Alaska's dog whisperer - KTVA

There are 29 comments on the KTVA Anchorage story from May 20, 2008, titled Alaska's dog whisperer - KTVA. In it, KTVA Anchorage reports that:

You've probably heard the wildly popular show called the Dog Whisperer but did you know that Alaska has its own dog whisperer? That's right.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTVA Anchorage.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Doggie Chalet Hotel

Wasilla, AK

#1 May 21, 2008
Robin is Wonderful....!!!
Alaska is so Lucky to have her!
Thanks for your great help!!!
Marie of The Doggie Chalet Hotel
http://www.apluspetcare.com
Dissappointed Customer

Anchorage, AK

#2 Sep 2, 2008
In my opinion this dog trainer is totally incompetent; I paid her $60 for an initial assessment and $580 up front for 8 one hour training sessions. She rescheduled the initial session with a bogus excuse and upon arrival at the rescheduled session she quit exactly 14 minutes into the session stating,“I cannot do this.” I’m no dog expert but a miniature schnauzer should not be that taxing for an “alleged” Dog Whisperer with over 20 years experience. In my opinion she is unprofessional and has no clue on how to properly train a dog! I would never recommend her services to anyone. A complete was of my time and 60 dollar assessment fee. If you have money you want to give away, I will give you my bank routing number.
Eagle River AK

Anchorage, AK

#3 Sep 2, 2008
Robin leaves a lot to be desired from a dog trainer that claims to have over 20 years of experience. I paid in advance for dog training and she was very inconsistent with her analysis of my dog. The first 2 hour session ended very prematurely and she left my dog loose outside of her car door. By no means would I recommend this trainer to anyone, not even my worst enemy.
Frustrated Dog Owner

Anchorage, AK

#4 Aug 3, 2009
My experience with this dog trainer was almost exactly like the two negative reviews above. She rescheduled appointments at the last minute, stood me up for another and then quit the case abruptly. I would warn anyone to avoid this trainer and the headaches and inconveniences guaranteed to follow.
FYI

Anchorage, AK

#5 Aug 3, 2009
she sounds nice on the Eddie Burke show
RTB

Eagle River, AK

#6 Mar 26, 2011
Robin is a head case, avoid her at all costs.
Mobile Dog Trainer

Anchorage, AK

#7 Apr 9, 2011
Just saw the negative old comments above because a friend had found them and thought I should see them. The 1st 3 are all from the same woman. She fails to tell that her schnauzer was extremely aggressive with people and would attack people in the neighborhood. I had requested that she order a special mask muzzle and then put the muzzle on her schnauzer every day for several days before I came for the first training time. I needed to know that the muzzle would stay on when things heated up, and that the dog was at least a little aclimated to the muzzle. She and her husband had the muzzle for over a week before I actually came to work with her dog and never once had they put the muzzle on the dog. I should have immediately stepped back and insisted they try the muzzle on, have the dog wear the muzzle, make sure the muzzle fit properly. I didn't, and that mistake has led this woman to harass me continually over the years. The dog, of course, immediately attacked me outside and the muzzle came off and the dog attacked the leashed, which was not the leather leash I had told them to buy for this work, and began chewing and biting through the leash, and then attacked me.
It was a bad day before I ever got to this woman's house, so it wasn't just the dog, the irresponsible pretentious owners, and the fact that the dog was intent on attacking me, I came to the house feeling a bit low after some bad news, so when the training session basically fell apart, instead of pulling it back together, like I would normally have done, I just quit. I just got into my car, called her from inside my car, told her that I was going to give her her money back but I did not want to work with she and her husband, or her dog.
There have been hundreds and hundreds of dogs and owners since and I have never done that again. It was just one of those days and I should have stayed home.
I gave her her money back and tucked my tail and walked away from this client. She has been so incredibly vindictive since then, probably because she had to have her schnauzer euthanized for biting a child.
She and her husband live in a very large nice home in a very neighborhood. I did feel ill at ease with she and her husband immediately because they questioned everything, and she was very snooty toward like I was the gardner or maid or something. I remember feeling uncomfortable in their home, almost unwelcome. Ah well, with all the dogs and dog owners I've successfully helped over the years, I guess I just have to accept that I can't help everyone. I'm not perfect and I have bad days just like everyone else.
As for the person in Fort Greely, well I just have to chuckle because I don't know anyone in Ft. Greely, and anyone who says I'm a 'head case' obviously doesn't know me at all.
what a joke

Anchorage, AK

#8 Apr 9, 2011
just had robin come over for assessment and she was nice for the most part but very unprofessional about how she was talking. She definitely needs to find another career because dog training should not be what shes doing. She left and called later on that night and said she would not be comfortable working with me.. like really? come on i was nice as can be and really wanted some help with my jobs but obviously her job is to hard for her to handle. I would not recommend her to anyone and would agree with everyone's reviews. shes a joke and don't fall for her.
Mobile Dog Trainer

Anchorage, AK

#9 Apr 10, 2011
Wow, Aaron Caren of Glen Caren mobile home park, I gave you a free assessment for your dogs, was very nice to you and your family, and gave you a great deal of good training information right at the assessment meeting, and then, as I'm leaving your parent's trailer you bring up to me that you almost didn't call me because of some negative comments you had read online. Then you showed them to me. It was a very uncomfortable moment, and after thinking about it when I left the trailer park, I decided that perhaps you would be better working with another trainer. I called you and recommended a great couple who have a company called Tailwinds Pet Services, and gave you their number. I told you after you had pointed out the negative comments made by this former client, that I just didn't feel comfortable working with you and your dogs. I am self employed and now that I'm back in Anchorage my business is really rip roaring again. I don't have to work with anyone I don't feel comfortable with. Usually my clients are able to hire me on the spot, pay me and schedule training times. The fact that you are unable to begin training for over a week and a half because of money issues is another reason I'm not interested in working with you. Also, I found out during the evaluation meeting that the red Lab you own has bitten people/children and you failed to tell me that before I came into your home. I had my face close to this dog's face. I didn't see any aggression until I picked up one of his paws and he growled and showed his teeth. Now part of an evaluation is finding these things out about the dogs in the family, HOWEVER, the fact that you knew this dog would bite people and didn't tell me is sort of irresponsible of you. Tailwinds is an excellent training company and I hope you will use them to get help for your dogs. Don't waste their time calling them, however, until you actually have the money to pay for their services.
Stephanie Powers

Anchorage, AK

#10 Jun 9, 2011
RTB wrote:
Robin is a head case, avoid her at all costs.
Couldnt agree with you more,the real dog whisperer has been informed of her blatant use of his deserving title,she is not professional nor honest!Avoid her and read and watch Ceasar Milan instead.Exersize,dicipline ,affection.....and a calm assertive nature will pay off with your dog,dont throw money away on this Fake!
American Soldier

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#11 Jul 27, 2011
We hired Robin back in may to help us with our recently adopted dog, a shy and noise sensitive German Sheppard mix. She called and canceled our first meeting the day before, said her dog had to have emergency surgery, but meet up with us the next day. After her assessment visit we paid for 4 more visits that never happened. Twice she called last minute and said she couldn't make it. The first time she said, she had to take someone else's dog to the vet for emergency treatment and the second time she had pick up the other persons dog at the vet (which 2 days later she had the dog up for sale on craigslist). The third chance we gave her she claimed she was unable to get on to FT. Richardson because the visitor center line was too long and her phone was dead so she couldn't call us. I know for a fact that the third one was a lie because my husband was at the gate when we were supposed to meet and she wasn't there. We had to pay Robin up front in advance for her service something I was not happy with in the first place, and when we told her we can't keep going on like this she "fired herself" and said it would take her 10 days to refund our money. She needs to budget her money better and not spend it all at once. Any child with a lemonade stand knows that. We had to pay up front so should she!! For someone with 20 years' experience she has a lot to learn about running a business. The little bit of information she did gave us during the assessment could have been pick up watching just 1 episode of the real "Dog Whisperer" with Caesar Millan. Do your research before you hiring her, we found out too late! It is now end of July and we are going to court! It may take me some time but I will get my money back
Old Army

Greenbrier, AR

#12 Jul 27, 2011
I see, said the blind man to the deaf dog, that this person in unscrupulous. Home repair or dog training, don't ever pay in advance.
Oh really

Anchorage, AK

#13 Aug 5, 2011
I've had animals all my life,(between sled dogs and pet dogs, over 35) and my last job taking care of animals and dogs exposed me to the downside of pet owners who don't know what they are doing.
First of all If you are a soldier you DON'T need a dog, you're going to be deployed and your other is probably going to be taking care of the kids Alone. Where does that leave the dog? Kenneled for hours? Not a good thing for the poor animal.
Second, IF you need a dog trainer, then You clearly don't know how to handle the animal yourself and should have gotten something you COULD handle.
Know your limitations. Do NOT take your anger out on someone else because of your incompetence.
IMO those who complain, just threw money at the problem thinking that will fix it, they really don’t know how to take care of it and the animal themselves, and shouldn’t even be breeding, let alone be allowed to have animals.
Apparently "Robin" is doing alright, 5 complaints in 20 years? THINK before you Judge. It makes you look foolish.
American Soldier GSD Help

Anchorage, AK

#14 Aug 12, 2011
If you still need help with your GSD mix help I would love to help you if I can, FREE, though I live in Fairbanks we can still email/phone each other to find me look on flickr.com and search for akfirebug you will see an email link as well as my GSD both rescues and fosters ~ Carol
American Soldier wrote:
We hired Robin back in may to help us with our recently adopted dog, a shy and noise sensitive German Sheppard mix. She called and canceled our first meeting the day before, said her dog had to have emergency surgery, but meet up with us the next day....
American Soldier

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#15 Sep 15, 2011
It is now mid September and we are still waiting for our refund!!
sailor

Anchorage, AK

#17 Sep 19, 2011
wss shocked at how she yelled at a lady at the dog park whose dogs were just playing. was strange from a dog trainer.
Mobile Dog Trainer

Anchorage, AK

#18 Sep 19, 2011
sailor wrote:
wss shocked at how she yelled at a lady at the dog park whose dogs were just playing. was strange from a dog trainer.
The 'lady' didn't recognize the aggression her dogs were displaying and acting out toward my dogs. When I pointed it out, she said they were 'just playing'. Typical ignorance about aggression and what it looks like. Her dogs were ramming into mine, blocking, barking and charging with hair up. Mine were doing none of those things, and focused on going to the bathroom, playing ball, and no barking, no tails up, no aggressive bahavior at all. When a person has 3 or more dogs and doesn't recognize they are behaving as a group in an aggressive way, that owner is headed for a dog fight. My dogs and I go to that park to get away from the larger crowds of dogs and dog owners, people who let their dogs act anyway they want. This woman with her 3 dogs, and me with my 7 dogs, happened to show up at the same time and when I asked her to please get her dogs to stop slamming into mine and trying to instigate a fight, she was in denial. So I told her that I was going to the right and if she and her dogs were going the same way I would not permit her dogs to antagonize and aggravate my dogs the whole time. She went to the left.

When I walk my dogs I don't care what anyone thinks about what I say or do to keep my family / pack safe. I don't permit anyone, or any other dog, to attack or harass my family of dogs. Everyone of my dogs is well mannered, easy going, non-aggressive, not dominant either, and I encourage the owner to take control if their dogs are acting like that. I encourage in a nice way initially, but if they don't do anything, I step in or I get more insistent that they handle their dogs.

I stopped ath this same park a couple of days earlier and a woman was walking her GSD off leash, and I had 7 dogs with me. She became very frightened because her dog is dog aggressive and starts fights a lot. She had him OFF LEASH and an off leash dog park. She was holding the collar of her GSD and yelling at me to get my dogs. I did get them with voice command, but yelled back to her (she was at a distance) that my dogs were there to have fun and if her dog attacks dogs, he shouldn't be there. She was pissed off, but the truth is painful. I am not there to train anyone or get business. I'm there to take care of my own family of dogs. period. I don't want my dogs to bother anyone, and I don't want anyone else's dogs to attack mine.
CONCERNED CITIZEN

Anchorage, AK

#19 May 17, 2012
ROBIN, GIVE IT UP YOU ARE A HEADCASE WITH NO BUSINESS BEING IN THE DOG TRAINING BUSINESS. YOU MAKE AND BREAK APPPOINTMENTS WITH YOUR CLIENTS ON A REGULAR BASIS. IF MORE THAN A HANDFUL OF PEOPLE ARE SAYING THIS IT MUST HAVE SOME MERIT. THE ONLY THING YOU ARE AFTER IS SUCKERING PEOPLE OUT OF MONEY IN ADVANCE. IF ANYONE AFTER READING THIS IS STILL STUPID ENOUGH TO HIRE HER MAKE SURE YOU PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD SO YOU CAN BACK OUT THE CHARGES LIKE WE DID. THE FACT THAT SHE CHARGES A 60 DOLLAR ASSESSMENT FEE IS STILL FUNNY TO THIS DAY. HER ASESSMENT WAS STUPID, SHE WAS DOING SOME JEDI MIND TRICK THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO MAKE MY DOG SUBMIT TO HER WILL, BUT HE JUST KEPT ON LICKING AND JUMPING ON HER. CAESAR MILAN WOULD NOT BE IMPRESSED AND NEITHER WAS I. IF YOU ARE STILL SET AT GIVING YOUR MONEY AWAY GIVE ME A SHOUT, I'M NO DOG WHISPERER BUT I AM COMFIDENT I CAN DO BETTER THAN ROBIN. ATLEAST IF I FAIL, I WILL GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK AND TREAT YOU WITH RESPECT. SHAME ON YOU ROBIN FOR CALLING YOURSELF A DOG TRAINER.
CONCERNED CITIZEN

Anchorage, AK

#20 May 17, 2012
Robin you are the dog whisperer you should have taken control of the situation...lol
CONCERNED CITIZEN

Anchorage, AK

#21 May 17, 2012
The Doggie Chalet Hotel wrote:
Robin is Wonderful....!!!
Alaska is so Lucky to have her!
Thanks for your great help!!!
Marie of The Doggie Chalet Hotel
http://www.apluspetcare.com
Robin must have posted this, so obvious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spenard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Sarah Palin's Alaska' ends TLC run ... but buz... (Jan '11) 14 hr Tazo 58
Ancestry searcher Mon Ancestry Searcher 1
News Ex-Stripper Gets 99 Years For Murder Plot (Aug '08) May 23 Anne 32
Review: J Dirk Lawyer DC May 22 mac 1
News AK Beat: Anchorage police ask for public's help... (Oct '14) Oct '14 andres 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Alaska (Di... (Oct '10) Apr '13 gee 6
News Missing woman's family to hold vigil on her bir... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Cindy Holland 1
More from around the web

Spenard People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]