Rockport Shoe Co. to move facility do...

Rockport Shoe Co. to move facility down South - Sentinel & Ente...

There are 31 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Feb 27, 2010, titled Rockport Shoe Co. to move facility down South - Sentinel & Ente.... In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

The Rockport Shoe Co. will vacate its warehouse and outlet space in December, resulting in the loss of approximately 150 jobs and a significant tax revenue cut to the town, according to Town Administrator Orlando Pacheco.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ken

Fitchburg, MA

#25 Mar 1, 2010
Jeff,

Please commission a reporter to ask our local representatives and the Governor's office what the state might have done to keep Rockport here, if only....

Exactly what policies, what laws, if they had been in place could Massachusetts have used to over ride this "good business decision".

Jeff, I ask you to do this to help me differenciate fact from fiction in our politicians words.
hmm

Malden, MA

#27 Mar 1, 2010
Stamos wrote:
The problem is, the state's anti-business policies are ultimately driving business away.
The reason for this exodus is simple: Massachusetts has one of the worst business climates in the entire nation. Besides taxes, they also have some of the highest unemployment insurance rates in the country, huge workers compensation rates, and some of the most expensive electrical and water rates, all of which contribute to the high cost of doing business here. Many state regulations are passed without any consideration given to how they might impact businesses, and this over-regulation has made the state less competitive.
3 Big screen TV’s $2800.00
1 Snow Blower $1200.00
1 Chain Saw $275.00
2 Bud light 30 packs $36.00
Halloween Candy $19.99
TAXES $0
Thank you New Hampshire!
God, I love my truck
Because clearly little regulation does great things for the economy, obviously.
jammed

Essex, MA

#28 Mar 9, 2010
nancy wrote:
Jobs created in Leominster pay on average $7.13 per hour. Try to support a family on that. Leominster sold out to retail so can Lancaster, then we can lower the standard of living in an even larger area.
If you want to look at a real jobs creation city check the Westboro model. Great mix of Biotech, Industrial,professional office and retail.
That is great planning. Any fool can attract retail.
$7.13 per hour? How can that be the average when the minimum wage is $8??? Any fool can attract retail? Except the fools in Fitchburg, Ashby, Ashburnham, Gardner, Lunenburg, Shirley, Ayer, Lancaster, Clinton... I think some of those fools would like to be able to get retail jobs in their own towns.
Freedom

Quincy, MA

#29 Mar 10, 2010
nancy wrote:
Jobs created in Leominster pay on average $7.13 per hour. Try to support a family on that. Leominster sold out to retail so can Lancaster, then we can lower the standard of living in an even larger area.
If you want to look at a real jobs creation city check the Westboro model. Great mix of Biotech, Industrial,professional office and retail.
Your right, the only folks retail helps is the town/city and retail. it does nothing or the working man/woman.
call BS

AOL

#30 Mar 10, 2010
nancy wrote:
The Westboro model? You mean being lovated at the intersection of 495 and the pike?
Can't change geography just like you can't change stupid.

As soon as you make the cost of unskilled labor as high as you seem to seek, the sooner you see warehousing and distribution move on.
Make up your mind-you want higher pay or more unskilled labor positions?
You need an educated workforce in biotech, etc, not forklift operators
Democrats

Fitchburg, MA

#31 Mar 10, 2010
There high taxes are forcing everyone out of MA. We are losing all the workers but getting all thspi%^ on welfare. AWESOME
Concerned

Boston, MA

#32 Apr 16, 2010
MA hates business wrote:
Unfortunatly this has been in the works for several years and from what I was told by some people that work there the company has given the option to several to relocate with them or generous severence to stay till the end. Its better than many people received with their pink slips. Massachusetts does nothing to make a business want to stay here, and then you get the **** in the condos whining and complaining about what they do and don't want in their neighborhood but then they **** because their taxes go up because there is no industry to help pay for services.
From a very close source. Not one of those employee have been offered the option to relocate with the company nor will they be.
Adida's has owned the company for about a year and a half. So it has not been to anyones knowledge for four years as stated in another email. And Adida's only hires third party so who would want to relocate and be a temp. Is it worth it. Take the pick slip.
I deeply wish all the employee the best.
FaceFacts

Leominster, MA

#33 Apr 19, 2010
geezer wrote:
<quoted text> Then why has Gilette left, and Budweiser talking of leaving after laying off half its workers? Everything that goes on on devens costs the taxpayers a bundle to support, then when they get a business in there, the state shoves it up their keester. Look at all the landscaping up there, WE pay for that, as well as all the streetlighting, ther are more lights on Jackson road coming in off Rt.2 than there are in the town of Lunenburg. All nice and pretty at the taxpayers expense. Half the businesse up there brought their own people with them so the locals didn't get many Real jobs, and I also read that the big Greenie, evergeen solar, is bailing out to china. Good job guys.
All efforts to be "business friendly" cost the taxpayers a fortune to support. Where do you think all that "friendliness" comes from? Our walletts.

The best part is when these wonderful businesses take your extorted money and move their facilities overseas anyway!

Cash is king. They will put their grandmas in the gutter for a buck.
friend of rockport

Fitchburg, MA

#34 Apr 20, 2010
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
From a very close source. Not one of those employee have been offered the option to relocate with the company nor will they be.
Adida's has owned the company for about a year and a half. So it has not been to anyones knowledge for four years as stated in another email. And Adida's only hires third party so who would want to relocate and be a temp. Is it worth it. Take the pick slip.
I deeply wish all the employee the best.
My friend works there.They had an option to relocate managers and supervisors to start up the new plant.The first round of workers already went.Not sure if or when second crew will be offered to go.Who wants to pack up family and move.
me again

Haverhill, MA

#35 Nov 4, 2010
Rockport is still planning to close. Get those discount shoes now!
fhsmom

Fitchburg, MA

#36 Nov 8, 2010
me again wrote:
Rockport is still planning to close. Get those discount shoes now!
December 17th official closing date.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spartanburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any one knows John Birch from Boothill band? (Aug '09) Jan '17 Pdk 18
News Snow falls in some parts of SC, bitterly cold t... Jan '17 Facts Trump Libs 1
Police Corruption in South Carolina (Aug '09) Dec '16 Free baby girl 80
News GoFundMe started to 'protect' Betty White from ... Dec '16 Dr Wu 2
Murderer Jonathan Benny (Apr '15) Dec '16 Nett 6
The Midnight Sun (Mar '10) Dec '16 TheRealCJ 20
News S.C. lawmaker fears McCain wants to politicize ... (Dec '05) Nov '16 black history 2

Spartanburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spartanburg Mortgages