Smaller schools help kids fit in better

Smaller schools help kids fit in better

There are 7 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 26, 2008, titled Smaller schools help kids fit in better. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Northwest High School in the Indianapolis Public Schools district sits barely one mile due north of Speedway High School.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

ProspectorBill

Ft Mitchell, KY

#1 Feb 26, 2008
Ann,
You are right. The people that want to keep consolidating school districts for efficiency are doing an enormous disservice to the students. Imagine if BD were broken into 5 schools. You would have 60 varsity basketball players instead of 12. 5 sets of class officers. 5 x the number of any activity. It would get them involved and prepare them for the real world.
Frustrated

United States

#2 Feb 26, 2008
Your point is well taken. That was the same we used at Pittsboro before we consolidated with N. Salem & Lizton. Guess the students are graduating at a decent rate anyway. But you forget that Speedway has an excellent tax rate due to mfg. & other outside businesses that contribute taxes to the school base. Other towns are not as fortunate, so it costs more for them to educate smaller classes & offer extensive curriculum to the students. Are you suggesting that several at NorthWest be transferred to Speedway to help improve their graduation rates? It is a well known fact that Speedway cannot extend its boundaries for the city thus increasing their own school enrollment. Supt.White is open to suggestions I presume.
Greg

Marysville, OH

#3 Feb 26, 2008
Do you really believe it is school size that explains such disparate outcomes?
ProspectorBill

Ft Mitchell, KY

#4 Feb 26, 2008
Greg wrote:
Do you really believe it is school size that explains such disparate outcomes?
Is it all? No. Since they are only a few miles apart I'm guessing you are looking for either the ethnic make-up or IPS leadership.
A friend of mine did his doctorate on school size relevant to performance. Every piece of data he collected indicated that above 5-600 students, schools lose their efficacy.
But you believe what you will.
ron kohl

Olalla, WA

#5 Feb 26, 2008
In the 1960's the call was for larger consolidated schools. In smaller counties, small township schools were replaced with consolidated schools. This
would be the greatest boon to education
in Indiana. I find it interesting th
hear the call for smaller schools,
outside the box

Deputy, IN

#6 Feb 27, 2008
...and the principle applies to churches as well.
Well

Brownsburg, IN

#7 Feb 27, 2008
Those poor students at Carmel High School...in one of the largest high schools in the state. Clearly getting a sub-standard education!

Gee...do you think that the difference in demographics (specifically the number of students on free/reduced lunch status) might make a difference when comparing Speedway (36% of students on free/reduced lunch) and Northwest (77% of students on free/reduced lunch)???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Speedway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Suspected Burger Chef Perps... 1 hr Indythugs 8
Misty Allen's House is located at 6361 River Ru... (Nov '16) 1 hr MISTY RAE ALLEN 9
10th Street Prostitutes in the 50s 60s (May '12) 5 hr victor 435
Race is was why Burger Chef murders happened (Oct '16) 10 hr Turn Yourself In 23
Burger Chef murders can be solved (Oct '16) 13 hr A Different Kind ... 36
The Burger Chef Murders (Dec '13) 13 hr A Different Kind ... 32
The little coke house on Carson 16 hr sowhat 2

Speedway Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Speedway Mortgages