SC may gut programs for 26,000 disabled residents

There are 17 comments on the Lake Wylie Pilot story from Mar 8, 2010, titled SC may gut programs for 26,000 disabled residents. In it, Lake Wylie Pilot reports that:

Lawmakers are considering cutting all services for nearly 26,000 people with disabilities as South Carolina tries to plug a $560 million budget hole.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lake Wylie Pilot.

William

Gray Court, SC

#1 Mar 9, 2010
What does this mean for people like myself that is diabled due to injuries from an accident on the job. I did not ask to get hurt. Correct me but is'nt FICA payed in to provide disabled workers. Ijust don't live off of my disabilty but have two children. And the settlement didnt really help it just got my bills caught up that had gotten behind due to not being able to work.
Lonewolf

Batesburg, SC

#2 Mar 10, 2010
Yet we have billions to spend in Iraq and Afghanistan to rebuild their countries.

“If you can't be a good example”

Since: Mar 07

be a warning

#3 Mar 10, 2010
Not only did SC lawmakers cut off funding for the disabled but they then proceeded to give the Heritage Classic $10 million to build a new putting green.

How much longer are we going to put up with this crap?!
Hound

Columbia, SC

#4 Mar 10, 2010
Lonewolf wrote:
Yet we have billions to spend in Iraq and Afghanistan to rebuild their countries.
What about the aid to Haiti?
How many billions have been wasted there?
They need building codes, not money.
Hound

Columbia, SC

#5 Mar 10, 2010
rwwllms wrote:
Not only did SC lawmakers cut off funding for the disabled but they then proceeded to give the Heritage Classic $10 million to build a new putting green.
How much longer are we going to put up with this crap?!
Stop voting dem and repub.....push for term limits and force politicians to be responsible for their actions at the time of their action.
If the regular person can be terminated from his/her employer, so should the politician.
We shouldnt have to wait and allow them to do even more damage.

be a warning

#6 Mar 10, 2010
Hound wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop voting dem and repub.....push for term limits and force politicians to be responsible for their actions at the time of their action.
If the regular person can be terminated from his/her employer, so should the politician.
We shouldnt have to wait and allow them to do even more damage.
Amen.
Preach on Brother Hound, Preach on!
Southern Belle

Santee, SC

#7 Mar 10, 2010
I urge our legislators to reconsider these inhumane and insensitive cuts. Disabled people are found in every racial, religious and economic group. I suggest they cut "administrative" jobs/salaries across-the-board, which would generate sufficient funds to give to those who are experiencing health problems not of their own choosing. To consider cuts to this vulnerable population is shameful.

Hound

Columbia, SC

#8 Mar 10, 2010
Southern Belle wrote:
I urge our legislators to reconsider these inhumane and insensitive cuts. Disabled people are found in every racial, religious and economic group. I suggest they cut "administrative" jobs/salaries across-the-board, which would generate sufficient funds to give to those who are experiencing health problems not of their own choosing. To consider cuts to this vulnerable population is shameful.
In theory that is how it should work.
In reality our current politicians do not care for anyone except themselves.
Until a situation personally impacts a politician they just dont care.

be a warning

#9 Mar 10, 2010
Hound wrote:
<quoted text>
In theory that is how it should work.
In reality our current politicians do not care for anyone except themselves.
Until a situation personally impacts a politician they just dont care.
But Mr. Hound, pardon me if I'm wrong, but weren't they elected to serve us and our best interests and not their own personal needs nor those of rich lobbyists?

I'm pretty sure that Lincoln didn't say "...a government of the people, by the people, for the people as administrated by selfish Fat Cat lawyers...."

IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present rulers of the US is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States.
Connecticut Sam

Terryville, CT

#10 Jun 12, 2010
My Good People of South Carolina
I feel your pain....
Connecticut Sam

Terryville, CT

#11 Jun 12, 2010
I need the home address and work address of Nurse Mrs. Ava Virgina Aviles who works in or near Spartanbury.. Go in Peace and Praise the LORD, Amen.

lovejoydc@att.net
TD Owen

Conshohocken, PA

#12 Oct 19, 2010
Connecticut Sam wrote:
I need the home address and work address of Nurse Mrs. Ava Virgina Aviles who works in or near Spartanbury.. Go in Peace and Praise the LORD, Amen.
lovejoydc@att.net
What an incredible AZZHOLE you are.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#13 Mar 22, 2011
Owen is the A-HOLE of Ansonia, Connecticut.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#14 Oct 13, 2011
REad: #11. Good night.
Joe Krupinski Cruel Cut

Glen Head, NY

#15 Oct 14, 2011
Southern Belle wrote:
Very well put, Belle, and I agree wholeheartedly with you. The cuts will affect residents, young and old, across the economic board. Cutting administrative salaries WOULD generate funds to avoid this cut for the disabled. And it IS shameful. Can you write or call the proper authorities with the same message as above.
Canadians

Winnipeg, Canada

#16 Oct 28, 2011
Joe Krupinski Cruel Cut wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well put, Belle, and I agree wholeheartedly with you. The cuts will affect residents, young and old, across the economic board. Cutting administrative salaries WOULD generate funds to avoid this cut for the disabled. And it IS shameful. Can you write or call the proper authorities with the same message as above.
What ever happened to old dopey Joe? Must have broke a hip.
Lonewolf

Batesburg, SC

#17 Oct 29, 2011
It couldn't be because of money. We're spending billions in Afghanistan to rebuild a country that wouldn't even back us in a war.So, there must be a reason besides money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spartanburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man accused of running over son, 2, released fr... (Sep '08) May 12 Lilwest5091 3
Police Corruption in South Carolina (Aug '09) May 9 Benna 67
gator @ lake bowen (Jun '10) Apr 24 MSquare 5
News Nikki Haley Supports Spartanburg "Resettlement"... Apr 23 kudzoo 1
Any one knows John Birch from Boothill band? (Aug '09) Apr '15 cynthia 17
Spartanburg Music Selection (Aug '12) Apr '15 Musikologist 12
Review: RTS LLC (Dec '12) Apr '15 Cooper 16
More from around the web

Spartanburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]