friends, I got to know them very well as people, you seem to label people; muslim/not muslim, gay/straight. Man, I'm telling you the 6 or 7 gay guys I got to know, were really cool dudes, yes it was obvious that they were gay, the clothes and the way they talked were clues enough, but they were funny and very intelligent humans, but I don't think that they should be beaten up because they walked into the Distillery, a Sports bar, or any "straight" bar....this assualt was performed by someone who has a previous criminal record, not a good moral compass when it comes to right and wrong, he was wrong....and going back to jail
Deacon Chilly Willie

United States

#6 Mar 18, 2008
I don't know the entire story what happened, but after I saw that guys eye on the news I'd say he was kicked a few times in it ... personally I don't see any glory in kicking a skinny kid while he's down on the ground.

Since the idiot will be doing time for a Hate Crime in NY - I suspect he's going to find the largest population of gays he's ever gonna run into.

Home Sweet Home has a different meaning in prison.

And I doubt very much that guy would step into certain gay clubs and try that there, he just happened to find a small skinny kid that was weak and not able to defend himself properly.

My point on this rant is - why bother the kid - it's just as easy to walk away and leave it alone.

And where the hell were the bartenders of that dump?

Chilly disgusted at the human race for many reasons.

“My POV”

Rochester, N.Y.

#7 Mar 18, 2008
I have not labeled anyone actually. I mentioned that a certain person has appeared to have strong ties with the muslims.
Raiders wrote:
cabbage patch

Geneva, NY

#8 Mar 18, 2008
the thought police are in full force .this aint america bud,not from where I am standing anyway .
DMB

Wyoming, NY

#9 Mar 18, 2008
Gays can be attacked at known gay bars too! Walking out of them, walking down the street, standing outside smoking. Should we avoid everything that is "straight"? No restaurants, movies, shopping if it's not a gay establishment for fear of getting beat up?

Believe it or not gays have straight friends too and we will go to straight bars because we just want to hang with our friends and have a good time.

Unfortunately most straight friends won't go to a gay bars though. And guess what? if they did, they would have a great time and be welcomed. And the most they would have to worry about is getting some fashion tips, not getting beat up.

“My POV”

Rochester, N.Y.

#10 Mar 18, 2008
I didn't say anything about avoiding anyone but if you're going to a bar that is known to be a straight bar just to show that you're gay,which by me would be cool, then you need to understand that there is first of all a reason that it's a straight bar and you may not have the welcome you deserve. It's the same the other way around. How many straight guys tend to frequent gay bars? Why is that? I go with my brothers and they make it straightly known that I'm their brother and that I'm straight but then they told me that if I were to go to a gay bar alone, I'd be welcomed but also looked at like a person of curiosity and would undoubtedly be hit on. The straight guys that I know would not liked to be subjected to that and therefore you see the "straight" places. By the way, when I go with my brothers, I usually do tend to have a good time.
DMB wrote:
Gays can be attacked at known gay bars too! Walking out of them, walking down the street, standing outside smoking. Should we avoid everything that is "straight"? No restaurants, movies, shopping if it's not a gay establishment for fear of getting beat up?
Believe it or not gays have straight friends too and we will go to straight bars because we just want to hang with our friends and have a good time.
Unfortunately most straight friends won't go to a gay bars though. And guess what? if they did, they would have a great time and be welcomed. And the most they would have to worry about is getting some fashion tips, not getting beat up.

“My POV”

Since: Feb 08

Rochester area

#11 Mar 19, 2008
No person has the right to "beat up" on another person for any reason, period. If one person is doing something offensive to the group, he should be asked to leave, and yeah, where was the bartender or bouncer? Be it a gay or straight bar, he should be reprimanded for what he DOES, not WHO he is. Sadly, society can't seperate the two, just look at all the posts on the "gay marriage" forum.

Yeah, Chilly, it's getting harder to admit I'm a member of the human race!

“The Wise One”

Since: Sep 07

The Heart of the Heartland

#12 Mar 19, 2008
Aren't ALL assaults hate crimes?
Regardless of who the victim is?
Cooter

Lenoir, NC

#13 Mar 19, 2008
Hate crime. Isn't there some hate involved with anyone who punches and kicks someone in the head? Does it really have to be labled a hate crime? I don't think there is a lot of love involved if you kick somone in the head nomatter who they are.

“My POV”

Rochester, N.Y.

#14 Mar 19, 2008
From what I can gather, his friends left without even being asked but this person decided to stay. Why? It's obvious that he was a target. Why would he let himself be subjected to an attack? It's WRONG of what happened to him but I wonder if he wasn't deliberately trying to provoke it which would also be WRONG. I just think that there is more to it than what's been published. Either which way, it should be live and let live. Regardless of what we are it's WHO we are that should have presidence.
sandy4514 wrote:
No person has the right to "beat up" on another person for any reason, period. If one person is doing something offensive to the group, he should be asked to leave, and yeah, where was the bartender or bouncer? Be it a gay or straight bar, he should be reprimanded for what he DOES, not WHO he is. Sadly, society can't seperate the two, just look at all the posts on the "gay marriage" forum.
Yeah, Chilly, it's getting harder to admit I'm a member of the human race!

“My POV”

Rochester, N.Y.

#15 Mar 19, 2008
Geez, I left a comment here and now it's gone. Hmm... I don't recall anything being derogatory about it but oh well.

“My POV”

Rochester, N.Y.

#16 Mar 19, 2008
LMAO So much for freedom of speech. I guess I'm not to post anything on this forum anymore. lol :)

“My POV”

Rochester, N.Y.

#17 Mar 19, 2008
Let's see how long these posts last ;)
Deacon Chilly Willie

United States

#18 Mar 19, 2008
I still don't understand why the bartender or whoever was in charge that night didn't do the right thing.

And yes Rick - you could be right about him pushing his civil rights issue, I don't know for sure about that.

Clowns will always be clowns so I think the judge will be best to sort out what happened that night.

I think the Hate Crime only escalates it from a summons to a misdemeanor charge.

Either way - boys will be boys - hehe

Chilly - thinking it's time for a new subject

“My POV”

Rochester, N.Y.

#19 Mar 19, 2008
I think Chilly Willie is right about a new subject. Next.
Deacon Chilly Willie wrote:
I still don't understand why the bartender or whoever was in charge that night didn't do the right thing.
And yes Rick - you could be right about him pushing his civil rights issue, I don't know for sure about that.
Clowns will always be clowns so I think the judge will be best to sort out what happened that night.
I think the Hate Crime only escalates it from a summons to a misdemeanor charge.
Either way - boys will be boys - hehe
Chilly - thinking it's time for a new subject

Rochester, NY

#20 Mar 23, 2008
I Agree! Well Said.
DMB wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spencerport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bannon Thinks Trump Will Fail 2 min IescapedNY 12
Can Bannon Take Down Trump? 16 min IescapedNY 1
Trump Campaign Hiring Black Actors at $10/hr 59 min DeWayne 2
Police boycott of Dunkin Doughnuts is fully on. 1 hr IescapedNY 11
Rachel Barnhart is just looking for a job 3 hr IescapedNY 22
Trumps Appoval Rating Now 10% 4 hr pretend helicopte... 8
Sheriff Patrick O'Flynn calls Todd Baxter "Naive" 10 hr Bovenzi13 6

Spencerport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance