No one injured in blaze

No one injured in blaze

There are 65 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Aug 19, 2008, titled No one injured in blaze. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

NORTON: The cause of a garage explosion Tuesday that set a bungalow on Clubside Drive on fire is under investigation by the Norton Fire Department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

huh

Bedford, OH

#42 Aug 22, 2008
I'm not sure what the big issue is concerning the time frame. I've read many reports of AFD being on scene for several hours fighting a house fire.
Norton

Salem, OH

#43 Aug 22, 2008
akron ff wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow "grammy", maybe the Norton Fire Department needs you on their trucks. You obviously understand firefighting and engineering way better than the people who actually do it as their career. Maybe if you were on one of those numerous trucks at that housefire, it would have only take 1 instead of 2 hours to put out that routine housefire!
If you are actually an "Akron FF" as you say, which I doubt, I am so glad you work there and not here. You are so full of yourself. Talk about engineering - an old lady, dog groomer and housewife know more about engineering than the engineers that inspected the building. Sure they do, just like you know what you are talking about. What we have here is a group of people who like to do nothing but cause trouble.
OHIO

Dayton, OH

#44 Aug 22, 2008
huh wrote:
I'm not sure what the big issue is concerning the time frame. I've read many reports of AFD being on scene for several hours fighting a house fire.
There is a difference in bringing a fire under control and time on scene. After a structure fire, there is a process called overhaul. That is the time when firefighters go in a remove all the damaged and potential hazardous material. That is a process that is very time consuming. And one question. Why in the pictures from the ABJ are there so many firefighters standing around, without coats on, and even sitting in the grass while there is a crew on the roof while flame and heavy smoke coming from the roof. That sure does intill confidence in me if I were a Norton resident!
huh

Bedford, OH

#45 Aug 22, 2008
LOL....oh man...just got a look at the pics. Was getting ready to rip akron ff for being arrogant.
Don't care about on scene time, but if that were AFD, someone would be on the tenth floor tending to bite marks all over his a##!!
akron ff

Dayton, OH

#46 Aug 22, 2008
OHIO wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a difference in bringing a fire under control and time on scene. After a structure fire, there is a process called overhaul. That is the time when firefighters go in a remove all the damaged and potential hazardous material. That is a process that is very time consuming. And one question. Why in the pictures from the ABJ are there so many firefighters standing around, without coats on, and even sitting in the grass while there is a crew on the roof while flame and heavy smoke coming from the roof. That sure does intill confidence in me if I were a Norton resident!
Thank you OHIO. That has been my point from the beginning. I can't imagine what would happen if that was a home in Akron and they had pictures of us standing and sitting around while the home behind us is still burning. I don't care if I was exhausted, my gear and my tank would still be on in case that ONE crew on the roof needed help. I believe every officer on the department would have a boot in my rear. And I'm sure the ABJ would not be so kind to us as well. Maybe from looking at those pictures, people can understand why I would question how long it took them to put that fire out. It's not arrogance I'm trying to show, it's wanting people in my profession to be accountable for what they do. I commend that ONE crew on that roof trying to contain that fire while there were so many other onlookers. I'll bet that fire looked pretty impressive from outside for those guys while a family just lost their home.
Retired FD

Akron, OH

#48 Aug 22, 2008
akron ff wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you OHIO. That has been my point from the beginning. I can't imagine what would happen if that was a home in Akron and they had pictures of us standing and sitting around while the home behind us is still burning. I don't care if I was exhausted, my gear and my tank would still be on in case that ONE crew on the roof needed help. I believe every officer on the department would have a boot in my rear. And I'm sure the ABJ would not be so kind to us as well. Maybe from looking at those pictures, people can understand why I would question how long it took them to put that fire out. It's not arrogance I'm trying to show, it's wanting people in my profession to be accountable for what they do. I commend that ONE crew on that roof trying to contain that fire while there were so many other onlookers. I'll bet that fire looked pretty impressive from outside for those guys while a family just lost their home.
Shame on you, if you had any time at all on the job you would know that the news papers never seem to get anything correct. So, since you are passing out judgement, do you know what is happening on the C side of the building? Do you know what is going on in the interior? Was it safe for anyone to be near this structure? If there were multiple explosions, as reported by neighbors and the FD, did the fire find a concealed attic space? With all of your apparent knowledge of fire fighting I would think you would know a fire can run a truss line or find a concealed space, and by the time you get to the scene it is beyong making a quick stop. Did you consider constuction of the house, how about modifications by the current owners? What about rehab? What was the tempareture that day? Do you not rehab in the big city? I spent 32 years on a department larger than any this area, and rehab was an important part of firefighter safety, you should know
all about dehydration,right? Did you ever stop and think maybe with attack and overhaul it was two hours, or did you just read the paper and pass judgement? I am ashamed that a fire fighter would attack another department with only information gathered from the daily newspaper. Ask yourself this, has the ABJ ever done wrong by your department? I bet it has.
Buckeye fan

AOL

#49 Aug 22, 2008
Retired FD wrote:
<quoted text>Shame on you, if you had any time at all on the job you would know that the news papers never seem to get anything correct. So, since you are passing out judgement, do you know what is happening on the C side of the building? Do you know what is going on in the interior? Was it safe for anyone to be near this structure? If there were multiple explosions, as reported by neighbors and the FD, did the fire find a concealed attic space? With all of your apparent knowledge of fire fighting I would think you would know a fire can run a truss line or find a concealed space, and by the time you get to the scene it is beyong making a quick stop. Did you consider constuction of the house, how about modifications by the current owners? What about rehab? What was the tempareture that day? Do you not rehab in the big city? I spent 32 years on a department larger than any this area, and rehab was an important part of firefighter safety, you should know
all about dehydration,right? Did you ever stop and think maybe with attack and overhaul it was two hours, or did you just read the paper and pass judgement? I am ashamed that a fire fighter would attack another department with only information gathered from the daily newspaper. Ask yourself this, has the ABJ ever done wrong by your department? I bet it has.
Why shame on akron ff? I think he has a pretty good point. Norton Officer stated that they decided to go defensive because there was fire in the attic. I'm not sure where you worked, but I don't know of many fire departments pulling out all interior crews because there was fire in the attic. Last time I checked fire moved up. If you go defensive, then go defensive. It doesn't mean, let's pull everybody out, but then put a crew on the roof. The same roof which is right above that scary fire that was in the attic. The only time I have ever seen a fire department go defensive on a housefire is when it was fully involved. Unless I'm mistaken, with your 32 years of experience, wouldn't you open the ceilings and walls to find that fire. Just a question.
NFD Officer

Salem, OH

#50 Aug 22, 2008
I think the pictures prove my point exactly. The fire was in the main part of the house in the attic. The Firefighters on the roof were making access from the outside into the attic to avoid a possible roof collapse on them. as for a lot of guys standing around I think the picture shows a crew on the roof beside the fire making access and a crew watching from the ground with the IC and Safety Officer, probably a safety issue incase the crew on the roof needs anything or has a problem. The other pictures show people doing rehab and one crew doing an exterior, containment. Great pictures show exactly what was going on and how the fire was contained the the attic and above on the main portion of the house. The guys rehabing aren't even NFD just incase you were wondering.
Absolutely_Corre ct

Salem, OH

#51 Aug 22, 2008
akron ff wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Akron FF you are absolutely correct and thank you for your accurate observations. Maybe Norton should go with the subcontracting employment route and bring in the professionals.

Great pick up on the "officer" with the bad attitude also. They claim to only care about the welfare of the people of the city yet behind closed doors their obviously are issues.
akron ff

AOL

#52 Aug 22, 2008
NFD Officer wrote:
I think the pictures prove my point exactly. The fire was in the main part of the house in the attic. The Firefighters on the roof were making access from the outside into the attic to avoid a possible roof collapse on them. as for a lot of guys standing around I think the picture shows a crew on the roof beside the fire making access and a crew watching from the ground with the IC and Safety Officer, probably a safety issue incase the crew on the roof needs anything or has a problem. The other pictures show people doing rehab and one crew doing an exterior, containment. Great pictures show exactly what was going on and how the fire was contained the the attic and above on the main portion of the house. The guys rehabing aren't even NFD just incase you were wondering.
Well, if that is what you see, then that is what you see. If you are so concerned with the roof collapsing, why would you have a crew on the roof in the first place. Yes, I know, they were on a roof slightly lower than the roof on fire. But you don't think that crew is in any less danger being on that roof than being inside? I suppose "going defensive" at a fire has different meaning with different departments. I guess, bottom line, I would be embarrassed in the city of Akron if we showed up and let an attic fire burn for two hours. I would be disappointed in my officers if they were so scared by fire in an attic that they would pull out of an interior attack on a one story housefire. If you are that scared of fire, maybe you should try being farmers or something.
Applause

Salem, OH

#53 Aug 22, 2008
akron ff wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if that is what you see, then that is what you see. If you are so concerned with the roof collapsing, why would you have a crew on the roof in the first place. Yes, I know, they were on a roof slightly lower than the roof on fire. But you don't think that crew is in any less danger being on that roof than being inside? I suppose "going defensive" at a fire has different meaning with different departments. I guess, bottom line, I would be embarrassed in the city of Akron if we showed up and let an attic fire burn for two hours. I would be disappointed in my officers if they were so scared by fire in an attic that they would pull out of an interior attack on a one story housefire. If you are that scared of fire, maybe you should try being farmers or something.
Yes and maybe to relieve their "backdraft" stress a good round of cow tipping, oh the smells, how can they take it.
NFD Officer

Salem, OH

#54 Aug 22, 2008
akron ff wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you didn't notice the fire that is through the roof, that would obviously be unsafe to be on and have a great possibility of collapse, probably more so than our station but eventually they will both collapse. The roof that they are on looks to be an addition so I would feel safer on that than under a ceiling that is probably fully envolved. Plus the roof that they are on doesn't even have any smoke coming from the eves or the open window and they more than likely checked it before going up there. I don't think anyone was scare just being safe, risk a life for a life not property. We save property also, but property can be replaced my crews life can't.

Don't forget if it weren't for farmers you wouldn't have anything to eat.
akron ff

AOL

#55 Aug 22, 2008
NFD Officer wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you didn't notice the fire that is through the roof, that would obviously be unsafe to be on and have a great possibility of collapse, probably more so than our station but eventually they will both collapse. The roof that they are on looks to be an addition so I would feel safer on that than under a ceiling that is probably fully envolved. Plus the roof that they are on doesn't even have any smoke coming from the eves or the open window and they more than likely checked it before going up there. I don't think anyone was scare just being safe, risk a life for a life not property. We save property also, but property can be replaced my crews life can't.
Don't forget if it weren't for farmers you wouldn't have anything to eat.
Thank you for the livestock and farming update! I have been to enough housefires to know that it takes a while before a fire can work its way through a roof. Besides, we're not talking lightweight truss construction here. Single-story, wood, balloon constructed houses that are free burning and fully involved usually don't collapse. Even if you do let them burn for two hours. Fires burn their way up. If the fire involvement was in the attic, then how much damage do you expect to see on the ceiling trusses? Not much at all. Was there even any smoke on the ground floor? Probably not much heat either! Now how much water damage was done on the ground floor using your beloved water shuttle, dumping thousands of gallons through that tiny little hole? Way to go, you installed new skylights for that family! Just because you may be disgruntled about your levy problems doesn't mean you have to provide a crummy fire service!
NFD Officer

Salem, OH

#56 Aug 22, 2008
akron ff wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the livestock and farming update! I have been to enough housefires to know that it takes a while before a fire can work its way through a roof. Besides, we're not talking lightweight truss construction here. Single-story, wood, balloon constructed houses that are free burning and fully involved usually don't collapse. Even if you do let them burn for two hours. Fires burn their way up. If the fire involvement was in the attic, then how much damage do you expect to see on the ceiling trusses? Not much at all. Was there even any smoke on the ground floor? Probably not much heat either! Now how much water damage was done on the ground floor using your beloved water shuttle, dumping thousands of gallons through that tiny little hole? Way to go, you installed new skylights for that family! Just because you may be disgruntled about your levy problems doesn't mean you have to provide a crummy fire service!
Just find out that all of your work was for nothing since you didn't even registered voters to sign your petition. Maybe you shouldn't act like a Firefighter if you truely aren't one. Keep circling the wagons I am sure you can find some more faults with us like it takes so long to get to the hospital. Apparently you think that I believe the whole structure was going to collapse when I only stated the roof which is gone maybe I do know what I am talking about.
akron ff

AOL

#57 Aug 22, 2008
NFD Officer wrote:
<quoted text>
Just find out that all of your work was for nothing since you didn't even registered voters to sign your petition. Maybe you shouldn't act like a Firefighter if you truely aren't one. Keep circling the wagons I am sure you can find some more faults with us like it takes so long to get to the hospital. Apparently you think that I believe the whole structure was going to collapse when I only stated the roof which is gone maybe I do know what I am talking about.
Well, the only reason fire burns through a roof after 2 hours on scene is by letting it happen with poor firefighting decisions. Maybe you could have called in for an airstrike from an air tanker. Even by dumping several thousand gallons at once on that house probably wouldn't have brought that ceiling down. It's a matter of preference. It's usually best for a fire department to put fires out, not let them go out because they burn through the roof and there is nothing left to burn.
Whoooptee

Salem, OH

#58 Aug 22, 2008
NFD Officer wrote:
<quoted text>
So what about your stupid levy I could give a royal crap. I enjoy the fact that others laugh at you!

The tension will never go away.

Whoever this person is they know what they are talking about. Oh and by the way my conscious is clear.

Now go play.
LATE

Salem, OH

#59 Aug 23, 2008
I AM GLAD EVERYBODY IS OK, BUT THE HOUSE WAS IN FORECLOSURE SO IAM SURE THE BANK IS NOT HAPPY.
oh gimme a break

Salem, OH

#60 Aug 23, 2008
I've read all the comments by akron ff, and I'm really thinking he must be a rookie. He must not have been at too many fires or we would know that most fires are organized clusterf**ks. If he thinks every fire in Akron has gone perfectly, he has a lot to learn. I've been to many fires where things just didn't go as planned.....it doesn't matter which station you're at, sometimes things happen...and you have to recover and move on. Although my first impressions of the pictures were critical, in reality we can't judge anyone by pictures. Get off your soapbox - if you are so interested in improving the outlying departments why don't you volunteer to teach a class now and then.
Buckeye fan

AOL

#61 Aug 23, 2008
oh gimme a break wrote:
I've read all the comments by akron ff, and I'm really thinking he must be a rookie. He must not have been at too many fires or we would know that most fires are organized clusterf**ks. If he thinks every fire in Akron has gone perfectly, he has a lot to learn. I've been to many fires where things just didn't go as planned.....it doesn't matter which station you're at, sometimes things happen...and you have to recover and move on. Although my first impressions of the pictures were critical, in reality we can't judge anyone by pictures. Get off your soapbox - if you are so interested in improving the outlying departments why don't you volunteer to teach a class now and then.
I don't think Akron ff ever said fires in Akron always go perfectly. But I do know that AFD is not all that well liked in the surrounding communities. And I'm sure that would go over really well with other departments in the area for a guy from Akron Fire to show up one day and say "Hey, I'm here to teach you guys how to be firefighters". Great idea! Regardless of how much time Akron ff may have on the job, he/she seems to be way ahead of anyone else on here, including you. Considering Akron hasn't had an academy class in almost 4 years, that seems like a decent amount of time to get some fires under his/her belt. With AFD going on almost 17,000 fire calls a year and over 31,000 med calls a year, I would expect a person from AFD would have much more experience than firefighters from the surrounding areas. And besides, since obviously you are one of the little fish in one of the surrounding communities, I sleep much better at night knowing Akron Fire is there to protect me and my home instead of you and the rest of the departments in the surrounding areas! Oh, and by the way, no, AFD would not allow an attic fire to burn for two hours turning that home into a convertable. So just keep buying your purple fire trucks, and remember, AFD is always willing to come put your fires out for you too!
gimme a break

Bedford, OH

#62 Aug 24, 2008
Buckeye fan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think Akron ff ever said fires in Akron always go perfectly. But I do know that AFD is not all that well liked in the surrounding communities. And I'm sure that would go over really well with other departments in the area for a guy from Akron Fire to show up one day and say "Hey, I'm here to teach you guys how to be firefighters". Great idea! Regardless of how much time Akron ff may have on the job, he/she seems to be way ahead of anyone else on here, including you. Considering Akron hasn't had an academy class in almost 4 years, that seems like a decent amount of time to get some fires under his/her belt. With AFD going on almost 17,000 fire calls a year and over 31,000 med calls a year, I would expect a person from AFD would have much more experience than firefighters from the surrounding areas. And besides, since obviously you are one of the little fish in one of the surrounding communities, I sleep much better at night knowing Akron Fire is there to protect me and my home instead of you and the rest of the departments in the surrounding areas! Oh, and by the way, no, AFD would not allow an attic fire to burn for two hours turning that home into a convertable. So just keep buying your purple fire trucks, and remember, AFD is always willing to come put your fires out for you too!
I am not saying that AFD isn't a good department, been with them for over a decade. I am saying we aren't perfect and really don't have much right to second guess other departments. I'm sure Cleveland Fire has had more fires than us,and I wouldn't want someone from there to look at a few pictures and make a snap decision on our tactics. It is unprofessional and uncalled for. As for having someone from AFD give classes to outlying communities, it happens occassionally - and we have been fortunate to receive training from some fine individuals in outlying departments.
Also, as to the purple truck....if its in service, I could give a damn what color it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spencer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rib Fest cookin' up 10th year May '16 cm punk 1
In search of (Mar '16) Mar '16 Smile 1
Review: Hidden Oaks Quarter Horses LLC (Jun '15) Jun '15 Jan Doe-noneya 1
Review: Audio Quake Car Audio Accessories (Dec '14) Dec '14 brazisjr-75 1
News West Salem woman admits to theft from district ... (Mar '14) Nov '14 Canaan_Twp_Girl 11
News Harry R. "J.R." Lee Jr. (Jun '14) Jun '14 Carol Zembower 1
Review: Shawnee Lake Park (Dec '13) Dec '13 wonderful 1

Spencer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spencer Mortgages