Will gas prices hurt Brickyard turnout?

Will gas prices hurt Brickyard turnout?

There are 10 comments on the WISH-TV 8 Indiana News story from Jul 25, 2008, titled Will gas prices hurt Brickyard turnout?. In it, WISH-TV 8 Indiana News reports that:

The Allstate 400 at the Brickyard draws fans from around the country. But will high gas prices put the brakes on attendance this year? The president of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway says there is no doubt a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WISH-TV 8 Indiana News.

Steve

Troy, MI

#1 Jul 25, 2008
I believe the biggest factor of fans not attending nascar races is not gasoline prices, but instead Toyota
Sandy

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jul 25, 2008
Price of the tickets stops me. I'd love to see the good old boys.
Chris

United States

#3 Jul 25, 2008
Steve wrote:
I believe the biggest factor of fans not attending nascar races is not gasoline prices, but instead Toyota
Good point. I've heard that same comment from many folks this year. Sad thing is that Toyota is going to win at some point. There spending so much money on this, they're going to win.

It's not going to be a matter of who has the best car anymore. It's going to be who has the most money to spend, which is why I hate NASCAR.

“Headlines are over rated”

Since: Jul 08

Grabill, IN

#4 Jul 25, 2008
It's my income level that keeps me from going. Since housing has plummeted, my job isn't what it use to be, so I go nowhere, despite the cost of gas. I won't even make it to qualifying, which is far cheaper.
I also agree with Steve, that Toyota will be a huge deterent for die hard fans.
NE Indiana

Franklin Park, IL

#5 Jul 25, 2008
"Sad thing is that Toyota is going to win at some point. There spending so much money on this, they're going to win."
Going to win? Who do you think has been winning most of the races in both series this year? Kyle Busch in the Toyota #18. They ARE winning.
Jon

Warsaw, IN

#6 Jul 25, 2008
Toyota has the mind set of "Win at any cost." Just because they have done more R&D and are winning that makes them the "Bad Guys"? There are more american parts on a Toyota than there is on my Yukon. Wake up people.
gamerules

Chicago, IL

#7 Jul 26, 2008
I think it will lower the attendance and then less hot dogs and cokes also because of the economy, you know es malo!
Joe Sixpack

Ambler, PA

#8 Jul 27, 2008
I quit spending money on NASCAR events and collectibles when they went Toyota and COT. Like Richard Petty once called it, "NASROC", it's all the same stuff.
CMeyer

Peoria, IL

#9 Jul 29, 2008
I've gone to the brickyard for the last six years and just recently found out the Ted Horn is my third cousin. This was some really cool information I ran across and I could not wait to get to the brickyard to go into the museum to see what was in there. I saw his car he raced and some pictures of him - which looked like our family. It was pretty neat! The brickyard will always have a place in my heart - more than ever now!!! I wish my dad was here to know this!

With the economy the way it is, this year, the brickyard, was my vacation....living in Peoria, Illinois!!!

“Headlines are over rated”

Since: Jul 08

Grabill, IN

#10 Jul 31, 2008
The proof was in the race coverage. The stands were nearly empty in some parts of the track. The commentators didn't even mention the attendance that I can recall.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Speedway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Young Stefan Halper Played The Role of Oswald... 20 min nono 8
Bruce Kaityln Jenner 3 hr RobotTruckers 6
TruthBeKnown 12 hr truth 5
News Hookah bar slated to open in downtown Richmond 15 hr lol 2
Another School Shooting 21 hr whatever 28
street sellers on 38th near keystone, what are ... Thu truth 2
too many blacks in brownsburg Wed Ablackdude 4

Speedway Jobs

Personal Finance

Speedway Mortgages