Just Submitted This to ADN (about AA)
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chris Deile

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Dec 21, 2013
Oooops...I served her breakfast through room service. Just read her Wiki page and don't see anything giving indication of her persona being a parody of Sylvie Vartan, but seemed to have gotten that impression from somewhere--maybe from reading an article or soemthing. Maybe not. Deborah harry was in tucson since she was in a low budget film being filmed here.
Chris Deile

Los Angeles, CA

#22 Dec 22, 2013
Looks like they're not publishing it. Hasn't appeared since Tuesday's submission.
Chris Deile

Los Angeles, CA

#23 Dec 22, 2013
Interesting article in ADN today though--'Police use side range of tools to deter bears':

<snippet>

Effectiveness

The effectiveness of the weapons depends on the bear. For most bears, a patrol car's lights and siren are enough, but the ones familiar with the noise may need rubber buckshot or pepper balls.

"I would say they get immune to the noise and lights pretty quickly, especially if they've been around us a lot," Barnett said. "Pain is probably a good deterrent . it (the PepperBall gun) startles them, but doesn't hurt them because they have such thick hides. If you can get a cloud of that OC (hot pepper chemical) around them, they don't like it."

Barnett emphasized that all of the deterrent tools are used with lethal cover: While one officer is firing a pepper ball another officer is covering him with a loaded firearm.

"When we have someone out there with one of these, we also have someone out with a real rifle," he said.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/12/22/3242351/police-...

--Note that people are advised to use pepper spray for bear attacks but are not advised to have someone watching their back with a firearm. Why is that? Canada Parks advises the publi to hire armed Inuit guards for polar bears, yet the U.S.(National Forest Service, National parks, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, etc.--see pamphlet 'Be Bear Aware') advises the public rely solely on pepper spray while they themselves are sure to have lethal force if needed.

I love bears, but this is a very curious public safety issue.
Chris Deile

Los Angeles, CA

#24 Dec 22, 2013
lol; totally forgot about this--Gillian Hills has the best sounding Twist song (even though others have highly enjoyable videos when you search "Twist" with their names--Miranda Martino, Dalida, Bridget Bardot...):

En dansant le twist Gillian Hills
yeyeboyfrance1
Chris Deile

Los Angeles, CA

#25 Dec 22, 2013
The 'Be Bear Aware' pamphlet/website is found online. I'll submit a letter to ADN on this since it doesn't look like they'll publish criticism of AA.
Chris Deile

Los Angeles, CA

#26 Dec 22, 2013
That letter submission (about bear attacks) was posted on this forum but doesn't show now.
Chris Deile

Los Angeles, CA

#27 Dec 22, 2013
This is the letter submitted to ADN; the new thread is not showing:

To the Editor,

Great article on non-lethal means of deterring bears ('Police use side range of tools to deter bears'; 12/22/2013). It includes an important stipulation: "Barnett emphasized that all of the deterrent tools are used with lethal cover: While one officer is firing a pepper ball another officer is covering him with a loaded firearm."

However, that same stipulation is not included in 'Be Bear Aware', a pamphlet advising the public to rely solely on bear spray for bear attacks. It is endorsed and distributed by the U.S. National Forest Service, National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife, and BLM. On the other hand, when the Sierra Club hiker was mauled in his tent in Canada by a polar bear last year, media reported Canada Parks advises people hire armed Inuit guards for polar bears (advice the Sierra Club ignored).

Interesting how Canada advises people use lethal means for bear protection, whereas the U.S. government advises the public to use bear spray (while they themselves use lethal means if necessary).

Sincerely,

Chris Deile
Chris Deile

Los Angeles, CA

#28 Dec 24, 2013
They didn't publish. Just found this though--a really good video of Michele Torr (you might have to be a fan of hers to enjoy it though, as the sound is not too good, but it's great fun to find another of her b/w videos not seen before):

MICHELE TORR - Les papillons (1971)
video by micheldidier
Chris Deile

Los Angeles, CA

#29 Dec 24, 2013
No, I take that back....the sound isn't so bad--you don't have to be a fan to enjoy it. Interesting as it's early 70's; Michele Torr has a different look there than in her 60's videos.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spenard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MicheleTorr and Her Animaux Sat Chris Deile 5
News Weird 41 mins ago 8:06 p.m.Plane diverts to Sea... Jun 22 Christsharians on... 3
Milu Canta: "Alfama nao envelhece"; Portugese s... Jun 21 Chris Deile 29
does anchorage have any ghettos (Mar '09) Jun 21 C Dubb 14
Last Post Wins!!! (Apr '11) Jun 19 _FLATLINE-------- 2,497
News Charge: Alaska man, 19, shot troopers from behind (May '14) Jun 17 What I know 5
Alaska State Troopers (Jan '11) Jun 15 MarlaVous 104
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spenard Mortgages