Indianapolis archdiocese downsizing in Southern Indiana

Jun 9, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Indianapolis Star

The archdiocese of Indianapolis says it will decrease the number of parishes in southern Indiana from 30 to 20 due to shifting populations in area communities.

Comments
1 - 20 of 79 Comments Last updated Jul 20, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

I read in the Star last weekend that St Gabriel's was on the "endangered" list and its future would be reevaluated in another year. Is it because the membership has dropped considerably or just because Connersville itself has shrunk in numbers? I would think closing the church would be devastating to the town for any number of reasons. Surely that would mean the school would also be closed? I just can not imagine that.
Survey

Connersville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

A lot of the parishioners have complained about the current priest at St. Gabes in the past. This may have something to do with it.
Zznuts

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

St Gabs is raising money with pledges and spending lots of money. New heating, air conditioning fixing pews and kneelers, new carpet
It wont close. If they could get current priest out, they would have more members but he has another year, some jubilee (50 years of priesthood).
On line article does not mention endangered list...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2013

Judged:

That's good to hear. It WAS in the actual newspaper article. Sorry to hear about the priest situation though. That can happen. The church is beautiful and historical so I hope the parishioners can hang in there another year.
Trish

Connersville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

JCPTM wrote:
That's good to hear. It WAS in the actual newspaper article. Sorry to hear about the priest situation though. That can happen. The church is beautiful and historical so I hope the parishioners can hang in there another year.
Are you sure it is the St. Gabriel's in Connersville they were talking about? There is also a St. Gabriel's Catholic Church in Indianapolis.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

They didn't say St Gabriel's, the article named a few towns and one was Connersville. I knew ST G was the only Catholic church in C'Ville.
Catholicism is a Cult

Muncie, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

The bottoms of many boys will be spared with less priests around.

The Catholic Church is the most connected and organized pedophile ring in the world. Its front as a religious organization is just a ruse.
Lord Xenu

Connersville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

I found something that changed my life, Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology. Many people call Scientology a cult but, for me, it saved my life. Before I became "clear" I too had all So, this Sunday stay home and study some Scientology.
a Lutheran

Connersville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

Catholicism is a Cult wrote:
The Catholic Church is the most connected and organized pedophile ring in the world. Its front as a religious organization is just a ruse.
Your am idiot. Did you know that one in five US citizens get their healthcare from a Catholic hospital? Did you know that the Catholic congregations in the US are the single largest contributors to charities? I could keep going on but I feel it would be a waste of my time, as you are obviously an uneducated bigot.
Grand Dragon

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

a Lutheran wrote:
<quoted text>
Your am idiot. Did you know that one in five US citizens get their healthcare from a Catholic hospital? Did you know that the Catholic congregations in the US are the single largest contributors to charities? I could keep going on but I feel it would be a waste of my time, as you are obviously an uneducated bigot.
Your words about the healthcare are great but you can't deny that there is a huge problem with the priests preying on boys. Get your head out of the sand.
Mary

Batesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Grand Dragon wrote:
<quoted text>
Your words about the healthcare are great but you can't deny that there is a huge problem with the priests preying on boys. Get your head out of the sand.
You and "a Lutheran' are probably
related. don't agree with your thinking.
a Lutheran

Connersville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Grand Dragon wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately I would have to agree with the priest issue. I was simply trying to get across to the moron that the catholic church is not a cult. They are actually a great service to our society. They do have a ways to go to mend there fences with the pedophile issues. With that being said some of the most "Christian" folks I know are Catholics.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

a Lutheran wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately I would have to agree with the priest issue. I was simply trying to get across to the moron that the catholic church is not a cult. They are actually a great service to our society. They do have a ways to go to mend there fences with the pedophile issues. With that being said some of the most "Christian" folks I know are Catholics.
The Catholic Church is not a great service to society and never has been. These so called "catholic" hospitals you speak of are simply by name. Hospitals are business and if you think other wise you need to read. I would be more than happy to challenge any point you could make that Catholicism isn't a cult. It has been since Constantine decided to "convert" to appease the masses meanwhile creating "church" doctrine to manipulate people.

“wanna dance?”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

There are an estimated 1.2 billion Roman Catholics in the world.

The word cult in current popular usage is a pejorative term for a new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre by the larger society.

I hardly think that Catholicism fits the description of 'cult'.
TheChurchLady

Connersville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Fundamentalist Christians are the true cult! Think about it!

“wanna dance?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Catholicism is a Cult wrote:
Pastor arrested for raping mentally handicapped child
Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Tammy Curtis, Staff Writer

A Cave City pastor was arrested on Jan. 25 for felony rape following an investigation that began with an emergency call on Jan. 15. The 911 call was from the mother of a 15-year-old female victim regarding an incident of alleged sexual contact between the pastor and the young woman who is mentally handicapped.

So this AUTOMATICALLY means that ALL protestant pastors rape mentally handicapped women! Right? I thought so.
a Lutheran

Commiskey, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Outside-the-box wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church is not a great service to society and never has been. These so called "catholic" hospitals you speak of are simply by name. Hospitals are business and if you think other wise you need to read. I would be more than happy to challenge any point you could make that Catholicism isn't a cult. It has been since Constantine decided to "convert" to appease the masses meanwhile creating "church" doctrine to manipulate people.
see lady rivers quote below. Seems you are the one that should be fact checking. At least learn the definition before you accuse someone. As for the hospitals I guess the reason you see priests and nuns walking about St. Vincents is because the are prop characters? You will probably continue to believe that 1.5 billion people are wrong......but you are right.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Lady River wrote:
There are an estimated 1.2 billion Roman Catholics in the world.

The word cult in current popular usage is a pejorative term for a new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre by the larger society.

I hardly think that Catholicism fits the description of 'cult'.
Thank you for the copy and paste from wiki encyclopedia. The term "popular usage" tells you it's not the actual definition. Many definitions include the following of a person or leader such as in the Catholic Church. The pope is not the vicar of Christ or His representation on earth.

“wanna dance?”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

ohmygoodness, you caught me out. I copied and pasted! Catholics believe the Pope IS Christs' representative on earth. You do NOT believe it. I have no problem with your beliefs. You shouldn't have a problem with the beliefs of others. Last I checked, we ALL still have the freedom of religion. No?
Jill

Batesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2013

Judged:

Outside-the-box wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a Catholic.......but I have never ever thought of that religion as a 'cult'.......it seems very similar to the Lutheran Religion........If I were to think of any religion as 'cultish' it would be Scientology..........and I could be 100% wrong.....just as I think you are 100% wrong on your judgment on Catholicism.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Speedway Discussions

Search the Speedway Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Officer Renn isn't dead 54 min Ignorance 5
Black and Tired 14 hr Ole John 12
Indianapolis man faces murder charge in shootin... 14 hr Ole John 10
ron and beth steward Sun noisy 1
Carmel doctors arrested for pushing prescriptio... Sun nope 5
Calling on all Anglo Saxons (Dec '12) Sat Boongs are travellers 46
Knockout Game in Broad-Robbers Jul 26 lon brooks 4
•••
•••