Time to Pay UP.............

Time to Pay UP.............

Posted in the Spencerport Forum

CapriceClassic

“Reality is settling in...”

Since: Nov 08

Stop sweating the small stuff.

#1 May 19, 2013
A Daily News investigation of Sbarra and his team of cops exposed repeated charges of illegal searches, unprovoked violence, racial profiling, racial slurs and intimidation that cost the city more than $1.5 million in settlements.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/...

CapriceClassic

#3 May 19, 2013
The figure could rise: Nine of the nearly 60 lawsuits filed against the accused rogue cops are still pending.
Sbarra is involved in at least 15 of the suits — others involving his team reference various John and Jane Doe officers, whose names typically don’t come to light when there are quick settlements. He’s been the target of five to 10 Internal Affairs investigations, the lieutenant acknowledged in a deposition. And he’s racked up a staggering 30 civilian complaints, among the most on the force.

City settlements involving the 37-year-old married father total nearly $500,000.

Just four months before his promotion, court papers say, Sbarra lost 20 days of vacation after an Internal Affairs probe into an unauthorized search of an ex-Marine’s apartment. His union head said Sbarra pleaded guilty to the department charges because he couldn’t get promoted until the case was closed out.

Critics say Sbarra’s promotion, despite his stunning string of lawsuits and civilian complaints, is indicative of how the NYPD turns a blind eye to the mountains of litigation filed against it every year, and its nonchalant attitude toward police misconduct.

“While his case is extensive, it’s also emblematic of the department’s lack of aggressive oversight of officers engaged in abusive conduct,” said Robert Gangi, director of the Police Reform Organizing Project for the Urban Justice Center.

Gangi said while some criminals and dealers certainly know how to game the system,“when an officer has been sued 15 times, and when there are 30 (Civilian Complaint Review Board) complaints ... Where there’s this much smoke, there’s fire.”

The News found Sbarra’s NYPD record, dating back to 2004, was more jailhouse than precinct house. He cut his teeth in the Bronx before working some of Brooklyn’s toughest neighborhoods, including Bedford-Stuyvesant and Bushwick.

- He and a second cop, with black tape over their badge numbers, called a young Brooklyn barbershop owner a “n-----” during a traffic stop in Bushwick. Settlement:$19,500, including $1,000 Sbarra had to pay out of his own pocket after the city, in a rare move, refused to represent him. Sbarra was found guilty of departmental charges related to the incident, but “Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly dismissed all charges,” Sbarra said in a 2012 deposition.

- He strip-searched a black city paralegal, pulling the man’s underwear down with his boot, at Bedford-Stuyvesant’s 81st Precinct stationhouse. The suspect was charged with marijuana possession; his lawyer later suggested the drugs were planted. Settlement 30,000.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/...

CapriceClassic

#4 May 19, 2013
Steel City Steelers wrote:
Shut the eff up, Classless. We had a freakin war zone right here in Rochester last night and you, you little pansy, go scour the national news for crap that doesn't directly effect us or our loved ones. You are a prime example of what is wrong with this "community". Run and hide behind your political correctness, you tard. You disgust me.
BYTCH please!!!

CapriceClassic

#6 May 19, 2013
BANNED IENY.........I already commented. Why is it so important to have MY input????

Am I THAT Important to YOU and YOUR ilk ???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spencerport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trash 17 min social wedge 19
Great a speech by Trump at CPac! 25 min IescapedNY 11
I believe in a world where the people of topix 1 hr Feedthehomelessyo... 2
Smash & Trash 1 hr IescapedNY 25
News Susan Peirez kicked off Delta flight is placed ... 2 hr TYRONE UNEMPLOYED... 4
List of people I've ran off topix 3 hr Colabri 6
The Bruce Popper Era Is Over 3 hr Colabri 8

Spencerport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spencerport Mortgages