BMW to pay back wages to Spartanburg Co. workers

Full story: The Herald 71
BMW has agreed to pay $629,869 in back wages to 1,224 workers at its landmark plant in Spartanburg County under an agreement the German-based automaker reached with the U.S. Department of Labor. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#61 May 12, 2011
I feel sorry for you people. You can always quit and get another job. I am sure that there are a lot of people in SC who wants your jobs. Trust me, I would not want your job.

Location hidden

#62 May 13, 2011
snoopyzpal wrote:
<quoted text>
What can the Union provide for you as an individual or as a team that the company does not already provide? Make certain all avenues are visited before inviting an outsider to come into your home. Why give your hard earned money to a group of people that view "you" as just another number? Remember, they are only in it for the money. Why else would they want to form and get involved into your business? Hmmmm, could it be that for 4500 associates @$35 weekly dues for 52 weeks =$8,190,000 annually. That is alot of money to pay annually to some group just so that you can say your a member. This equates to $1820 of your earnings to a group that you don't even know! I would hate to know that I took this kind of money out of my families pocket to give away. But then again, what do I know. I once worked for the Union.
Same here. Was on strike for four months.
Ex Temp

Hickory, NC

#63 Dec 26, 2011
I worked at a temp at BMW for 1 1/2 years, then one night I got a phone call from BMW recruiting saying that I was hired. If you're working at BMW as a temp, don't lose hope. Just know that they only hire the ones who get the best performance reviews (yes, they review temps, they just don't tell you. I was told this by my BMW section leader)

I can speak to a few issues I've seen written about here:

-Long hours. Yes, most of the plant is on 12 hour shifts right now. Temp or Permanent worker, you need to take care of yourself

-Bad treatment. This is not something I have personally seen. I was treated pretty well when I was a temp, and that trend has continued under my new supervision since being hired on permanently.
You might wish to know

Haymarket, VA

#64 Jan 21, 2012
How Germany Builds Twice as Many Cars as the U.S. While Paying Its Workers Twice as Much
http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickallen/20...
----------
A tale of two systems
http://www.remappingdebate.org/article/tale-t...
----------
Your iPhone Was Built, In Part, By 13 Year-Olds Working 16 Hours A Day For 70 Cents An Hour
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-child-la...
----------
:-)

United States

#65 Jan 21, 2012
Glad.
alice

Kaneohe, HI

#66 Jan 22, 2012
i like Paul. Gingrish just ripped of SC. He is laughing about how he duped you poor people
You might wish to know

Haymarket, VA

#67 Feb 13, 2012
BMW expecting to build more vehicles from its North American plant in 2012.
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/2012/...

Location hidden

#68 Feb 19, 2012
another worker wrote:
Thats true way under paid, the associates has no say into anything its BmW's way or the highway, Cant wait for the UAW to come in
Did the UAW came in? Are things any better?
Why

Greenville, SC

#69 Mar 5, 2012
Notice that any job is done through a Temp agency for the plant? That way they can give a kickback to the Temp company and not have to hire the employee as full time and provide benefits. Also notice that all of the Jobs are non skilled production workers jobs. Never any white collar jobs available. In fact where are the white collar jobs in Spartanburg or Greenville county?
Jim

Meriden, CT

#70 Mar 6, 2012
Nowhere, Why.
Charles P Pierce

Livingston, TN

#71 Mar 8, 2012
worker wrote:
Everyone would be suprised at how many ways BMW employees are treated badly and unfairly.
The wages are nowhere close to compesating for the abuse.
VOTE FOR DEMOCRATS THE PARTY THAT HELPS WORKERS.

Obama to GOP: Who Are the Cowards Now?

Thank God bush is NOT President..

'John McCain, Lindsey Graham, and Joe Lieberman - the Moe, Larry, and Curly of the national-security state -

By Charles P. Pierce, Esquire Magazine
07 March 12
don't think we should ever minimize the political value of carefully bridled contempt. The president - who can, his attorney-general has said, pretty much kill anyone he wants, anywhere - held a press conference on (Super) Tuesday afternoon in which most of the questions were about the ongoing concerns about the Iranian nuclear program, the issue on which the Republican presidential candidates have become increasingly bellicose.'John McCain, Lindsey Graham, and Joe Lieberman - the Moe, Larry, and Curly of the national-security state - are all up in his grill now, too, about why he hasn't yet bombed the hell out of Syria.(Thanks, commenter Jennifer Hill!)'So the president took the opportunity to remind the entire noisy peanut gallery that it's easy to call for another war from the cheap seats:
Now, what is said on the campaign trail, you know, those folks don't have a lot of responsibilities. They are not commander-in-chief. And when I see the casualness with which some of these folks talk about war, I'm reminded of the costs involved in war. I'm reminded that the decision that I have to make, in terms of sending our young men and women into battle, and the impact that has on their lives, the impact it has on our national security, the impact it has on our economy. This is not a game, and there is nothing casual about it. And, you know, when I see some of these folks who have a lot of bluster and a lot of big talk, but when you actually ask them specifically what they would do, it turns out they repeat the things that we've been doing over the last three years. It indicates to me that that is more about politics than actually trying to solve a difficult problem. Now, the one thing that we have not done is we haven't launched a war. If some of these folks think that it's time to launch a war they should say so, and they should explain to the american people exactly why they would do that and what the consequences would be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spartanburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rts is it a scam (Aug '12) Dec 11 jessica 13
Police Corruption in South Carolina (Aug '09) Dec 9 Daniel 61
Hot Tub Threesome Ends In Arrest Of Male Partiers Dec 4 FTW Forever 43
Spartanburg Music Selection (Aug '12) Nov '14 Musikologist 11
michael burris Nov '14 little red riding... 1
The Midnight Sun (Mar '10) Nov '14 mspors 11
I am moving here and need a place to rent Nov '14 captianobvious 2
Spartanburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web