No one injured in blaze

No one injured in blaze

There are 65 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Aug 19, 2008, titled No one injured in blaze. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

NORTON: The cause of a garage explosion Tuesday that set a bungalow on Clubside Drive on fire is under investigation by the Norton Fire Department.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Appraisit

Barberton, OH

#1 Aug 20, 2008
Admire her for rescuing her dog....but, she could have put her life and the firefighters lives in danger if something had happened while searching for the animal......glad it worked out...the house can be replaced !
class of 69

Cleveland, OH

#2 Aug 20, 2008
Sorry for the loss of your home, it's devastating! I lost my home by fire in 1977. You will never forget, but I promise you this memory will weaken. Thank God your family is safe!!
levysupporter

Cleveland, OH

#3 Aug 20, 2008
There has been alot of talk about recalling 3mils of the Norton Fire Levy passed last fall. This story shows how important it is to have a fire department in the community.
Thank goodness there were no injuries. Hopefully this family can pick up the pieces and move on. Best of luck to them.
akron ff

Dayton, OH

#4 Aug 20, 2008
2 hours to put out a housefire?

“LOCAL REPORTER DISCOVERS.....”

Since: Jul 08

What? My birth town?

#5 Aug 20, 2008
Thank the Lord the children were not at home at the time. Often people panic and tun back in for belongings. Thankfully woofers was rescued.

ABJ

Two children daughter Sloane, 13, and son Spencer, 17 also weren't at home.

We were always taught not to use contractions in news reporting. My proof reader would always slash that. Much smoother when you say were not--but I doubt the ABJ proof readers ever read Topix.

Back to the fire. When the Barberton Fire Department burned some old houses down for practice several years ago the houses smoldered for hours. It is easy for oxygen to get into a place and rekindle the fire. So two hours is not that long. Especially after several explosions.
a voice

Mantua, OH

#6 Aug 20, 2008
There will be a big investigation and they will still find the 4 wheelers were the culprit.
To think, the folks were saved by work!!!!
Theres a new idea!!!

“LOCAL REPORTER DISCOVERS.....”

Since: Jul 08

What? My birth town?

#7 Aug 20, 2008
See, my copy editor is on vacation. Often people panic and turn back........

My eyes are weak nowadays.
Norton

Cleveland, OH

#9 Aug 20, 2008
Thankfully everyone is safe...even the family pet.
Good firefighters

Sevierville, TN

#10 Aug 20, 2008
Well maybe the ninnies that are sending the petition should realize that a tax levy is nothing compared to the lives that will be lost by the proposed levy cuts.Shame on you old bitty's,now go knit some hankies for these boys to wipe the sweat of their brows. Thank God for NPD and NFD. Thank Satan for Tom Jones and his followers.
Big Boss Man

Sevierville, TN

#11 Aug 20, 2008
shelly the journalist wrote:
See, my copy editor is on vacation. Often people panic and turn back........
My eyes are weak nowadays.
Your views are weak as well, now get back to work before I fire your a$$.
akron ff

Dayton, OH

#12 Aug 20, 2008
shelly the journalist wrote:
Thank the Lord the children were not at home at the time. Often people panic and tun back in for belongings. Thankfully woofers was rescued.
ABJ
Two children daughter Sloane, 13, and son Spencer, 17 also weren't at home.
We were always taught not to use contractions in news reporting. My proof reader would always slash that. Much smoother when you say were not--but I doubt the ABJ proof readers ever read Topix.
Back to the fire. When the Barberton Fire Department burned some old houses down for practice several years ago the houses smoldered for hours. It is easy for oxygen to get into a place and rekindle the fire. So two hours is not that long. Especially after several explosions.
No, actually you are wrong. The fire departments job is to put all the fire out and in a timely manner. That's why we open up walls and pull down ceilings, to make sure that rekindle doesn't happen. And if you have ever been to a working housefire, 2 hours is forever! I am not putting any of the fire departments or their guys down on this fire, it just seems that if we let a house burn for 2 hours in Akron, heads would roll.
Finally

United States

#13 Aug 20, 2008
akron ff wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually you are wrong. The fire departments job is to put all the fire out and in a timely manner. That's why we open up walls and pull down ceilings, to make sure that rekindle doesn't happen. And if you have ever been to a working housefire, 2 hours is forever! I am not putting any of the fire departments or their guys down on this fire, it just seems that if we let a house burn for 2 hours in Akron, heads would roll.
Thank you Akron firefighter! You hit the nail on the head. Things run a little different in old norton. The apparent differences in operating a fire department should give the residents of norton something to think about.
Barberton Fire Department

Bedford, OH

#14 Aug 20, 2008
Finally wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Akron firefighter! You hit the nail on the head. Things run a little different in old norton. The apparent differences in operating a fire department should give the residents of norton something to think about.
You got that right! Good thing this happened in Norton because over in Barberton we would have ordered everyones electric meters to be pulled as a precaution.
CryptoJohn

Ashtabula, OH

#15 Aug 20, 2008
I know nothing about fighting fires or if 2 hours to put out a house fire is too long, but I am glad
we have the brave men and women of the fire departments in the area. I am glad none of them were injured.
Norton

Salem, OH

#16 Aug 20, 2008
Maybe Elaine and Megan could find out where Jackie is staying and see if she will sign their petition. This is the exact reason we need a strong, reliable fire department. It is also the reason no one should be signing that petition. These women do not care about people they only care about their own personal agendas and vendettas. They are a disgrace to their families and this town.
Norton neighbor

San Jose, CA

#17 Aug 20, 2008
I live within a quarter mile of this house. We have had two other house fires in this area in the last several years. I hope the trend does not continue... I wish the family well and hope they can resolve things quickly before school starts.
Nortonian

Salem, OH

#18 Aug 20, 2008
akron ff wrote:
2 hours to put out a housefire?
We do not have hydrants in town. All of the water was being brought in by tankers, which does not speed up the process.
Nojoke

United States

#19 Aug 20, 2008
Nortonian wrote:
<quoted text>
We do not have hydrants in town. All of the water was being brought in by tankers, which does not speed up the process.
We know that! Maybe you should be working on your water source instead of building a station--I don't believe that will save burning houses.
Chaos

AOL

#20 Aug 20, 2008
COPLEY, WADSWORTH, BARBERTON, CHIPPEWA, AND NORTON!!!!!
It took 5 fd's, 2 hours to put out a house fire. The house is less than 2000 sq. ft. Give me a break....Is there a county Fire Dept, kinda like the sheriffs office. If so I'd vote to have them take over.

Norton needs to be annexed all surrounding communities.

We are not A Growing Community, We are a Stagnant Community.
Chaos

AOL

#21 Aug 20, 2008
oops!!

Norton needs to be annexed by surrounding communities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spencer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michelle Sebo Dec '16 Your ingorant 2
News Rib Fest cookin' up 10th year (May '16) May '16 cm punk 1
In search of (Mar '16) Mar '16 Smile 1
Review: Hidden Oaks Quarter Horses LLC (Jun '15) Jun '15 Jan Doe-noneya 1
Review: Audio Quake Car Audio Accessories (Dec '14) Dec '14 brazisjr-75 1
News West Salem woman admits to theft from district ... (Mar '14) Nov '14 Canaan_Twp_Girl 11
News Harry R. "J.R." Lee Jr. (Jun '14) Jun '14 Carol Zembower 1

Spencer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spencer Mortgages