BMW to pay back wages to Spartanburg ...

BMW to pay back wages to Spartanburg Co. workers

There are 71 comments on the The Herald story from Aug 3, 2006, titled BMW to pay back wages to Spartanburg Co. workers. In it, The Herald reports that:

BMW has agreed to pay $629,869 in back wages to 1,224 workers at its landmark plant in Spartanburg County under an agreement the German-based automaker reached with the U.S. Department of Labor.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Herald.

ProdWorker

Chesnee, SC

#41 Aug 27, 2009
unemployed wrote:
I will be glad to take anyone's BMW job who does not appreciate it. Try making it with a family of 4 on $16,000 a year. Beans and taters might bring you back to reality.
I lived on beans and taters the first 25 years of my life so I honestly can say that I know where you are coming from. However, let me explain something to you about BMW. First of all, promotions or training on offline jobs are very rare unless you are in the "click" with management and someone really likes you. All you are seeing is the wages we make an hour but I can assure you that it isn't very rewarding at the end of the day to know you have been doing the same exact job for 10 years!!! That's a long time my friend and I won't even go into detail about the other BS we have to deal with on a daily basis Our bodies are just like machinery after awhile of doing the same thing over and over it's going to "wear out". When you can't get out of the bed in the mornings because your body is hurting so bad after working 10-11 hours it's time to change!!!! I am thankful for the time with the company which allowed me to raise my 2 kids into adults but now it's time to go. I'm taking their buyout with peace in my heart that it's the right thing for me. I may have to go back to beans and taters for awhile but I plan on investing that buyout money on myself. I'm going back to school to embark upon a new career before my body breaks completely down and my biological clock expires.
Fordguy

Bartlett, IL

#42 Sep 16, 2009
You said, "My feelings about quality is that if I make half of what a BMW worker makes, then all I'm responsible for is only half the quality."

You should be fired immediately.

As my father once told be when I was a kid when I mentioned I wasn't as careful about trimming the lawn of one customer since he paid me less than other customers. My dad told me, "what you are paid doesn't make any difference to the quality of the work you do. You agreed to do a job and you should do it the same, no matter what you are paid."

I hope they fire you ASAP.
bmw worker

Miami, FL

#43 Sep 21, 2009
Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you were replying to me, but I wanted to comment on a few things. I have been in your plant many times as well as several Ford, GM, Chrysler and Nissan plants. The BMW plant might or might not be your only automotive experience- but 330 cars/shift is a leisurely pace. I'm not belittling your complaints but at the minivan plant in St. Louis in the mid-90's, for example, they were building 1100 cars/shift. Many other plants run close to a pace like that. The BMW plant is the quietest, cleanest plant I have been in and air conditioned. Many Northern auto plants did not used to be air conditioned and still may not be. Also, the autoplants around Detroit are not the safest places to work. I have seen holes in the walls from gunshots, restrooms and even some areas of the plants that must be avoided. I won't mention whose autoplants they were but one common thread among them- many workers always seemed to be near homicidal. Location didn't matter- North or South- these people were always stressed to the max.
My complaint about the Automotive industry is that nothing is for certain these days. If we perform poorly- for certain we will soon be out of work, but even when we perform exceptionally well, it is no guarantee that we will keep our jobs. If it can be done a little cheaper tomorrow in Mexico or China- the work is gone.
what part of the plant did u visit because the linehas no air
bmw worker

Miami, FL

#44 Sep 21, 2009
i prayed for my job at the plant.That was 7yrs ago the company has changed so much that now im praying for a breakthru. I have had surgery twice and working on my third. You should never put money over your phyiscal health and family.If you havent physically worked at the plant you will never understand what its like. 75% of the work force is addictive to pain killers.people this is real!It's easy to judge and call names because you dont know! if this the kind of job u want i hope you get it!
prodworker

Chesnee, SC

#45 Sep 26, 2009
bmw worker wrote:
i prayed for my job at the plant.That was 7yrs ago the company has changed so much that now im praying for a breakthru. I have had surgery twice and working on my third. You should never put money over your phyiscal health and family.If you havent physically worked at the plant you will never understand what its like. 75% of the work force is addictive to pain killers.people this is real!It's easy to judge and call names because you dont know! if this the kind of job u want i hope you get it!
AMEN!!!
Trots

United States

#46 Mar 25, 2010
bmw worker wrote:
Word for that! I worked there for about a year as a temp. Nearly everyone was on prescription painkillers. I was taking arthritis strength tylenol soon after working. That repetitive stress on doing the same jobs day in and day out just wears the joints out.

The temps did not care about quality and many were there hoping for a real BMW job but, BMW wasn't interested in already half broken down out people.
Listening

Easley, SC

#47 Mar 26, 2010
"Word for that! I worked there for about a year as a temp. Nearly everyone was on prescription painkillers. I was taking arthritis strength tylenol soon after working. That repetitive stress on doing the same jobs day in and day out just wears the joints out."

But a Union won't help with that. I have family up north that work in auto plants in the Union and family here that works at BMW. The Northerners get no huge bonus in April. Their health insurance isn't any better and they are required to make 5 times as many cars per shift. Oh yeah, most got laid off with no hopes of going back, only 1 still has a job.....

PS Auto Factory work only requires a HS degree and pays better than most jobs with that low of a requirement. You really want it better quit and go to College. Everybody makes choices...

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#48 Apr 13, 2010
another worker wrote:
Thats true way under paid, the associates has no say into anything its BmW's way or the highway, Cant wait for the UAW to come in
Unions??? Yuck!
Mau temp

Spartanburg, SC

#49 Jun 4, 2010
Reading all of this is so disheartening to read. I'm one of the "temps" who was told that if I stuck around I would get a full time position soon. BMW only hires production workers through MAU, so I signed on, and not with the plan of being a temp, I wanted to do my time as a temp then move on, like they promised. I'm not sure if I'll bother anymore now that I know it likely won't happen.
Dirt racer

San Mateo, CA

#50 Aug 15, 2010
I work at BMW I'm also a mau. Yeah it sucks but it's a job. I make 16 bucks an hour working on the assembly line. It's not that hard of work. 310 cars a shift isn't to hard. Sometimes we get a break and only do 280 cars. Mau people won't get hired. They just say that to keep you there. I know Alot of people that been there for 5 years as a temp. Fuck that dump. Bye people.
Brad Lux

Timberlake, NC

#51 Aug 15, 2010
BMW treats thier people badly.I know i know you people will bash me but its the truth.Yeah its a job and its hard to get a job these days but they need to chill the hell out sometimes.16 bucks an hour is desent pay but they need to atleast pay the mau people 20 bucks an hour.They work just as hard as the full time employees.Mau sucks.They make a killing off each and every one of us.To them we are just a number.More like a 10 dollar an hour number for each of us.As soon as i can get out of this dump i am.Its all quanity not quality.Oh dont get me started on the supervisors,they my as well just clock out and go home.They do NOTHING AT ALL.I know from a reliable source that a few of them stays on facebook half of the shift.And dont make many defects or they will ship your ass to the bodyshop.lol.Thats where all the rejects go.Its really a joke to go in there and stand back and watch the circus operate.They preach no defects what so ever but we as humans will make mistakes.Try shooting 300 free throws without missing 2 or 3.IMPOSSIBLE unless you are Steve Nash.lol.Thats the same as saying build these 300 cars a shift and be damned if you miss 1 part.Goodbye clowns
Zinjonovic

Inman, SC

#52 Aug 16, 2010
STOPYOURBITCHIN wrote:
My husband works for a company that makes parts for BMW. He works just as hard and just as long of hours and doesnt make what you guys make. Not only that when your plant shuts down for a week or two you all get paid for it, and yet when you all shut down his plant has to shut down, but these guys dont get paid for it. They just get to sit at home and wait on things to get back up and running, while you all get to enjoy your two week holiday and not worry about how you are gonna pay the bills with no check coming in!
Actually, it did shut down for a week recently, and I didn't get paid.
Zinjonovic

Inman, SC

#53 Aug 16, 2010
Brad Lux wrote:
BMW treats thier people badly.I know i know you people will bash me but its the truth.Yeah its a job and its hard to get a job these days but they need to chill the hell out sometimes.16 bucks an hour is desent pay but they need to atleast pay the mau people 20 bucks an hour.They work just as hard as the full time employees.Mau sucks.They make a killing off each and every one of us.To them we are just a number.More like a 10 dollar an hour number for each of us.As soon as i can get out of this dump i am.Its all quanity not quality.Oh dont get me started on the supervisors,they my as well just clock out and go home.They do NOTHING AT ALL.I know from a reliable source that a few of them stays on facebook half of the shift.And dont make many defects or they will ship your ass to the bodyshop.lol.Thats where all the rejects go.Its really a joke to go in there and stand back and watch the circus operate.They preach no defects what so ever but we as humans will make mistakes.Try shooting 300 free throws without missing 2 or 3.IMPOSSIBLE unless you are Steve Nash.lol.Thats the same as saying build these 300 cars a shift and be damned if you miss 1 part.Goodbye clowns
Totally agree!!! I just quit there, man. And we don't call the guys offline support, we call em offline ESPN. They never know what's going on in the factory, but they know the damn football scores.
Zinjonovic

Inman, SC

#54 Aug 16, 2010
Dirt racer wrote:
I work at BMW I'm also a mau. Yeah it sucks but it's a job. I make 16 bucks an hour working on the assembly line. It's not that hard of work. 310 cars a shift isn't to hard. Sometimes we get a break and only do 280 cars. Mau people won't get hired. They just say that to keep you there. I know Alot of people that been there for 5 years as a temp. Fuck that dump. Bye people.
280 cars isn't a break, it just means you're working an extra hour on Thursday, or working a Saturday. Lol!!! Screwthis place.
Zinjonovic

Inman, SC

#55 Aug 16, 2010
bmw worker wrote:
<quoted text>what part of the plant did u visit because the linehas no air
Hahaha, so freaking true!!! They actually TURNED the air off a few weeks ago because it was costing too much, but the front offices are a nice 70 degrees!
Its a shame

United States

#56 Aug 27, 2010
I wouldn't care if they made $30-$40 dollars an hour. Its there money they worked hard for it so pay them. And for the workers that complaining about the jobs in NC relocate and move on!!!!!!
Brad Lux

Roxboro, NC

#57 Aug 29, 2010
bmw is a circus full of overpaid know it all clowns
geez

Merrillville, IN

#58 Mar 24, 2011
As BMW workers, you make less than half of what the same workers in Germany make. And do you know why you make half as much as them? Because the other half goes to your temp agency (MAU). How does it feel for someone else to get paid for your work for doing almost nothing. What a joke!
wife of an employee

Mauldin, SC

#59 May 11, 2011
It's bullcrap. If you get $16hr the temp gets half your pay for contracting you to BMW. If BMW would just hire the people and skip the temp company.... then you would be making $24hr.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#60 May 12, 2011
another worker wrote:
Thats true way under paid, the associates has no say into anything its BmW's way or the highway, Cant wait for the UAW to come in
Never going to happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spartanburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Midnight Sun (Mar '10) 19 hr TheRealCJ 20
Police Corruption in South Carolina (Aug '09) Dec 5 Tammy Jeffcoat 76
News S.C. lawmaker fears McCain wants to politicize ... (Dec '05) Nov 21 black history 2
Where to buy spice Nov 14 Smoker 1
News Details about suspect emerge after captive woma... Nov '16 Bill 4
News Search begins where woman was found chained up ... Nov '16 Mike 1
News Sheriff: Sex offender in custody after missing ... Nov '16 Mandy 2

Spartanburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Spartanburg Mortgages